How about this new rule change thought: No player can foul out

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,771

Re: How about this new rule change thought: No player can foul out 

Post#21 » by Jadoogar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

E-Balla wrote:What problem are you looking to fix OP? How often do stars foul out?

I don't think it's necessarily fouling out but 2 quick fouls can cause a coach to sit a player to avoid picking up more fouls. This can result in limited minutes for star/key players.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm

djsunyc wrote:no player can foul out BUT...every foul committed by the player from 6 on results in a technical foul and the other team is awarded a FT.

pros
- players can actually stay in the game and play. no more sitting a quality player b/c of the dreaded "two quick fouls"
- no longer can refs dictate a game's direction with the dreaded "two quick fouls"

cons
- technical fouls can make the games longer

thoughts?

Want to speed it up? Just award the other team the 2 (or 3) points - with the option to shoot free throws if they want to try to miss one.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#23 » by E-Balla » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
E-Balla wrote:What problem are you looking to fix OP? How often do stars foul out?

I don't think it's necessarily fouling out but 2 quick fouls can cause a coach to sit a player to avoid picking up more fouls. This can result in limited minutes for star/key players.

They'd still do that no one wants to have someone out there getting attacked and getting techs if it works.
metalinguss
Veteran
And1: 1,858

Post#24 » by metalinguss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Who shoots the ft? If it's the guy who was fouled wouldn't that just lead to hacking?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,217

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't think you need to add all those stipulations.

Just no player can foul out. Teams still get in the penalty but you can keep your best guys on the court.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#26 » by gmoney411 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't think the foul out is necessary at all. The double bonus is a big enough deterrent imo. As long as they kept ejections for techs and flagrant fouls I think it would be fine.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#27 » by Pennebaker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm

djsunyc wrote:no player can foul out BUT...every foul committed by the player from 6 on results in a technical foul and the other team is awarded a FT.

pros
- players can actually stay in the game and play. no more sitting a quality player b/c of the dreaded "two quick fouls"
- no longer can refs dictate a game's direction with the dreaded "two quick fouls"

cons

thoughts?

Fouls slow the game down. The idea is to limit them. I can see a player committing 8 or 9 or 10 fouls in a game and not being benched because he's too important to his team and because one free throw is not that big of a penalty.

Fouling out is a major deterrent.
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,513

Post#28 » by The4thHorseman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 pm

djsunyc wrote:

if no threat of fouling out then players can play a bit more freely and can stay on the court.

let's say game starts, and refs call 2 quick fouls on gobert. the entire complexion of the game changes now right? then when gobert comes back in the last 2nd quarter, he has to play much softer b/c of the potential of getting the 3rd foul before the half. imho, that hurts the quality of the game.

and as a bonus, it's actually a deterrent to ref's dictating the game from early on.

You're basing this off of the calls not being deserving. If the fouls and calls are legit, then that's a Gobert problem for not being more self disciplined early in the game.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,109

Post#29 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 pm

If speed is the problem just award a point and ball out.

I do hate the 2 quick fouls thing. Seems like such an arbitrary way to lose a game.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#30 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 pm

djsunyc wrote:

if no threat of fouling out then players can play a bit more freely and can stay on the court.

let's say game starts, and refs call 2 quick fouls on gobert. the entire complexion of the game changes now right? then when gobert comes back in the last 2nd quarter, he has to play much softer b/c of the potential of getting the 3rd foul before the half. imho, that hurts the quality of the game.

and as a bonus, it's actually a deterrent to ref's dictating the game from early on.

Stay out of foul trouble. Simple.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#31 » by NbaAllDay » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 pm

It's a stretch to suggest that a Ref these days tries to 'dictate' the game. If they see a foul, it's a foul. Why should it matter how good the player is?

Obviously you can get some "dodgy" foul calls. Like in every other sport.

Not fouling is a skill in of itself. It's either because your defense is good and structured. Or the skills diminish because you maybe play none at all.

I think people forget that sometimes playing "half defense" can lead to more fouls due to being out of position.
Other are overly aggressive and commit to hard and therefore also foul.

There is room for good defense in the middle and I see no point in getting rid of the threat of leaving the game by removing a foul cap.
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#32 » by Thundershock88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:
Thundershock88 wrote:I'd rather bring back hand checking.

why you want hand checking in zone defense era? You want them 77-79 type of games like the early 00s had?

I don't have any problem with them.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#33 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

how about no 3 point shots? Bring back the big men
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#34 » by Black Mage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Bad idea. Means teams will employ hack a player all game long since no one can foul out.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#35 » by Soupman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm

pros

cons

thoughts?

Hubie brown brought this up awhile ago and it was a brilliant idea.

Star players can stay in the games longer and would slow down the "star calls".
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
6ixgrod
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#36 » by 6ixgrod » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 pm

If it's a matter of losing star players at inopportune times due to whistle happy refs, you could always just raise the number to foul out to 7 or 8.

Return to The General Board