What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Re: What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years? 

Post#181 » by timO » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:45 pm

1/4 RS

The only core players are SGA-Dort-Giddey, the rest are horrible players whose ceiling is bench warmers.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#182 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:57 pm

Maybe they'll contend to being blown out by 25 points instnead of 75.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,284

Post#183 » by Baseline81 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:06 pm

timO wrote:1/4 RS

The only core players are SGA-Dort-Giddey, the rest are horrible players whose ceiling is bench warmers.

But I thought Thunder fans were trying to sell us on the greatness of Poku?
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Post#184 » by hardenASG13 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 1:20 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:Just dont see it here. OP is obviously all in on SGA for some reason, but hes not a superstar and likely never will be. Hes more of a star who might make a few all star teams and lead his team to first round playoff outs. They need to hit a home run in the next few drafts, badly. Giddey looks good so far, and definately see him as a long term starter. But they have nothing outside those two. To say SGA is a top 10 talent in way off. Teams dont gameplan heavily for him or OKC, and rightfully so. If he gets an efficient 25, most teams can still easily beat them. Who is SGA better than here?

Giannis
Luka
Curry
AD
KD
Lebron
Harden
Lillard
Lavine
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Ball
Edwards
Randle
Butler
Beal
Trae
Irving
Tatum
Booker
Mitchell
Morant
George
Kawhi
Fox
Zion

Its not really arguable with most of them (maybe fox or trae), and the only ones who wont be around after a few years are maybe Lebron, KD, Curry and Kawhi. I included edwards on the list as he is a better prospect, and would also throw Jalen Green in that as well. SGA is more on the level with a sabonis, whos a very good player but not leading anyone far in the playoffs. OKC has a lot of work to do, and likely will need it to come via the draft. I know SGA said he wants to be the best player ever, but so do all these guys. He wont pass many if any of them from what ive seen.

This post has so much bad information it's hard to even figure out what to address first.

1. "Not a superstar and never will be": I never said he's already a superstar, but I'm not sure how you've determined his max upside while giving many other players a mention that are behind him by a mile in year by year development. Go ahead and compare the first 3 years of Booker, Mitchell, Fox, Beal or any of his young peers people compare him to. He's added more to his game and efficiency WAY faster than pretty much all of them. For example Booker has basically been the same player for 3 years, the difference is he got a good team around him.

2. "They need to hit homeruns in the draft badly": Well.... I mean yes, they need to keep adding via draft or a big trade/signing. Which is exactly why this topic is asking in 2-3 seasons and not the 2022 season.

3. "Teams don't gameplan for him": I mean this is just patently false. He had high usage, was double teamed at a high rate (top 10 in the league), created for himself 83% of the time, had bad or super raw teammates around him all year. Like it was OBVIOUS to any team the offense was running through him last year LMAO. If their ONLY gameplan was to focus on SGA, they likely automatically win. Especially with how shorthanded they were with Dort, Bazley and others out.

4. "To say he's a top 10 talent is way off": I mean nobody said that. I said he's closer to the top 10-15 range than the 30 area many placed him at. He's a more complete player than Booker or Mitchell who get hyped plenty.

As for your list, he's probably better than close to half of that list NOW, but good thing this topic is about 2-3 years from now, not today. He's got a great shot to be a top 10 player in 2 or 3 seasons. He's got the absolute best attributes you want in a #1 option. Elite isolation ability, great at getting to the line, incredible efficiency, clutch as hell, great playmaker, unstoppable driving ability. He's the NBA's most efficient 3 level scorer after the KD tier of a couple guys.

Yeah wow do i feel stupid! Who is SGA better than on that list again? Fox, maybe? Oh yeah, add Mobley to the list too. Efficiency as your main attribute does not make a superstar. Sometimes you need an eye test.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,859

Post#185 » by hauntedcomputer » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:27 pm

I'd rather build around Giddey, which moves your whole timeline back 5-7 years.

