OKC is a disgrace

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,402

Re: OKC is a disgrace 

Post#621 » by baldur » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:58 am

Okc was very undecided to this final week actually. If Washington, Portland, Utah and Indiana didn't decide to tank two weeks ago, okc would have had 40 percent of chances of landing a top 4 pick.

So okc was just the better of the worst.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,235

Post#622 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:02 am

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
This thread was from 2021. There was definitely no Mavs with Luka/Kyrie around the Thunder in 2021.

I had about a bakers dozen threads I could have bumped. When shai missed a few games after all star break, people once again lost their minds. It’s been going on since okc traded George and Westbrook and it was just a bunch of idiotic takes from day one.

Why not bump one about 2022-23 then? Even the more recently posts in this thread are still discussing the Thunder from the time frame the original post is referencing.

Because it was a trash take from the start.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#623 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:04 am

baldur wrote:Okc was very undecided to this final week actually. If Washington, Portland, Utah and Indiana didn't decide to tank two weeks ago, okc would have had 40 percent of chances of landing a top 4 pick.

Except for outperforming their projected win total, having the second best rookie in the league despite missing Chet and not being a disgrace to the league, you have a valid point. :wink:
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,538

Post#624 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:14 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I had about a bakers dozen threads I could have bumped. When shai missed a few games after all star break, people once again lost their minds. It’s been going on since okc traded George and Westbrook and it was just a bunch of idiotic takes from day one.

Why not bump one about 2022-23 then? Even the more recently posts in this thread are still discussing the Thunder from the time frame the original post is referencing.

Because it was a trash take from the start.

This thread has always been two sides talking past each other

One side saying benching Horford and other players was anti-competitive and bad for viewers

And another side saying benching Horford and other players was smart to get a better draft pick and other teams (Philly most famously) employed the same strategy of playing gleaguers over vets, so why should OKC be criticized.

Of course, neither of these points contradict the first side. So I guess both sides are right. Yay.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Post#625 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:17 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:LMAO @ OKC fans flexing about making the play-in tourney as a 10th seed that's below .500 and only squeaked in because other teams chose lottery odds over losing a play-in game on the road...
Y'all made it! Pop that Korbel you've been saving!!!
Lol exactly my thoughts.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#626 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:17 am

Bottom line is okc has been given a lot of undeserved slander that should have been directed towards other teams like Houston or Detroit. For the record, I don’t have any problems with teams tanking including the aforementioned teams. For people that threw multiple tantrums over tanking about okc, the reality is they picked the wrong team to attack. This rebuild has been quick and okc still has multiple ways to build on a bright future. They’ll probably lose to New Orleans and could be hit with injuries. I’m not saying okc is a sure thing but the bottom line is okc isn’t a disgrace. I’m not going to respond to any casuals about the premise of me bumping this thread. There is a difference between people that want to troll and those that want to understand what’s happening before the masses. catch on.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,553

Post#627 » by Revived » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:11 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Revived wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Hey.

Thunder still haven’t made playoffs though so that guy isn’t wrong. They made the play-in.

So you think SGA is wasting away? Do you want to double down with him on the rockets making the playoffs before okc?

I don’t know if he’s wasting away or not but this isn’t the “gotcha” moment you think it is when your team is still not playoff team after what feels like 20 years of rebuilding and tanking. I don’t know when the Rockets will be good so no I don’t have anything to say about them.

You should’ve waited till OKC actually earns a playoff spot and then bumped this, then you would’ve got your due. Otherwise as you can see from all the other posters responding here as well, your bump just looks silly.
ThunderScot
Sophomore
And1: 206

Post#628 » by ThunderScot » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:51 am

Revived wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Revived wrote:Thunder still haven’t made playoffs though so that guy isn’t wrong. They made the play-in.

So you think SGA is wasting away? Do you want to double down with him on the rockets making the playoffs before okc?

I don’t know if he’s wasting away or not but this isn’t the “gotcha” moment you think it is when your team is still not playoff team after what feels like 20 years of rebuilding and tanking. I don’t know when the Rockets will be good so no I don’t have anything to say about them.

You should’ve waited till OKC actually earns a playoff spot and then bumped this, then you would’ve got your due. Otherwise as you can see from all the other posters responding here as well, your bump just looks silly.

