Shai Gilgeous-Alexander showing improved pull up shot

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,944

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander showing improved range 

Post#61 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 pm

S G-A is going to be really, really good and he should be starting. If Rivers doesn't give him 30+ mpg, Rivers ought to be fired. If fact, I have no idea why Rivers is still coaching the Clippers after his complete botch of things. Giving that big contract to his son was just horrible.

Steve Ballmer was smart enough to hire Jerry West. I'm not sure why he isn't smart enough to fire Rivers.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,935

Post#62 » by Capn'O » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:If he's a threat to pull up that makes him so dangerous. Like Stockton (see what I did there :lol: ) SGA knows the art of slithering to the rim to get more easy looks than you'd think he could with his athleticism. So much deception and change of speed. There hasn't been a level where they could stop him from doing that yet.

Luigi wrote:Realistically, how many minutes per game is he gonna get?

There's some noise that he could start either immediately or early.

He reminds me of Andre Miller in the sense where... he's supposed to be slowish... yet he can get by the defender at will without much problem. James Harden is the king of this, where his speed isn't all that great, but his ability to DECELERATE, change direction or slither through people is next level.

I would LOVE if he could just become a poor man's Gary Payton. Something like 18/7/5/2.5 spg and ability to guard 1-3 would be awesome for his prime. This year maybe something like 12/5/4/1.5 or something (assuming big enough minutes). I can't get a read on his upside though, who knows. I can't help but feel it might be underestimated. Most feel he has a high floor, low ceiling. I'm not so sure his ceiling is particularly low.

Yeah, Miller is the comp he usually gets. It's so hard to call a player like that because even when you feel like "ok, this guy is gonna continue to get by people at will" it's so hard to call it with his first step speed. Also, players with that sneak blowby are usually not tall and lean. If there's a prototype for him, I'm not finding it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,798

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:Those double last name guys just don't pan out. Carter-Williams, Kidd-Gilchrist, Caldwell-Pope, Cauley-Stein etc.
I don't remember one star with double last name.

MKG and WCS added their second last name themselves. MKG was originally Michael Gilchrist, WCS was originally Willie Cauley.

ellobo wrote:I hope this is facetious.

Spoiler:
Abdul-Jabbar

Not his original name though. There's only one All-Star that was born with an hyphenated name, Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Those muslim names don't count in my book. I'm talking about strictly american. For reason those guys don't do too great.

Maybe all those letters on the back of their jersey slow them down
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,227

Post#64 » by niQ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 pm

lebron stopper wrote:How good is his defense? Any time I think of SGA I also think of Delon Wright who has some seriously incredible defensive instincts and anticipation for a guard.

Not 100% sure but is that Delon Wright guarding him at the 0:01 to 0:03 mark?
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,320

Post#65 » by r0drig0lac » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:48 pm

he, Trae and Knox are the best players in the draft imo
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#66 » by Goner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:Those muslim names don't count in my book. I'm talking about strictly american. For reason those guys don't do too great.

This is the strangest application of logic I've ever encountered. It's like saying that Coke tastes better than Pepsi not because of its taste, but because soft drinks that start with 'C' tend to be better than soft drinks that start with 'P'.

Maybe what you are noticing is a result of NBA players with hyphenated names being a small subset of the total and therefore less likely, through sheer volume, to become stars? I could just as easily say "players with the last name "Tskishvili" tend not to pan out."
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,754

Post#67 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Capn'O wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:If he's a threat to pull up that makes him so dangerous. Like Stockton (see what I did there :lol: ) SGA knows the art of slithering to the rim to get more easy looks than you'd think he could with his athleticism. So much deception and change of speed. There hasn't been a level where they could stop him from doing that yet.

He reminds me of Andre Miller in the sense where... he's supposed to be slowish... yet he can get by the defender at will without much problem. James Harden is the king of this, where his speed isn't all that great, but his ability to DECELERATE, change direction or slither through people is next level.

I would LOVE if he could just become a poor man's Gary Payton. Something like 18/7/5/2.5 spg and ability to guard 1-3 would be awesome for his prime. This year maybe something like 12/5/4/1.5 or something (assuming big enough minutes). I can't get a read on his upside though, who knows. I can't help but feel it might be underestimated. Most feel he has a high floor, low ceiling. I'm not so sure his ceiling is particularly low.

Yeah, Miller is the comp he usually gets. It's so hard to call a player like that because even when you feel like "ok, this guy is gonna continue to get by people at will" it's so hard to call it with his first step speed. Also, players with that sneak blowby are usually not tall and lean. If there's a prototype for him, I'm not finding it.

