How come Westbrook gets bashed so much

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Re: How come Westbrook gets bashed so much 

Post#141 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Teko wrote:Mostly hated by rocket's and warrior's fans, no?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using RealGM mobile app

Loved Westbrook for a long time until last season lol. He really became more Petty when the Thunder were up 3-1. Even more Petty when KD joined the Warriors.

No questioning his talent and skill, but this season proves he isn't a good teammate and team player. KD wanted out for a reason -- a top player doesn't leave a top player just for the hell of it. Russ doesn't help his teammates become better.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#142 » by phanman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Some people just like/love to hate greatness. They find any little fault in a player and push that narrative until people agree with them. Is he perfect? - no but he is an exceptional talent. Personally, I just think he needs a more authoritative coach to reign him in at times, because his ability to attack the paint and create for others is elite.

Like take last game for example, he heard the criticism of the G2 4th Q, and responded by playing with poise in getting his teammates involved all game. He only took 1 3pter, and made sure that his impact was felt on both ends of the floor. He got Taj rolling early and is single handily responsbile for Roberson being the 2nd leading scorer at 14pts shooting 60%.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#143 » by sikma42 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:13 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Teko wrote:Mostly hated by rocket's and warrior's fans, no?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using RealGM mobile app

Loved Westbrook for a long time until last season lol. He really became more Petty when the Thunder were up 3-1. Even more Petty when KD joined the Warriors.

No questioning his talent and skill, but this season proves he isn't a good teammate and team player. KD wanted out for a reason -- a top player doesn't leave a top player just for the hell of it. Russ doesn't help his teammates become better.

Seems to be an amazing leader. His teammates all love him and he takes all of the criticism and never puts on it on anyone else. You can say a lot of things about him, but he appears to be great in that sense.
NYspeedy
Senior
And1: 192

Post#144 » by NYspeedy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Cause of his IQ and doing dumb plays like this.

preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#145 » by preldzic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Don't get me wrong. Russ is a tremendous player. He is the difference between Thunder fighting in playoffs and Thunder getting a top 5 draft pick this year. However, I think the feud with Durant hurt his image too, not only Kevin's. Maybe not that much directly, but indirectly - I believe he wanted to prove too much this season:
- 42.5 Usage Rate (USG) - fans like team players.
- Out of all qualified players this season with PER >20 (n=45), only Embiid had a lower PER/USG ratio and only four players had a lower TS% - fans like efficient players.
- He also didn't want to admit that he was chasing triple-doubles - fans like players who don't care about their individual stats. This analysis shows that it is very likely that he was after Robertson's record by chasing triple doubles:
https://fivetimesfive-blog.com/2017/04/18/who-is-chasing-triple-doubles/
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#146 » by Coxy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:If you played basketball you know how depressing it is to play with a guy who takes over half of your team's shots, even if you know that guy is way better than you. Every player when they are on the court has confidence that they can make a play, or that if they are open they are going to make that shot. It is demoralizing when they don't get the ball and have to watch one guy take on the other team by himself.

Bingo.

It's a team game. Go play professional tennis or be a long jumper if you can't figure out that it's a team game, and you must share to win.

Also, must be maddening coaching a head strong player that plays this way as well. I'd go bald in a matter of months trying to get Westbrook to cut the 'me against the world' thing.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#147 » by fouronesix22 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 pm

When people bash him for stat padding thats just the stupidest thing I ever heard and those people are ignorant. But the only criticism I see on here is about his 4th quarter decision making which is correct to criticize.

Westbrook has always had issues with decision making in close playoff games even when durant was there so I dont get why that is considered "bashing" when we are pointing out observations
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#148 » by fouronesix22 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:25 pm

NYspeedy wrote:Cause of his IQ and doing dumb plays like this.

this has nothing to do with game results though. if this was a live play and that shot was called as a goaltend that would be a different
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Post#149 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm

nbafan38 wrote:
flow wrote:Only a person who didn't see the 4th quarter of last night's game can ask this question with a straight face.

Actually I saw the entire fourth quarter and while I agree Westbrook could've deferred a bit more primarily what I saw was gassed superstar with little help being outclassed by a superior team with so many offensive weapons.

