Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Re: Trae Young is Ridiculously Underrated 

Post#781 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:15 am

Rainwater wrote:
Signing Trae to a huge contract would be a massive mistake even if traded.

Don't know about that. His biggest issue is that Atlanta asks him to be a high-volume scorer, and he has massive variance based on his 3pt shooting due to his size. If he went someplace where he didn't need to score 27+ ppg a night, then his value might be well-placed...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#782 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:22 am

They have to sign him if he's still on the team. They can't let an all star just walk for nothing

But a big contract may make him tougher to trade.
Gus Fring
Pro Prospect
And1: 875

Post#783 » by Gus Fring » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:52 am

If the Hawks want the biggest return, they should trade Trae to the Spurs this offseason. If they tank, they're looking at least 2 lottery picks plus this years probable lottery pick and another potential lottery pick in 2027. They're not getting that from anyone else. If they keep Trae, their picks that the Spurs own only get worse and so do the Spurs own picks.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#784 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:17 am

Jamaaliver wrote:He is officially among the greatest PGs of All Time -- at age 25!!!

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:

That's nonsense since the league has him as a borderline all-star.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#785 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:27 am

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:He is officially among the greatest PGs of All Time -- at age 25!!!

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:

That's nonsense since the league has him as a borderline all-star.

Yeah, it's... a bit excessive, though. Raw APG average doesn't really an ATG make, and he's played 6 seasons, so that PPG average is also likely to come down as he ages. He's 6'1; little dudes tend not to age well as scorers, and it's been a couple years since he wasn't hovering right at or a little below league-average efficiency.

Big numbers, though. He's talented, of that there can be no doubt, but a little context does go a long way.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#786 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:45 am

tsherkin wrote:
HMFFL wrote:That's nonsense since the league has him as a borderline all-star.

Yeah, it's... a bit excessive, though. Raw APG average doesn't really an ATG make, and he's played 6 seasons, so that PPG average is also likely to come down as he ages. He's 6'1; little dudes tend not to age well as scorers, and it's been a couple years since he wasn't hovering right at or a little below league-average efficiency.

Big numbers, though. He's talented, of that there can be no doubt, but a little context does go a long way.

You can add all the context you want.

But he's literally listed among the greatest PGs of all time in the record books. :dontknow:

Hundreds of PGs have come into the league this century. Making it onto this list is a hell of an accomplishment.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#787 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:51 am

Jamaaliver wrote:But he's literally listed among the greatest PGs of all time in the record books. :dontknow:

Hundreds of PGs have come into the league this century. Making it onto this list is a hell of an accomplishment.

Sure, but when you're discussing averages, you should be considering length of career as well. It is, naturally, easier to maintain a higher average over a short career than a long one, so we'll see what happens at the end. And of course again with the scoring, raw volume means only so much without further examination, and aging is of some consequence there too for someone his size.

Like I said, it's nifty, but it's also only so relevant because it's dealing in bulk averages.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#788 » by kg01 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:52 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
HMFFL wrote:That's nonsense since the league has him as a borderline all-star.

You can add all the context you want.

But he's literally listed among the greatest PGs of all time in the record books. :dontknow:

I will never understand the rush to discredit whatever the guy does as if it's easy.
king01 :king:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#789 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:53 am

kg01 wrote:I will never understand the rush to discredit whatever the guy does as if it's easy.

It isn't about discrediting, and it isn't about him specifically. It's about what those numbers actually mean and what the phrasing of a given post implies. Trae's very good, but the implication here that he's one of the greatest PGs in league history is off.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#790 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:07 am

tsherkin wrote:Trae's very good, but the implication here that he's one of the greatest PGs in league history is off.

Among...he is listed among the greatest in the NBA record books....

(Cheez and Rice, tsherkin)
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#791 » by kg01 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:19 am

tsherkin wrote:
kg01 wrote:I will never understand the rush to discredit whatever the guy does as if it's easy.

It isn't about discrediting, and it isn't about him specifically. It's about what those numbers actually mean and what the phrasing of a given post implies. Trae's very good, but the implication here that he's one of the greatest PGs in league history is off.

It's like you're tryna stop someone from saying something they're not actually saying though.

Nothing wrong with celebrating what the guys doing. Doesn't mean folks are puttin the proverbial hundred on 10 - meaning saying too much.
king01 :king:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#792 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:40 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Among...he is listed among the greatest in the NBA record books....

