What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Re: What is OKC’s ceiling with this roster in 2-3 years? 

Post#101 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Just dont see it here. OP is obviously all in on SGA for some reason, but hes not a superstar and likely never will be. Hes more of a star who might make a few all star teams and lead his team to first round playoff outs. They need to hit a home run in the next few drafts, badly. Giddey looks good so far, and definately see him as a long term starter. But they have nothing outside those two. To say SGA is a top 10 talent in way off. Teams dont gameplan heavily for him or OKC, and rightfully so. If he gets an efficient 25, most teams can still easily beat them. Who is SGA better than here?

Giannis
Luka
Curry
AD
KD
Lebron
Harden
Lillard
Lavine
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Ball
Edwards
Randle
Butler
Beal
Trae
Irving
Tatum
Booker
Mitchell
Morant
George
Kawhi
Fox
Zion

Its not really arguable with most of them (maybe fox or trae), and the only ones who wont be around after a few years are maybe Lebron, KD, Curry and Kawhi. I included edwards on the list as he is a better prospect, and would also throw Jalen Green in that as well. SGA is more on the level with a sabonis, whos a very good player but not leading anyone far in the playoffs. OKC has a lot of work to do, and likely will need it to come via the draft. I know SGA said he wants to be the best player ever, but so do all these guys. He wont pass many if any of them from what ive seen.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,253

Post#102 » by QingJames » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:41 pm

I love SGA and firmly believe he can be an MVP candidate some day (advanced stats god), but it won't be with OKC. Presti is a snake oil salesman who isn't trying to win or even lay the foundations for a contender. If he was serious about that, he would mobilize his assets to put a good young team around Shai. Instead, he'll continue duping the rubes in OKC with his infinite rebuild strategy while Bennett laughs all the way to the bank with the savings he'll make from putting non-NBA rosters out there.

In 3 years OKC will still be tanking for picks and the fans will still be talking about their warchest.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#103 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:45 pm

QingJames wrote:I love SGA and firmly believe he can be an MVP candidate some day (advanced stats god), but it won't be with OKC. Presti is a snake oil salesman who isn't trying to win or even lay the foundations for a contender. If he was serious about that, he would mobilize his assets to put a good young team around Shai. Instead, he'll continue duping the rubes in OKC with his infinite rebuild strategy while Bennett laughs all the way to the bank with the savings he'll make from putting non-NBA rosters out there.

In 3 years OKC will still be tanking for picks and the fans will still be talking about their warchest.

What assets does he have that he could use to bring in immediate help? Favors, bazely and some picks? Not sure how much that gets back in a trade...
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#104 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:46 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:OKC has about 0% chance of landing an established star. SGA is pretty good but over-rated: might be a #2 on a contender. Giddy looks like a maybe starter and they have nothing else. If they aren't able to drat a true star in the next 2, 3 years of being the worst team in the NBA, then they will just continue to be one of the worst teams in the NBA

OKC probably has more of a chance of losing their franchise than making the playoffs in the next 5 years

Giddey has much more talent than 'just a starter'. He has a special feel for the game on offense. Its undeniable.

Ok, you guys are high on Giddy :D

Happy for your team if he's for real
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,253

Post#105 » by QingJames » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:51 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
QingJames wrote:I love SGA and firmly believe he can be an MVP candidate some day (advanced stats god), but it won't be with OKC. Presti is a snake oil salesman who isn't trying to win or even lay the foundations for a contender. If he was serious about that, he would mobilize his assets to put a good young team around Shai. Instead, he'll continue duping the rubes in OKC with his infinite rebuild strategy while Bennett laughs all the way to the bank with the savings he'll make from putting non-NBA rosters out there.

What assets does he have that he could use to bring in immediate help? Favors, bazely and some picks? Not sure how much that gets back in a trade...

He's got like a bazillion picks, isn't that what OKC fans keep pinning their hopes on, anyways?
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#106 » by namlede » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:00 pm

OKCs only shot at elite talents is through the draft. Or getting lucky like with SGA and the Kawhi situation.
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,600

Post#107 » by Synciere » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:06 pm

We’ve seen this movie before. Barring a trade or free agent haul, they’re most likely still in the lottery in three years.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,522

Post#108 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:21 pm

They really need to trade SGA. This is his year of most value before extension kicks in with most controlled years left (6). Yes, he has a PPP but OKC has cap, TPEs and salary filler to easily make trade work.

