How can Adam Silver justify keeping the Lakers out of the playoffs so many years in a row??

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LakersDynasty14
Senior
And1: 513

How can Adam Silver justify keeping the Lakers out of the playoffs so many years in a row?? 

Post#1 » by LakersDynasty14 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Interest in the NBA and the NBA Playoffs has been on the decline every year that the Lakers are not in the playoffs. The Lakers struggles can be directly traced to David Stern’s unauthorized and illegal vetoing of the Chris Paul trade, which not only cost Kobe at least 3 more titles, it completely derailed the NBA’s most valuable and storied franchise.

Now it’s been 5 years out of the playoffs and the NBA is in a world of hurt because of it. Should Adam Silver be taking drastic action to fix Stern’s screw up and find a way to either pressure teams to send players, or the players themselves to go to the Lakers? I know it’s non-traditional, but NBA might not survive much longer without the Lakers being contenders, and it is 100% the leagues fault they are struggling now.

What options does Silver have in this situation, is it not his duty as commissioner to make this right?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Re: How can Adam Silver justify keeping the Lakers out of the playoffs so many years in a row?? 

Post#3 » by shmoosicle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Pretty sure the league is doing just fine, though I agree that veto never made much sense.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
doctaJ_92
Assistant Coach
And1: 171

Re: How can Adam Silver justify keeping the Lakers out of the playoffs so many years in a row?? 

Post#4 » by doctaJ_92 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

There has never been a more Lakers fan post than this one. You've truly set the bar even higher than what was an already insurmountable target.
Read on Twitter
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,703

Post#5 » by Clay Davis » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Because they suck.

I didn't even have to read anything beyond the title to reach this answer, so it's a bit embarrassing that you spent any amount of beyond that writing this post.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#6 » by kodo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Vibranium
Rookie
And1: 1,938

Post#7 » by Vibranium » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

So you are saying the NBA should rig it for the Lakers to be better?
Read on Twitter
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,170

Post#8 » by KokoKaizer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

:o :lol: :o

Thanks !
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,471

Post#9 » by Patches Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Contrary to the belief of the primary consumers of tin foil, the league does not adjust team outcomes for the supposed benefit of ratings.

Adam Silver should have a conversation with Lakers FO that goes like this:
"Do better"
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,713

Post#10 » by RB34 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:27 pm

This has copy pasta potential.
TrillyandTruly
Junior
And1: 604

Post#11 » by TrillyandTruly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

TC, please close your account.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,371

Post#12 » by Ckay » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Nephew delete this.
LakersDynasty14
Senior
And1: 513

Post#13 » by LakersDynasty14 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Patches Perry wrote:Contrary to the belief of the primary consumers of tin foil, the league does not adjust team outcomes for the supposed benefit of ratings.

"Do better"

The league 100% does do this though, as evidenced by the illegal vetoing of the Chris Paul trade. The Lakers were becoming too powerful, and the league stepped in to adjust.

The league stepping in now to correct that mistake and balance out the power the took, would be no different.

Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#14 » by Bologna Smasher » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

It was only okay because the Clippers were in the playoffs. With the Clippers now looking to rebuild, you can bet your ass the Lakers will be in the playoffs next year regardless of what they do in the off-season. :dontknow:
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,559

Post#15 » by Alatan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Ahahahaahhahaha.

Best post ever.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,024

Post#16 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 pm

wow
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#17 » by Baller1234a » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Still doesn’t beat this
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1627280&hilit=Trade
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#18 » by papidulo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

LakersDynasty14 wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:Contrary to the belief of the primary consumers of tin foil, the league does not adjust team outcomes for the supposed benefit of ratings.

"Do better"

The league 100% does do this though, as evidenced by the illegal vetoing of the Chris Paul trade. The Lakers were becoming too powerful, and the league stepped in to adjust.

The league stepping in now to correct that mistake and balance out the power the took, would be no different.

The league vetoed the trade bc at the time, the league owned the Pelicans, before Benson bought them. It was easier to find a buyer for the team when the team had a star player, as opposed to without one.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,471

Post#19 » by Patches Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 pm

LakersDynasty14 wrote:

"Do better"

Do people still believe this? The league didn't veto the trade, the Hornets owners did. It was just a bizarre situation where the other owners temporarily owned the team, and other owners didn't like how the finances shook out for them.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Post#20 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Haha I'm taking this as a joke post. Basically everything said in it was opposite of reality. The interest and ratings in the NBA has been sky rocketing not declining, actually the only sport in the US that is seeing significant rating boosts over the last couple years. Yesterday's ratings was even a huge increase over last year's highly watched playoffs. So ya this is either a joke post or the OP and I have drastically different definitions of "hurting".

Return to The General Board