Ball Family & Big Baller Brand Megathread

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ball Family & Big Baller Brand Megathread 

Post#1421 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sun May 21, 2017 3:48 pm

jswede wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:
MrCheerios wrote:Doesn't cost enough to start it? It's already started. If he's already selling merchandise and taking pre-orders, he's got employees. Unless he's designed and maintained the website, designed the shoes, and doing all the bookkeeping himself the labor costs alone are probably a quarter million a year at the very least.

I had a small business with five full time and a handful of part time staff. None of my employees were college educated or highly trained, but wages alone approached $200k annually, not including benefits. There are tons of expenses in every business beyond inventory costs. And his employees are going to be much more expensive than mine were. Getting a business off the ground takes a lot of initial investment, even an online retailer. If you're at the point where you're ready to deliver product, you're invested for several hundred thousand.

Most people need to take out loans to start businesses. He's got his son.

Any business started with debt is a bad business. If the business is a good opportunity people want equity in it. Mark Cuban said that.

And he isn't hiring employees. He is most likely outsourcing the work or giving up a sliver of equity for people taking on roles and responsibilities.

I've worked in the venture capital arena. Your ideas of how startup companies work are way off base.

The only reason a startup company would take on debt is if they need to balance their corporate financing structure and lower their cost of capital. You take on debt on your balance sheet to use the interest on the loan to write off against early revenue. This business is just entering the revenue stage.

He's got plenty of capital to finance a website.

Matt Drudge runs his entire website out of a condo with one employee. A slightly bigger operation.

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile

You have very little idea what you are talking about. Starting a company with debt is how you get rich. You keep the equity. Starting a company by selling ownership stake is how you get others rich. Do you see now why Mark Cuban said that?

Yo buddy. You don't take on debt if you don't have to unless its to offset revenue.

And of course you dont want to give up equity if you dont have to. Thats just the way things work.

When someone issues debt financing to a startup they take warrants so if the company blows up the people who took the risk financing them make out too.

RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Re: Ball Family & Big Baller Brand Megathread 

Post#1422 » by RightToCensor » Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 pm

BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#1423 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:11 pm

That comment about Kryie and his mom smh the man is a POS

I hope they all fail and crash hard in the NBA.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1424 » by RightToCensor » Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:That comment about Kryie and his mom smh the man is a POS

I hope they all fail and crash hard in the NBA.

Why they? Why not Lavar?
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ball Family & Big Baller Brand Megathread 

Post#1425 » by MrCheerios » Sun May 21, 2017 6:52 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:
jswede wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:Any business started with debt is a bad business. If the business is a good opportunity people want equity in it. Mark Cuban said that.

And he isn't hiring employees. He is most likely outsourcing the work or giving up a sliver of equity for people taking on roles and responsibilities.

I've worked in the venture capital arena. Your ideas of how startup companies work are way off base.

The only reason a startup company would take on debt is if they need to balance their corporate financing structure and lower their cost of capital. You take on debt on your balance sheet to use the interest on the loan to write off against early revenue. This business is just entering the revenue stage.

He's got plenty of capital to finance a website.

Matt Drudge runs his entire website out of a condo with one employee. A slightly bigger operation.

You have very little idea what you are talking about. Starting a company with debt is how you get rich. You keep the equity. Starting a company by selling ownership stake is how you get others rich. Do you see now why Mark Cuban said that?

Yo buddy. You don't take on debt if you don't have to unless its to offset revenue.

And of course you dont want to give up equity if you dont have to. Thats just the way things work.

When someone issues debt financing to a startup they take warrants so if the company blows up the people who took the risk financing them make out too.

Several successful businesses are funded by their founders. VC and angel investors are not the only way to go and you have to give up tons of equity by going that route. Ball is not doing that, his son is about to be a multi-millionaire. You said yourself he's got plenty of capital to fund the website. Your VC experience does not apply here. You probably don't even get out of bed for less than 25% equity or any investment under a million dollars. Yet, you think Lavar has invested nothing into BBB and has zero risk? If he's invested nothing, he will get nothing if it grows. That's a fact.

