Did Westbrook just try to attack a fan?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Re: Did Westbrook just try to attack a fan? 

Post#241 » by lakerz12 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Bayside wrote:I don't see anything abnormal how that man is using his camera. Westbrook is just an unchecked ego, and in typical fashion, his aggression is being dismissed. The guy has some issues. Sport figures with his profile get passes to much.

A normal way to use your cell phone camera is within your own space. As opposed to leaning forward, extending your arm, and putting it within 2 feet of the face of someone who just got eliminated from the playoffs.

Russell may have excessive ego and aggression, but to dismiss the fan behavior is equally wrong.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,046

Post#242 » by Drakeem » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Novocaine wrote:
Maury2423 wrote:
shza wrote:
We’ve never had a President of the United States. Just normal people like Maury who happen to have had the job of president for 4 or 8 years and should not be held to a different standard than anyone else since deep down, we’re all people.

See this is where your compensation shows, or lack of it. Where did i say something even close to that first part?
Of course we've had presidents, but they're just people like you and I. They tie their shoes like we do, they need to drink water and eat like we do. They're just better equipped or prepared than the majority of people that aren't or haven't been president.

And why in the world would you hold another human being to a higher standard than yourself or the people around you just because of what they do for a living? If you want to put those people in power in some category where they shouldn't be allowed to do no wrong then idk man, maybe you should think more highly of those around you and yourself, or don't think THAT highly of those in power.

I mean, because it's an integral part of the job. I dislike this cliché, but I suppose it's appropriate here: it's simply how the real world work. Jobs have some lateral, either explicit or implicit, requirements and norms, that one has to abide to. It's not even about power - different jobs have different expectations when it comes to dealing with the public. I mean, imagine a bouncer or security in a night club or an event flipping out every time there's some drunken bore being annoying? Or a customer service rep responding in kind every time some angry client acts with a shortage of civility? I mean, some guys do that but they generally don't have very long or successful careers. There's no expectation of symmetry here. Can you imagine a politician who goes to a townhall and answers in kind to his critics? And often they'd be entirely justified to do it. Yet they don't because they know it comes with the territory - they can always go be a lumberjack or work in an oil platform or whatever if they're not up to be the bigger person and keep a high-degree of self-control and you know, have a thick skin.

If you don't want to deal with the sort of stuff that comes with being a celebrity athlete, or a celebrity actor or whatever, like having people trying to take pics of you while you pass by then, you do what Bobby Fisher, Greta Garbo or that guy who played King Joffrey on GoT and retire from public life.

I mean, this wasn't exactly a paparazzi trying to take pics of Westbrook while he's walking to a shop with his family, or a fan bothering him in a restaurant. This fan did what thousands of other NBA fans do every season, no more, no less. It's pretty much a perk that comes with those seats, you might get a hi-5 from a player, or say something they might listen to.

This happens every game. Just like it happens to famous actors, or writers in book presentations, etc. Unless the fans keep their hands right in front of the players, impeding their natural progression, they aren't doing anything wrong and they shouldn't be afraid of players reacting with any sort of aggression.

This, this, this, and this again. Have none of you guys had jobs in customer service? You gotta keep a smile on your face and keep it moving, whether they talk about the product, the company, you, your family, or any personal insult they may hurl, otherwise you get fired. It isn't about what's right and wrong, it's about the company you represent and the fact that you need to be the bigger man because you're the one in a professional setting, they aren't.

The fan was stupid, but Westbrooks reaction was unneeded. Like it or not, you're a celebrity now, and part of the price you pay to play the game you love and earn the money to set up your family for generations is to learn how to ignore fans like that. People have to swallow their pride earning minimum wage, I'm sure Westbrook can ignore people for 30 million, especially when the action is relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things (i.e. no racial slurs, physical contact, etc).
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#243 » by OdomFan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:35 pm

What a stupid thread. Westbrook is clearly just trying to smack the phone out of his way. The dude just lost a playoff series and this idiot purposely reached out in his path what is he supposed to do?
Son_of_Slam
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#244 » by Son_of_Slam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 pm

drakeem - that's just not completely true. i am sorry you've had that type of work experience. i understand what you are saying. but that is not a universal reality. "the customer is always right" applies to whore companies with substandard or easily replaced products and services. when you offer a quality product or service you choose the customer and set the parameters of behavior. if you are skimming by with a revolving door of low paid employees who must accept abuse as terms of employment maybe you shouldn't be in business.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#245 » by karkinos » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:41 pm

i don't really care if there's a right or wrong

i think as a grown man, if you stick a camera phone in the opponent's face to record what was obviously upsetting, you should not be surprised if that pisses him off

common sense people.
don't play with fire then cry about getting burned.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,508

Post#246 » by DaPessimist » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:41 pm

This thread is full of hyperbole. The fan wasn’t invading his personal space. And Russ didn’t “attack” the fan.

Sometimes this social media era of overreactions is unbearably soft.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#247 » by lakerz12 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:55 pm

DaPessimist wrote:This thread is full of hyperbole. The fan wasn’t invading his personal space. And Russ didn’t “attack” the fan.

Dude was obviously in the friend zone. And he's not a friend.

