The SF position is stacked

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Re: The SF position is stacked 

Post#21 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:I mean ok he is past his peak and all but still he is a very good player.

Pet peeve - People starting a new thought in a new conversation with "I mean". You haven't said anything yet to clarify lol.

Do i really need to clarify that Carmelo freaking Anthony is a very good player? What?

If he could embrace playing the 4 he'd be an even better player.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#22 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm

WestGOAT wrote:People have been saying the PG position is currently in its Golden Era, but take a look at the consensus top SFs:

LeBron Raymone James
Kevin Wayne Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Gordon Daniel Hayward

Then you have the likes of who could still make a "leap" like Butler (who did it twice actually!): Harrison Barnes, Otto Porter Jr., Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins. That's a crazy amount of talent for one position.

And with the recent influx of talented big-men, like Embiid etc, the PF/C position will be fine as well. SG is pretty meh in comparison with DeRozan, Klay, McCollum and Harden if you consider him one still.

Um, Otto is better than Barnes, Jabari, and Wiggins... and it aint close

http://bkref.com/tiny/DSS6i

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/5
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#23 » by PeptoKlepto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm

jamalkandur wrote:Not as much as PG position;

Chris Ezekiel Homer Paul
Russell Herman Kelly Westbrook
James Milton Cecil Harden
John Dana Alvin Wall
Kyle Clarence Alfred Lowry
Isaiah Randolph Ariel Thomas
Kyrie Melvin Ernest Irving
Mike Oliver Alexis Conley
Damian Eugene Hubert Lillard
Rajon Claude Elmer Rondo
Jrue Chester Virgil Holiday
George Kendall Herbert Hill
Darren Jeremiah Ashley Collison
Ty Wilbur Gaylord Lawson
Ramon Barney Oswald Sessions
Kemba Wilbur Frederick Walker
Eric Lindsey Logan Bledsoe
D'Angelo Whitney Ishmael Russell

I think you might be forgetting that Curry guy.

Think he plays for Dallas or something?
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#24 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Golabki wrote:and you have to give George a bit of a mulligan on this year.

Eh? A mulligan? Guy is averaging 22-6-3 on the most efficient shooting of his career (45%, 39%, and 93%). As a guy who is also most known as an elite defender. He was also not long ago listed as the best scorer in clutch situations in the NBA this year. Giannis for sure, and maybe Butler have passed him this year, but he needs no mulligan. People are just getting used to him doing this type of thing now.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#25 » by Golabki » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 pm

xBulletproof wrote:

Eh? A mulligan? Guy is averaging 22-6-3 on the most efficient shooting of his career (45%, 39%, and 93%). As a guy who is also most known as an elite defender. He was also not long ago listed as the best scorer in clutch situations in the NBA this year. Giannis for sure, and maybe Butler have passed him this year, but he needs no mulligan. People are just getting used to him doing this type of thing now.

His PTS/REB/AST numbers are all down from last year. His all-stats (PER, BPM, RPM) are all down. His team is mediocre. Last year, he's on the list no question. This year I think it's a bit of a question if he's better than say, Anthony Davis.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#26 » by OptionZero » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:40 pm

OP is misguided. Sure, there's that list of guys that are all very good players (i wouldn't be so quick to put Melo on there, as he's old and declining; at any rate, he's gonna be off that list quick)

The issue in the league is that list sure as hell ain't 15 or 20 deep, definitely not 30. You got maybe a half dozen or so dudes who can be called elite

THEN, because those guys play alot of 4, their teams actually need ANOTHER 3 to slide in next to them, as well as a quality 2 to complete the lineup

When broken ass Chandler Parsons is getting 20M, empty scorer Harrison Barnes is getting 20M, useful but not elite Alan Crabbe is getting 18.5 . . . its pretty clear that the wing market is extremely rough. Courtney Lee at $12.5 is about double his last annual salary and that was considered a good deal, and he's THIRTY YEARS OLD!!!

so are the dudes listed good? heck yeah (except Melo)
but if ur a FA and a SF, ur gonna do a hell of alot better for yourself than a center or PG
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#27 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:I mean ok he is past his peak and all but still he is a very good player.

Pet peeve - People starting a new thought in a new conversation with "I mean". You haven't said anything yet to clarify lol.

Do i really need to clarify that Carmelo freaking Anthony is a very good player? What?

You missed my point.

