What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,729

What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years? 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:52 pm

Let’s say they never trade for a star player, but they keep drafting well another year or two. SGA+Giddey+Dort+Poku+Favors or Roby. They also have Maledon who should be really nice for years.

1x superstar upside guy who has proven he can be #1 (SGA)

2x guys with crazy upside as all around unicorn players that would make great #2 or #3 options (Giddey and Poku)

1x lockdown defender (Dort)

I feel like continuing to add a little depth in the draft, a smart vet signing or two for the locker room and their best course of action is to keep building organically. Trading picks for a star could ruin this special core they are building.

If all of these guys hit a realistic ceiling around the same time in 2-3 seasons will they be a contender?
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
AdamTH21
Senior
And1: 679

Re: What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years? 

Post#2 » by AdamTH21 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 pm

I like SGA, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all describing him as being proven as a #1 option until he's on a team that isn't actively trying to lose games. Look at some of the guys OKC had on the floor around him last year. I'm not a fan of the analogy in general, but someone needs the ball in their hands.

Poku needs a LOT more time to refine himself before it's even a discussion whether he's going to be a contributor. I haven't seen enough from Giddey. I like Dort but until he gets some scoring help, again, it's difficult to project how well he's going to fit amongst a team with aspirations higher than the #1 pick.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#3 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Playoff treadmill lower seed until they get a superstar via development, draft, trade or free agency
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,248

Post#4 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:01 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:1x superstar upside guy who has proven he can be #1 (SGA)

Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#5 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:05 pm

AdamTH21 wrote:I like SGA, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all describing him as being proven as a #1 option until he's on a team that isn't actively trying to lose games. Look at some of the guys OKC had on the floor around him last year. I'm not a fan of the analogy in general, but someone needs the ball in their hands.

Poku needs a LOT more time to refine himself before it's even a discussion whether he's going to be a contributor. I haven't seen enough from Giddey. I like Dort but until he gets some scoring help, again, it's difficult to project how well he's going to fit amongst a team with aspirations higher than the #1 pick.

When I look at who can be a #1 or not the “bad team” argument is often the worst one, or lowest effort one at least. I don’t mean that to insult, just saying it’s the go to for when people aren’t 100% sure.

Thing is... when you’re the only 20 ppg scorer on a bad team with no shooters or real offensive threats to take some of the defensive attention off you, that’s much more difficult. Do you think teams have a harder time planning for the Nets when they know they have to slow 3 superstars, or the team with 1 threat? James Harden gets a lot better/easier shots than a guy like SGA because of the attention KD will attract.

Then besides that aspect you take a look at skill set. What does SGA do skill wise that separates him from his peers? Well despite that **** spacing... he led the NBA in drives by a mile (most drives per game in 15+ years in the NBA) in a league where everyone is jump shot happy. Then he was elite in isolation. Elite at creating his own offense without relying on teammates. When you add in the insane efficiency from everywhere on the floor (at rim, mid, 3), it’s pretty clear he’s a legit #1.

Now is that number #1 a top 5 player, which is usually required to win a title? Not yet. I do think he can have a year or two where he’s an MVP candidate if he continues improving and working this hard.

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,146

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:06 pm

SGA has proven he’s already a really good #2. I don’t think he’s a 1st option on a chip team with what we’ve seen so far.

But really OKC is going to try to draft one of the top prospects in the next couple drafts, that’s been the plan. And hopefully that’s where they find the #1.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,294

Post#7 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:09 pm

11th seed basically where New Orleans is right now.

To move up somebody has to come down. Who's coming down in such a short time frame?

Lakers? Spurs?

It's gonna take 6-10 years to be anywhere relevant.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#8 » by Ayt » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:10 pm

I'd like them more if they had taken Sengun instead of trading the pick.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#9 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:13 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:SGA has proven he’s already a really good #2. I don’t think he’s a 1st option on a chip team with what we’ve seen so far.

