NBA Rookie Discussion Thread 2023-24

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Make two selections: One between Wemby/Holmgren and one for the rest

Chet Holmgren
27%
Victor Wembanyama
29%
Brandon Miller
11%
Ausar Thompson
6%
Jordan Hawkins
1%
Jaime Jaquez Jr.
13%
Bilal Coulibaly
2%
Dereck Lively
5%
Scoot Henderson
1%
Other
5%

Total votes: 588

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Re: NBA Rookie Discussion Thread 2023-24 

Post#2061 » by Dan Z » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:52 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
NotaHypeJob wrote:GG Jackson goes top 5 in a 2023 redraft right?
He's looking like a Danny Granger/Michael Porter Jr kinda guy and he's barely turned 19.

You think he goes higher than the Thompson twins or Scoot?

He's having a good season, but I wouldn't take him top five. There are other rookies in that class that I'd rather have too, but it depends on my team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2023.html

He would absolutely go before Scoot in a redraft, think he goes before Ausar as well. The skillset he has at the size he has is extremely valuable, more so when you realize he's only 19. He's been putting up numbers better than Miller since he got the start, and is already the 3rd leading scorer in the class despite basically not playing for the first 1/3 of the season.

It's only year one of this rookie class so you have to keep potential in mind too. That's one reason why I don't think he goes top 5, but to each his own.

He's barely the third hightest scorer in his class and compared to most rookies he has ample opportunity on an injury depleted Grizzlies team.

The Kia rookie ladder has him tied for 10th place (9th if you don't want to count Chet).
https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-march-20-2024-edition
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,248

Post#2062 » by LAvision » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 am

It’s pretty crazy that wemby has a 31/15/5/3 game and I thought he played poorly.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,578

Post#2063 » by Wolfgang630 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:16 am

24 shots and 12 were 3’s. These dudes need to stop shooting so much 3’s lord
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,383

Post#2064 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:26 am

Dan Z wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
You think he goes higher than the Thompson twins or Scoot?

He's having a good season, but I wouldn't take him top five. There are other rookies in that class that I'd rather have too, but it depends on my team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2023.html

He would absolutely go before Scoot in a redraft, think he goes before Ausar as well. The skillset he has at the size he has is extremely valuable, more so when you realize he's only 19. He's been putting up numbers better than Miller since he got the start, and is already the 3rd leading scorer in the class despite basically not playing for the first 1/3 of the season.

It's only year one of this rookie class so you have to keep potential in mind too. That's one reason why I don't think he goes top 5, but to each his own.

He's barely the third hightest scorer in his class and compared to most rookies he has ample opportunity on an injury depleted Grizzlies team.

The Kia rookie ladder has him tied for 10th place (9th if you don't want to count Chet).

He's played 836 minutes that is not ample time, that's 18th for rookies, yet he's 10th in total points. He goes top 5 if they did a redraft because his potential is so much higher than Scoots, same with Whitmore. I think you're underselling just how good GG has been, he wont be 20 until December, he's 6'9" and has shown self creation skills and 3 point shooting, two things that are coveted at that size.

You'd have a better point about him if he wasn't scoring efficiently, but he has been, he has averaged 25ppg, 5rpg, 2apg on 47% 39% 3PT and 90% FT in his starts this year, not a big sample size but the talent is obviously there. I don't really care what the rookie ladder has him at, in a redraft it's all about talent/potential, and he has it over Scoot who is wildly inefficient.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#2065 » by Dan Z » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:49 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

He's played 836 minutes that is not ample time, that's 18th for rookies, yet he's 10th in total points. He goes top 5 if they did a redraft because his potential is so much higher than Scoots, same with Whitmore. I think you're underselling just how good GG has been, he wont be 20 until December, he's 6'9" and has shown self creation skills and 3 point shooting, two things that are coveted at that size.

You'd have a better point about him if he wasn't scoring efficiently, but he has been, he has averaged 25ppg, 5rpg, 2apg on 47% 39% 3PT and 90% FT in his starts this year, not a big sample size but the talent is obviously there. I don't really care what the rookie ladder has him at, in a redraft it's all about talent/potential, and he has it over Scoot who is wildly inefficient.

Ample opportunity, not minutes. What I mean is someone on Memphis has to score and all their vets have been out with injuries. He doesn't have to fit into a role on a winning team.

I agree that he's talent, but like I said you have to take future potential into account too. I know that Scoot has struggled, but there's a reason why he was picked #3 and he's young too (both players are 19). It's okay if you don't like him.

There are other players that might go higher than GG in a re-draft too. JJJ, Cason Wallace, Dereck Lively, Keyonte George and maybe even Cam Whitmore (who you mentioned).
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 561

Post#2066 » by MMyhre » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:35 am

Shot selection and turnovers should be improved by Wemby next season. Easy to get bad habits on bad teams, even if it gives you more chances to grow.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,287

Post#2067 » by WestGOAT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:24 shots and 12 were 3’s. These dudes need to stop shooting so much 3’s lord

It will be interesting to see how that develops moving forward, offensively he obviously fancies himself more of a KD than let's say AD, and while center seems his best position, he may not want to play like one.

