Sacramento Kings reportedly passed on Luka Doncic because GM Vlade Divac didn’t like his dad

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DLoMor
Junior
And1: 497

Re: Sacramento Kings reportedly passed on Luka Doncic because GM Vlade Divac didn’t like his dad 

Post#121 » by DLoMor » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:35 am

jkvonny wrote:Is this true??

Damn, Sacramento, Vlade!
Bagley?

Well, hindsight is 20/20.

Did you post this today because of this? Happened today.

jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,895

Re: Sacramento Kings reportedly passed on Luka Doncic because GM Vlade Divac didn’t like his dad 

Post#122 » by jkvonny » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:40 am

DLoMor wrote:

Damn, Sacramento, Vlade!
Bagley?

Wow! :o

Lol.

Damn.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,003

Post#123 » by zimpy27 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:03 am

Has to be the worst GM of all time right?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
BruttoNostra
Senior
And1: 1,205

Post#124 » by BruttoNostra » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:15 am

DLoMor wrote:

Damn, Sacramento, Vlade!
Bagley?

Looks like Luka is ready for playoffs trash talk wise.
Teams should avoid Mavs in the 1st round more than any other opponent.
Vita sine libertāte, nihil
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,253

Post#125 » by SNPA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:48 am

zimpy27 wrote:Has to be the worst GM of all time right?

Lol.

He left Fox, Barnes and Bogi on good contracts, a good overall cap and all their picks.

The current playoff level team starts Fox, Barnes and until recently Huerter…who is a worse player than Bogi, who McNair let walk for nothing. Huerter cost Sac a first to acquire.
mako
Junior
And1: 328

Post#126 » by mako » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 am

I wouldn't say one move defines a GM especially when it comes to drafting since it's such a crap shoot sometimes, but it's up there with one of the worst draft pass ups of all time. I'd put it a notch below joe dumars passing up on melo, wade, and bosh for darko milicic.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,895

Post#127 » by jkvonny » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm

jkvonny wrote:
DLoMor wrote:

Damn, Sacramento, Vlade!
Bagley?

Wow! :o

Lol.

Damn.

Also. Before i knew of this youtube video. Last nite after the game ended, seen on Twitter about Vlade not liking Luka's dad ? Thats he was passed up on draft for Bagley? So I did search on google , somehow this old thread came up as an option. :lol:

So I Selected it.
And skim read the thread a bit.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,778

Post#129 » by BoogieTime » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:18 pm

SNPA wrote:

Lol.

He left Fox, Barnes and Bogi on good contracts, a good overall cap and all their picks.

The current playoff level team starts Fox, Barnes and until recently Huerter…who is a worse player than Bogi, who McNair let walk for nothing. Huerter cost Sac a first to acquire.

Really? defending Divac and going at McNair? Bogi is a player who doesn't move the needle as is Barnes (Kings were overflowing guards). Not sure how much credit he should be given for Fox at 5 in that particular draft.

Yes, Divac was a terrible, terrible GM
SNPA
General Manager

Post#130 » by SNPA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Lol.

Really? defending Divac and going at McNair? Bogi is a player who doesn't move the needle as is Barnes (Kings were overflowing guards). Not sure how much credit he should be given for Fox at 5 in that particular draft.

Yes, Divac was a terrible, terrible GM

McNair has won. Vlade didn’t.

But…this idea that Vlade was the worse GM ever is totally hyperbolic. As I just proved. If a GM is so awful then then next guy must be inheriting a mess with little/no assets.

When McNair started he had about as good of an asset situation as a new GM could hope for.

-Young future all star/all NBA, top ten scorer. Check.
-Two playoff caliber wings in early-mid prime. Check.
-No albatross contracts, trade pieces and solid cap. Check.
-All your own picks and a bunch of seconds. Check.

That’s the seeds of this team. It was 3/5 of the starting lineup and McNair burned a first to down grade one position (Bogi > Huerter that’s not really a debate).

The other two starting slots on this play off team were acquired how? The draft assets Vlade left…that’s where all that value comes from.

I’m not a big fan of discounting who someone drafted because it was the obvious choice like you did with Fox/Vlade. That’s a non winnable game. I could deny McNair credit for having Hali fall in his lap at 13, but I don’t. Each guy gets credit. And McNair has used that plethora of extra seconds he inherited to get deals done.

Hell…I can go further…the blue print of this current team also includes a key role for an microwave scoring guard in Monk (scorer) and Vlade had that role mapped out too in Buddy (shooter). I think Len was even on the Vlade team.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,534

Post#131 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:51 pm

Travis Schlenk loving all of this noise right now.

