All Time Greats Who Never Averaged 20 Points Per Game

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Re: All Time Greats Who Never Averaged 20 Points Per Game 

Post#21 » by Baseline Runner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Thats insane. I wold have figured he would have gotten 12-14ppg at least a few times just by all of the putbacks.

That was what I never understood about guys like Rodman and Wallace is how they did not develop some inside game to average at least 12 points a game, especially with most of those coming from garbage points.

Here is what I know--if Tristan Thompson can average 10+ PPG multiple times then Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman should have been able to lol

Rodman was putrid offensively, he was that bad (when he was younger he spent all of his time in the weight room instead of the gym). In a way I think it made him a better offensive rebounder because he focused a lot of his effort in securing the rebound instead of thinking about scoring or putting a tip back after he got it like a lot of guys do. Whereas a lot of guys would crash the boards going towards the basket to put them in a better position to scorer, Rodman could often be seen going in the opposite direction, tapping the ball to himself away from defenders to secure the rebound. He made an art form of rebounding and he said that himself that he put all of his energy, concentration and thoughts when he was with the game on just two things defense and rebounding. He knew his strenghts and weaknesses and focused all of his efforts on being the best in the world at his strengths while completely ignoring his weaknesses. In economics they call that the division of labor :)

Interestingly both Pistons Championships teams were a collection of these types of players. Hamilton, Billups, the two Wallaces, Prince and the Bad Boy Pistons had Dumars and Thomas, neither of whom were big time scorers, and a bunch of defensive big men.

The league is so offensive oriented right now and three point shooting has become so dominant that I'm not sure we will ever see a championship contending heavy defensive team like that again.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#22 » by LivingLegend » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
That was what I never understood about guys like Rodman and Wallace is how they did not develop some inside game to average at least 12 points a game, especially with most of those coming from garbage points.

Here is what I know--if Tristan Thompson can average 10+ PPG multiple times then Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman should have been able to lol

Rodman was putrid offensively, he was that bad (when he was younger he spent all of his time in the weight room instead of the gym). In a way I think it made him a better offensive rebounder because he focused a lot of his effort in securing the rebound instead of thinking about scoring or putting a tip back after he got it like a lot of guys do. Whereas a lot of guys would crash the boards going towards the basket to put them in a better position to scorer, Rodman could often be seen going in the opposite direction, tapping the ball to himself away from defenders to secure the rebound. He made an art form of rebounding and he said that himself that he put all of his energy, concentration and thoughts when he was with the game on just two things defense and rebounding. He knew his strenghts and weaknesses and focused all of his efforts on being the best in the world at his strengths while completely ignoring his weaknesses. In economics they call that the division of labor :)

Interestingly both Pistons Championships teams were a collection of these types of players. Hamilton, Billups, the two Wallaces, Prince and the Bad Boy Pistons had Dumars and Thomas, neither of whom were big time scorers, and a bunch of defensive big men.

The league is so offensive oriented right now and three point shooting has become so dominant that I'm not sure we will ever see a championship contending heavy defensive team like that again.

So what your saying is Rodman is really no different than just a glorified Tony Allen
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#23 » by Pantsman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm

scalabrine
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#24 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Thats insane. I wold have figured he would have gotten 12-14ppg at least a few times just by all of the putbacks.

The Pistons were an extremely low scoring team grind it out team. The nine points Big Ben averaged are probably on par with what TT does when adjusted for pace. Big Ben had negative stat inflation.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#25 » by phanman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:24 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

So what your saying is Rodman is really no different than just a glorified Tony Allen

The big difference being a defensive only big still provides positive offensive contributions through setting hard screens and rolling hard to crash the offensive boards to create extra possessions.

Someone like Rodman was also a revolutionary defender who switched on bigs and perimeter players
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#26 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Rich Michmond wrote:Bill Walton

This is shocking to me. In my kid mind, I would have sworn that I remember Walton being a 25 ppg scorer in 77-78.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,526

Post#27 » by THE J0KER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Current DPOY Draymond Green with just one single 12+ season deserves to be mentioned. Team with Curry, Durant, and Klay really doesn't need his points, but he is the leader of such superteam not only in rebounds and other defensive categories, but also in assists too.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#28 » by Baseline Runner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm

LivingLegend wrote:

Rodman was the greatest rebounder of all time. Rebounding is a huge part of the game on both ends of the court. Denying your opponent extra possessions while creating extra possessions for your team is huge. This is why great rebounders of basketball history whether B Wallace, B Russell, Rodman, Barkley, Dwight Howard, etc were often on winning teams. Tony Allen is just a defender, he is not a great playmaker like John Stockton or a great rebounder like Rodman, both of whom were also excellent defenders as well.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,816

Post#29 » by JJ_PR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

ronnymac2 wrote:
lvckv wrote:Came to say Ben Wallace, but Robert Parish

I could have sworn Parish averaged 20 PPG once, but you are correct, he topped out at 19.9 in 1982.

Jason Terry (third all-time in made 3-pointers), Derek Harper, and Terry Porter all fell short of 20 PPG as well.

Isn't that 20 rounded out? xD
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,816

Post#30 » by JJ_PR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Oh my gosh please don't put Tristan f'n Thompson in the same sentence as those other two all time great defenders.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: RE: Re: All Time Greats Who Never Averaged 20 Points Per Game 

Post#31 » by SactoKingsFan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
phanman wrote:Mr. Big Shot Billups - topped out @19.5ppg in 2010

Not really an all-time great though... Billups easily isn't a Top 50 player of all time... Hell, I'm not about to put a list together, but he's probably not a top 100 player of all-time either...
Billups not being even top 100 is a stretch. He actually has a solid case for top 50 and was voted #55 during the latest PC Board Top 100 Project.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,582

Post#32 » by Harry Garris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Andre Iguodala?
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#33 » by DHK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Mark Jackson?
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#34 » by Billy Goat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Rodman was the greatest rebounder of all time. Rebounding is a huge part of the game on both ends of the court. Denying your opponent extra possessions while creating extra possessions for your team is huge. This is why great rebounders of basketball history whether B Wallace, B Russell, Rodman, Barkley, Dwight Howard, etc were often on winning teams. Tony Allen is just a defender, he is not a great playmaker like John Stockton or a great rebounder like Rodman, both of whom were also excellent defenders as well.

Deandre Jordan van be added as well.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#35 » by jonjames » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Ben Wallace is not an all time great. The first player that came to mind when reading the title is Bill Russell.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#36 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Detlef Schrempf, Rik Smits, Dikembe Mutumbo, Mookie Blaylock

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

Return to The General Board