"ok he is past his peak and all but still he is a very good player" was your first post in this thread. Why say "I mean" first? You would say "I mean" to clarify something you said before. You didn't say anything before.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#28 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm

NeoWarriors wrote:

Chris Ezekiel Homer Paul
John Dana Alvin Wall
Rajon Claude Elmer Rondo
Ty Wilbur Gaylord Lawson

there's a pretty large omission from your list... Wardell Stephen Curry

Jeremy Shu-How LIn
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#29 » by SlimD235 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:
Gary Cokeman wrote:Don't put Melo in with all those other names, it looks ugly :/

I mean ok he is past his peak and all but still he is a very good player.

Dude. Yes.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#30 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 pm

WestGOAT wrote:People have been saying the PG position is currently in its Golden Era, but take a look at the consensus top SFs:

LeBron Raymone James
Kevin Wayne Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Gordon Daniel Hayward

Then you have the likes of who could still make a "leap" like Butler (who did it twice actually!): Harrison Barnes, Otto Porter Jr., Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins. That's a crazy amount of talent for one position.

And with the recent influx of talented big-men, like Embiid etc, the PF/C position will be fine as well. SG is pretty meh in comparison with DeRozan, Klay, McCollum and Harden if you consider him one still.

SF and PG are the two strongest positions both in terms of high end talent and depth. It's possible that 9/10 best players in the league play one of these 2 positions with Anthony Davis being the only exception.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#31 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Golabki wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:

His PTS/REB/AST numbers are all down from last year. His all-stats (PER, BPM, RPM) are all down. His team is mediocre. Last year, he's on the list no question. This year I think it's a bit of a question if he's better than say, Anthony Davis.

Of course those numbers are down, because his usage % is down as well. He has the ball less. The thing people aren't talking about is Jeff Teague. Who over the last 20 is averaging 16 points and 10 assists on 49% shooting. Paul has never played with an actual point guard before, which is taking the ball out of his hands.

I'll take a guy with a lower usage % and higher efficiency, over more inefficiency just because he has a better "PER" rating, as if that PER rating means ANYTHING on the court.

As far as the team goes, the team last year had 45 wins. They weren't exactly world beaters because Paul had the ball more often. Last year's team had a win % .549 and this year it's .537. It's easily conceivable this team will beat 45 wins.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#32 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:16 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

LeBron Raymone James
Kevin Wayne Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Gordon Daniel Hayward

Stop being a homer, you're comparing a 3rd or 4th option who gets spoon fed by wall to first and second options, its not the same at all
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#33 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

LeBron Raymone James
Kevin Wayne Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Gordon Daniel Hayward

Stop being a homer, you're comparing a 3rd or 4th option who gets spoon fed by wall to first and second options, its not the same at all

Homer? LOL. Right chief. how about you pick one meaningful metric...ONE, that ANY of those three are better at than Otto. Ill help you by listing the Metrics that Otto is better than ALL three of them at:

Otto is MUCH Better than them at:
ORtg
TS%
eFG%
BLK%
TRB%
STL%
WS
WS/48
OBPM
DBPM
ORPM
DRPM
VORP

Otto is a little better than them at:
TOV%
DRTG

Your Turn....
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#34 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Otto Porter isn't mentioned who is a top 6 SF this year and probably the best 3 point shooter in the game right now.
Saint_Killa
Rookie
And1: 2,005

Post#35 » by Saint_Killa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 pm

NeoWarriors wrote:

Chris Ezekiel Homer Paul
John Dana Alvin Wall
Rajon Claude Elmer Rondo
Ty Wilbur Gaylord Lawson

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never stop believin
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#36 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

LeBron Raymone James
Kevin Wayne Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Gordon Daniel Hayward

He's not being a homer. Otto is better than Barnes, Jabari, and Wiggins. He just doesn't get the touches those guys get but every advanced stat ranks him way higher than those guys. Otto's RPM, ORtg, and DRtg is miles ahead of those players.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#37 » by spacemonkey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 am

bobobolas10 wrote:It is so stacked that top tier teams like the clippers dont even have a SF in the roster. I wonder how will they defend players like KD, Khawi or Parsons. (In the playoffs)

One of these is not like the others.

BOOM you guessed it! Kawhi and Parsons didn't join the best team in the NBA hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sick burns
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#38 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:49 am

Watching Giannis play the point center the other night blew my mind. Dude is going to run the East with Embiid for the foreseeable future.
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 413

Post#39 » by The Hypnotoad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 am

Shooting guard is not. Klay Thompson is elite player at that position full time.

Return to The General Board