I'd be surprised if SGA stays, and it will be interesting to see how he handles it when he's paid. He seems destined for the Knicks. There's nothing here that's even close to resembling a good core but one day they will quit paying Kemba Walker and get serious. Dort looks like he could be a solid sixth man on a good team. The rest is flotsam, although I'd try to keep Kenrich Williams around.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

sixers4real wrote:Okay, GB, I hate you, but I’m bored.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,292

Post#186 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:47 pm

Yeah I'm curious what SGA does too in the future. A part of me wonders is Masai secretly plotting to bring him home.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#187 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:32 pm

They literally just paid SGA. If the balls bounce in their favor this draft they already have a young core of SGA+Giddey+2022 Draft Pick. Not to mention Dort looks like a playoff rotation caliber guy too IMO.

Then they sign some quality rotation guys in 2023 and are immediately a PO team with a nice ceiling IMO.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,933

Post#188 » by life_saver » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:15 pm

I am surprised to see how inefficient SGA's jumper has been so far this season..he was efficient even in his rookie year but so far this season, he has been shooting terribly from field (EFG of 46.4%)
Sphynx
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#189 » by Sphynx » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:17 am

They manage to get Jabari Smith, Chet or Banchero then it changes things considerably.

Smith or Banchero working off Giddey would be lethal.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,747

Post#190 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:Let’s say they never trade for a star player, but they keep drafting well another year or two. SGA+Giddey+Dort+Poku+Favors or Roby. They also have Maledon who should be really nice for years.

1x superstar upside guy who has proven he can be #1 (SGA)

2x guys with crazy upside as all around unicorn players that would make great #2 or #3 options (Giddey and Poku)

1x lockdown defender (Dort)

I feel like continuing to add a little depth in the draft, a smart vet signing or two for the locker room and their best course of action is to keep building organically. Trading picks for a star could ruin this special core they are building.

If all of these guys hit a realistic ceiling around the same time in 2-3 seasons will they be a contender?

Here we are 3 seasons later.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#191 » by bbms » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm

brutal
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,475

Post#192 » by Pattycakes » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm

Why so many people bumping two year old posts lately
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#193 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:59 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Why so many people bumping two year old posts lately

It’s just me lol. I bumped 4-5 of my prediction threads related to OKC/SGA

The Servant
Senior
And1: 697

Post#194 » by The Servant » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Lol!
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,485

Post#195 » by Saints14 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Why so many people bumping two year old posts lately

It’s just me lol. I bumped 4-5 of my prediction threads related to OKC/SGA

Hell yeah. We need more of this on message boards. We're all out here making BS predictions with no accountability - not saying bump every old thread, but we need to be celebrating wins and taking L's when necessary! You were getting hammered here, and pretty much everywhere as you predicted since his rookie year that SGA would be a superstar. Talk your **** dude!
laronprofit9
Senior
And1: 298

Post#196 » by laronprofit9 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:35 pm

Everyone is clueless predicting the future
"I'm Kobe"
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,294

Post#197 » by Statlanta » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 pm

Why is a Clipper fan bumping threads about the Thunder on a day they are not even playing a game?

Just to say I told you so to users he did not even sig bet?
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#198 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:I'd rather build around Giddey, which moves your whole timeline back 5-7 years.

I'd be surprised if SGA stays, and it will be interesting to see how he handles it when he's paid. He seems destined for the Knicks. There's nothing here that's even close to resembling a good core but one day they will quit paying Kemba Walker and get serious. Dort looks like he could be a solid sixth man on a good team. The rest is flotsam, although I'd try to keep Kenrich Williams around.

Instead SGA has gone to MVP tier since being paid and Giddey is the odd man out as they are the 1 seed.

Biff
Starter
And1: 1,244

Post#199 » by Biff » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 pm

Just confirms that most people on this forum don't have a clue. I see horrifically bad takes every single day (like Chris Duhon being almost as good as Nash LMAO).
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant

Return to The General Board