He should have stayed in "audience" zone. :D
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#248 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:49 pm

If Westbrook can't deal with heckling fans he should quit the NBA. The fans are the ones that make his multi million contracts possible. They are there to be entertained. As long as the fans aren't trying to physically assault a player it's fine.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#249 » by cruwinas » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:54 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:He reached his hand out. He didnt taunt like the guy at halftime. Huge overreaction as usual from Westbrook.

Self absorbed, narcissistic egomaniac. Who can't perform when it matters. Pity. I hope LBJ signs with OKC. Would be fun to watch OKC finishing out of the play-offs next season.
:crazy:
JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Post#250 » by JermaineOYea » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Maury2423 wrote:
JermaineOYea wrote:
Maury2423 wrote:
Yeh... who they are and what they do are different imo.

I'm entertained by what they do but to me they're not "entertainers", they're just The Rock and Tom Hanks doing entertaining things.

Psssshhh, well that's Dwayne Johnson to you then, buddy.

The me th Rock is a nickname that he got when he was wrestling. The same way that I have different nicknames depending on who I'm hanging out with. A nickname isn't the same as a label put on somebody because of what they dofor a living, so I guess your sarcasm was pretty dumb in that situation.

And everytime I see him, I call him Dwayne, he actually prefers to be called by his name.

Get the stick out of your backside dude. It was a simple joke that I had hoped would put a smile on your now-apparent petulant face.

Curmudgeon.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
cursedsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 1,448

Post#251 » by cursedsportsfan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:35 pm

The hate for Westbrook is unreal. Imagine getting a demotion at work, getting fired, or failing on a project. Next thing you know someone has a phone right in your face recording your reaction. Yes, I know he's paid millions of dollars but in the end he's still a person.

Act like a tool and expect that type of reaction. If a player doesn't care if they lose you all are up in arms. If a player cares this much and acts like Russ did you're all up in arms. Literally, either way it goes you'll find a way to put a player on blast.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#252 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:This thread is full of hyperbole. The fan wasn’t invading his personal space. And Russ didn’t “attack” the fan.

Dude was obviously in the friend zone. And he's not a friend.

He should have stayed in "audience" zone. :D

:lol:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#253 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 pm

ocelot17 wrote:He should go to jail, honestly. He assaulted two fans, one of which was a woman.

wut?
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#254 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:If Westbrook can't deal with heckling fans he should quit the NBA. The fans are the ones that make his multi million contracts possible. They are there to be entertained. As long as the fans aren't trying to physically assault a player it's fine.

I am a Jazz fan, and I think this crosses the line. Heckling is fine, but there should be some level of human decency.

Westbrook should have grabbed the phone and spiked it like he just scored a touchdown. Would have served this guy right.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,728

Post#255 » by Nate505 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:31 pm

The phone was hardly in his face. Like if you think it is your depth perception is staggeringly bad. He could have just continued walking like 99% of others players do, but he wouldn't be Westbrook if he did that.

That being said I'd hardly call this an attack either.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#256 » by commentatorer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 am

Son_of_Slam wrote:
commentatorer wrote:When it comes to strangers, I expect the worst.
Westbrook is incredibly naive if he expects good things to come out of a stranger's mouth....
The only people you should expect respect from is your friends or family.
And why does it matter what a stranger thinks/says?
And if Westbrook did act violently toward someone for saying something, that makes Westbrook the villain, because words are only words.

wow. i disagree with every word in this post. i can't believe operating in the world with this kind of outlook.

and "sticks and stones . . . " has always been wrong. the same parts of the brain are activated in response to both physical and emotional pain.

But whoever throws the first punch is the villain, there is no way around that.
If someone verbally abuses you, you can retaliate by saying whatever you want, that's no problem.
Rednation91
Pro Prospect
And1: 524

Post#257 » by Rednation91 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:51 am

lakerz12 wrote:Image

This is not respectful behavior. You don't stick your arm out to within 2 feet of a player's face when they are walking by.

The guy invaded Russell's space. I don't blame him for being upset, especially given the situation.

This is not the same as putting your hand out for a high 5. You can see this guy laughing and taking pleasure in Russell's failure. Not the same as being a fan and wanting a video or a high 5.

Also, another guy in the same area was talking trash as they walked to halftime.

One of the sideline reporter said all the fan said at halftime was "hey Russ, how's your ankles?". Such harsh heckling from that fan. How can he say something like that to Russ? So ****** up huh?
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#258 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:30 am

Rednation91 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:Image

This is not respectful behavior. You don't stick your arm out to within 2 feet of a player's face when they are walking by.

The guy invaded Russell's space. I don't blame him for being upset, especially given the situation.

This is not the same as putting your hand out for a high 5. You can see this guy laughing and taking pleasure in Russell's failure. Not the same as being a fan and wanting a video or a high 5.

Also, another guy in the same area was talking trash as they walked to halftime.

One of the sideline reporter said all the fan said at halftime was "hey Russ, how's your ankles?". Such harsh heckling from that fan. How can he say something like that to Russ? So ****** up huh?

Do you see any sideline reporters within earshot of this? I don't see any. So who was their source? The fan? I'm sure they were honest in their re-telling.

Q C
Rookie
And1: 1,558

Post#259 » by Q C » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 am

Listening to people in this thread it sounds like the fan should have been able to slap Westbrook in the face for yelling at him like that. Muh disrespect
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#260 » by dautjazz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:58 am

WB is a bitch, they did the same to Mitchell after the game 5 loss, this is how he handled it...

NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to The General Board