OKC is lucky to be 5-7 years away. That means they hope SGA re-signs and stays once they are relevant. Will he? By then he will have suffered tremendous (tremendous) amount of losing. It safer to say he will be looking for another proven superstar player/team to join vs. HOPE a team of 22-24 year old players are legit.

Trade SGA for a recent 2021 top pick. Confirm and embrace the tank. Draft BPA for next 2-3 seasons with their own tank 1st. With all the other draft capital, move up and around draft and/or trade for a disgruntled still on rookie contract player (in few years).
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,217

Post#109 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:22 pm

I still don't get why some fans act like OKC is already tanking for 10 years. We are in the second year of our rebuild. Presti gave up a tanking season to play with CP3, Adams, Schroeder and Gallo 2 years ago. It's not like he's a tanking addict or something.

That being said, we still lack very good young players to help SGA.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,162

Post#110 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

I still don't get why some fans act like OKC is already tanking for 10 years. We are in the second year of our rebuild. Presti gave up a tanking season to play with CP3, Adams, Schroeder and Gallo 2 years ago. It's not like he's a tanking addict or something.

That being said, we still lack very good young players to help SGA.

Somebody on Twitter was talking about how the Hornets were building "the right way" without tanking like OKC is, ignoring that the Hornets have been in the lottery 16 out of the last 17 years, while OKC is one of the most winning orgs since the relocation in the entire league, and was a 4 seed in the playoffs two years ago. I don't know why teams get brownie points for being really bad at building. Presti knows what he's doing. I'd rather a team be bad for a couple years than a couple decades.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 566

Post#111 » by bbms » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Wolveswin wrote:They really need to trade SGA. This is his year of most value before extension kicks in with most controlled years left (6). Yes, he has a PPP but OKC has cap, TPEs and salary filler to easily make trade work.

OKC is lucky to be 5-7 years away. That means they hope SGA re-signs and stays once they are relevant. Will he? By then he will have suffered tremendous (tremendous) amount of losing. It safer to say he will be looking for another proven superstar player/team to join vs. HOPE a team of 22-24 year old players are legit.

Trade SGA for a recent 2021 top pick. Confirm and embrace the tank. Draft BPA for next 2-3 seasons with their own tank 1st. With all the other draft capital, move up and around draft and/or trade for a disgruntled still on rookie contract player (in few years).

I would hate to trade SGA, I would feel this to be a really anxious move. I think we will be bad enough this season to have a shot at someone like Banchero or Holmgren, and then we'll be up again on playoff contention.

We just need to get better up front, outside that, it's a tri-core that can play fast paced games with a young high-level half court scorer, a young high-level defender, a young high-level playmaker. We could get really good on the backcourt really quickly.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#112 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 pm

bbms wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:They really need to trade SGA. This is his year of most value before extension kicks in with most controlled years left (6). Yes, he has a PPP but OKC has cap, TPEs and salary filler to easily make trade work.

I would hate to trade SGA, I would feel this to be a really anxious move. I think we will be bad enough this season to have a shot at someone like Banchero or Holmgren. SGA-Dort-Giddey is already a nice backcourt core, just needs to get better up front, hopefully via Draft but we also have moveable assets.

Who cares if they are already a “nice” backcourt — they won’t be the backcourt when OKC is relevant. So much will change by then with so many draft picks, trades (maybe even SGA over next 1-4 years) and other variables. Locking in rotations and pairings right now is silly.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,162

Post#113 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:

I would hate to trade SGA, I would feel this to be a really anxious move. I think we will be bad enough this season to have a shot at someone like Banchero or Holmgren. SGA-Dort-Giddey is already a nice backcourt core, just needs to get better up front, hopefully via Draft but we also have moveable assets.

Who cares if they are already a “nice” backcourt — they won’t be the backcourt when OKC is relevant. So much will change by then with so many draft picks, trades (maybe even SGA over next 1-4 years) and other variables. Locking in rotations and pairings right now is silly.

I mean Towns is still in Minny and they’ve been bad the whole time save one year. Not sure why OKC has to trade SGA. You don’t get extra points for just being bad at team building and accidentally a bad team.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#114 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:

I mean Towns is still in Minny and they’ve been bad the whole time save one year. Not sure why OKC has to trade SGA. You don’t get extra points for just being bad at team building and accidentally a bad team.

