Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Re: Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league 

Post#41 » by DTP » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Why not just dump this current batch of junky refs. We all know who the main culprits are.

What has to happen is less confrontation from refs, and more leeway to guys who may be voicing as much frustration about themselves as they are towards a certain ref.

The old guys would interact and ask players about their personal lives, and vice a versa. Seems like the current group of refs has to thick a skin.

Lighten up Francis!

What you guys don't realize is...these guys ARE THE BEST. Seriously, have you seen college officials? You think those guys are better. Humans have to understand, refs aren't going to be perfect. Players and coaches have to understand, refs aren't going to be perfect. There's no such thing as a perfect official in the game of basketball, where so many calls are subjective.

I think the way some of these guys talk to officials is just insane. Reading what KD said to the ref when he was thrown out the Milwaukee game.....there should definitely be more punishment for crap like that. It's annoying and unprofessional.
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Re: Brian Windhorst says nba are trying to workout the ref tension with the league 

Post#42 » by gojoorange » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:23 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
gojoorange wrote:If the refs just called the game consistently there would be less opportunity for arguing. It's not that they make mistakes, it's what they choose to call at any given time. The game needs to be called per the rule book and the players will adjust. The leeway that's allowed for traveling, 3-in the key calls, and even contact on a shot is the main issue. It's called differently from play to play.

They don't call the game consistently because a lot of these calls aren't black and white. There's a lot of discretion. There's a real question whether the NBA is training refs to exercise it right but you'll just never see consistency beyond a certain point.

What's more black and white than traveling or a three seconds call?
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#43 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 am

Just don't curse or yell at refs and I don't think you'd get many technicals :-? . It would also highlight bad technicals/fouls more because there'd be less instances of deserved ones to point to from the referees perspective.

Travels, carries, illegal screens and touch fouls on the perimeter - refs need to do a better job on these as well.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#44 » by Teen Girl Squad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 am

I've been on team 'The Players need to STFU' for years and years now. Its never made sense to me and this is the year its gone off the rails. Half the league (at least) is actively looking for any and every call that seems even marginally questionable (and often not at all) and going to town of the refs. Its like 5-10 possessions a game where at least one player ignores transition defense/offensive rebound etc... to yell at the refs. Honestly I think a lot of the bad reffing is because the refs are on pins and needles knowing that a few of the players will curse them out in almost every game. This isn't to excuse the refs for their end of things but the players have been pouring gasoline on it (I think its the combo of the old guard retiring and no more Stern, aka the power dynamic is gone without the 'fixers'). Reffing basketball has always been a challenge so just saying "git gud" is lazy and unhelpful. We can at least start with the 1/2 where we can directly control it, making it easier to see how the refs are actually performing (spoiler alert, its probably not as bad as we think without everyone getting triggered every single game).
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,859

Post#45 » by Duffman100 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 am

Players need to stop complaining.

Refs need to be goddamn consistent. Game to game, quarter to quarter, play to play. The inconsistency is maddening.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#46 » by Veggamattic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 am

They need to go to 4 refs. Especially in the playoffs.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,728

Post#47 » by Nate505 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 am

As much as I feel like the Jazz have been screwed by the refs this season, the league has to stand behind the refs. You can't have dickbags like Draymond Green constantly scream at them.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,728

Post#48 » by Nate505 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 am

Master Ze wrote:
WMDman wrote:just get tony brothers out of the nba

Don't forget Lauren Holtkamp and Marc Davis.

Referees need to drop their egos. If a player yells at you for blowing a call they suddenly feel entitled to better treatment. Durant actually pointed this out - he cursed out an official and claims the guy was going after him in the second half.

Good. **** him. Don't curse them out.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#49 » by sule » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 am

Edrees wrote:At the same time refs need to swallow their pride and reverse a call they initially said if they realize they made a mistake.

There's been, maybe a handful of times this season alone, where the refs made a bad call that was very questionable to start with, that has impacted the result of games, and after reviewing, they dig in with a very questionable rationale. And when confronted, just shrug their shoulders and say "too bad" before being walked off by security.

That's unacceptable.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#50 » by Edrees » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 am

sule wrote:
Edrees wrote:At the same time refs need to swallow their pride and reverse a call they initially said if they realize they made a mistake.

There's been, maybe a handful of times this season alone, where the refs made a bad call that was very questionable to start with, that has impacted the result of games, and after reviewing, they dig in with a very questionable rationale. And when confronted, just shrug their shoulders and say "too bad" before being walked off by security.

That's unacceptable.

Definitely a pride thing. It's similar to the feeling you get when you realize you lost an arguement but don't feel like admitting it. Officials shouldn't be doing this for sure.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#51 » by afarmenian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 am

gojoorange wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
gojoorange wrote:If the refs just called the game consistently there would be less opportunity for arguing. It's not that they make mistakes, it's what they choose to call at any given time. The game needs to be called per the rule book and the players will adjust. The leeway that's allowed for traveling, 3-in the key calls, and even contact on a shot is the main issue. It's called differently from play to play.

They don't call the game consistently because a lot of these calls aren't black and white. There's a lot of discretion. There's a real question whether the NBA is training refs to exercise it right but you'll just never see consistency beyond a certain point.

What's more black and white than traveling or a three seconds call?

um traveling is the definition of a judgement call. Who is to say when a player has completed his dribble, established a pivot etc.

3 seconds, who is to say what a move to the hoop is or at what point does he start to pass to a teammate.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#52 » by Pattycakes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 am

The refs this year have made the league unwatchable.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#53 » by Mister Ze » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 am

Nate505 wrote:
Master Ze wrote:
WMDman wrote:just get tony brothers out of the nba

Don't forget Lauren Holtkamp and Marc Davis.

Referees need to drop their egos. If a player yells at you for blowing a call they suddenly feel entitled to better treatment. Durant actually pointed this out - he cursed out an official and claims the guy was going after him in the second half.

Good. **** him. Don't curse them out.

Yeah it’s wrong to curse them out but allowing your emotions to dictate how you officiate going forward is unfair
NBARocks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#54 » by NBARocks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 am

it should be an automatic T if players run up or complain to a ref while the ball is live. That's impeding of game and blocking the ref from monitoring the game. Wait for the dead ball to complain. Better still, only team captains and coaches should be able to talk to the ref. tthe rest should be T'd up if they try to engage the ref.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#55 » by Jables » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 am

alessandrux wrote:
mademan wrote:
alessandrux wrote:At no other sport I follow (and any sport I have seen before) it is allowed to curse at refs(neither by the athletes nor the coaches).
I don't get anyone who defends that it is okay to disrespect the referees (even if they make mistakes, how does that make it okay?).

Soccer players yell at refs all the time. Baseball players a scream at umpires

If you curse you get booked (or more common: sent off), if you yell the ref is also allowed to book you (soccer; I don't watch baseball and can't comment on it).

In my (subjective) experience, the less communication in and upset state is allowed in sports the more respectful it is (e.g. Rugby).

I also think coaches are main culprits and I can't understand how they are allowed to enter the court during plays.

I've seen entire teams surround and yell at refs in Soccer and they 100% don't get booked. It's an accepted tactic to get the refs to give you more calls in that sport. Probably harder to book people when you get surrounded.

It goes both ways, refs talk to players a LOT in the NBA compared to other sports, and they don't always act in a non incendiary way. I see them act snarky all the time. Communicating isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's the only sport where I've seen refs or umpires actually inflate the situation.

Return to The General Board