Stein: Embiid "very likely" to have knee surgery

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: Stein: Embiid "very likely" to have knee surgery 

Post#21 » by skones » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:46 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
skones wrote:
It was widely reported that the tear wasn't serious and that this wouldn't require surgery. Well, turns out, that's false. If it's a repair, that probably shelves him for 4 to 5 months I would think? Typically three, but with his history?

Oops, my bad, this was from 3/1, he was expected to have surgery.

http://www.derekbodner.com/2017/02/11/joel-embiid-has-a-torn-meniscus-in-his-left-knee/

Hm, can meniscus' heal tearing? Didn't think that was something that happened. I know that this was expected for a while, at least, and I've even posted about it taking longer than I would have expected to have the surgery.

I'm not an expert, and this is from biology in college, but cartilage (ie the meniscus) is capable of healing itself but it's metabolism is very slow. If it was a small tear, the meniscus could repair itself. Problem is, a lot of meniscus tears are the product of "wear and tear," thus it's plausible that the injury could have worsened over the course of the last couple of months.

Or that's my guess. The big thing here, is that if the above was the case, and he's not going through the rigors of an NBA schedule, that's just his body responding to a small tear (again if that's what it was). That's NOT good.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,249

Post#22 » by Statlanta » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Feel bad for him and hope he gets some health. But imagine he gets a Steph Curry contract(for insurance for his career) and stays healthy. Absolute best case scenario situation but that would be insane going forward for Philly.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#23 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
skones wrote:
It was widely reported that the tear wasn't serious and that this wouldn't require surgery. Well, turns out, that's false. If it's a repair, that probably shelves him for 4 to 5 months I would think? Typically three, but with his history?

Oops, my bad, this was from 3/1, he was expected to have surgery.

http://www.derekbodner.com/2017/02/11/joel-embiid-has-a-torn-meniscus-in-his-left-knee/

Hm, can meniscus' tearing heal? Didn't think that was something that happened. I know that this was expected for a while, at least, and I've even posted on here about it taking longer than I would have expected for him to have had surgery.

I believe so, but if the injury is severe enough they either repair or remove it, seems they're going for repair with him. Posted the wrong link there.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#24 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm

el13adnino wrote:next season will decide his career.
if he gets injured again, he should walk under his own terms.

I think someone would throw a 2 year deal at him(maybe with a team option), if he plays 30-40 games next season and gets injured afterwards. Why not take the extra cash?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#25 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 pm

skones wrote:I'm not an expert, and this is from biology in college, but cartilage (ie the meniscus) is capable of healing itself but it's metabolism is very slow. If it was a small tear, the meniscus could repair itself. Problem is, a lot of meniscus tears are the product of "wear and tear," thus it's plausible that the injury could have worsened over the course of the last couple of months.

Or that's my guess. The big thing here, is that if the above was the case, and he's not going through the rigors of an NBA schedule, that's just his body responding to a small tear (again if that's what it was). That's NOT good.

I should have paid more attention in biology. :P

Perhaps I just expected surgery because it was him. I suppose we're waiting for the specifics then.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#26 » by prs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

At least it's just a meniscus tear and it's another good sign if they don't need to remove cartilidge. Not gonna lie and say that I'm optismistic about his career though. Its looking like hes just going to keep getting injuries until hes out of the NBA. Hopefully not because he looks like a great player but yea.....
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#27 » by Basileus777 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 pm

He's still a max player and if Philly doesn't give it to him some other team will put up a max offer sheet next year (which Philly will match). This talk of giving him lesser deals is still crazy.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#28 » by rumdiary » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Stadium5 wrote:Too young to be injured this often. Held out hope before just because of badly I wanted to see his talent on display. But he's looking like another Oden/Bynum

Been reading these kinda comments for three years now.
10DayContract
Starter
And1: 2,319

Post#29 » by 10DayContract » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 pm

bondom34 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Meniscus tear, wasn't this expected?

I would have thought.

