Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class?

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, Tarik Black, Mr. E, bwgood77, Rhettmatic, Duke4life831, KF10, GimmeDat, Knickstape1214, DayofMourning, Capn'O, Dirk, CoreyGallagher, magnumt, ken6199

User avatar
jamalkandur
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 593
Joined: Apr 10, 2010

Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#1 » by jamalkandur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 pm

This has been a very hyped draft from the beginning and so far looks like they are backing up, let alone highly-anticipated big names like Fultz, Ball, Fox, Monk, Jackson, Isaac even late picks put a great show in summer league; Smith jr, Kennard, Tatum, Justin Jackson, Kuzma, DJ Wilson, Mitchell, John Collins...
What do you think, are we witnessing the next great generation?
User avatar
OdomFan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 866
And1: 519
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
   

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#2 » by OdomFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 pm

03 was the sequel to 96.
immortalone23
Rookie
Posts: 1,216
And1: 399
Joined: May 26, 2013
   

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#3 » by immortalone23 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm

They haven't even played in the NBA yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
PhilBlackson
Rookie
Posts: 1,246
And1: 840
Joined: May 02, 2017

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#4 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 pm

LeBron alone makes it impossible to be the sequel.

There was no generational talent in this draft and therefore no comparison but it will be one of the better ones and possibly the best one of the past decade or so just in terms of depth.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 16,159
And1: 1,068
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: philly
       

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#5 » by youngcrev » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.


And '96 was the sequel to '84
User avatar
jamalkandur
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 593
Joined: Apr 10, 2010

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#6 » by jamalkandur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.

And 96 was the sequel to 84. :)
edped
Ballboy
Posts: 9
And1: 10
Joined: Jan 05, 2013

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#7 » by edped » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Yes, yes it is.
User avatar
jamalkandur
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 593
Joined: Apr 10, 2010

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#8 » by jamalkandur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 pm

youngcrev wrote:
OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.


And '96 was the sequel to '84


jamalkandur wrote:
OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.

And 96 was the sequel to 84. :)

Wow.
LakersLegacy
Starter
Posts: 2,339
And1: 1,031
Joined: Apr 27, 2015
   

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#9 » by LakersLegacy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.

Which was the sequel to 84.
60odbye Kobe
User avatar
Augusto61
Senior
Posts: 568
And1: 947
Joined: Apr 09, 2014
Location: i will kill myself
     

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#10 » by Augusto61 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Fun fact is that the 2# overall picks of both drafts are busts.
i hate myself
dc
Starter
Posts: 2,076
And1: 1,669
Joined: Aug 11, 2001

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#11 » by dc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:There was no generational talent in this draft and therefore no comparison but it will be one of the better ones and possibly the best one of the past decade or so just in terms of depth.


I agree, but I could easily envision Ball making a Jason Kidd like impact.

Guys like Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, Isacc and Fox are obviously great prospects, but they aren't we haven't seen before in the past 10-12 years from players of their position.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
User avatar
The Comedian
Rookie
Posts: 1,021
And1: 455
Joined: Jun 25, 2006

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#12 » by The Comedian » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm

jamalkandur wrote:This has been a very hyped draft from the beginning and so far looks like they are backing up, let alone highly-anticipated big names like Fultz, Ball, Fox, Monk, Jackson, Isaac even late picks put a great show in summer league; Smith jr, Kennard, Tatum, Justin Jackson, Kuzma, DJ Wilson, Mitchell, John Collins...
What do you think, are we witnessing the next great generation?


I think the draft will be very good, but Tatum was the 3rd pick, not one of those later ones.

Next years draft has the potential to be even better, especially with Bagley possibly being eligible.
ItsThatEasy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,650
And1: 2,487
Joined: Nov 04, 2014
 

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#13 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

dc wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:There was no generational talent in this draft and therefore no comparison but it will be one of the better ones and possibly the best one of the past decade or so just in terms of depth.


I agree, but I could easily envision Ball making a Jason Kidd like impact.

Guys like Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, Isacc and Fox are obviously great prospects, but they aren't we haven't seen before in the past 10-12 years from players of their position.


Just curious, is Kidd considered a generational talent?
User avatar
BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 5,355
And1: 10,051
Joined: Sep 03, 2014
Location: Venice
     

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#14 » by BombsquadSammy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.


Did you know that '96 was the sequel to...

...never mind.
FUN FACTS:
- Teams don't win rings; teams win titles-- players win rings
- There are only 8 seeds in each conference; the team that finishes 10th isn't the '10th seed'-- it's just the 10th-place team
- Sammy is admittedly a bit of a pedant
Hoopzilla
Senior
Posts: 546
And1: 119
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#15 » by Hoopzilla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm

OdomFan wrote:03 was the sequel to 96.


96 was the sequel to 84.
abark
Veteran
Posts: 2,876
And1: 861
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Miami
   

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#16 » by abark » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm

And Bad Boys II was the sequel to Bad Boys
User avatar
jamalkandur
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 593
Joined: Apr 10, 2010

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#17 » by jamalkandur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 pm

The Comedian wrote:
jamalkandur wrote:This has been a very hyped draft from the beginning and so far looks like they are backing up, let alone highly-anticipated big names like Fultz, Ball, Fox, Monk, Jackson, Isaac even late picks put a great show in summer league; Smith jr, Kennard, Tatum, Justin Jackson, Kuzma, DJ Wilson, Mitchell, John Collins...
What do you think, are we witnessing the next great generation?


I think the draft will be very good, but Tatum was the 3rd pick, not one of those later ones.

Next years draft has the potential to be even better, especially with Bagley possibly being eligible.

I know but it was kinda surprise that him being picked that high especially ahead of Jackson and Fox and there hadn't been that much anticipation about him before the draft.
Eleqtrique
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,651
And1: 1,103
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
     

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#18 » by Eleqtrique » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Too early to tell IMO.
Image
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,220
And1: 2,131
Joined: Jan 21, 2012

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#19 » by Kupchak9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Seems more like the sequel to '09, which featured a ton of potential All-star guards.

Curry, Harden, Rubio, Holiday, Teague, Jennings, Reke

Fultz, Lonzo, Fox, Smith, Ntilinka, Monk

I don't think any of these guys will approach Curry or Harden's level of dominance, but they all have more star potential than the rest of the 09 pack.
Att
Junior
Posts: 325
And1: 63
Joined: Jul 08, 2009

Re: Is this the long-awaited sequel to 2003 draft class? 

Post#20 » by Att » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 pm

jamalkandur wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
jamalkandur wrote:This has been a very hyped draft from the beginning and so far looks like they are backing up, let alone highly-anticipated big names like Fultz, Ball, Fox, Monk, Jackson, Isaac even late picks put a great show in summer league; Smith jr, Kennard, Tatum, Justin Jackson, Kuzma, DJ Wilson, Mitchell, John Collins...
What do you think, are we witnessing the next great generation?


I think the draft will be very good, but Tatum was the 3rd pick, not one of those later ones.

Next years draft has the potential to be even better, especially with Bagley possibly being eligible.

I know but it was kinda surprise that him being picked that high especially front of Jackson and Fox and there hadn't been that much anticipation about him before the draft.

Not really. He was high up there too.

Return to The General Board