Which team is better 5 years from now? OKC or Memphis

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,285

Which team is better 5 years from now? OKC or Memphis 

Post#1 » by Godymas » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:27 pm

Memphis has their core right now. One thing that is really nice about the core guys (Bane, Ja, JJJ) is that they are not only all elite at a few things, but they all complement each other so well. Bane and JJJ nicely stretching the floor while Ja finishes at the rim. JJJ being an elite defensive player, Bane is no slouch defensively, both help cover Ja’s weaknesses on the other side.

OKC has their first clear star, their Ja Morant equivalent in SGA. They have Chet Holmgrem, and it remains to be seen who could be their 3rd player with All Star potential but they could draft someone nice in the upcoming draft.

Memphis seems like a more attractive place for veterans to land. They have a set core and their core is good. Better location than OKC too.

Would you bet on Memphis or OKC being the better team
5 years from now?

I believe SGA could be better than Ja on a winning team only because of the defense. However I cannot guarantee that Chet and whatever else OKC get will be better than Bane and JJJ.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,111

Re: Which team is better 5 years from now? OKC or Memphis 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:43 pm

like anyone could even know that....

I mean seriously though. So much changes in 5 years it is absolutely impossible to do anything but wildly guess here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,522

Post#3 » by Wolveswin » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:52 pm

I think Memphis because they are better now and their star players are young and locked in. Also, although they don’t have OKC level assets, they have enough assets for a consolidation trade soon enough. Add a disgruntled star to Ja, JJJ, Bane and that team could be top team in NBA within 5 years.

Youth:
LaRavia (2022 #19)
Roddy (2022 #23)
Z. Williams (2021 #10)

Picks:
All of their own (none owed)
2024 GSW 1st (top 4, #1, unprotected)

Salary Filler:
Plenty quality players like Adams, Clarke, Jones, and assuming Brooks.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#4 » by ropjhk » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 pm

It's hard to project what OKC will look like in 5 years. They could dominate the league or they could be perpetually rebuilding.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,035

Post#5 » by whatisacenter » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm

5 years? Way to long from now to know.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,389

Post#6 » by Ckay » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:21 pm

I'll tell ya in 5 years.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,839

Post#7 » by Jadoogar » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:37 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:like anyone could even know that....

I mean seriously though. So much changes in 5 years it is absolutely impossible to do anything but wildly guess here.

5 years ago:
Luka, a top 5 player, wasn't in the league yet
Kevin Durant was on the Warriors
Ben Simmons was winning ROTY and on his way to superstardom
Raptors hadn't won a title yet and Kawhi was on the Spurs
Phoenix Suns had the worst record in the league
James Harden won MVP and has changed teams 2 times since then

5 years is an eternity in the NBA, it's pointless to make predictions that far out.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,162

Post#8 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:53 pm

The Thunder’s first top 5 pick of the rebuild hasn’t even hit the court yet we have no idea what the answer to this will be.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,759

Post#9 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:08 pm

OKC in a landslide. SGA is a more complete #1 than Ja, they have a ton of young talent yet to peak, and then they will add tons of 1st round picks in the next couple years. Even if they struck out every draft, OKC. Maybe SGA’s #2 won’t be as good as a Bane, but their depth of young players is superior going forward
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,947

Post#10 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:10 pm

Both will be in perennial playoff contention.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#11 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 pm

I don't know about anything else you said OP but Memphis is not a better location than OKC.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#12 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:OKC in a landslide. SGA is a more complete #1 than Ja, they have a ton of young talent yet to peak, and then they will add tons of 1st round picks in the next couple years. Even if they struck out every draft, OKC. Maybe SGA’s #2 won’t be as good as a Bane, but their depth of young players is superior going forward

Not looking good for Memphis.

jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,133

Post#13 » by jkvonny » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 am

Capn'O wrote:Both will be in perennial playoff contention.

This
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,511

Post#14 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:30 am

If you had just used hindsight you'd know Ja would waive a gun and get suspended, duh.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#15 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

If you had just used hindsight you'd know Ja would waive a gun and get suspended, duh.

Even with Ja the Grizzlies are a 4-6 seed team and nowhere near this level of OKC. The west is WAY stronger than the previous couple years when they got high seed due to injuries to other teams.

Texas Chuck
And1: 89,111

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

How would that help? I need a Delorean to know who was better 5 years from the OP. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,485

Post#17 » by Saints14 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm

Ok this thread makes more sense now that I checked the timestamp of the OP. Another good example of how fortunes can change so quickly in the NBA. It would have been a little crazy to pick OKC before last season - after they were one of the worst teams the prior year, before SGA took a superstar leap, before we saw Chet and JDub hit the floor. A year and a half later and it'd be crazy not to pick them 5 years out from right now.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,573

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:OKC in a landslide. SGA is a more complete #1 than Ja, they have a ton of young talent yet to peak, and then they will add tons of 1st round picks in the next couple years. Even if they struck out every draft, OKC. Maybe SGA’s #2 won’t be as good as a Bane, but their depth of young players is superior going forward

Disagree. Memphis could bounce back might quick. They're bound to be an elite defense and have a very dynamic offensive backcourt. They have some holes to fill, but they're going to be able to add to their team this offseason with a high draft pick.

Just when it looked like a lot of their young guys weren't working out, we got Vince Williams Jr. and GG Jackson popping off this season. Brandon Clarke will be healthy next season and in his prime (he looked pretty good in his brief return at the end of the season.

They need to figure out the center spot, but no one should be surprised if Grizzlies are right back in the fight for homecourt in the West next year.

Now I'm big on OKC so I've long been on them over Memphis, but I don't think they should be discounted just because of a nightmare season.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#19 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Disagree. Memphis could bounce back might quick. They're bound to be an elite defense and have a very dynamic offensive backcourt. They have some holes to fill, but they're going to be able to add to their team this offseason with a high draft pick.

Just when it looked like a lot of their young guys weren't working out, we got Vince Williams Jr. and GG Jackson popping off this season. Brandon Clarke will be healthy next season and in his prime (he looked pretty good in his brief return at the end of the season.

They need to figure out the center spot, but no one should be surprised if Grizzlies are right back in the fight for homecourt in the West next year.

Now I'm big on OKC so I've long been on them over Memphis, but I don't think they should be discounted just because of a nightmare season.

The argument is likely over in terms of Memphis catching OKC. They are much older, their top guy is inferior, they have way less depth, nowhere near the two way dominance. Lest we also forget that OKC still has a **** of assets to cash in for another mega star. Memphis caught a banged up, nowhere near as good western conference off guard 2 or 3 years ago. Then Denver rose up, Minny and OKC rocketed. They are a 4-6 seed going forward, OKC will be fighting for rings NOW.

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,217

Post#20 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:29 pm

OKC is obviously in a better position but the gap isn't as big as it looks.
OKC big 3 > Grizzlies big 3 IMO which is the most important and why I have the Thunder ahead
. We lack depth though and I don't know who has the better roster outside of the 3 best players of each team...maybe OKC by a small margin.
The Memphis 2024 FRP is a blessing and is worth value wise a lot of OKC picks they own from other teams.

Return to The General Board