Maybe he can develop Embiid's face up game. He already is good at drawing FTs. Embiid also had big turnover problems in his rookie season, but he managed to improve on that, during the regular season at least.
spotted in Bologna
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,878

Post#2068 » by mcmurphy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am

LAvision wrote:It’s pretty crazy that wemby has a 31/15/5/3 game and I thought he played poorly.

in the game against MEM, SAS DefRtg with Wemby on court (33min) DefRtg=85.3 (NetRtg= +18.6) when Wemby is out and Collins in (15 min) SAS DefRtg= 106.1 (NetRtg= -46.1)

only the defensive presence is terrific
NotaHypeJob
Sixth Man
And1: 2,229

Post#2069 » by NotaHypeJob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:37 pm

Dan Z wrote:Ample opportunity, not minutes. What I mean is someone on Memphis has to score and all their vets have been out with injuries. He doesn't have to fit into a role on a winning team.

I agree that he's talent, but like I said you have to take future potential into account too. I know that Scoot has struggled, but there's a reason why he was picked #3 and he's young too (both players are 19). It's okay if you don't like him.

There are other players that might go higher than GG in a re-draft too. JJJ, Cason Wallace, Dereck Lively, Keyonte George and maybe even Cam Whitmore (who you mentioned).

All the injuries to Memphis, especially at guard, makes his scoring more impressive to me. He wasn't that efficient at SCar or even the g league as a primary option and his game fits much better as a 3rd/4th option imo. His most explosive games are when others set him up for three pointers since he has such a lightning quick release, he's gonna eat with a healthy Morant/Bane. The fact that he's improved his 1v1 by a significant amount so quickly is insane and an added bonus.
I might take him 3rd in a redraft honestly. I think everyone you listed is good but how many 6'9 wings that are efficient 3 level scorers and have defensive potential are currently in the NBA. It's hard to pinpoint his ceiling as well with how much he's improved in months.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#2070 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Scooter back on his Bully!
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#2071 » by Dan Z » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:56 pm

NotaHypeJob wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Ample opportunity, not minutes. What I mean is someone on Memphis has to score and all their vets have been out with injuries. He doesn't have to fit into a role on a winning team.

All the injuries to Memphis, especially at guard, makes his scoring more impressive to me. He wasn't that efficient at SCar or even the g league as a primary option and his game fits much better as a 3rd/4th option imo. His most explosive games are when others set him up for three pointers since he has such a lightning quick release, he's gonna eat with a healthy Morant/Bane. The fact that he's improved his 1v1 by a significant amount so quickly is insane and an added bonus.
I might take him 3rd in a redraft honestly. I think everyone you listed is good but how many 6'9 wings that are efficient 3 level scorers and have defensive potential are currently in the NBA. It's hard to pinpoint his ceiling as well with how much he's improved in months.

I understand you'd take him at #3, but I bet most people would not. We'll both know better in a few years who are the best players in this draft. Right now GG was a steal in the 2nd round.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#2072 » by DCasey91 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:20 pm

;pp=ygUQQ2hldCBob2xtZ3JlbiAzNQ%3D%3D

I’ll guess I’ll put this here I suppose. Chet played a great game yet no discussion on it.

I do think there’s a tangent of unfairness because he plays on a good team. Still have to put the ball in the hoop and do his job as the last line on defence.

Which he’s done superbly. Great season

Just hope they give him some recovery time before the playoffs start
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#2073 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:03 am

Forgot to add this from Friday's game:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#2074 » by donnieme » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 pm

This is going to be one of the better periods for circus talent since the 80s. Wemby, Jokic, Luka. Not simply elite but elite and unique. Pretty much videogame create-a character.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,844

Post#2075 » by GSP » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:25 am

Read on Twitter
NotaHypeJob
Sixth Man
And1: 2,229

Post#2076 » by NotaHypeJob » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:14 am

Dan Z wrote:
NotaHypeJob wrote:

I understand you'd take him at #3, but I bet most people would not. We'll both know better in a few years who are the best players in this draft. Right now GG was a steal in the 2nd round.

I think most people would take the youngest player in the NBA that looks like a 18+ ppg, two way 6'9 wing. That is an archetype that will always be needed by contenders.
I think a lot of these guys are role players so it's basically what role do you think is the most important.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#2077 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm

This is not related to rookie of the year race or even top 10 (tho he is sneakily good as hell), but oldest rookie at 27, who was in 2 way contract until recently and impressed me quite a bit every time Wolves played Trailblazers.

I'm talking about South Sudanese Aussie Duop Reath. Very interesting high energy big, who seems like a typical rim running big but actually is sneaky sniper from 3 too.

Why am I talking about him? Not only because he impressed me, but this article about him is worth reading, in age of one and dones, its fascinating to read the long journey and career a player can have while persistenly chasing the NBA dream (got NBA contract almost a decade later then first time he joined NCAA program at 18).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39802251/portland-trail-blazers-rookie-duop-reath-unlikely-journey-nba

If portland hadn't converted his 2 way contract to full fledged 3 year nba contract, I would said I hope Wolves picked him up in off season lol
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,460

Post#2078 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Dude just has such a wide range of skills. Defended Kawhi and PG fairly well. 7 assists, 0 turnovers for a rookie PF/SF. Has shown that he can shoot the ball very well in the GLeague and is starting to get comfortable shooting in NBA games. Can rebound.

He has a ton of tools to work with. If he could put it all together on a consistent basis, he could be a very good player.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#2079 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs