SGA will be TOP 10 Player in 3 years. (Before 2024/25 Season)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will SGA be top 10 player in the league by the start of 2024/25 season

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm

Yes, one of most underrated players in league. Data and film shows his upward trajectory towards SUPERSTARDOM
30%
No, OKC is going to be terrible for next few years. SGA is #2 star, not #1
70%

Total votes: 94

EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 972

SGA will be TOP 10 Player in 3 years. (Before 2024/25 Season) 

Post#1 » by EliteSmarts » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 pm

I saw this in the other thread. I was already big fan of SGA so this information I saw from another thread confirmed my beliefs about his talent.

quote="OKCfanSinceSGA"]
AdamTH21 wrote:I like SGA, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all describing him as being proven as a #1 option until he's on a team that isn't actively trying to lose games. Look at some of the guys OKC had on the floor around him last year. I'm not a fan of the analogy in general, but someone needs the ball in their hands.

Poku needs a LOT more time to refine himself before it's even a discussion whether he's going to be a contributor. I haven't seen enough from Giddey. I like Dort but until he gets some scoring help, again, it's difficult to project how well he's going to fit amongst a team with aspirations higher than the #1 pick.

When I look at who can be a #1 or not the “bad team” argument is often the worst one, or lowest effort one at least. I don’t mean that to insult, just saying it’s the go to for when people aren’t 100% sure.

Thing is... when you’re the only 20 ppg scorer on a bad team with no shooters or real offensive threats to take some of the defensive attention off you, that’s much more difficult. Do you think teams have a harder time planning for the Nets when they know they have to slow 3 superstars, or the team with 1 threat? James Harden gets a lot better/easier shots than a guy like SGA because of the attention KD will attract.

Then besides that aspect you take a look at skill set. What does SGA do skill wise that separates him from his peers? Well despite that **** spacing... he led the NBA in drives by a mile (most drives per game in 15+ years in the NBA) in a league where everyone is jump shot happy. Then he was elite in isolation. Elite at creating his own offense without relying on teammates. When you add in the insane efficiency from everywhere on the floor (at rim, mid, 3), it’s pretty clear he’s a legit #1.

Now is that number #1 a top 5 player, which is usually required to win a title? Not yet. I do think he can have a year or two where he’s an MVP candidate if he continues improving and working this hard.[/quote]
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 972

Re: SGA will be TOP 10 Player in 3 years. (Before 2024/25 Season) 

Post#2 » by EliteSmarts » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Damm
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,799

Post#3 » by basketballRob » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:05 pm

He'll probably be behind Earvin Magic Barnes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,432

Post#4 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:07 pm

I don’t see him being a top 10 player on that time frame. I’m not sure he’ll be a top 20 player in 3 years either.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,757

Post#5 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:08 pm

Yes. He’s already top 20. Top 10 isn’t some crazy high bar really.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#6 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:I don’t see him being a top 10 player on that time frame. I’m not sure he’ll be a top 20 player in 3 years either.

:lol:

HoopsterJones
RealGM

Post#7 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:12 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:I don’t see him being a top 10 player on that time frame. I’m not sure he’ll be a top 20 player in 3 years either.

0 All Star team
0 All NBA
0 All defensive team

But top 20 already? There’s more than 20 players in the NBA better right now than SGA. That’s not to say he isn’t good.

0 All Stars:
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,296

Post#8 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 pm

There's a better chance he stagnates/declines considering how much G-League/sub-NBA talent he has to train with in practice.

He and Sam Presti are gonna be in the lottery for years.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,273

Post#9 » by Catchall » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:24 pm

I think SGA is a top 40 player in the league right now. He's a nice player, but he hasn't really proven much at this point. If you asked teams whether they'd prefer to have SGA or guys like Lamelo Ball, Brandon Ingram, MPJ, etc., I think the responses would be split.

ESPN just ranked him #36 on their Top 100 list.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#10 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:28 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:

0 All Star team
0 All NBA
0 All defensive team

But top 20 already? There’s more than 20 players in the NBA better right now than SGA. That’s not to say he isn’t good.

In terms of his skill set, talent, production, efficiency last year yes I have him in the 15-20 range already. Lower end of it. I think he’s not as far as you’d think from cracking that 8-10 area.

He had zero chance at any of those teams because he’s not super flashy or popular, and missed more than half the season.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,569

Post#11 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 pm

In my personal rankings, I have him as a cuspy top 20 player already. I like his game more than some of the other scoring guards in the NBA (Booker, Murray, Lavine, Mitchell), but acknowledge he hasn't been on a winning team or I guess accomplished as much.

I think most people who follow Shai are very high on him, but not a lot of people watched him play last year. I just see more of a total package that I see with these other guards and less limitations. He's taller, he's going to be a better defender than these other guys, he's stronger attacking the hoop, he's a better passer. He doesn't have the sniper rifle that Mitchell and Murray have. He doesn't have Lavine's bounce or Bookers midrange assasinary. But if I made a list of all the skills a guard should have and ranked these guys, I think Shai would pop out as clearly the most well-rounded and the guy with the least weaknesses.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
HoopsterJones
RealGM

Post#12 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:43 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:

0 All Star team
0 All NBA
0 All defensive team

In terms of his skill set, talent, production, efficiency last year yes I have him in the 15-20 range already. Lower end of it. I think he’s not as far as you’d think from cracking that 8-10 area.