What Luka did last night was fine, but fans hating on an executive who selects someone else over someone who turns out to be a superstar is silly and often a rewrite of history. Bagley was just about the consensus 2nd best player in that draft. It wasn't some horrible pick at the time. I know some will say they knew Luka would be much better, and I believe them, but most people associated with the NBA did not. I'm willing to bet a strong majority of teams would have done the same thing with the #2 pick that draft.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,468

Post#132 » by Saints14 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:08 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Travis Schlenk loving all of this noise right now.

What Luka did last night was fine, but fans hating on an executive who selects someone else over someone who turns out to be a superstar is silly and often a rewrite of history. Bagley was just about the consensus 2nd best player in that draft. It wasn't some horrible pick at the time. I know some will say they knew Luka would be much better, and I believe them, but most people associated with the NBA did not. I'm willing to bet a strong majority of teams would have done the same thing with the #2 pick that draft.

No it was pretty bad at the time. Most people on draft Twitter at least were also confused that the Suns passed on Luka
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,534

Post#133 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:20 pm

Saints14 wrote:

No it was pretty bad at the time. Most people on draft Twitter at least were also confused that the Suns passed on Luka

Well I'm talking about people actually in and associated with the NBA, not random fans on Twitter.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#134 » by leolozon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:20 pm

No he wasn’t. The problem with mock drafts is that they are about predicting who is going to get picked where, not who is a better prospect. Bagley was 2nd on mock drafts, because people knew that the Kings were picking him second.

Just look at the 3 guys on the Ringer. They all had Bagley around 5 or 6 as a prospect and all had Luka #1. Givony also had Bagley 5th. Yet, all their mock drafts had Bagley 2nd, because the Kings were picking him 2nd. It was a bad pick all along. He was a tweener with no jump shot and therefore no real position. A lot of experts (probably most) had Luka 1st.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/2018/

Just go to analyst’s ranking instead of mock draft and you’ll see.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,570

Post#135 » by Bob8 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 pm

The most baffling thing is that Bagley's only elite skill was ridiculous second jump, whatever that means. :lol:
Who's drafting someone as 2nd because of his second jump? Only Divac.

Divac knowing Euroleague and knowing how extremely rare is to be MVP in Euroleague with 18 years, no one before was, makes his decision even more stupid. To be honest, he never looked as particularly smart person.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#136 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:07 pm

SNPA wrote:

Lol.

Vlade's draft history as a GM is very poor, especially since they were all lottery picks.

2015: Willie-Caulie Stein with 6th overall (bad pick)
2016: Georgios Papagiannis (all-time bad pick)
2017: De'Aaron Fox 5th overall (good pick)
2018: Marvin Bagley 2nd overall (bad pick)
2019: no pick

Because Sacramento is a smaller market team, they have to hit on their draft picks.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#137 » by SNPA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:14 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Lol.

Vlade's draft history as a GM is very poor, especially since they were all lottery picks.

2015: Willie-Caulie Stein with 6th overall (bad pick)

Because Sacramento is a smaller market team, they have to hit on their draft picks.

True.

But let’s go through them…

WCS was after he was in charge a couple weeks. No time to prepare. And a Center.
PapaG comes out of now where, although Detroit was interested. He is a Center.

Why is Vlade, with Cousins as the star he inherited, drafting two centers with his first two picks? I believe it’s because he knew right away Cousins wasn’t going to be his guy long term.

Then Fox. Win.

Then Bagley. Massive fail.

Valse made two catastrophic mistakes (the Philly trade was just a bad trade, not catastrophic). First, Luka. Second, Walton. Those are both fireable offenses.

All Vlade had to do was select Luka. Then he has Fox/Luka/Bogi/Buddy and the Kings are playoff bound and people think he is a genius who turned the Kings around. He missed it by literally one pick.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,676

Post#138 » by Swish1906 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 pm

I thought I read they also didn’t want Luka because they thought it was a bad fit with Fox

Yeah Luka for sure can’t play together with another good PG :lol:
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,261

Post#139 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Lol.

[b]2015: Willie-Caulie Stein with 6th overall (bad pick)

That isn't bad considering what players were left in the draft. Like you got Booker at 13 I think, but plenty of teams skipped on them. Fans have very little knowledge of who is good at drafting.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#140 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:34 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:
SNPA wrote:Lol.

[b]2015: Willie-Caulie Stein with 6th overall (bad pick)

That isn't bad considering what players were left in the draft. Like you got Booker at 13 I think, but plenty of teams skipped on them. Fans have very little knowledge of who is good at drafting.

I think that's an acceptable reason for WCS. Mock drafts had him top 10.

but no mock draft had Georgios Papagiannis in the first round. He would've easily been available for them later.

Return to The General Board