Well, people thought the Sixers were tanking. I guess this proves the injury was legit.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#30 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Shocking that big man with poor health in his knees/legs fails to find health in the NBA. Depending on their luck in the lottery (could have two top five picks or zero in the top 5), the Embiid/Okafor debacle and lack of any value from those picks might be the thing that keeps them from winning 60 games.
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#31 » by Basileus777 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

10DayContract wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Meniscus tear, wasn't this expected?

I would have thought.

Well, people thought the Sixers were tanking. I guess this proves the injury was legit.

Of course it was legit. Philly wouldn't do this to the future of their franchise if he wasn't actually hurt.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#32 » by Optms » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Basileus777 wrote:He's still a max player and if Philly doesn't give it to him some other team will put up a max offer sheet next year (which Philly will match).

And they would be dumb for it. Philly will obviously max him out but no one will have any sympathy for them afterwards if it blows up in their face. We're discussing the most injury prone big man here with as much talent as Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum here and there's no running away from the fact he has barely played at the professional level. And we're nearly 3 fulls seasons in since he's been drafted.

Glad its not my team's decision to make.
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#33 » by Basileus777 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm

rumdiary wrote:
Stadium5 wrote:Too young to be injured this often. Held out hope before just because of badly I wanted to see his talent on display. But he's looking like another Oden/Bynum

Been reading these kinda comments for three years now.

And then he came out and played like a star. A meniscus injury isn't the end of the world here and isn't a long term chronic issue.

Optms wrote:
Basileus777 wrote:He's still a max player and if Philly doesn't give it to him some other team will put up a max offer sheet next year (which Philly will match).

And they would be dumb for it. Philly will obviously max him out but no one will have any sympathy for them afterwards if it blows up in their face. We're discussing about the most injury prone big man here with as much talent as Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum.

If that doesn't ring alarm bells. Glad its not my team.

He's shown more than either of those two ever did. If this was something more serious than a meniscus I'd agree, but as it is he's likely to bounce back fine.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,957

Post#34 » by Shock Defeat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Basileus777 wrote:He's still a max player and if Philly doesn't give it to him some other team will put up a max offer sheet next year (which Philly will match). This talk of giving him lesser deals is still crazy.

Giving a max contract to a player who can't stay healthy is what cripples franchises.
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#35 » by Basileus777 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Basileus777 wrote:He's still a max player and if Philly doesn't give it to him some other team will put up a max offer sheet next year (which Philly will match). This talk of giving him lesser deals is still crazy.

Giving a max contract to a player who can't stay healthy is what cripples franchises.

What happens to franchises that let a star big walk because of a meniscus injury?

And if Philly lets him walk they will be tanking for years to come and that cap space they would have spent on him will end up meaningless as no notable free agent will sign with Philly until they have a winning record again.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#36 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:

Very true, but.... the 76ers have invested a lot time , and energy to Joel. If they let him walk and dont match...... Its going get lot worst. He gets the max still because of his upside and his actual nba production.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#37 » by Devassa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Damn shame. He was one of the better rookies his league has seen in a long time. He has an extremely tough road ahead. Good Lord, Philly stop drafting guys with bad knees
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#38 » by Throwback24 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
reload141 wrote:Probably the most intriguing player as far as what contract he will get.

Missed the first two seasons, played like 30 games this year, who knows what he does in his 4th year. Holmes is exploding, Saric is turning out to be a really solid player. Having Embiid wouldn't hurt but if he can't play, he ain't worth the $150 million he's gonna get.

Perhaps the 76ers use him as an energy big off the bench full time moving forward?
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#39 » by DingleJerry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Important issue when it comes to a 150 mil contract might be on whether they can insure the contract. If Amare's contract couldn't get insured I'm not sure how he can. Seems Philly might be over a barrel here regardless
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#40 » by reload141 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:39 pm

I actually hope Phoenix offers him max and Philly doesn't match.... then they use that magical water in Phoenix and he becomes their franchise.

Return to The General Board