Did you not see all the times Doug McDermott was wide open from 3 in the 4th quarter? He was 3/4 from 3pt range in that game. The fact that youre trying to defend that 4th quarter just shows youre not willing to accept this criticism. I mean some of Westbrooks biggest fans and supporters even admit he went too far that quarter.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Post#150 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Harden gets bashed for not playing defense and flopping.

Durant gets bashed for joining the Warriors.

Lebron got bashed for joining the Heat and flopping.

Kawhi gets bashed for being a "system player."

Westbrook gets bashed for having too high of a usage rate.

Superstars get bashed. No one is bashing the 15th man on a team that no one has ever heard of. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, and superstars get the majority of praise and criticism.

Thread shouldve ended with this. You can add Melo and you cant win with him, Curry doesnt play defense and chokes in the playoffs, Kyrie/IT/Lillard for not playing defense, Lowry for his play in the playoffs. All of the stars get picked apart on here, thats just what happens when youre a big name.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,568

Post#151 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 am

He's not taking "over half of his team's shots", his usage percentage is 42% and that includes turnovers, most of which comes when he is trying to pass. Sure that figure is very high, but let's not get carried away. And he spent most of the season playing with 2 other starters who were extremely reluctant to shoot and kept getting him the ball back when he and the coach wanted him to shoot - Roberson and Sabonis.

And that 4th quarter in Game 2 was an aberration. He played much smarter in the 4th quarter of close games in the regular season (with a few exceptions) and the results of the Thunder show it (best clutch team in the league). I don't know why so many people are acting as if he does it all the time.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,720

Post#152 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 am

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:The GB has a very short memory and narratives whipsaw based on the last game. I've seen Westbrook called the best player in the NBA on RealGM and the owner of the second best individual season in NBA history... then suddenly, RW is a team killing ball hog. Neither point of view is realistic.

Sorry my friend, you are not the arbiter of what is and is not "realistic," particularly when I'm on the other side of the draw.

As you correctly point out -- Westbrook is no Kobe.

Or to put it more accurately, Kobe is no Westbrook.

Now, let's rejoin the thread in progress.

Gotta love those RealGM Snipers -- the people who try to take shots at you down low, but don't have the courage to come at you unless they are in the shroud.

Wise choice, padawan.

Wise choice.

Sorry, but I didn't bother responding to your post because your entire premise was based on box scores and box-score linked stats. You ignored efficiency, all forms of +/-, and team success. If you want to believe that BPM is the only measure of a player, good for you. I don't see anything interesting coming out of discussing the facile analysis of the BPM Jedi. :D

As for the rest of it, yes, by definition, if Westbrook isn't Kobe then Kobe isn't Westbrook. Thanks.

Yesterday, I was annoyed because you mentioned what I wrote.

Today, I just don't care.

Back to the thread in progress.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#153 » by NBAFan93 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:47 am

NYspeedy wrote:Cause of his IQ and doing dumb plays like this.

Lol! That ref is looking at him like "wth is wrong w/ you?"...
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#154 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 am

RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:If you played basketball you know how depressing it is to play with a guy who takes over half of your team's shots, even if you know that guy is way better than you. Every player when they are on the court has confidence that they can make a play, or that if they are open they are going to make that shot. It is demoralizing when they don't get the ball and have to watch one guy take on the other team by himself.

What ? That's not true. I mean if you are a conceited player that only cares about your own shots then you would be upset , but if you actually care about winning and westbrook is your best chance at scoring then you would love giving him the ball while you play defense , rebound and set screens.

I get it, you are only playing basketball on nba2k.
What
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#155 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 am

He gets bashed because he's known as being selfish. All you can really say is "any player with that green light could do that".

That's not true.

We have ball dominant players in this league all the time, in situations like his, who can't sniff his numbers.

He's an alpha, and he really has to be now. He lost all he knows. Durant is gone. What do you want him to do? Change his stripes? He played this way when KD was there.

The fact they made the playoffs and may tie a series against a top seed is a testament to how much opponents worry about him.

Literally the only thing you can say bad about the guy is that he goes too hard. That's why he shoots too much, turns the ball over, etc. What's he supposed to do? That roster is crap.

He's an elite, elite talent.
ono
Freshman
And1: 62

Post#156 » by ono » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:14 pm

E-Balla wrote:
ono wrote:Not true at all they shoot 3.5% better. Still bad but 10% would be by far the worst ever I'm guessing since the worst are usually around 6%.
My apologies, the reference I used was from a few months ago. I will edit that into the OP.

