[Poll added] Is there a more tortured fanbase?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

More tortured fanbase in the last 30 years

Raptors
6%
Wolves
12%
Kings
18%
Clippers
13%
Knicks
32%
Bucks
5%
Wizards
1%
Magic
3%
Blazers
7%
Suns
4%

Total votes: 171

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Is there a more tortured fanbase? 

Post#81 » by Kabookalu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am

Spurs. Sucks knowing as a fan that when you win the championship, history tells you there's no chance you'll win it next year. How about that for torture.
Read on Twitter
Tinseltown
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,917

Post#82 » by Tinseltown » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am

HotTubMike wrote:as a Houston sports (NBA, NFL, MLB) fan not old enough to remember the 94/95 championships I can tell you Houston is very tortured.

Yeah I know how you feel. People act like a fan base can't be tortured if they've had any past success but not everyone was around for or remembers the glory days. For me I became a Lakers fan when Dwight was traded to LA because I thought they'd be a super team; and let me tell you, no one is more tortured than me.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,396

Post#83 » by Forbes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 am

NYK, we take L in every aspect of the game. People joke on us like no other.

We get tortured and every season we come back for more torture with optimism and just get tortured even worse.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Re: RE: Re: Is there a more tortured fanbase? 

Post#84 » by UcanUwill » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:11 am

bape_lovers wrote:Image

wafer88 wrote:Knicks fans have endured Theon Greyjoy levels of torture.

spoilers guys, im just finishing second book.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#85 » by robbie84 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am

The Knicks and Nets are up there as far as recent examples go.

The Wolves were there until Wiggins/KAT era.

I'd say Knicks, then Nets.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#86 » by robbie84 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 am

Choker wrote:Spurs. Sucks knowing as a fan that when you win the championship, history tells you there's no chance you'll win it next year. How about that for torture.

They have so many championships that they're tortured thinking about not winning it.

Oh the irony.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#87 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:51 am

Tortured teams will get their time soon.

It wasn't too long ago that Golden State missed the Playoffs 12 years in a row and 16 out of 17 years, while missing out on guys like KG, Kobe and T-Mac in consecutive drafts and even more blunders. They finally got it right by drafting guys like Curry, Klay, Draymond to build a base for success.

They were the bottom dweller for endless years and now their success makes them the most hated team in the NBA.

When the Warriors dynasty is over I hope a team like Toronto, Milwaukee, Minny, etc. get their chance as well.

Teams like the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc. have won too much so hopefully all the tortured teams can find a way to win like how the Warriors came out of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
#DubNation
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#88 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 am

It has to be the Clippers. None have been worse.

The Jazz are an interesting case. They had 2 dominant superstars and were a great team during the 90's. Made a few finals, but couldn't break through. The Golden State Warriors were terrible during that time, but in the end the Warriors won a title first(post 1980) and will probably win another this year. That is torture in a way, being great, but not getting over the hump and seeing teams who were vastly inferior to you win one before you.

The Thunder have to be up there too. If you were a Thunder fan in the Summer of 2012 you had to be thinking you were on the brink of a special run. You just made the Finals with a core of guys 23 and under. 3 superstars and another solid player in Ibaka. Instead that was as good as it gets. 5 years later only Westbrook remains out of the 4. You just lost to Harden in the playoffs and you are probably going to watch Durant win a title. Westbrook had an MVP season, but in the end you win 1 playoff game out of it.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,203

Post#89 » by brutalitops » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:28 am

SimonFish wrote:Bulls since MJ

4 conference Semi Finals, One Conference Final, MVP player. Can i have some of your drugs?

ken6199 wrote:Honorable mention: OKC.
They finally had a team, with two super stars on the rise.
- too young to beat the (just matured) Heat
- title hope, injury
- title hope, injury
- injury no playoffs
- big title hope, choke
- departure

MVP. and possibly another one comming. NBA finals, Consistant final series since 2009. They've missed finals twice in their existance. Come on dude.

RingsDontLie wrote:Lakers. Past few years have been horrid. CP3 Veto too. We are the only team that a commisioner has vetoed a trade on. His excuse was basketball reasons. Kobe's Achilles rupture was bad. Then the D'angelo / Nick Young scandal that sent shockwaves around the league. Its been tough.

Honestly. Go away.

Im optimistic about the Wolves but something tells me Taylor will be content with having KAT fill the arena on a minimum payroll untill he gets pissed off and leaves like he did to love, Garnett
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#90 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:36 am

Knicks and it isn't even close.

For such a passionate fanbase to be subjected to such garbage over the years, yeah it isn't good.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#91 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am

Choker wrote:Spurs. Sucks knowing as a fan that when you win the championship, history tells you there's no chance you'll win it next year. How about that for torture.

they're by far the most priviliged.

