Walking down the memory lane of Daryl Morey's GM career

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Walking down the memory lane of Daryl Morey's GM career 

Post#21 » by MaxRider » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 am

ken6199 wrote:
DoubleLintendre wrote:Yeah, that was a badass read.

Nice find and share.

What strikes me a bit is as a guy often labeled as a "good risk taker", he was first very humble and candid about all his mistakes - trying to land top tier talent outside of where they are picked from with the lack of information at hand, then being so adamant about throwing everything at Harden is a fully calculated move. Same for his reputation transition from "the asset shuffling guy", to "don't fix what's not broken".

MaxRider wrote:Lowry -- 3rd string at that time? I thought he was Conley backup and some Grizzlies fans actually want him starting over Conley

He might have got mixed up with the season before (07-08 season), when Lowry was a rookie playing behind Damon Stoudamire, because that's probably when he started monitoring Lowry closely.

about your signature ... are you sure A isn't Anderson?
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#22 » by ken6199 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:39 pm

MaxRider wrote:about your signature ... are you sure A isn't Anderson?

It could be. Anderson = A champ. That means, he is not a difference maker on this team. In all fairness, the guy is a starting caliber power forward in the league for a contending team. He is by no means a black hole, and I have no problem with him riding with us till the end of this year. However, his role can be adequately filled by others like Ariza, Mbah, Tucker, or even Joe Johnson at this point, and he is on a very unfriendly contract. Wish we can find a way to send him to places like Portland where his value is more appreciated.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#23 » by Throwback24 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Wow you got my guy Jeff Ma on? Must listen.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#24 » by mike76 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 pm

lebron stopper wrote:Great insightful stuff from Morey, but I just wanna complain about one part here because this quoted part really stings as a Raptors fan.

ken6199 wrote:Resolutions with Jeremy Lin & Kyle Lowry?

Our biggest hit in this whole period was trading Kyle Lowry to Toronto, who needed a starting PG. We knew we were treading water as a .500 team. They were willing to give us a 1st but insisted it be structured in a unique way that had never been done in the NBA. Most times first round picks are traded, you say I'll give a 1st for the player but if it's in the top 10, we keep it. When we talked Toronto, we structured the pick, instead of it's in the top 10, you don't get it, you only get it if it's in the top 14. It was basically a reverse protected pick that was guaranteed to be a high pick in the draft. We thought it would be useful as a trade piece or as a high pick in the draft. That ended up being the key piece in the James Harden deal. We gave up a lot in the Harden deal but the #1 asset OKC was interested in was the pick. In many ways, my career was essentially made on these two risky bets: trading our starting PG for a 3rd string PG & trading out Lowry for a question mark draft pick that was key in the Harden deal.

OK what the F*** was Bryan Colangelo smoking when he came up with a pick that would be given away guaranteed if it ended up in the lottery?

This really stings. If that pick was "reverse protected" 1-10 even, or better yet protected 1-14 like it usually is, Raptors would have kept it (it was no. 12 in 2013) and the new GM Masai would have been able to draft Giannis like he wanted to (and Giannis, drafted no. 15 in 2013, is pretty good, as I think you are all aware).

Bryan Colangelo hurting the Raptors even on his way out. Thanks for nothing Bryan Colangelo! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oh does lightning strike twice here as Colangelo essentially replaces Morey's prodigy in Philly and pulls the same reverse protections with the Lakers and Kings in the trade to move up for the #1 pick.

Now I don't think that deal will end up terrible as it looks now as I'm counting on:
1) Fultz being able to remember to shoot by next season and hence being able to play at the level of at least a rotation player
2) us keeping the Lakers pick in the 8-10 range
3) the only real talent in the 2019 draft being Zion Williamson and we have the Kings pick #1 protected for us

Only real negative is being unable to trade those picks in the pursuit of a real superstar/all star (Kawhi, Kemba, Klay, etc)

However, man does Colangelo have a track record of f***ing up trades.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#25 » by MaxRider » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:56 pm

ken6199 wrote:
MaxRider wrote:about your signature ... are you sure A isn't Anderson?

It could be. Anderson = A champ. That means, he is not a difference maker on this team. In all fairness, the guy is a starting caliber power forward in the league for a contending team. He is by no means a black hole, and I have no problem with him riding with us till the end of this year. However, his role can be adequately filled by others like Ariza, Mbah, Tucker, or even Joe Johnson at this point, and he is on a very unfriendly contract. Wish we can find a way to send him to places like Portland where his value is more appreciated.

I like Mbah a Moute that he been taking advantage of the spacing and driving in more
I like Anderson playing more with confident now, his shot is finally falling
it's really tough for MDA who get playing time when everyone is healthy

Return to The General Board