OKC has a 52.5 eFG% off Westbrook's defensive rebounds and a 49.9 eFG% on all other shots. Its actually 100% true that OKC runs in transition better when he gets boards. And its not like its hurting the team on the defensive glass either they're the 3rd best defensive rebounding team in the league. Also his uncontested rebound percentage is about the same as James Harden and Lebron James.
So they shoot the ball 2.6% better when he sags into the paint to wait for rebounds to kick start a fast break, yet his direct opponent shoots 3.5% because of this very same strategy. How’s that an effective strategy?
He’s collecting 2 more uncontested rebounds per game than Harden (who we all know doesn’t play much defence either). There’s no other guards in the top 5. There’s a 5-6 rebound drop off to the next guard on the list, and that is because if a guard is playing any level of perimeter defence, he isn’t in a position to collect an uncontested rebound. Again, it’s almost 2 rebounds per game more than Lebron, but Lebron’s number is more understandable due to him playing 27% of his minutes at the 4. It’s not the uncontested rebound that bothers me, it’s the reasoning behind the uncontested rebound.

You seem to be really hurt by 2 rebounds a game here. If Westbrook grabbed 6 rebounds a game and had the same impact he'd still deserve MVP.
He doesn’t deserve it now, so I fail to see how that would be true. They don’t hurt me. I’m not an OKC fan. I couldn’t give two supershits if Russ values his own rebounding numbers over playing defence.

Is it? He's above league average TS% unless I'm wrong and he's leading the league in scoring. Actually his points pee minute and efficiency are very close to Kobe in 06. Plus he's more efficient than his teammates so he kinda should be taking a ton of shots.

I’m not interested in a true shooting metric (especially as it is influenced by free throw % - that’s not my issue at all with Russ). I know he attempts more difficult shots than his counterparts. My issue isn’t with his shooting ability or form, it’s with his decision making. Bad shot selection is every bit as damaging as bad shooting. He’s attempting 24 a game (he should be leading the leading the league in scoring) on 42.5% shooting. However you dress that up, it’s just bad. The playoffs have seen his hero ball go to a whole new level. He’s shooting 37.8% on 30 attempts per game. That’s ridiculous.
And he’s bound to have a greater efficiency rating than all of his teammates. He does everything. Everything runs through him. He controls every possession. His PER and EFF will be sky high because they take into account his general box score numbers but then ignore the smaller details that are only evident from watching the game from minute 1 through to minute 48. The box score totally revolves around him because the whole entire gameplan revolves around him.

This is complete BS because usage rate doesn't take assists into account at all. Admit it you really thought you were right here... Also according to statistical studies we can expect a 1.5-2 decrease in individual ORTG for every 1% increase in usage percentage. That means Harden's expected ORTG would drop from a 118 to an expected 107 (which is lower than Westbrook's ORTG).

Well that depends which usage rate calculation you use. Hollinger’s does account for assists. Are you arguing that Harden wouldn’t average more points than Russ if he took the extra 5 shots per game? Are you arguing that he wouldn’t get more than his 11 or so assists per game if he controlled more possessions?

That's just not true. He scores at the end of games no matter what his assist numbers look like and its why OKC is the most clutch team in the league and Westbrook is having one of the best clutch seasons ever. If Westbrook was hurting the team they wouldn't be so terrible without him and good with him.

I’m not saying he is hurting the team overall. They are clearly better with him than they are without him. That’s not even debateable. What is up for debate is whether or not OKC would be better if you replaced Westbrook with a fellow MVP candidate or another elite point guard.

He's good in the clutch. I wouldn't argue otherwise.I’m just saying I’ve watched games this season where Russ has quite clearly made a decision based on his box score - more so over the last period of the season as the record was coming closer and closer. The Suns game is a good example. He tried to justify it by explaining he was 6-25 on FG so he needed to pass rather than shoot. That's cute. Where was this mind-set when he was 4-18 the other night....you know, when he already had the triple double. I know you will try to validate this by saying the game was on the line - which ironically is a massive reason as to why Russ should have looked to pass. What good teammate plays hero ball at crunch time right in the thick of a ridiculous shooting slump?

99% of your criticism is absurd, half is made up, and the other half shows an inability to understand statistics. If you want to go with wins Curry and Kawhi are you guy. If you want to go with individual play its Russ.