Most consistent team in the league, best coach in the league, play the best basketball in the league. We know their team is going to always be good as long as Pop and RC Buford are around.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#92 » by Kabookalu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 am

Spens1 wrote:

Most consistent team in the league, best coach in the league, play the best basketball in the league. We know their team is going to always be good as long as Pop and RC Buford are around.

lol I was mocking that other guy who nominated the Lakers.

Read on Twitter
Spens1
RealGM

Post#93 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 am

Choker wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

lol I was mocking that other guy who nominated the Lakers.

if it were just the last 3 years then maybe because it has been suffering. But even then we'd still lose to the knicks because at least we've had success in recent memory.
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#94 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Watching calderon last year, watching rose again this year, must be knicks fans.
What
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#95 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm

You have no idea what torture is until you've been a lifelong Clipper fan. Every other fanbase in the league has had it better than us, and it's not even close.
Seabass11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Re: [Poll added] Is there a more tortured fanbase? 

Post#96 » by Seabass11 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank God a certain somebody was born in Akron or else it would be the Cavs
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#97 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

How the Knicks are winning this poll is beyond me. Yes, they've had it rough since 2000. They still have two championships and eight conference titles. The Clippers have never been past the second round of the playoffs in our entire existence. We once went 29 years between playoff series victories. It's not even close.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#98 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:Portland should get an honorable mention. From taking Bowie over MJ, Oden over Durant, to losing Roy before his prime, and more...

portland was the first team that came to mind. maybe the Knicks as well but I feel like it is partially their own fault. You cant reap the benefits of being a storied franchise and than cry and pout when people get on you for sucking.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#99 » by JXL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Knicks.

Large fanbase, low IQ front office, employs divas and egomaniacs.

At least with the Kings, they have an upside with their roster.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#100 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Duffman100 wrote:I'm curious. With everything the Raptors put their fanbase through, is there a more tortured fanbase in the NBA?

I'm sure someone's pure longevity of pain has us beat...but I'd like to know.

Tortured? are you kidding me? let me take you down memory lane as a lifelong Nets fan....

1) Nets get the approval from the knicks to go from the ABA to the NBA but in order to do it they need to pay the knicks and enormous amount of money and the city and equally large amount. to do that they basically end up selling Dr.J to the sixers, who go on to win titles while we see the GOAT for this franchise walk for basically cash. :banghead:

2) in '77 we drafted Bernard King... a NY guy and a beast. He scored 24 ppg as a rookie and 21 ppg in year two. King was said to have a drinknig problem off the court, and in that time with drugs and alcohol being a major issue with the league and the leagues image the nets traded him to the jazz for... rich kelly. kelly was an ok player coming off a solid year but was horrible that season. and nowhere near bernard king. King end up back in NY with the knicks, be beloved by the city, lead the league in scoring and have a great career. Kelly went ton to be a 7/7 player the nets woudl trade just 1 year later. :banghead:

3) 2 years later the nets had found themselves at the top of the draft with the third and tenth picks and took Albert King (bernards brother) and Buck Williams. The nets were SUPER high on a PG that year who went #2 overall just ahead of buck... maybe you heard of him: Isiah Thomas. King went on to have a solid career... Buck williams was a STUD out of the gate and that duo had fans forgetting about bernard king who was dragged through the mud that year by the media. Buck was an allstar his first two seasons averageing 16/12 those first two years and 17/12 as a net... they would later trade buck williams, in his prime and the franchises alltime leader in eveyrhting for sam bowie and mookie blalock, only to watch buck help get the blazers to the finals...why did they trade buck.... well...

4) Larry Brown. brought in to help turn the nets back into the winners they were in the ABA. Had a great relationship with buck williams and they instantly teamed to turn the nets into a playoff team. they won 49 and 47 games with brown. Nets looked headed in the right direction... until then owner John Taub got wind that Brown was considering a coaching offer from kansas and told brown "you should just go now..." basically firing brown... who would go on to be a hall of fame coach and lead 2 NBA teams to the finals. Williams was highly critical of the move and their was tension from that point on... buck continued to be a pro and lunchpail guy pouring his passion on the court every day. but when new coach dave wahl drove what was a playoff team into the ground with 3 straight 25ish win seasons... the team made a change... they wanted to make a splash and traded for former #1 pick same bowie, who played just 20 games because of an injury and who was underwhelming and labeled a bust. Portland got a perrenial allstar in buck williams without giving up a single starter.

That trade broke my spirit at a young age, net fans in general were devestated. it was Dr. J and Bernard all over again. trading stud all-star talent for peanuts due to circumstance instead of strategy.... to recap at this point: Dr. J, Bernard King, Larry Brown, Buck Williams, all in like a 6 year span of getting to the NBA.