But really OKC is going to try to draft one of the top prospects in the next couple drafts, that’s been the plan. And hopefully that’s where they find the #1.

He just put up 25 ppg per 36, 62%TS, 28% usage, 65% unassisted buckets... while being one of the hardest covers in the NBA from everywhere on the floor. I don’t understand what is #2 about that. I already explained why the bad team argument is flawed.

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by -Luke- » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Even if SGA, Poku, Giddey and Dort all develop well, 2-3 years just isn't enough. They would still be a relatively bad team. Better than now but not better than teams like Minnesota or Memphis are right now.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#11 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:17 pm

-Luke- wrote:Even if SGA, Poku, Giddey and Dort all develop well, 2-3 years just isn't enough. They would still be a relatively bad team. Better than now but not better than teams like Minnesota or Memphis are right now.

They will be better than those two teams THIS year probably. You realize last year when they shut down SGA they were competing and around .500 ish area right? Now their young core has another year of development+ the addition of Giddey. To think they will be a bottom 3 team or something is very misguided. They will be in the neighborhood of the play in teams at least.

JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,862

Post#12 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 pm

In the next 2-3 years? ...A contender? They'll be lucky to make the playoffs in that time period.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,038

Post#13 » by mg » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm

They probably need one more high draft pick then they might be 2-3 years away from making noise in the playoffs at that point. That Sengun trade is still a headscratcher considering all the picks they've already stockpiled. There are some nice bigs in the next draft though but it's going to take a few years to develop them.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#14 » by draftnightsuit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm

They will have the worst record in the league for the next 2 seasons.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#15 » by SNPA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:28 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Even if SGA, Poku, Giddey and Dort all develop well, 2-3 years just isn't enough. They would still be a relatively bad team. Better than now but not better than teams like Minnesota or Memphis are right now.

They will be better than those two teams THIS year probably. You realize last year when they shut down SGA they were competing and around .500 ish area right? Now their young core has another year of development+ the addition of Giddey. To think they will be a bottom 3 team or something is very misguided. They will be in the neighborhood of the play in teams at least.

Wow. Optimism. Lots of it.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#16 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:They will have the worst record in the league for the next 2 seasons.

And yet they literally had to shut SGA down last season after 35 games because he was keeping them too competitive (yes OKC fans, maybe he did have the foot injury, but they clearly milked it). Does this sound like a guy who’s gonna allow that to happen?

“I want to be one of the best point guards to ever play,” Gilgeous-Alexander said in a recent GQ interview. “I’m not playing this game just to be a good basketball player. I want to be one of the greatest to ever play.”

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#17 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:33 pm

SNPA wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:

Wow. Optimism. Lots of it.

Last season they said OKC would have the worst record in the NBA. Look at what happened when SGA was playing? They weren’t even close on predictions. To think that pace of last season+a handful of wins due to more development and Giddey would be unrealistic is preposterous to me.

Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,538

Post#18 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:37 pm

When people say #1 on a title team, do they mean better than Rip Hamilton, or better than Michael Jordan? Seems like a wide range, rendering the statement itself meaningless.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,924

Post#19 » by tydett » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:41 pm

So this topic isn't "What do you think OKC's ceiling is?" and is actually "I think OKC is going to be a contender soon and if you disagree I'm going to tell you why you're wrong." ?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#20 » by bstein14 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 pm

If we've learned anything, 90% of their team won't be there in 3 seasons they will likely have 6 or 7 first round picks from 2022 and 2023 drafts on their team as well a few different FA signings or players they have traded for.

Just because SGA was signed to a deal it doesn't mean he is there in a few years either. He was rumored to be offered in a package for the #1 pick so its clear that OKC may like him, but also isn't sold on him being the MAX level franchise guy that can put a team on his back. In an ideal situation you probably want a guy like SGA as your #2 best player..... and they are still tanking to try to get that #1 guy.

Return to The General Board