Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,502

Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated 

Post#1 » by Pelly24 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:21 am

Just realized Trae isn't on this Team USA squad and he apparently wanted to play. Could be a political shoe thing. Could be his locker room presence.

But this is a guy who's very underrated. He's been to the conference finals, matched up well enough against the bucks before he got hurt, took two games from the Celtics in the playoffs this year. As far as his ability, he's impossible to contain because of his handles, speed and aggressiveness. He's able to hit shots out to 30 feet and can fill it up from midrange and the free throw line. One of the most creative and precise passers in the league.

If he were on the Heat, he'd be seen as better than Devin Booker and probably Donovan Mitchell. situation makes or breaks a lot of folks in the league as far as perception goes, but this guy to me is a clear top 20 player. Celtics would possibly win a chip with him instead of Jaylen Brown. This is a rare offensive talent that's being overshadowed by narratives.
CpttCanada
Junior
And1: 327

Re: Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated 

Post#2 » by CpttCanada » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:52 am

Pelly24 wrote:Just realized Trae isn't on this Team USA squad and he apparently wanted to play. Could be a political shoe thing. Could be his locker room presence.

But this is a guy who's very underrated. He's been to the conference finals, matched up well enough against the bucks before he got hurt, took two games from the Celtics in the playoffs this year. As far as his ability, he's impossible to contain because of his handles, speed and aggressiveness. He's able to hit shots out to 30 feet and can fill it up from midrange and the free throw line. One of the most creative and precise passers in the league.

If he were on the Heat, he'd be seen as better than Devin Booker and probably Donovan Mitchell. situation makes or breaks a lot of folks in the league as far as perception goes, but this guy to me is a clear top 20 player. Celtics would possibly win a chip with him instead of Jaylen Brown. This is a rare offensive talent that's being overshadowed by narratives.

I think you’re massively underrating how detrimental a negative personality and attitude is to a team, franchise, and winning as a whole. Having positive traits in those areas means everything, just as much as talent.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,761

Post#3 » by durden_tyler » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:54 am

Has he played any good defense yet? If not, he's just rightly rated-- offensive machine at times but a major liability on the other end. i can understand why Team USA won't include him in their line-up in this World Cup or any other future international competitions.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#4 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:04 am

Trae Young doesnt really do anything well but bait fouls and shoot FTs...

Poor FG% Poor 3pt% bad defender and led the league in turnovers...

Can he get better? Sure.

But as of now hes pretty lame.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,226

Post#5 » by brutalitops » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:21 am

If he was in the heat he would of been starting behind Vincent because he's ridiculously turnover prone and can't stand in front of anyone.

His assist to turnover ratio is worse then average and that's pretty shithouse for a guy who's going to run 80% of your offense.

He also doesn't move without the ball. Doesn't screen off ball for others. He's basically a negitive on offense without the ball, the. A huge liability defensively. He's not the same guy torching teams I. The east in the finals two years ago. It's frustrating because if he could even find himself to be below average defensively and even pretend to work off the ball offensively he would probably be close to all NBA selection. His ability to make deep 3's and great passes will only take him to scraping in All star selections. Nothing more

And saying Celtics would be champions with him instead of Brown? Holy **** I don't even think Atlanta homers would think that. Not that Browns a much better player, infact their skills are almost polar opposites, but the one who defends his ass off and works hard off ball, defends is going to be such a plus next to Tatum then a guy who's going to dribble the air out of it for 16 seconds then hope something happens.

If Quinn couldn't get him working hard off ball end of the year, I'm not sure how much you can blame the situation
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#6 » by realball » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:27 am

Young is ball dominant, not the kind of player you want on Team USA. Haliburton and Brunson play defense and can play off the ball.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#7 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:28 am

Just for fun lets compare Trae to other young PGs in the league...

Point guards with seasons of 4 or more turnovers a game?

0 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

LaMelo
Ja
Hali
Fox

1 season with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

2 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

3 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

4 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 494

Post#8 » by SeanieWard » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:32 am

I agree. Trae Young isn't a good defender by any means but the top PGs in the league aren't either. Luka, Steph, and Dame are all liabilities on defense many nights. Now Trae isn't as good as them but he's still a damn good player. He basically ruined the Embiid and Simmons led Philly team. No matter how bad Simmons played, if they go on to beat the Hawks, which they should have, that team might still be together today competing in the Eastern Conference but Trae took it to them and the rest is history. He also went into the Garden in the playoffs and silenced a very hostile crowd. Can he improve in efficiency and turnovers? Certainly but he's still big time imo
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#9 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:38 am

SeanieWard wrote:I agree. Trae Young isn't a good defender by any means but the top PGs in the league aren't either. Luka, Steph, and Dame are all liabilities on defense many nights. Now Trae isn't as good as them but he's still a damn good player. He basically ruined the Embiid and Simmons led Philly team. No matter how bad Simmons played, if they go on to beat the Hawks, which they should have, that team might still be together today competing in the Eastern Conference but Trae took it to them and the rest is history. He also went into the Garden in the playoffs and silenced a very hostile crowd. Can he improve in efficiency and turnovers? Certainly but he's still big time imo

I mean if we fixed every1s flaws they would get better... As of now Trae is one of the most flawed players in the league... And despite what you think hes a terrible playoff performer... Hes already one of those guys that gets worse in the playoffs... His already bad FG% gets worse...His already bad 3pt % gets worse and his already bad turnovers gets worse...
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#10 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:22 am

He’s a horrendous defender. He barely shot league average last year. He makes a ton of turnovers. He’s a good passer but it doesn’t undo the other things. I go the other way, he’s one of the most overrated players. He can be fun to watch at times but I don’t see how you are a real contender if he’s your best or even second best player. He would be great though with a pair of And 1 shoes playing the street ball circuit.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Pelly24 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:28 am

