Bigger upset: Houston beating GS or CLE not making it to finals

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Bigger upset

Houston beating GS in WCF
74%
Cleveland not making finals
26%

Total votes: 93

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Bigger upset: Houston beating GS or CLE not making it to finals 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Which would be the bigger upset for the league, Houston beating the Dubs in the WCF or Cleveland not making the finals?

Vote above and explain.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Re: Biggest upset: Houston beating GS or CLE not making it to finals 

Post#2 » by yoyoboy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Golden State losing for sure. I don't think it's even close. It's very arguable that Toronto is the far away favorites to win the East. But Golden State, even despite how well Houston has played, is absolutely the favorite to come out of the West.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#3 » by wfiles » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Easily Houston beating GS in WCF would be the biggest upset. Kevin Durant broke the NBA and on their way to winning 5 straight championships. :nod:
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,359

Post#4 » by pace31 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Both happening wouldn't flat out shock me
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#5 » by jonjames » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

How is Cleveland not making it to the Finals this year even an upset? I don't think people realize just how bad the Cavs have been this season. They're currently ranked 29th of 30 in defensive rating. No team has EVER made the Finals with a defensive rating that bad. I'm sure some people are going to say "well look at their 2015 and 2017 seasons, their defensive rating wasn't good those years and they still made the Finals". Well 1. their defensive rating wasn't good but not nearly as bad as they are this year, there is a severe regression in the Cavs defense 2. look at their competition, they only had to beat hawks with injury problemsn and the weakest 1st seed in recent memory in Boston who had a 2.25 SRS and ranked 8th offensively 13th defensively, this year 1st seed Toronto is at 7.97 SRS and ranked 4th offensively 3rd defensively one of the statistically strongest east teams in years 3. they had Big 3 back then, this year no Kyrie no nothing, just Lebron/Love and role players. Cavs are just being overrated as usual.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Bigger upset: Houston beating GS or CLE not making it to finals 

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:Which would be the bigger upset for the league, Houston beating the Dubs in the WCF or Cleveland not making the finals?

Vote above and explain.

Of course Houston beating GS
GS is still the favorite to win it all
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,366

Post#7 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm going to say Cleveland not coming out of the East.
Neither would shock me, but Lebron has made 7 straight Finals trips, which makes it hard to imagine him not going back without a clear-cut superstar to challenge him. Kyrie, Lowry and Derozan are great players, but not MVP level.
Houston, on the other hand, has the likely-MVP this season who was runner-up last season, and a former MVP candidate who is putting up great numbers per 36.
As good as the Warriors have been the last few seasons, they haven't looked any better than Houston so far this season.
I still think it's Dubs-Cavs part IIII though.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,579

Post#8 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Houston. Trust The Process
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#9 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Easily Houston

Raptors are better than Cavs if Lowry and derozan don't choke. Demarre Carroll ain't guarding lebron this time. Remember the name Pascal Siakam. kid is gonna give lebron issues with his defense. I'll be shocked if Cleveland gets to the finals. that's how I see it
Raptors til death
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#10 » by The Penguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Cavs

Houston goes nuclear from 3 in 1 or 2 games and Harden & CP3 go off in 1 or 2 games, suddenly you are in a "anything can happen" game 7.

I just don't see anyone beating Lebron (and the refs) in the East.
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#11 » by Ramed Nazored » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:55 pm

The Penguin wrote:Cavs

Houston goes nuclear from 3 in 1 or 2 games and Harden & CP3 go off in 1 or 2 games, suddenly you are in a "anything can happen" game 7.

I just don't see anyone beating Lebron (and the refs) in the East.

Truth.
Stanq
Junior
And1: 331

Post#12 » by Stanq » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

I'd be both shocked and happy if GSW loses to Houston. But I can't see the Cavs losing to a Raptors team that, even if better than last year, is not revamped. I still remember Lebron spinning the ball in his hand before hitting a dagger in Ibaka's face, and that just sums last year ECSF.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,485

Post#13 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Rockets beating the Warriors

And it's not even close IMO
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#14 » by otwok » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 pm

If Houston upsets GS. I think it's a bigger surprise if GS doesn't make the finals than CLE. They aren't the powerhouse that GS is. CLE makes the finals not on their ability but on the lack of ability of the conference. For GS it's the other way around. They are the powerhouse.
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#15 » by Ramed Nazored » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Stanq wrote:I'd be both shocked and happy if GSW loses to Houston. But I can't see the Cavs losing to a Raptors team that, even if better than last year, is not revamped. I still remember Lebron spinning the ball in his hand before hitting a dagger in Ibaka's face, and that just sums last year ECSF.

This is an entirely different team, compare stats from this year to last if you disagree.

I'll take our young guys over the Cav's new additions any day. I'm far from convinced that Hood, Hill, Clarkson, and Nance turn you into a contender. I really like our chances in that match up this year, if it happens.

Let's see.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#16 » by Mister Ze » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

I think its the Cavs not making the finals given Lebron's finals streak.

Houston is looking really good, if they finish with a better record, better head-to-head record, and deeper team I wouldn't necessarily label it as an upset since the warning signs were pretty evident.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#17 » by Vampirate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm

It's GSW getting beat by Houston.

There's are a bunch of teams in the East that could theoreticly take out the Cavs due to:

1. Age of Lebron
2. Unknown cast with Lebron aside from Loive
3. Only a half season together

The Cavs are still the favs but it's only because they have Lebron and that's it.
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#18 » by xfactor » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Houston and GS are neck and neck, and virtually indistinguishable. Either one could make the Finals and wouldn't surprise me. Cavs not making it would stun me.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#19 » by ken6199 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Thought very hard for a few seconds, than the fact "playoff Lebron can pretty much play 1 on 5 and still win" tipped the scale.

CLE not making the finals is a bigger upset, regardless of who LeBron play with or against.

Btw OP, I think if you change option 1 to "Houston beating GS without HCA", then we have a better poll :D
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,582

Post#20 » by Harry Garris » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm

As shocking as the Raptors winning the East would be, almost no one gave any team other than the Warriors a shot of winning the championship this year. They seemed so dominant and unbeatable last season, and unfortunately I think they'll become that team again once the playoffs start.

Return to The General Board