I hope he grows another inch taller to 6'7, gains some weight. That 7 foot wingspan, big/quick hands is gonna cause problems. On offense he's gonna be the KD of PG's where he can simply pull up and shoot over every PG without any issue due to that size. I hope he's working on the pull up+shot off screens.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander showing improved pull up shot 

Post#68 » by NoZoLakers » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 pm

stated in "draft forums" that Cha would regret that trade and its certainly turning out that way early, SGA looks good while Bridges shooting weakness is already showing up. They had walker but walker is not really PG, just a small combo guard, SGA would've worked next to Walker as the bigger combo guard. Cha didn't need the 2nd pick considering they ended up getting like 6 more or so since all those wheeling/dealing nor did they need Bridges, already have questionnable shooting forwards.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,358

Post#69 » by og15 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:48 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Luigi wrote:Realistically, how many minutes per game is he gonna get?

I like the Dre comp in terms of getting where he wants, but the Harden one though, not so much. Harden's first step is ridiculously fast, he doesn't play a speed / athleticism style where he's going full speed so much, but he is very athletic, sort of like Brandon Roy. They use their skill to beat you, but the athleticism is always showing through more subtly, or here and there in an explosive manner.

Dre Miller though was actually just not that athletic for the NBA level at PG, but he knew how to get where he wanted to, and his lateral was good.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#70 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 pm

og15 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

I like the Dre comp in terms of getting where he wants, but the Harden one though, not so much. Harden's first step is ridiculously fast, he doesn't play a speed / athleticism style where he's going full speed so much, but he is very athletic, sort of like Brandon Roy. They use their skill to beat you, but the athleticism is always showing through more subtly, or here and there in an explosive manner.

Dre Miller though was actually just not that athletic for the NBA level at PG, but he knew how to get where he wanted to, and his lateral was good.

Harden has an amazing first step, but in terms of overall speed/quickness he's not particularly fast compared to his peers. I feel like when he's driving his shiftiness, change of direction and fluid body movements are way more important than the initial first step. Although I'm not comparing SGA athletically, just explaining one attribute.

Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#71 » by Pass_the_rock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
MKG and WCS added their second last name themselves. MKG was originally Michael Gilchrist, WCS was originally Willie Cauley.

Not his original name though. There's only one All-Star that was born with an hyphenated name, Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Those muslim names don't count in my book. I'm talking about strictly american. For reason those guys don't do too great.

I guess it's a good thing shai isnt American then.

What? What is he? Canadian? and with dual last name, that's a bust sentence right there.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#72 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:31 am

Goner wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:Those muslim names don't count in my book. I'm talking about strictly american. For reason those guys don't do too great.

This is the strangest application of logic I've ever encountered. It's like saying that Coke tastes better than Pepsi not because of its taste, but because soft drinks that start with 'C' tend to be better than soft drinks that start with 'P'.

Maybe what you are noticing is a result of NBA players with hyphenated names being a small subset of the total and therefore less likely, through sheer volume, to become stars? I could just as easily say "players with the last name "Tskishvili" tend not to pan out."

Lmao

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,111
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#73 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:35 am

I hate offseason hype threads.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#74 » by ratul » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:12 am

Like his game and he's Canadian so definitely rooting for him
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#75 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:49 pm

New video of him balling out at the same place. PS... these are ONLY NBA players and it's by invite only. The pickup footage you guys may of seen with CP3+Harden vs Wade was a few hours after in this same gym. You'll notice many of the same players. This Swishcultures guy has been watching all of the runs and seems to think the Clippers have a legit star. Excited for the season!

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,405

Post#76 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm

He seems to have a long neck.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#77 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:57 pm

https://www.instagram.com/chrisjohnsonhoops/?hl=en

He may have videos of your favorite young player here. I guess he's an NBA trainer hosting these pickup games. Melo+CP3 are here too. So is D Wade, Noah, Taj Gibson, Boban, WCS and many more. Bunch of vets mixed with rookies and 2nd year players. Iman Shumpert and Corey Brewer even showed out lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#78 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:He seems to have a long neck.

He somehow looks like he LOST weight since last month. Kid needs 15 lbs of muscle bad. He needs the Giannis diet.

Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,485

Post#79 » by Saints14 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Idk man, I'm all for guys shorts going back above their knees but that's a little much
-Spyda-
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#80 » by -Spyda- » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Good luck to him

Return to The General Board