This is one of those situations where Trae will one day end up on a team that's actually good enough to compete, and then people will act like he's undergone some major transformation lol. Like, "He truly learned how to win" "he's really matured," etc. lol. Trae and Jimmy would have *eviscerated* the Celtics in 5 or 6 games (esp. if jimmy never hurt his ankle). If Trae were on the Sixers they probably would've made the finals by now. He's a bad defender, bad locker room presence maybe, but guys that can pass and hit shots like him and get to the line like him and get anywhere they want anytime they want like him are very, very rare talents. None of the guards taken over him fr this USA team have truly done more than he has, but there's recency bias.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#12 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:37 am

Pelly24 wrote:This is one of those situations where Trae will one day end up on a team that's actually good enough to compete, and then people will act like he's undergone some major transformation lol. Like, "He truly learned how to win" "he's really matured," etc. lol. Trae and Jimmy would have *eviscerated* the Celtics in 5 or 6 games (esp. if jimmy never hurt his ankle). If Trae were on the Sixers they probably would've made the finals by now. He's a bad defender, bad locker room presence maybe, but guys that can pass and hit shots like him and get to the line like him and get anywhere they want anytime they want like him are very, very rare talents. None of the guards taken over him fr this USA team have truly done more than he has, but there's recency bias.

I really cant tell if ur just trolling now...
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#13 » by Joshyjess » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:38 am

Counter Point - Trae Young is ridiculously overrated!
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Pelly24 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:03 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:This is one of those situations where Trae will one day end up on a team that's actually good enough to compete, and then people will act like he's undergone some major transformation lol. Like, "He truly learned how to win" "he's really matured," etc. lol. Trae and Jimmy would have *eviscerated* the Celtics in 5 or 6 games (esp. if jimmy never hurt his ankle). If Trae were on the Sixers they probably would've made the finals by now. He's a bad defender, bad locker room presence maybe, but guys that can pass and hit shots like him and get to the line like him and get anywhere they want anytime they want like him are very, very rare talents. None of the guards taken over him fr this USA team have truly done more than he has, but there's recency bias.

Lol this happens literally all the time, no matter how many times it unfolds this way, people will forget the lesson. Devin Booker went from an empty stats guy to a franchise talent, Kyrie went from a guy GMs didn't think deserved a max contract after his first three years to the second-best player on a championship team. Bradley Beal will go from a non-playoff contender to a squad with KD and Devin Booker, where he'll now be written about as a true winner who learned to win once he joined a team with two superstars. DeAaron Fox gets a good team and finally gets the respect he deserves. If he goes to the heat, Dame will be seen as a top 5 player by season's end, and people will act like he's changed his game significantly when really he just has an All-NBA teammate for the first time in 10 years.

You can mitigate locker room stuff and bad defense, but when it comes down to it, if there's a guy with elite offensive talent, you can always find a way to make them work on a great team.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#15 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:06 am

Pelly24 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:

Lol this happens literally all the time, no matter how many times it unfolds this way, people will forget the lesson. Devin Booker went from an empty stats guy to a franchise talent, Kyrie went from a guy GMs didn't think deserved a max contract after his first three years to the second-best player on a championship team. Bradley Beal will go from a non-playoff contender to a squad with KD and Devin Booker, where he'll now be written about as a true winner who learned to win once he joined a team with two superstars. DeAaron Fox gets a good team and finally gets the respect he deserves. If he goes to the heat, Dame will be seen as a top 5 player by season's end, and people will act like he's changed his game significantly when really he just has an All-NBA teammate for the first time in 10 years.

You can mitigate locker room stuff and bad defense, but when it comes down to it, if there's a guy with elite offensive talent, you can always find a way to make them work on a great team.

Just out of curiosity where do you rank Young as a player in this league? top 5? top 10?
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,663

Post#16 » by Clav » Mon Aug 7, 2023 8:12 am

He has to show improvement as a defender in any way possible. Right now we're entering his 6th year in the league, he's played against everyone professionally except the rookies, and he is still losing battles on defense each night. I'm looking for marginal improvements that's all I can hope for with TY. Fight more on screens, stay laterally sound, don't gamble and don't mope to the referees after a miss. He may never be a plus defender but if is league average the rest of his game will shine brighter.

Trae's best year as a defender could be right ahead of him but each year he has statistically posted a worse defensive rating per Basketball Reference. So I'm not holding my breath.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#17 » by JoseRizal » Mon Aug 7, 2023 9:48 am

Save for his lack of D due to his size and effort, if only Trae would learn how to play off ball, it will massively change the optics around him for the better.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,984

Post#18 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 10:19 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:Just for fun lets compare Trae to other young PGs in the league...

Point guards with seasons of 4 or more turnovers a game?

0 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

LaMelo
Ja
Hali
Fox

1 season with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

2 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

3 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

4 seasons with 4 or more turnovers a game:

Young

Stupid argument

Shaquille ONeal ft %

Season 1

Below 53%

Season 2

Below 53%

Season 3

Below 53%

You see how weak and baseless your argument is or you want me to explain this to you on apples ?
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,984

Post#19 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 10:22 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:Trae Young doesnt really do anything well but bait fouls and shoot FTs...

Can he get better? Sure.

Lame post

Typical for obese Internet forum warriors

Strike: Personal Attack/Baiting
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#20 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Aug 7, 2023 10:29 am

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:Trae Young doesnt really do anything well but bait fouls and shoot FTs...

Can he get better? Sure.

Lame post

Typical for obese Internet forum warriors

Im glad you think im a warrior...

I guess im doing my part...

Gotta stay humble tho...

Return to The General Board