Will Harden and Chris Paul be the best backcourt ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,601

Re: Will Harden and Chris Paul be the best backcourt ever? 

Post#41 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:15 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Nash and Dirk never finished as high as #4 in the west. Kidd was a much better PG for Dirk.

Sure, they just had the best record in the NBA in 2003 and fighting with the SAS in the conference finals until Dirk got hurt...
Слава Украине!
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#42 » by prs » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:41 pm

Honestly I'm really puzzled why Harden recruited CP3 to come play with him and then if Melo ends up gettin traded there too itll be an even bigger mess. Can't imagine these two playing well together but I guess will see. All I know is Houston will be the most unwatchable team in the NBA with the GOAT flopper back court. Hopefully they choke so I don't have to watch them play much in the playoffs.
Rowland Garrett
Senior
And1: 489

Post#43 » by Rowland Garrett » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:46 pm

West and Goodrich, Frazier and Monroe, Cousy and Havlichek, Jordan and anybody. I'd take all of them over...
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#44 » by BallerTalk » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:14 pm

This thread is every bit the milieu of madness I expected. :lol:

Obviously it's way too early to make any kind of judgement on Houston's new bearded backcourt.
That said, If you believe in basketball IQ you must know there is a reason CP3 chose HOU over LAC and SAS.

Stay tuned...
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#45 » by ChilledAlex » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't see them work together and get along on court.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,222

Post#46 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:34 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:The greatest loser and choker yes.

killacalijatt wrote:Two of the biggest choke artists on one team :lol:

Yep.

Most superstars are expected to have more than one clutch moment in their careers. Meanwhile, CP3 is still living off that one game against the Spurs to cover up a career full of choking.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#47 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:40 pm

Greek wrote:The best is splash brothers and its not even close. 2 ball dominant guards who one is aging doesnt mesh well together

They deserve to be in the conversation with the GS backcourt until proven otherwise. They're both going to the hall of fame.

Many people think it won't work out but I disagree. Superstar players with high bball IQ's generally figure things like this out.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#48 » by Lost92Bricks » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:46 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Most superstars are expected to have more than one clutch moment in their careers. Meanwhile, CP3 is still living off that one game against the Spurs to cover up a career full of choking.

Except he has another gamewinner against the Grizzlies, multiple huge 4th quarters (this year against the Jazz for example), led multiple huge comebacks, a great game 7 against the Warriors, and has hit big shots in pressure moments.

He has the 5th highest postseason PER in league history. He raises his scoring in the playoffs. This is the guy you are calling a choker. This is the level of play he brought to your team and you never showed any support for him.

You are an ungrateful baby.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,253

Re: RE: Re: Will Harden and Chris Paul be the best backcourt ever? 

Post#49 » by og15 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:48 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I was wondering who, Harden or Paul, will play off the ball on the pick and roll?

If Paul can turn into Derek Fisher, with Harden running the pick and roll, the Rockets could be very good.

Is their biggest worry who will play off the ball in the pick and roll? They can both spot up and shoot very well, don't think that's going to the their biggest worry.

---

I don't know why people always want things to be "of all time" and "ever". They are a very good back court, anything else firstly we couldn't even say until we see them produce and secondly it's not necessary.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#50 » by mudsak » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:17 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I was wondering who, Harden or Paul, will play off the ball on the pick and roll?

If Paul can turn into Derek Fisher, with Harden running the pick and roll, the Rockets could be very good.

Paul won't know what to do on the other end of the ball in a pick n' roll situation. That, plus he's one of the best at running the p n' r in the history of basketball.

Harden can play better off of the ball than CP3. CP3 needs the ball.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#51 » by mudsak » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:20 pm

prs wrote:Honestly I'm really puzzled why Harden recruited CP3 to come play with him and then if Melo ends up gettin traded there too itll be an even bigger mess. Can't imagine these two playing well together but I guess will see. All I know is Houston will be the most unwatchable team in the NBA with the GOAT flopper back court. Hopefully they choke so I don't have to watch them play much in the playoffs.

OP... here's your answer... Houston has the GOAT flopper back court of all time.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,920

Post#52 » by RSP83 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:44 pm

Umm... No
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#53 » by OdomFan » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:53 pm

Iversnow
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#54 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:00 pm

I dont think that will be a issue for them the problem will be that Paul cant play at the pace that Hou established last year for an entire season . Hes going to want to pound the rock and and if he tries to sustain that pace they played at last year he will get hurt. Not major injuries just nagging injuries that will sap some of his effectiveness.

I know people love to tout Nash but Nash was a soccer player who could run all day. Chris Paul is no longer a run all day pg .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,231

Post#55 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:15 pm

We are right in the middle of free agency with all kinds of news breaking each day. Are people really so bored that we have to throw out hypothetical "greatest ever" threads for two guys who have yet to play one game together?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#56 » by Speedlot » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:56 pm

This will give us a glimpse of Poorman's Kobe/Paul team up.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#57 » by NaturalThunder » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:58 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Houston got better, but I think they are #6 in the west...

GSW
SAS
MIN
OKC
UTH (with Gordon)
POR
HOU

OKC still has a gaping hole at PF and Semaj "One of the Worst Rotation Players in NBA History" Christon is still our backup PG.

Until those two glaring, Grand Canyon sized holes are addressed with at least semi-competent NBA level players, then OKC is still worst than the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets and Jazz (if they keep Hayward).
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#58 » by deanwoof » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:09 pm

Drexler Porter!
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#59 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:36 pm

If their games complemented each other I could understand how one might think so. Unfortunately they don't and I doubt they will be better than the GSW back court.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,682

Post#60 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:41 pm

Chris Paul will have a career season as D'Antoni's PG. Harden will go back to what he was before playing PG.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.

Return to The General Board