What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,415

Re: What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years? 

Post#161 » by Mr Loggins » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:41 pm

this current roster? They look like a 15 win team to me this year. in 2 years maybe 35 wins?

SGA is a keeper but who’s #2. Dort?
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#162 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:45 pm

i doubt you will get many people agreeing with you on here it, most people on here think Giddey sucks
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#163 » by Crizzle » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Definitely going to be better than Memphis in the next couple years. Because Memphis has no picks left. They traded up to try to get Giddey and got stuck with Zaire. This is why the deep rebuild is better. And MEM already had a ton of tank picks before this.

we own all our future firsts and have two additional first rounders next year? :crazy:

also a future first coming from the warriors in 24 i believe

I have to assume he meant picks likely to net a needle mover. I love Ja, and love the MEM young role players, but my fear for them has always been that they get good but not great too quickly due to how talented Morant is and end up in a position where they cant improve the roster to get him a true sidekick (I think JJJ is a utility #3 who inherently lacks the aggression to ever be a #2).

As great as Ja is playing, and as deep as MEM is (Not just deep, young depth), they still need to find a way to get another top 40-50 player to get into contention. That may come in FA, but its always tough in small markets. But its almost certainly not coming via the draft at this point.

I might be drinking the kool aid, but IMO, JJJ is going to be a monster. Coming back from his injury and being thrown into the lineup of a team competing for the playoffs last year, the team is adjusting him being integrated back into the system. Because of this he hasnt been getting the touches. Coaching have to run more stuff for him, especially touches in the paint. When he gets the ball i dont think he has any kind of hesitancy . His biggest hindrance has always been fouling. He seems to have cleaned it up to start the season . And lets remember, the kid is younger than Ja. He has one of the highest ceilings in the league
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#164 » by namlede » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 pm

with this current roster, probably a play in team. but add in next years top pick who knows.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,760

Post#165 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 pm

Crizzle wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
we own all our future firsts and have two additional first rounders next year? :crazy:

also a future first coming from the warriors in 24 i believe

I have to assume he meant picks likely to net a needle mover. I love Ja, and love the MEM young role players, but my fear for them has always been that they get good but not great too quickly due to how talented Morant is and end up in a position where they cant improve the roster to get him a true sidekick (I think JJJ is a utility #3 who inherently lacks the aggression to ever be a #2).

As great as Ja is playing, and as deep as MEM is (Not just deep, young depth), they still need to find a way to get another top 40-50 player to get into contention. That may come in FA, but its always tough in small markets. But its almost certainly not coming via the draft at this point.

I might be drinking the kool aid, but IMO, JJJ is going to be a monster. Coming back from his injury and being thrown into the lineup of a team competing for the playoffs last year, the team is adjusting him being integrated back into the system. Because of this he hasnt been getting the touches. Coaching have to run more stuff for him, especially touches in the paint. When he gets the ball i dont think he has any kind of hesitancy . His biggest hindrance has always been fouling. He seems to have cleaned it up to start the season . And lets remember, the kid is younger than Ja. He has one of the highest ceilings in the league

Forgive people for moving on a bit from JJJ for now. People hyped this guy as a Hakeem Olajuwon/KG type prospect his rookie year... so when he was constantly injured in recent years people forgot about him. He’s really talented but not the lock for tier 1 superstar many expected based on his rookie year.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#166 » by Crizzle » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:52 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Forgive people for moving on a bit from JJJ for now. People hyped this guy as a Hakeem Olajuwon/KG type prospect his rookie year... so when he was constantly injured in recent years people forgot about him. He’s really talented but not the lock for tier 1 superstar many expected based on his rookie year.

People blow his rookie season out of proportion to the fvkcing extreme. He had a bone bruise. We were tanking so they held him out after the ASB. And thankfully they did because however the cards fell, we landed Ja. But he absolutely could have been playing. As for the meniscus, the team was extremely cautious on bringing him back last year because they are playing the long game. Same reason why we didnt go out and sign a vets this off season. We obviously are not tanking because these kids are already too dam good. If we make the playoffs, hell , even suprisingly win a series, thats cool. But player development is the main priority right now. And we have been knocking our picks out of the park. Because of that, im trusting the FO with the ZW pick.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,760

Post#167 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:18 am

Crizzle wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

People blow his rookie season out of proportion to the fvkcing extreme. He had a bone bruise. We were tanking so they held him out after the ASB. And thankfully they did because however the cards fell, we landed Ja. But he absolutely could have been playing. As for the meniscus, the team was extremely cautious on bringing him back last year because they are playing the long game. Same reason why we didnt go out and sign a vets this off season. We obviously are not tanking because these kids are already too dam good. If we make the playoffs, hell , even suprisingly win a series, thats cool. But player development is the main priority right now. And we have been knocking our picks out of the park. Because of that, im trusting the FO with the ZW pick.

