Le Betard criticizes Magic hiring, now accused of racism by ESPN hosts.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Nyphantom
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,248

Le Betard criticizes Magic hiring, now accused of racism by ESPN hosts. 

Post#1 » by Nyphantom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm

http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/magic-johnson-debate-turns-into-espn-on-espn-racism-claims/

“What you’ve got here though, is a testament to the power of fame. And a testament to the power of a modicum of charm,” Le Batard said. “Because Magic Johnson is charming. But Magic Johnson was given a late night television show because he’s famous and charming. Failed in 11 shows. Magic Johnson was given a head coaching job of the Lakers because he’s famous and charming. Failed in 16 games. Magic Johnson, not interesting as a broadcaster, given broadcasting opportunity after broadcasting opportunity, because he’s famous and charming.

“And now, he gets to run the entire Lakers organization because he’s famous and charming. But he wasn’t good at any of those jobs I just mentioned, and he got all of those jobs, bypassing a whole lot of people who are more qualified, because he’s famous and charming.”

Keyshawn Johnson resumed the topic on his Los Angeles-based ESPN radio show, defending Magic Johnson and urging Le Batard to “shut up” after spewing inaccurate and insensitive insults at the Lakers great. Johnson, who joined ESPN as an analyst after retiring from the NFL in 2006, suggested Le Batard’s personal attack on Magic Johnson and his qualifications was a sign of racism.

“I’m going to read between the lines, I’m going to read between the lines on this one,” he said. “To me, he saying because he’s a black dude, that’s the way I look at it …”

Sedano: “If you are insinuating that Dan is like being prejudiced here …”
Johnson: “That’s what I’m insinuating …”

Mychal Thompson, a former teammate of Magic Johnson’s on the Lakers in the late ’80s and early ’90s, called into the show to shoot down Sedano’s counter-claims.

“Sedano, you’re pissing me off. You gotta stop defending this Le Batard,” Thompson said. “How dare he question Magic’s credentials and qualifications, when this man is a basketball genius. What does he want? … That ticked me off when I heard that, I’m with you Key, that was some kind of veiled racist comment there.”

Thoughts? I expect Le Betard to issue an apology for his comments.
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,734

Re: Le Betard criticizes Magic hiring, now accused of racism by ESPN hosts. 

Post#2 » by Fantaxp7 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Does Le Batard have some history of racism? I am not too familiar with him. Outside of Magic that is.

If not, I hate it when people point to racism as some sort of argument and it's baseless. It's like a scape goat in arguments sometimes.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,334

Post#3 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Did I miss something because I have no idea where Keyshawn Johnson is getting this from and it seems baseless.

There's lots of us that think Magic will suck btw.
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,988

Post#4 » by Dubious Handles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm

RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#5 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Did anyone question or bash Larry Bird pacers, Kevin McHale wolves being GM. I mean basing everything on tweets he made is wrong.

Magic has a lot of resources to help him make better decisions. Scouts, rob pelinka etc He will know exactly what's going on

Atleast give him a chance before writing him off. He was brilliant on the court

Not sure it's racism though
Raptors til death
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,826

Post#6 » by cwas2882 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

This all makes more sense when you just equate ESPN with TMZ. They encourage sensationalism.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#7 » by dlts20 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Apologize for what? I'm black. Mostly I like Dan but every once in a while he says something suspect but this right here was just basic criticism.
TheDeadDodo
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#8 » by TheDeadDodo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:At least give him a chance before writing him off. He was brilliant on the court.

Being brilliant on the court guarantees nothing. Phil Jackson was a brilliant coach and can't run a front office worth a damn. It's possible that Magic learns on the job in a hurry, but for a team in this state a rookie exec wouldn't have been my first pick. I have the same reservations about Pelinka (Myers up in GS had the benefit of Jerry West looking over his shoulder). As for racism, I don't see any. ESPN's just stirring up **** for nothing.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,993

Post#9 » by RCM88x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

He litterally said the same thing about John Lynch and the 49ers a few weeks ago.

This might be the saddest attempt at "social justice" in the history of humanity by any public figures, and that's really saying something.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,469

Post#10 » by chrisab123 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Nyphantom wrote:http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/magic-johnson-debate-turns-into-espn-on-espn-racism-claims/

“What you’ve got here though, is a testament to the power of fame. And a testament to the power of a modicum of charm,” Le Batard said. “Because Magic Johnson is charming. But Magic Johnson was given a late night television show because he’s famous and charming. Failed in 11 shows. Magic Johnson was given a head coaching job of the Lakers because he’s famous and charming. Failed in 16 games. Magic Johnson, not interesting as a broadcaster, given broadcasting opportunity after broadcasting opportunity, because he’s famous and charming.

“And now, he gets to run the entire Lakers organization because he’s famous and charming. But he wasn’t good at any of those jobs I just mentioned, and he got all of those jobs, bypassing a whole lot of people who are more qualified, because he’s famous and charming.”

Keyshawn Johnson resumed the topic on his Los Angeles-based ESPN radio show, defending Magic Johnson and urging Le Batard to “shut up” after spewing inaccurate and insensitive insults at the Lakers great. Johnson, who joined ESPN as an analyst after retiring from the NFL in 2006, suggested Le Batard’s personal attack on Magic Johnson and his qualifications was a sign of racism.

“I’m going to read between the lines, I’m going to read between the lines on this one,” he said. “To me, he saying because he’s a black dude, that’s the way I look at it …”

Sedano: “If you are insinuating that Dan is like being prejudiced here …”
Johnson: “That’s what I’m insinuating …”

Mychal Thompson, a former teammate of Magic Johnson’s on the Lakers in the late ’80s and early ’90s, called into the show to shoot down Sedano’s counter-claims.

