Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league 

Post#1 » by taj2133 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Brian Windhorst

Verified account

@WindhorstESPN
Follow Follow @WindhorstESPN
More
NBA referee relations with players, coaches & league office are as bad as any time in recent memory. With the tension of the playoffs coming, the sides are trying to work together to calm things down:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/983726709462749184
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Re: Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league 

Post#2 » by InWestWeTrust » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

League office? Sheesh that’s no good. Sounds like Silver needs to put some respek on the refs names.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Re: Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league 

Post#3 » by Tai » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm

'Tis the season to claim Team A only won a playoff series cause of the refs tho. Silver may as well try and get in front of it now.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
jordan0386
Senior
And1: 570

Post#4 » by jordan0386 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Disallow players from cursing at refs.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#5 » by barelyawake » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm

If the NBA is to survive and grow as a sport, it has to stop being viewed by many as the WWE “guiding” the playoffs via star calls. Fans have had just about enough of that. If stars are allowed to travel and foul with impunity in the fourth quarter of games, then why watch?
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,364

Post#6 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Here's an easy solution, if the league office has the balls to enforce it and stand by the refs.
No approaching the ref during live action. If it's a dead ball and you want to ask them about a call, sure. But while the game is still going on, players don't need to be running up to the refs and getting in their face and complaining.
Not only does it look bad from an entertainment stand point and distract from the actual game being played, but the refs actually have a job to do and it isn't to get cursed at by grown men. Whether they missed a call or not, they need to get in position for the next play, not play babysitter to some grown man acting like a toddler throwing a fit.
So I say automatic tech for approaching a ref during live action, period, no exceptions. That way the rule is clear and there is no gray area. The players have abused this courtesy to the point where it needs to be eliminated so everyone can move on imo.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#7 » by Javier Acosta » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 pm

InWestWeTrust wrote:League office? Sheesh that’s no good. Sounds like Silver needs to put some respek on the refs names.

If there was more respek!!!!!! for the game this would not be the situation.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#8 » by BadWolf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm

There were lots seldom NBA games on TV when I was young here in Europe. But when they were the commentators always pointed out how noone argues with the referees in NBA. How bizarre.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,557

Post#9 » by Dominator83 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:39 pm

BadWolf wrote:There were lots seldom NBA games on TV when I was young here in Europe. But when they were the commentators always pointed out how noone argues with the referees in NBA. How bizarre.

Those commentators mustve rarely watched any games then. This has been going on forever, not just this era
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#10 » by Mylie10 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Why not just dump this current batch of junky refs. We all know who the main culprits are.

What has to happen is less confrontation from refs, and more leeway to guys who may be voicing as much frustration about themselves as they are towards a certain ref.

The old guys would interact and ask players about their personal lives, and vice a versa. Seems like the current group of refs has to thick a skin.

Lighten up Francis!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,522

Post#11 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 pm

jordan0386 wrote:Disallow players from cursing at refs.

It's a two way street though. You've had refs this season confronting players like the Livingston situation.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#12 » by RememberLu » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Fire all the refs and replace them with midgets!
WMDman
Rookie
And1: 466

Post#13 » by WMDman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:52 pm

just get tony brothers out of the nba
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#14 » by Mister Ze » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

WMDman wrote:just get tony brothers out of the nba

Don't forget Lauren Holtkamp and Marc Davis.

Referees need to drop their egos. If a player yells at you for blowing a call they suddenly feel entitled to better treatment. Durant actually pointed this out - he cursed out an official and claims the guy was going after him in the second half.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,173

Post#15 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 pm

As bad as the refs have been, the players are a bunch of babies. Control yourself.. I see players in other sports perfectly capable of doing that so don't tell me they're just being competitive. Nothing is more annoying then Lowry staying back to complain to the ref while game action continues.
Coachcavplaya23
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#16 » by Coachcavplaya23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm

It is bad because the players and coaches cry and yell at the refs because they feel they don’t get certain calls all of the time

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#17 » by John Murdoch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:18 pm

That promo commercial is pretty cringe lol. The refs just feel more empowered now than ever. The 3 ball revolution has stopped the superstar calls imo thus increasing the tension and lack of communication all around the league.
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm on #TeamREF on this one... Players need to stop being so butt hurt. So what if the ref doesn't want to hear you complaining and crying after every call (I'm looking at you Westbrook, CP3)... They shouldn't have to.

Your job is to play, their job is to ref.

Is the referees don't want to engage in back and forth banter, they don't have to. Other sports don't tolerate this kind of nonsense.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#19 » by ishoy123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:Here's an easy solution, if the league office has the balls to enforce it and stand by the refs.
No approaching the ref during live action. If it's a dead ball and you want to ask them about a call, sure. But while the game is still going on, players don't need to be running up to the refs and getting in their face and complaining.
Not only does it look bad from an entertainment stand point and distract from the actual game being played, but the refs actually have a job to do and it isn't to get cursed at by grown men. Whether they missed a call or not, they need to get in position for the next play, not play babysitter to some grown man acting like a toddler throwing a fit.
So I say automatic tech for approaching a ref during live action, period, no exceptions. That way the rule is clear and there is no gray area. The players have abused this courtesy to the point where it needs to be eliminated so everyone can move on imo.

That would increase tension.
LeoBrooklyn
Sophomore
And1: 206

Post#20 » by LeoBrooklyn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Can't wait for AI refs

Return to The General Board