The Grizzlies draft really well, no doubt. I still don't think JJJ is better than a good #3 option at the end of the day. So the Grizzlies find themselves in that dreaded treadmill position. Too good to tank or suck, but not good enough to be a top 4 team in a conference or seriously contend for a ring. They either need another legit perennial all star/superstar... or Morant needs to become a top 5 player in the league. He's been hot early on, but obviously I don't expect him to maintain at this level.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#168 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:00 am

Contenders in 2 or 3 years? Even if they had the #1 pick the next two years it takes time for players to develop. Unless OKC is thinking of packaging first round picks for stars they aren't making the playoffs for a while, forget being contenders. Drafting like 3 first round picks every year isnt really that good a thing, you need to open roster spots and give minutes to these kids to develop, 4 years in your roster consists of a dozen 24 and under players basically. Boston tried stockpiling picks and not trading them, it didn't work, and most of the picks OKC will be mid to late first round, so I'd be bundling picks and going for proven talent.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
DudetheObscure
Junior
And1: 537

Post#169 » by DudetheObscure » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 am

wolves_fan_82au wrote:i doubt you will get many people agreeing with you on here it, most people on here think Giddey sucks

Not sure what you've been reading. In the rookie thread he's been getting lots of love and every national guy I've heard is very impressed with him. I've watched every Thunder game with the opposing team's announcers and they've all been very complimentary. 18 10 2 against the Lakers tonight is pretty good for someone who just turned 19.
Thomas Hardy abides
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#170 » by wolves_fan_82au » Tue Nov 2, 2021 12:53 am

DudetheObscure wrote:
wolves_fan_82au wrote:i doubt you will get many people agreeing with you on here it, most people on here think Giddey sucks

Not sure what you've been reading. In the rookie thread he's been getting lots of love and every national guy I've heard is very impressed with him. I've watched every Thunder game with the opposing team's announcers and they've all been very complimentary. 18 10 2 against the Lakers tonight is pretty good for someone who just turned 19.

when he got drafted most people hated the pick, i have no idea why if people actually saw him play they would of realized he had massive potential
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,193

Post#171 » by Mickey8 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:00 pm

The coach Diagonal should unleash Pokuman , there is no way Bazley should start over him , they should to use this season to play him and Giddey as much as possible together, Bazley is odd man out , I don't see much potential in him, they should try to trade him for another draft pick.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,952

Post#172 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:20 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:
DudetheObscure wrote:

when he got drafted most people hated the pick, i have no idea why if people actually saw him play they would of realized he had massive potential

I think those that have seen him play have changed their tune. Most were high on Giddey and his draft stock rose steadily but nobody was higher on him than OKC. Looks like they might have been right.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,990

Post#173 » by Richard4444 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 6:01 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:

The Grizzlies draft really well, no doubt. I still don't think JJJ is better than a good #3 option at the end of the day. So the Grizzlies find themselves in that dreaded treadmill position. Too good to tank or suck, but not good enough to be a top 4 team in a conference or seriously contend for a ring. They either need another legit perennial all star/superstar... or Morant needs to become a top 5 player in the league. He's been hot early on, but obviously I don't expect him to maintain at this level.

I would not use the term treadmill to qualify a young talented team with 6 FRP in the next 3 years. The young players will develop. And there are a lot of assets to trade for vets.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#174 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 2, 2021 6:11 pm

Mickey8 wrote:The coach Diagonal should unleash Pokuman , there is no way Bazley should start over him , they should to use this season to play him and Giddey as much as possible together, Bazley is odd man out , I don't see much potential in him, they should try to trade him for another draft pick.

There really is no reason he should be starting above Poku. The Pokuman is actually posting better advbanced metrics across the board this year. He will make some stupid decisions and is a TO machine, but he is playing better than Bazely and has much more long term potential IMO. No justification to have Darius playing twice the minutes.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 566

Post#175 » by bbms » Tue Nov 2, 2021 6:58 pm

It'll come down to whether the Thunder can get a frontcourt player that helps them establish the pick and roll/pop on both ends.

An elite roll/pop threat can allow SGA/Giddey to be free on offense. I think once SGA and Giddey have that frontcourt guy to take defensive pressure away from them, this offense will become highly functional and maybe a winning offense, even without great outside shooting.

On the other side, add some bodyguard to pair with Dort on defensive pick and roll, and this defense can start applying extremely high pressure on opposing ball handlers. This defense is already great at not conceding FTs and is around average on forcing turnovers even with so many inexperienced and/or flat-out bad players around Dort.

This team could be already making waves if we had a guy like Evan Mobley, Domantas Sabonis, or John Collins, and shortening the rotations to take out some of the most extreme negative impact young players.

Once they establish that pick and roll/pop on both ends, they can easily flip assets to acquire vets and complete a playoffs transition in one or two seasons.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#176 » by timO » Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:21 pm

last games:

Giddey is playing well.

Maledon and Bazley are horrible players.

Poku has 2 good games but coach dont give him minutes, when he plays well he have to play him at least 30 minutes.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#177 » by TheProfessor » Tue Nov 2, 2021 10:25 pm

Western Conference Semis with everything going right a la Hawks last year. Realistically a play in team next year and first round fodder the year after.
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#178 » by dukeknicksirish » Tue Nov 2, 2021 10:29 pm

I wish I had this amount of optimism in my own life wow
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,105

Post#179 » by The-Power » Fri Dec 3, 2021 8:43 am

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Even if SGA, Poku, Giddey and Dort all develop well, 2-3 years just isn't enough. They would still be a relatively bad team. Better than now but not better than teams like Minnesota or Memphis are right now.

They will be better than those two teams THIS year probably. You realize last year when they shut down SGA they were competing and around .500 ish area right? Now their young core has another year of development+ the addition of Giddey. To think they will be a bottom 3 team or something is very misguided. They will be in the neighborhood of the play in teams at least.

Maybe the Memphis players read this post. :D
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,111

Post#180 » by Lalouie » Fri Dec 3, 2021 9:16 am

9th in the west

Return to The General Board