BBB isn't the Drudge Report, btw. That's a news/political blog that sells ad space on their site. It takes no manpower. BBB is an online retailer. They've been operational and selling product for a year now. They sell lots of products, probably way too many products. Operations involve costs. I have friends that work for startups and they get paid salaries in actual US dollars, not just "slivers" of equity. The notion that he can get essentially free labor by outsourcing or giving up teeny tiny amounts of equity is absurd.

And regardless of the financing, if BBB is truly cutting costs at every corner at this stage they're already doomed. He's selling $500 sneakers. Their only chance to survive is to make the Ferrari of bball shoes, ultra premium product to a niche audience. If they are selling cheap Chinese template sneakers with a BBB logo stamped on it, people will know immediately. In that case, their first customers would be the last.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#1426 » by cdubbz » Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm

How many shoes will BBB have to make for Lonzo To play in this season? Someone said 100 pairs earlier and I would say that sounds right. Different color ways etc. Not that cost will be a problem since he's gonna be a multi millionaire but 100 shoes a season is a lot of money
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1427 » by RightToCensor » Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 pm

100 pair? That's kinda ridiculous.

A pair of game shoes can definitely be worn twice a season, I think he could survive with 50 pairs of game shoes throughout an 82 game season. Once he gets his NBA money, he'll be able to afford his own custom colorways for the ZO2.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#1428 » by cdubbz » Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 pm

RightToCensor wrote:100 pair? That's kinda ridiculous.

A pair of game shoes can definitely be worn twice a season, I think he could survive with 50 pairs of game shoes throughout an 82 game season. Once he gets his NBA money, he'll be able to afford his own custom colorways for the ZO2.

Have a feeling hell auction off game worn shoes after playing in them. He'll need a colorway for home/away, rookie game, christmas day maybe, etc. Doubt BBB will roll out one colorway for the whole season
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1429 » by RightToCensor » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

I wonder if Lonzo could use BBB basketball accessories, too. I remember Dwight using Adidas exclusive arm sleeves.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#1430 » by lamscott » Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 pm

That comment about Kyrie's mom could be the first nail in Lavar's coffin. Not Lonzo, but definitely Lavar.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#1431 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 pm

He won't need 100 pair. Wherever he goes likely isn't making the playoffs.

It's rare for a player to wear new shoes every game. Some do it once every few games, or even every few weeks.

He can probably get by with 40 pairs easy.
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#1432 » by 7-12-52 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 am

It may have been discussed in here already but is this even legal? LiAngelo and LaMelo are both mentioned by name on the Big Baller website. How does this not count as profiting from their likeness? It seems to me he is gambling with his boys eligibility and I'm shocked it has been allowed this long.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1433 » by RightToCensor » Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 am

I think it'd be weird for the NCAA to deny a family owned business to acknowledge one of the family members. If LiAngelo and LaMelo were directly making money off their namesake as in they had merch exclusive to their likeness, then there'd be a problem.

I'm not saying that's how it goes, it's just my two cents on how I think it should be interpreted.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1434 » by RightToCensor » Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 am

Give this man 3 billion already

RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1435 » by RightToCensor » Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 am

Read on Twitter
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#1436 » by RookieStar » Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 am

RightToCensor wrote:Give this man 3 billion already

Is this for real? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#1437 » by RightToCensor » Thu May 25, 2017 4:57 am

RookieStar wrote:
RightToCensor wrote:Give this man 3 billion already

Is this for real? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://bigballerbrand.com/collections/frontpage/products/stay-in-yo-lane-tee-by-lavar-ball-women-s-gold-foil
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#1438 » by RookieStar » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 am

LOL that's just trolling
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#1439 » by Gus McCrae » Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I'll give it to him that's kind of funny
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#1440 » by MrCheerios » Thu May 25, 2017 3:38 pm

You can get away with a lot of stuff if you're funny. And that shirt is pretty funny.

Return to The General Board