“Sedano, you’re pissing me off. You gotta stop defending this Le Batard,” Thompson said. “How dare he question Magic’s credentials and qualifications, when this man is a basketball genius. What does he want? … That ticked me off when I heard that, I’m with you Key, that was some kind of veiled racist comment there.”

Thoughts? I expect Le Betard to issue an apology for his comments.

Hahaha this guy was one of the biggest race baiters about Boston when the whole Gordon Hayward saga was going on. **** him. Roast.

On the other hand nothing he said is racist. Magic Johnson could end up becoming another Jordan or Isaiah where they were great players but horrible at picking talent for the team. I personally have no clue. The one thing he has going for him is that the Lakers have young talent there already and a solid coach.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#11 » by DowJones » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:Did anyone question or bash Larry Bird pacers, Kevin McHale wolves being GM. I mean basing everything on tweets he made is wrong.

Magic has a lot of resources to help him make better decisions. Scouts, rob pelinka etc He will know exactly what's going on

Atleast give him a chance before writing him off. He was brilliant on the court

Not sure it's racism though

Magic admitted his own ignorance though. He admitted he didn't my know the CBA. Why hire someone for the top spot that doesn't even know the CBA? Why hire someone for the top spot that has almost no experience at that job? On top of all that, every single time I listened to Magic speak about basketball, he never said anything interesting. He never told me something I didn't know.

LeBatard said the same things about John Lynch and Bill Parcells.

What's funny is that LeBatard was always called a "social justice warrior" by listeners because of his views. He was accused of lecturing white people on race issues. Years of doing that apparently bought him nothing. It is sad.

Magic, on paper, was a terrible hire for LA.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm

So he thinks the hire is just based off of popularity and thinks he's going to fail and brings up some past things Magic was hired for because he was popular that he ended up failing at as some basis to why he is saying this. And for this he's racist?

Ya that makes total sense....
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#13 » by Def Swami » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

I can understand where Keyshawn Johnson is coming from considering there are so few minority men and women in executive positions in the NBA and Le Betard is undermining his qualifications to hold these positions. But, I don't think Le Betard is intentionally invoking race here. He may have to qualify what he was saying; I can also see where Le Betard is coming from as well considering so many NBA on-lookers and fans found the hire somewhat dubious and no one else was considered.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#14 » by XTraderXL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Racism?? Haha, Americans are funny blaming everyone of being racist just because they criticize someone who happens to be of a different race. Its like calling Stephen A. Smith a racist when he was criticizing the hire of Kerr as a GSW HC. Nobody called him racist for that and now Le Batard (who is right) is being called names. Magic hasnt been successful with anything in regards to basketball after he retired as a player. And I really dont find him charming at all, in fact for me its hard to even listen to him for an extended period of time. When he talks about basketball, I dont find out anything new from him, just stating the obvious. For me he is in Shaq category, both are clowns. Since he has the last say in everything basketball related, I think he will be fired or quit by himself and make a bogus excuse for his failure.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#15 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:38 pm

TheDeadDodo wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:At least give him a chance before writing him off. He was brilliant on the court.

Being brilliant on the court guarantees nothing. Phil Jackson was a brilliant coach and can't run a front office worth a damn. It's possible that Magic learns on the job in a hurry, but for a team in this state a rookie exec wouldn't have been my first pick. I have the same reservations about Pelinka (Myers up in GS had the benefit of Jerry West looking over his shoulder). As for racism, I don't see any. ESPN's just stirring up **** for nothing.

Like I said did anyone start bashing Larry Bird when the Pacers hired him or Timberwolves when they hired kevin Mcchale I don't think so. They gave them a chance because of their high basketball IQ. Same chance should given to Magic
Raptors til death
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#16 » by laploutocratie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 pm

How is any of what he said racist? Some people seeing things that aren't there.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,700

Post#17 » by Homerclease » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 pm

ESPN is a dumpster fire pretty much across the board at this point
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#18 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Maybe Johnson will prove to be great GM, and maybe he won't. So what? Nobody is immune from criticism. Screaming racism because some tv personality makes a statement about the qualifications of some ex-athlete is ridiculous. For the record, I don't much like Le Batard, and his background pretty much describes a typical, liberal SJW.
I remember back in the seventies when the UW hire ex-Badger great Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch to be the AD. I wondered about that one, and as the football and basketball teams suffered years of mediocrity under Hirsch, I was hoping he'd quit or get fired. But everybody liked Hirsch.
It was only until he was gone and Pat Richter took over hiring Barry Alvarez for football coach and Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan for basketball coaches did the Badgers have a resurgence.
Like I said, maybe Magic will turn out to be a great GM. But calling someone a racist because they questioned his hiring is stupid.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 59,049

Post#19 » by Froob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
TheDeadDodo wrote:

Like I said did anyone start bashing Larry Bird when the Pacers hired him or Timberwolves when they hired kevin Mcchale I don't think so. They gave them a chance because of their high basketball IQ. Same chance should given to Magic

Didn't Dubs get **** for hiring Kerr?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
TheDeadDodo
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#20 » by TheDeadDodo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
TheDeadDodo wrote:

Bird got a free pass (and proceeded to succeed right off the bat), but I don't remember McHale getting a very positive response at all. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you're bringing on a relatively inexperienced hire, you need to give them some time working in the trenches so that they'll understand the ins and outs of the organization instead of just seeing it all from the top. What Denver did with John Elway should be a model to follow.

Froob wrote:Didn't Dubs get **** for hiring Kerr?

Yep. Even the people who thought that firing Jackson was a good idea weren't on the Kerr bandwagon early. They figured he'd need at least a year or two to adjust, because brains and talent can't usually substitute for experience.

Return to The General Board