Nowhere near as absurd as your efforts to validate and justify Russ’ weaknesses. I wouldn’t accuses you of not understanding statistics – you clearly do, but I would accuse you of using particular statistics to validate an opinion while ignoring the statistics or other intangibles which go against the opinion. The prime example would be where you have tried to justify Russ’ 24 shots per game by highlighting his True Shooting %. – ignoring his actual FG% and ignoring his poor shot selection.
The way in which Russ is playing is detrimental to the success of OKC. On the court, even if he is making the team play above their potential – I’d argue he isn’t given he doesn’t make any of his teammates better, he’s doing just enough to keep them honest enough to make the playoffs while being selfish enough to ensure no other star player will want to play with him. OKC ain’t getting a high draft pick and they sure as hell ain’t getting very far in the playoffs with him leading the way. He’s running himself into the ground for team mediocrity and personal superstardom. In a nutshell, that sums the guy up.

ono
Freshman
And1: 62

Post#157 » by ono » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:16 pm

AndriPerdhian93 wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:

What ? That's not true. I mean if you are a conceited player that only cares about your own shots then you would be upset , but if you actually care about winning and westbrook is your best chance at scoring then you would love giving him the ball while you play defense , rebound and set screens.

I get it, you are only playing basketball on nba2k.

And if you are only winning because 1 man is doing everything, are you really winning? Not that that matters, because 1 man hero ball will never amount to anything.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#158 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:06 pm

phanman wrote:Some people just like/love to hate greatness. They find any little fault in a player and push that narrative until people agree with them. Is he perfect? - no but he is an exceptional talent. Personally, I just think he needs a more authoritative coach to reign him in at times, because his ability to attack the paint and create for others is elite.

Like take last game for example, he heard the criticism of the G2 4th Q, and responded by playing with poise in getting his teammates involved all game. He only took 1 3pter, and made sure that his impact was felt on both ends of the floor. He got Taj rolling early and is single handily responsbile for Roberson being the 2nd leading scorer at 14pts shooting 60%.
Who were those players who scored 83 pts for OKC? They certainly couldn't have been players that were on the team previously. Because we've been informed by numerous OKC fans on this forum that all the Thunder players other than WB are at best scrubs....not good enough to play d-league ball.
So where did they get those players I saw who were doing it the Houston defenders?
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#159 » by E-Balla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm

ono wrote:My apologies, the reference I used was from a few months ago. I will edit that into the OP.

Even a few months ago that wasn't true. I mean go on NBA.com and look at the league leaders no one is close to 10%. That's insanely high.

So they shoot the ball 2.6% better when he sags into the paint to wait for rebounds to kick start a fast break, yet his direct opponent shoots 3.5% because of this very same strategy. How’s that an effective strategy?

Because the man he's directly guarding isn't taking every shot while he's on the floor. As you mentioned his contest percentage is low so his man is taking like 6-7 shots and making them at +3.5% and he's grabbing 8-9 rebounds and increasing the offense by 2.6% not accounting for freethrows and decreased turnover numbers. Realistically it comes out to more points gained on those fastbreaks than lost by the defensive effort.

He’s collecting 2 more uncontested rebounds per game than Harden (who we all know doesn’t play much defence either). There’s no other guards in the top 5. There’s a 5-6 rebound drop off to the next guard on the list, and that is because if a guard is playing any level of perimeter defence, he isn’t in a position to collect an uncontested rebound. Again, it’s almost 2 rebounds per game more than Lebron, but Lebron’s number is more understandable due to him playing 27% of his minutes at the 4. It’s not the uncontested rebound that bothers me, it’s the reasoning behind the uncontested rebound.

The reasoning behind it (like I said) is to get started on the break.

He doesn’t deserve it now, so I fail to see how that would be true. They don’t hurt me. I’m not an OKC fan. I couldn’t give two **** if Russ values his own rebounding numbers over playing defence.

You mad a very large post with the majority of it complaining about 2 uncontested rebounds a game. 2. I mean come on now...