In MN, Towns is left over from previous regime and rebuild that for most part failed. He is on a clock in MN, if they aren’t relevant this year he is a very likely trade candidate so Wolves organization can try yet again around Edwards.

Towns is 25, 26 in few weeks, with only 3 years of team control. And since trading stars is best before expiring, the Wolves are really up against it.
bbms
Analyst

Post#115 » by bbms » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:

I don't agree.

One thing is to trade someone like Kenrich Williams or Ty Jerome, that can contribute to a winning team while being stuck on a developmental roster, and improves us in ways we don't want to improve.

Another thing is to trade someone that is in development like SGA, that can grow into a top-level scorer and can improve his value to multiple FRPs, when the league was just shill on him and ditched him for someone like Cade, with 0 minutes in the NBA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#116 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm

OKC isnt nearly as far off as many think. It would take some luck, but with a top-3 pick and a max FA they could be in good shape as early as 22/23.

Has no one considered that the plan is to sign someone this summer? That paying SGA makes the idea of paying someone even more sensical and that the plan all along may be to do just that, while aiming for another top pick in 2022, and having picks to use in a deal for a disgruntled star / high level role player?

Also, the tanking culture argument is a joke. They made the PO's in 19/20, they tanked for like 70% of last season and are tanking again. Thats not even 2 years of tanking.

They could end up with Chet, Paolo or Hardy. They could throw a max / big deal at Ayton, Bridges or even Sexton. There is a ton they can do.

G - SGA
G - Lou Dort
F - Josh Giddey
F - Chet Holmgren
C - DeAndre Ayton

G - SGA
G - Lou Dort
F - Josh Giddey
F - Miles Bridges
C - Paolo Banchero

G - SGA
G - Jaden Hardy
F - Josh Giddey
F - Miles Bridges
C - Jusuf Nurkic? / Claxton?
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#117 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm

bbms wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:

I don't agree.

One thing is to trade someone like Kenrich Williams or Ty Jerome, that can contribute to a winning team while being stuck on a developmental roster, and improves us in ways we don't want to improve.

Another thing is to trade someone that is in development like SGA, that can grow into a top-level scorer and can improve his value to multiple FRPs, when the league was just shill on him and ditched him for someone like Cade, with 0 minutes in the NBA.

No doubt the “when” is the age old question and worth the debate.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:OKC isnt nearly as far off as many think. It would take some luck, but with a top-3 pick and a max FA they could be in good shape as early as 22/23.

Has no one considered that the plan is to sign someone this summer? That paying SGA makes the idea of paying someone even more sensical and that the plan all along may be to do just that, while aiming for another top pick in 2022, and having picks to use in a deal for a disgruntled star / high level role player?

Also, the tanking culture argument is a joke. They made the PO's in 19/20, they tanked for like 70% of last season and are tanking again. Thats not even 2 years of tanking.

OKC doesn’t even have max cap space 2022 offseason.
bbms
Analyst

Post#119 » by bbms » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:05 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Who cares if they are already a “nice” backcourt — they won’t be the backcourt when OKC is relevant. So much will change by then with so many draft picks, trades (maybe even SGA over next 1-4 years) and other variables. Locking in rotations and pairings right now is silly.

I don't agree.

Basically what I was saying that OKC has a higher evaluation on SGA than the NBA evaluates him, so it doesn't make sense to trade him for us.

And Presti is someone really solid on that aspect. I trust him on that decision.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#120 » by Wolveswin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:10 pm

bbms wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
bbms wrote:
I don't agree.

Basically what I was saying that OKC has a higher evaluation on SGA than the NBA evaluates him, so it doesn't make sense to trade him for us.

No so sure. If he has a good to great showing until January when he can be traded, teams desperate to win-now may over spend for a young, 5.5 year locked in player like SGA.

Example would be Warriors. SGA helps more than all their 19/20yo youth, plus OKC has good filler contracts.

SGA + Favors + K. Williams + ______

FOR

Wiggins + Wiseman + Moody + Kuminga + Pick(s)

Wiggins expires same time as Walker’s contract. Maybe even buy him out too — or let him tank commander.

Return to The General Board