Did Kawhi make a foolish decision getting the Clippers to trade SGA?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,733

Re: Did Kawhi make a foolish decision getting the Clippers to trade SGA? 

Post#201 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Kawhi isn't dumb. PG was in his prime and was on the same timeline as Kawhi. The trade made perfect sense.

Most people knew that SGA was talented and a potential star. His ascension just happened sooner than expected

Same timeline of what exactly? PG since many years prior in Indiana was a first round choke artist. A frontrunner for years. Injury prone as well. I suppose in terms of being hurt at the same time they were on the same timeline. I get Kawhi is only thinking about tomorrow and not a 5-10 year run on the team, but from a team or fan standpoint you cannot buy championships. It doesn’t work.

Not true. He was a star and made multiple deep playoffs runs. If it wasn't for prime lebron, he would have made the finals. He is almost the same age as Kawhi. You want players to peak at the same age to maximize your opportunities.

Re-read that. Since years prior when he was in Indiana I said. In OKC he was coming off a 1st round exit. The B2B ECF where Lebron beat him was literally 7 years prior.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 737

Post#202 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:He made the wrong decision in hindsight, but he wasn't going to join the little brothers of the Lakers in L.A. without another star. SGA was not a star then he was coming off his rookie season where he averaged 10 ppg.

Which again, makes Kawhi dumb. Now he’s about to be 0-5 on title runs anyway, let alone zero finals runs.. while OKC has a legit shot to go WCF or finals.

Makes everyone dumb. No one expected Shai this good this soon. Even Sam Presti' wildest dreams wasn't close to this, otherwise he wouldn't hold to get every possible future picks from Clippers, Presti like everyone didn't view SGA as future MVP on this league.

I loved SGA on his rookie season for my clippers, projected him to be like Jrue Holiday career tbh. He beats every projection luckily for OKC.

Many bad things could ve been sad to Kawhi, but I don't hold this missed projection on him where ever pro. scout missed.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 459

Post#203 » by Ssj16 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:He made the wrong decision in hindsight, but he wasn't going to join the little brothers of the Lakers in L.A. without another star. SGA was not a star then he was coming off his rookie season where he averaged 10 ppg.

Which again, makes Kawhi dumb. Now he’s about to be 0-5 on title runs anyway, let alone zero finals runs.. while OKC has a legit shot to go WCF or finals.

I'm bitter about Kawhi leaving the Raptors after winning a chip to go to the Clippers, but the decision to get PG for Shai in no way makes the Clippers or Kawhi dumb. You may be one of the few people along with Presti to predict that Shai would be this good but it doesn't make everyone else dumb.

That would be like saying 29 teams are dumb for not picking Jokic before he got to 41. That's not how it works.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,661

Post#204 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am

Kawhi wanted to play with a friend.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#205 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:47 am

No one knew Shai would be this good, maybe even including him. He didn't have that great of a first couple years. Future superstars almost always look like superstars in their 2nd and 3rd years, and he looked more like a future all-star than a superstar.
JLM
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#206 » by JLM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Lol hell no...PG was just a top 3 MVP Candidate, call me when Shai sniffs that level.

Your number please?
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,105

Post#207 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm

No the reason the clippers haven’t won is kawhis own injuries and nothing else. They had a great chance to win in 21 and 22 if bro was healthy .
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,563

Post#208 » by ropjhk » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:48 pm

Kawhi made all the wrong decisions that summer.

Return to The General Board