When you have people talking about the Thunder, after only two years of sucking, like we were Hinkie's 76ers, I think the bump is fully justified.
It was a ridiculous take then and looks more so now. They may not have made the play-offs outright, but they have more than shown that they don't belong in the same bracket as the detritus of the league.

It's not just folk on here though. John Hollinger (self-proclaimed font of all NBA knowledge), predicted the Thunder for 20 wins this season. The Thunder rarely get the respect they deserve given how successful they have been since moving from Seattle.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,899

Post#629 » by Memories » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:59 am

I can’t wait for the yearly “x team” is a disgrace thread next year.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#630 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 am

Revived wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Revived wrote:Thunder still haven’t made playoffs though so that guy isn’t wrong. They made the play-in.

“For what feels like”.Let’s not let facts get in the way of feelings. And yes, there are non thunder fans that agree with me. We call them, non-trolls.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,402

Post#631 » by baldur » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:18 am

Memories wrote:I can’t wait for the yearly “x team” is a disgrace thread next year.

It's alright. I'll take care of it.
OKC2008
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#632 » by OKC2008 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:48 pm

40 wins for the Thunder this season, making it 12 out of 15 seasons OKC has had at least 40

12 positive seasons out of 15 total seasons in Oklahoma City and we have to read “OKC is a disgrace”
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,478

Post#633 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:24 pm

baldur wrote:Okc was very undecided to this final week actually. If Washington, Portland, Utah and Indiana didn't decide to tank two weeks ago, okc would have had 40 percent of chances of landing a top 4 pick.

OKC played better than their record all year. They were the 7th best team in the West by net rating, point differential, SRS. So despite the record not being amazing (who's in the West really was?) this team was pretty good, both on offense and defense. Most people who watched more than a couple OKC games this year fell in love with their drive and kick offense, multi-ball handler attack, and physical intensity.

The Wizards, Blazers, Jazz, and Pacers had negative point differentials for most of the year. OKC had a lot more work to do than those teams if they really wanted to be bad. What's really the point in pointing to teams that were objectively worse than the Thunder in terms of record and net rating, deciding to tank. Had all those teams competed to the last, OKC still would have won out because... they were actually a good basketball team this year.

OKC, by the numbers, came much closer to finishing with home-court advantage than they did from getting into good lottery position. They finished 5 games behind the 4-seed Suns, 7 games ahead of the Blazers, and 13 games out of getting into the bottom 4.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,478

Post#634 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:34 pm

Revived wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Big disagree. The amount of histrionic whining fans made about the Thunder tanking for what amounted to only 2 years of being bad, is embarrassing. You're still going! WHat feels like 20 years!

They had 2 bad seasons. 2!!!!!! Recently enough we've seen:
- The Wolves with 8 losing seasons, then 1 okay season, then 3 joke seasons, then 1 first round appearance, then 3 more joke seasons. And we were trying to win that whole time.
- The Lakers tanked for 5 seasons between Kobe and Lebron.
- 16 joke seasons of KANGZ.
- 4 seasons of the Process Sixers.

The Thunder don't belong on this list. Super quick turnaround to their new core of Shai, Jalen, Giddey, and probably Chet. 2 years, yet people whined because it "feels like 20".
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Post#635 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:30 pm

OKC2008 wrote: 40 wins for the Thunder this season, making it 12 out of 15 seasons OKC has had at least 40

12 positive seasons out of 15 total seasons in Oklahoma City and we have to read “OKC is a disgrace”
One of these is not like the others.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#636 » by C3H6N6O6 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:06 pm

This is why you tank from beginning of the season.
OKC fans can say that SGA was hurt in previous seasons and you can't prove them wrong even though even OKC fans know that excuse if total BS.
You don't have tank for multiple seasons like 76ers to be called a disgrace.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,405

Post#637 » by RunOKC » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:27 pm

OKC tanked the back half of the 21/22 seasons and had people thinking we've been tanking for "what feels like 20 years" :lol:

Some people will run with anything the media throws at them I guess
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#638 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I mean they also picked up like 15 first round draft picks, which must feel somewhat good.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#639 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,471

Post#640 » by Patches Perry » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:04 pm

This thread is a fun read. Puts a lot of the OKC comments you see around here in context.

Return to The General Board