He had zero chance at any of those teams because he’s not super flashy or popular, and missed more than half the season.

I haven’t seen anyone rank SGA higher than 31 in SI, ESPN, NBA lists of players.

And he’s not 15-20 range already. Just because it’s your opinion doesn’t make it true. I have SGA in the top 30-35 range. And that’s not a slight. There’s just a lot of talent in the same range that really doesn’t have much separation TBH.

0 All Stars:
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,762

Post#13 » by leolozon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Possible, but it's statistically unlikely. 3 years isn't enough to be sure that Durant, Curry, Harden, Kawhi, Davis won't be in the conversation anymore. We have to assume 2 of them will still be top 10. Plus Giannis, Luka, Jokic and likely Embiid will still be there. So there is probably only 3-5 spots left for :

Zion, Trae, Tatum, Booker, Mitchell, Adebayo, SGA, Ja, Lamelo, Fox, Ingram, MPJ, (Brown, Lavine, Simmons, Murray I don't think so), and whoever is going to pan out in this rookie class.

So possible, but not likely in my opinion.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#14 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:In my personal rankings, I have him as a cuspy top 20 player already. I like his game more than some of the other scoring guards in the NBA (Booker, Murray, Lavine, Mitchell), but acknowledge he hasn't been on a winning team or I guess accomplished as much.

I think most people who follow Shai are very high on him, but not a lot of people watched him play last year. I just see more of a total package that I see with these other guards and less limitations. He's taller, he's going to be a better defender than these other guys, he's stronger attacking the hoop, he's a better passer. He doesn't have the sniper rifle that Mitchell and Murray have. He doesn't have Lavine's bounce or Bookers midrange assasinary. But if I made a list of all the skills a guard should have and ranked these guys, I think Shai would pop out as clearly the most well-rounded and the guy with the least weaknesses.

Fantastic post.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,569

Post#15 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:08 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
0 All Star team
0 All NBA
0 All defensive team

I haven’t seen anyone rank SGA higher than 31 in SI, ESPN, NBA lists of players.

And he’s not 15-20 range already. Just because it’s your opinion doesn’t make it true. I have SGA in the top 30-35 range. And that’s not a slight. There’s just a lot of talent in the same range that really doesn’t have much separation TBH.

Every ranking list is just an opinion or an aggregate of multiple opinions. Player ranking is opinion based. There isn't such thing as an objective top 20 player in the NBA. It's rare you see a ranking that uses a strong methodology to create a slightly more objective ranking system. Seth Partnow at the athletic makes his tiers every year and backs it up decently. Ben Taylor does his top 10 and tries to provide ranges for players. Every other list I've seen is just random people like us (but some of them have journalism jobs) giving us their opinion.

Having SGA in your top 20 isn't unreasonable, but I agree with you that most people don't have him there right now. Having him in the early 30s is reasonable too. The consensus on Shai right now is probably somewhere in the range you have him in.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#16 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:19 pm

top 15 very easily. top 10 he will be like jimmy butler status 11-12.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM

Post#17 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Catchall wrote:I think SGA is a top 40 player in the league right now. He's a nice player, but he hasn't really proven much at this point. If you asked teams whether they'd prefer to have SGA or guys like Lamelo Ball, Brandon Ingram, MPJ, etc., I think the responses would be split.

ESPN just ranked him #36 on their Top 100 list.

lavine was a top 40 player until he won all star. sga he will be an all star and make at least 3rd all nba because he plays the game right way. proving only comes with 3 yrs of additional experience.
Gramercy Riffs
Junior
And1: 727

Post#18 » by Gramercy Riffs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:36 pm

Jokic, Giannis, Curry, Harden, Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Doncic, Embiid, Butler, Lillard, Trae, Beal, Tatum, PG, Mitchell, Bam, Gobert, AD, KAT are 20 players I'd say are better than SGA. He's probably in my next 5 along with Randle, Sabonis, Fox, Westbrook.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,411

Post#19 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Well guess think of some of the names that should still be in the top 10 around that time..

Giannis
Luka
Jokic
Embiid
Davis
Tatum

That's about 6 right there then you have

Trae, Booker, Mitchell, Zion, LaVine, Morant and we're not even factoring how good might LaMelo, Edwards, Mobley etc might become. Will guys like Beal, Dame still be fairly relevant and I feel like I'm missing a few names in their too. Who are you definitively putting him ahead of??

As a hometown hero, I'm rooting for SGA and sure hope he does become one of the top 10 but it won't be easy.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DroseReturnChi
RealGM

Post#20 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Gramercy Riffs wrote:Jokic, Giannis, Curry, Harden, Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Doncic, Embiid, Butler, Lillard, Trae, Beal, Tatum, PG, Mitchell, Bam, Gobert, AD, KAT are 20 players I'd say are better than SGA. He's probably in my next 5 along with Randle, Sabonis, Fox, Westbrook.

they are all better atm but most are injury prone. i dont see AD,PG sustaining for next 3 yrs unless sga becomes injury prone.

Return to The General Board