5) Fast forward though 3 dark years of losing, coaching change, and turmoil. The nets had a new GM/staff and they were looking to make a splash. drafting oscar schmidt in the 6th round(yes 6th round) of the draft and offered the highest buyout in league history to get him to come over... schmidt almost came, but the decision from the international comittee was that Schmidt would lose his amateur status and no longer be allowed to play in the pan an games or olympics. for schmidt it was a deal breaker... he loved representing his country, and did just that helpng brazil take down the US from down 12 at half time in the 87 pan am games scoring 45 points. he would go on to be a hall of famer....

6) The nets, after still suffering from losing, found themselves at the top of the draft again in 1987. Bob Mckinnon was just hired as head coach and was super high on ohio state senior dennis hopson for his leadership... there was a rift as management liked the kid from the small school, central arkansas... maybe you heard of him... scottie pippen? anyhow managment wanted mckinnon to pick his guy as new coach and the bulls would trade up to #4 to take pippen with the next pick.

Dennis Hopson went on to be the biggest draft bust in nets history (one of the biggest in league history) and Bob Mckinnon was fired at the end of his one and only season as nets coach. pippen went on to have an ok career with the bulls... :banghead:

7) The nets would go on to have 4 terrible seasons and go through 4 coaches in 5 years. tons of injuries to bagley, daryl dawkins, and bad drafting (chris morris, mookie blalock) led to a dismal period for the nets. they would bottom out with a leagues worst 17-65 record... but there was a light at the end of the tunnell. new management... who was able to sign on Chuck Daly as head coach who had just been let go by the pistons, and with the #1 pick in the draft to boot and a stud from syracuse waiting to turn the franchise around.

The nets would draft derrick coleman and then the following year GT star gaurd kenny anderson with the drafts #2 pick. they were going to be the next stockton and malone only with more flash and athleticism. Coleman and anderson were beasts from day 1. Coleman won rookie of the year as a 19/10 player and anderson boston 16/8 by his second year. The nets also made a trade for inernational star drazen petrovic, who with a starting role and finally getting playing time exploded scoring 22 points a game and shooting 45% from three. The nets would turn things around instantly winnign 44 games and making the playoffs for the first time in years..... BUT.... Anderson broke his hand and petro hut his knee and the nets full in 5 games to cleveland in a close first round series.... but things were looking up with one of the leagues most talented exciting teams and a hall of fame coach... right? WRONG..

Petrovic would die in a tragic accident in the offseason... derrick coleman inked a huge contract and once he got paid became a GOAT level DOG mailing in games, and chuck daily, clashing with coleman left the nets. it was crazy... like let me put that in todays terms...

that would be like if kawai got a huge contract and decided to give bargani level effort, alrdige died, and pop decided to resign. all within a 12 month span. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

8) After such a dismail, sad period... the nets felt they needed to rebrand and got approval to rename the team the "New Jersey Swamp Dragons" they spent million on branding before ownership backed out last minute... the nets would go on to pick at the top of the draft and make horrible picks with bust (yinka dare) after bust (ed obannon) after bust (Rex Walters).... eventually the nets were so bad... they landed the #1 pick in the draft!

Only it was the weakest draft in years, althought with 1 stand out. Kenyon martin. the nets would draft martin and then stand out Keith Van horn to add to kerry kittles. the nets also were able to lure standout umass coach John Calapari to breathe life an energy into the team. after bringing in sam cassell the team turn things around right away making the playoffs in just their second season with a breakout year from center jason williams. the nets had an exciting young team again with talented players and a young future hall of fame coach...

in what is always overlooked, the nets gave jordan's '98 bulls one of their toughest early playoff battles. the nets went down 3-0 but lost in overtime in games 1 and 2 and where within 5 late in game 3. an early exit but inspired a ton in confidence in the young coach and young team.

BUT... in typical net fashion it came crashing down... The team was bought, Jason Williams killed his driver and would never play again, kenyon martin was injured, and Calapari was fired early on because of the teams bad start. The team took a huge dive and would again be in the basement of the league. This marks the second straight era and continued a long trend of non basketball events and new ownership regimes costing the team. deaths, shootings, ... ugh...:banghead:

anyhow id go on but i gotta head to work... but we are close to where you guys are probably old enough to remember but ill go rapi fire:

-nets want to make a publicity splashs o they deal cassell and bring in marbury. nets stink and blow picks
-nets trade marbury for kid

****THE KIDD ERA!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-Kidd gets hurt, microfracture surgey, we lose to the pistons in 7.
-kidd clashes with coaching, has "migraines" sits out and forces a trade
-we bring in devin harris and soon start to suck
-we lose 70 games and miss out on the #1 pick (john wall) and take favors
-trade favors for dwill
-move to brookyn

*** billy king era :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ****
-trade lotto pickin AD draft (lillard) fo 3 month rental of gerald wallace
-trade 2 picks to atlanta for joe johnson ona 5 year awful contract
-the celtics trade
-dwill has unprecident fall for a star in his prime going from 20/8 guy to jarret jacks backup

***sean mark era

so year... im all set with someone telling me toronto is more cured.

/MicDrop

Return to The General Board