Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,622

Re: Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated 

Post#721 » by Threezus » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:04 am

[quote="wco81"]If Hawks fans wanted Trae in the All-Star game, they could have voted him in.

Same thing for Knicks fans whining about Brunson not making it as starter.

But real fans still care about the All Star game? I know the stars want to hang out with their peers but honestly, rest is better.[/quote]

Im a bit confused by this one i think we voted quite a bit for him he was the #2 most voted guard in the league and ranked 2 in fan vote behind only Haliburton. We 100% voted alot for him but we can't beat every other fan base in the world also voting lol. It wasn't us fans that didn't vote for him it was the other players, media, and coaches who had him ranked alot lower.
Ruma85
Starter
And1: 935

Post#722 » by Ruma85 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:08 am

Threezus wrote:[quote="wco81"]If Hawks fans wanted Trae in the All-Star game, they could have voted him in.

Same thing for Knicks fans whining about Brunson not making it as starter.

But real fans still care about the All Star game? I know the stars want to hang out with their peers but honestly, rest is better.[[x][/x]/quote]

Im a bit confused by this one i think we voted quite a bit for him he was the #2 most voted guard in the league and ranked 2 in fan vote behind only Haliburton. We 100% voted alot for him but we can't beat every other fan base in the world also voting lol. It wasn't us fans that didn't vote for him it was the other players, media, and coaches who had him ranked alot lower.

Could he possibly make it as a reserve?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,213

Post#723 » by tsherkin » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

But again, -0.05% rTS. That scoring's a lot less impressive when you realize it's a little below league-average efficiency. Even more so when his defensive impact is considered alongside exactly how much other talent there is in the league. He's a pretty solid offensive player due to his playmaking, and on nights when he's clicking from 3, he's actually pretty dangerous, but he's also a sub-50% 2FG guy, and runs super hot and cold, so his actual utility on O is constrained by several things. That scoring average means only so much.

He didn't have the prettiest game against Toronto (aka he shot like stank), but he WAS still able to exert foul pressure and move the ball well, so there was that.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#724 » by The-Power » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:57 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Could you make the case for Young without simply referring to raw boxscore numbers?

Trae scores at around league average efficiency this year. That's not great for a volume scorer. Even with some ostensible improvement he remains an exploitable defender that overall adds negative value on that end. His team isn't good overall and does not do much better with him on the court either.

I'm not even saying he's definitely not an All-Star. But the notion that it would be completely unjustifiable to leave him out of the All-Star game and that such an act could only be explained by a widespread agenda against him is almost laughably insane.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#725 » by God Squad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't deserve to start.

Period.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#726 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:52 pm

57.9% TS is not impressive anymore, it's around league average. While obviously it's not the same to score at 58% TS with little volume and with mostly catch and shoot 3s than to do it with volume scoring, he is just not an elite scorer. For instance, he is well below league average in terms of eFG%.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,613

Post#727 » by NBA4Lyfe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:57 pm

the nba voters and nba media hates trae young because they invisioned trae trying to play more like steph curry when he was drafted by the hawks. Instead Trae chooses toi want to play like james harden. And the nba media and voters despise james harden
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#728 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:06 pm

NBA4Lyfe wrote:the nba voters and nba media hates trae young because they invisioned trae trying to play more like steph curry when he was drafted by the hawks. Instead Trae chooses toi want to play like james harden. And the nba media and voters despise james harden

nah...he just isn't that good. This isn't that complex..
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,075

Post#729 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm

25 PPG just ain't what it used to be.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,223

Post#730 » by dygaction » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Somewhat misleading considering that there are only 7 players averaged 25+/10+ in a season over the league history: Oscar/Nate Archibald/Michael Adams/Harden/Russell /LeBron/Trae; so if 3 out them did not start the all star, that means the correlation is not that strong and Trae made the all star starter the year before without having to be 25/10.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,453

Post#731 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:56 pm

dygaction wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Somewhat misleading considering that there are only 7 players averaged 25+/10+ in a season over the league history: Oscar/Nate Archibald/Michael Adams/Harden/Russell /LeBron/Trae; so if 3 out them did not start the all star, that means the correlation is not that strong and Trae made the all star starter the year before without having to be 25/10.

Thank you. Hawks Twitter is notorious for misleading Trae stats, which pretty much says what it needs to say.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#732 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:13 pm

dygaction wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Somewhat misleading considering that there are only 7 players averaged 25+/10+ in a season over the league history:

• Oscar
  • Nate Archibald
  • Michael Adams
  • Harden
  • Russell
  • LeBron
  • Trae

That's kind of the point.

It's an absurdly difficult level of production to achieve. The list of players to actually accomplish this includes 2 Hall of Famers, 4 NBA MVPs.

Yet Trae has managed to do it twice and couldn't even get an All Star nod for either season? :noway:

I fixed this for you:

ForeverTFC wrote:Thank you. HawksTwitter is notorious for misleading Trae stats, which pretty much says what it needs to say.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,223

Post#733 » by dygaction » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Somewhat misleading considering that there are only 7 players averaged 25+/10+ in a season over the league history:

• Oscar
  • Nate Archibald
  • Michael Adams
  • Harden
  • Russell
  • LeBron
  • Trae

That's kind of the point.

It's an absurdly difficult level of production to achieve. The list of players to actually accomplish this includes 2 Hall of Famers, 4 NBA MVPs.

Yet Trae has managed to do it twice and couldn't even get an All Star nod for either season? :noway:

I fixed this for you:

ForeverTFC wrote:Thank you. HawksTwitter is notorious for misleading Trae stats, which pretty much says what it needs to say.

I don't have a problem if Trae gets in by coach selection. The only criterion I consider all star is that whether a player should be in ahead of the other. Personally I think Brunson should be starter next to Hali ahead of Dame. Between Jalen and Trae, they are 0.2ppg apart
Brunson: 26.8/3.8/6.5; .48/.42/.84; 21.8PER, .19ws/48, 4.8BPM
Young: 27.0/2.9/10.9; .42/.37/.86; 20.8PER, .12ws/48, 3.0BPM
The numbers are close enough, but considering Jalen is playing for NYK, the much larger market, and bring the franchise to relevance again after so many years, I would not be mad if I were a Hawks fan.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#734 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:04 am

Saw it coming...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,103

Post#735 » by Johnny Tomala » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:23 am

He should have made ASG. He is so underrated. If he is not a replacement for Randle, Embiid then I have no words.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,213

Post#736 » by tsherkin » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:28 am

Johnny Tomala wrote:He should have made ASG. He is so underrated. If he is not a replacement for Randle, Embiid then I have no words.

"Underrated" is a big word.

A coaches' selection wouldn't be awful, but he 100% did not deserve to start.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,346

Post#737 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:43 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:the nba voters and nba media hates trae young because they invisioned trae trying to play more like steph curry when he was drafted by the hawks. Instead Trae chooses toi want to play like james harden. And the nba media and voters despise james harden

Harden had no problem making the all star game when he was Trae's age so I don't understand your point

Harden was very exciting to watch at one point.

I don't think anybody cares to tune into Hawks games To watch Trae. Boring team, that just isn't that good. 7 games under 500
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#738 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#739 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:32 pm

Help the team pick up more W's. Improve the shooting percentages. Start there, but with the former moreso.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,486

Post#740 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:37 pm

Haven't multiple players even come out and said he is overrated? If he was that good wouldn't the Hawks be in better shape considering they have 2 "all-stars" and multiple good role players.

Return to The General Board