I’m not interested in a true shooting metric (especially as it is influenced by free throw % - that’s not my issue at all with Russ). I know he attempts more difficult shots than his counterparts. My issue isn’t with his shooting ability or form, it’s with his decision making. Bad shot selection is every bit as damaging as bad shooting. He’s attempting 24 a game (he should be leading the leading the league in scoring) on 42.5% shooting. However you dress that up, it’s just bad. The playoffs have seen his hero ball go to a whole new level. He’s shooting 37.8% on 30 attempts per game. That’s ridiculous.
And he’s bound to have a greater efficiency rating than all of his teammates. He does everything. Everything runs through him. He controls every possession. His PER and EFF will be sky high because they take into account his general box score numbers but then ignore the smaller details that are only evident from watching the game from minute 1 through to minute 48. The box score totally revolves around him because the whole entire gameplan revolves around him.

None of this explains anything or addresses my post about how Westbrook's scoring is very similar to Kobe in 06. If its bad when Russ does it it was bad when Kobe did it and quite frankly if you think Kobe in 06 was hurting his team in any way your opinion is irrelevant.

Well that depends which usage rate calculation you use. Hollinger’s does account for assists. Are you arguing that Harden wouldn’t average more points than Russ if he took the extra 5 shots per game? Are you arguing that he wouldn’t get more than his 11 or so assists per game if he controlled more possessions?

Well actually Harden's time of possession per game is the same as Westbrook (Wall is also tied with them) so he quite literally already controls as many possessions as Westbrook. Both have the ball 8.9 mpg. So no Harden having the ball as much as Westbrook wouldn't increase his usage (because he already does).

I’m not saying he is hurting the team overall. They are clearly better with him than they are without him. That’s not even debateable. What is up for debate is whether or not OKC would be better if you replaced Westbrook with a fellow MVP candidate or another elite point guard.

He's good in the clutch. I wouldn't argue otherwise.I’m just saying I’ve watched games this season where Russ has quite clearly made a decision based on his box score - more so over the last period of the season as the record was coming closer and closer. The Suns game is a good example. He tried to justify it by explaining he was 6-25 on FG so he needed to pass rather than shoot. That's cute. Where was this mind-set when he was 4-18 the other night....you know, when he already had the triple double. I know you will try to validate this by saying the game was on the line - which ironically is a massive reason as to why Russ should have looked to pass. What good teammate plays hero ball at crunch time right in the thick of a ridiculous shooting slump?

So when he's passing it because he wants to pad his assists and when he's shooting its to pad his points? Ok...

Nowhere near as absurd as your efforts to validate and justify Russ’ weaknesses. I wouldn’t accuses you of not understanding statistics – you clearly do, but I would accuse you of using particular statistics to validate an opinion while ignoring the statistics or other intangibles which go against the opinion. The prime example would be where you have tried to justify Russ’ 24 shots per game by highlighting his True Shooting %. – ignoring his actual FG% and ignoring his poor shot selection.

Because FG% tell me nothing about how many points he's generating on his shots. His actual FG% is irrelevant. If he was 46% and took only 2s he'd be less efficient period.

The way in which Russ is playing is detrimental to the success of OKC. On the court, even if he is making the team play above their potential – I’d argue he isn’t given he doesn’t make any of his teammates better, he’s doing just enough to keep them honest enough to make the playoffs while being selfish enough to ensure no other star player will want to play with him. OKC ain’t getting a high draft pick and they sure as hell ain’t getting very far in the playoffs with him leading the way. He’s running himself into the ground for team mediocrity and personal superstardom. In a nutshell, that sums the guy up.

I wish anyone who said he doesn't make his teammates better had actual proof. I mean Enes Kanter sure seems to be better playing with Russ. Guys like Dipo and Taj didn't seem to get any worse. Adams and the rookies seem to do way better with Russ on the floor...
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,426

Post#160 » by nbafan38 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
nbafan38 wrote:
flow wrote:Only a person who didn't see the 4th quarter of last night's game can ask this question with a straight face.

Actually I saw the entire fourth quarter and while I agree Westbrook could've deferred a bit more primarily what I saw was gassed superstar with little help being outclassed by a superior team with so many offensive weapons.

Did you not see all the times Doug McDermott was wide open from 3 in the 4th quarter? He was 3/4 from 3pt range in that game. The fact that youre trying to defend that 4th quarter just shows youre not willing to accept this criticism. I mean some of Westbrooks biggest fans and supporters even admit he went too far that quarter.

I wrote that he could've deferred a bit more that quarter but do I think that necessarily cost them the game, no. They only won by 2 in the next game when he did differ a lot more.

Return to The General Board