Harrison Barnes and the New Orleans Pelicans

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Harrison Barnes and the New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#1 » by jackwindham » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm

At one point last summer, the New Orleans Pelicans reportedly had strong interest in signing Harrison Barnes as a free agent. Management was going to use all of their available cap space to provide Anthony Davis with a front court sidekick. However, the Pelicans instead opted to use that money to sign Solomon Hill, Tim Frazier, E'Twaun Moore, Langston Galloway, etc.

Do you think that was the better move? Would Barnes have been much help to Davis?
NetsDynasty2012
Senior
And1: 1,167

Re: Harrison Barnes and the New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#2 » by NetsDynasty2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

I'd definitely rather have Barnes than that trash heap of players
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Better for Barnes in Dallas. Rick Carlisle is a better coach than Gentry.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Jsmoke
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#4 » by Jsmoke » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 pm

I thought it would have been a good idea for us as it would have allowed Gentry to run a line up with Barnes at the 4 and Davis at the 5 which would have been a good frontline for a small ball line up.

However, with Davis not being the defender that Draymond is, this probably wouldn't have worked out well defensively like it did in Golden State, but its offensive potential would have been fun to watch.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,466

Post#5 » by Saints14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Saw this in Lowe's article and yeah, that would have been a solid move. Barnes would fare better as a secondary scorer, and Davis/Barnes would have made a nice small ball frontcourt. Holiday/Hield/Barnes/Davis/Asik would be a pretty decent starting lineup.

Although, it would have smelled way too much like the Holiday/Evans signings they made instead of continuing to build through the draft, but at this point it's kind of too late in AD's career to go the draft route.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#6 » by Jon1798 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:03 pm

I stated many times in the past to look out for the Pels with Barnes. Harrison played for Gentry in Golden State, had already proven to be a good small ball SF/PF, and was in the same draft class and on same general timeline as AD. My understanding was at max money, he chose Dallas over the Pels and we never really had a shot in the end.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
CarMalone
Sixth Man
And1: 2,628

Post#7 » by CarMalone » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 pm

The Pelicans are probably better off losing as many games as possible and getting a high draft pick. If not, they run the risk of becoming a perennial treadmill team or at best a second tier team.
MJ is the GOAT, but LeBron can be if he does 2 of the following:
[X] Win another FMVP
[ ] Win another MVP
[X] 40K/10K/10K career

ACHIEVED 3/2/2024
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#8 » by baldur » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm

CarMalone wrote:The Pelicans are probably better off losing as many games as possible and getting a high draft pick. If not, they run the risk of becoming a perennial treadmill team or at best a second tier team.

You can't lose deliberately so easily with a top 10 player in your roster.
CarMalone
Sixth Man
And1: 2,628

Post#9 » by CarMalone » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 pm

baldur wrote:
CarMalone wrote:The Pelicans are probably better off losing as many games as possible and getting a high draft pick. If not, they run the risk of becoming a perennial treadmill team or at best a second tier team.

You can't lose deliberately so easily with a top 10 player in your roster.

True. The Pelicans wasted Davis's early years by trying to be competitive and going for veterans like Ryan Anderson, Omer Asik, Jrue Holiday, etc.
MJ is the GOAT, but LeBron can be if he does 2 of the following:
[X] Win another FMVP
[ ] Win another MVP
[X] 40K/10K/10K career

ACHIEVED 3/2/2024
NBA4u
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#10 » by NBA4u » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm

jackwindham wrote:At one point last summer, the New Orleans Pelicans reportedly had strong interest in signing Harrison Barnes as a free agent. Management was going to use all of their available cap space to provide Anthony Davis with a front court sidekick. However, the Pelicans instead opted to use that money to sign Solomon Hill, Tim Frazier, E'Twaun Moore, Langston Galloway, etc.

Do you think that was the better move? Would Barnes have been much help to Davis?

Yes, simply because barnes is about to ener his peak and with his athleticism and length defensively, would have definitely been a nice combo with Davis. Don't think it was a horrendous move to get those roleplayers though
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#11 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Amazing timing that this breaks as Barnes establishes himself as a better player than most thought, myself included.

As I said on the WT post: ranks right up there with Chip Kelly's "I wanted to draft Dak but they wouldnt let me" line.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,865

Post#12 » by 510TWSS » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 pm

I think HB would've fit in, although maybe not the ppg scorer he is right now on Dallas. Although, you could argue it's better for him being a secondary scorer.

Return to The General Board