(Cheez and Rice, tsherkin)

Yeah, listed with an incomplete career...

kg01 wrote:It's like you're tryna stop someone from saying something they're not actually saying though.

Nothing wrong with celebrating what the guys doing. Doesn't mean folks are puttin the proverbial hundred on 10 - meaning saying too much.

Yeah, but this is the Gen Board, not the Hawks board. And so there will sometimes be responses that aren't celebration of every little detail of a given player's career at times.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,645

Post#793 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:05 am

If I were the Hawks, I would highly consider Trading Trae this summer. They seem to be better defensively, and they are a 6-5 without him. The latter claim may not seem like much but if the Hawks can get player who is just bit more efficient, I believe that may do wonders for the hawks.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,498

Post#794 » by Pelly24 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 am

Trae Young is an all-star, probably fringe all-nba level guard. He's yet to play with a legitimate all-star teammate that fits with him. I truthfully don't think hes worse than DeAaron Fox, and I would be very interested to see how he'd do in the position Jalen Brunson is in. People here were acting like he wasn't talented and like his style wasn't conducive to winning, but in almost every conversation like that, it usually comes down to team construction. People will say, "it''s hard to win with so and so as your No. 1 or No. 2," but in general, it's super hard to win a championship anyway. You need to have one of the greatest players of all time on your squad to do so, so not being one of those isn't a flaw, it just means you need to get one of those players. But even one of those players still need an all-nba teammate and a decent to strong supporting cast. These guys don't just miraculously become better players once they start winning big; most of the time it's because of roster improvements. I would hold off any final judgments about trae until he's got a legit squad, but my point was that his conference finals runs and playoff performances and offensive numbers point toward a legit all-star player.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,645

Post#795 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:28 am

Pelly24 wrote:Trae Young is an all-star, probably fringe all-nba level guard. He's yet to play with a legitimate all-star teammate that fits with him. I truthfully don't think hes worse than DeAaron Fox, and I would be very interested to see how he'd do in the position Jalen Brunson is in. People here were acting like he wasn't talented and like his style wasn't conducive to winning, but in almost every conversation like that, it usually comes down to team construction. People will say, "it''s hard to win with so and so as your No. 1 or No. 2," but in general, it's super hard to win a championship anyway. You need to have one of the greatest players of all time on your squad to do so, so not being one of those isn't a flaw, it just means you need to get one of those players. But even one of those players still need an all-nba teammate and a decent to strong supporting cast. These guys don't just miraculously become better players once they start winning big; most of the time it's because of roster improvements. I would hold off any final judgments about trae until he's got a legit squad, but my point was that his conference finals runs and playoff performances and offensive numbers point toward a legit all-star player.

I just don't think Trae is meant to be "the guy" on a winning basketball team. I think he is meant to be a second or third option. I think he would fit well next to Wemby. Trae could play side kick while Wemby makes up for his flaws.

And aren't Trae and Brunson in pretty similar situations? Brunson is just a better player at this point.
epfou1
Sophomore
And1: 193

Post#796 » by epfou1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 am

Pelly24 wrote:Trae Young is an all-star, probably fringe all-nba level guard. He's yet to play with a legitimate all-star teammate that fits with him.

A lot of that is on Trae, regarding fit. He refuses to play off the ball. That's why Trae-Dejounte pairing doesn't work.

Dejounte can play off the ball. For Trae, he would rather sit in a corner and not move, when Dejounte brings up the ball.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,498

Post#797 » by Pelly24 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 am

Rainwater wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:Trae Young is an all-star, probably fringe all-nba level guard. He's yet to play with a legitimate all-star teammate that fits with him. I truthfully don't think hes worse than DeAaron Fox, and I would be very interested to see how he'd do in the position Jalen Brunson is in. People here were acting like he wasn't talented and like his style wasn't conducive to winning, but in almost every conversation like that, it usually comes down to team construction. People will say, "it''s hard to win with so and so as your No. 1 or No. 2," but in general, it's super hard to win a championship anyway. You need to have one of the greatest players of all time on your squad to do so, so not being one of those isn't a flaw, it just means you need to get one of those players. But even one of those players still need an all-nba teammate and a decent to strong supporting cast. These guys don't just miraculously become better players once they start winning big; most of the time it's because of roster improvements. I would hold off any final judgments about trae until he's got a legit squad, but my point was that his conference finals runs and playoff performances and offensive numbers point toward a legit all-star player.

I just don't think Trae is meant to be "the guy" on a winning basketball team. I think he is meant to be a second or third option. I think he would fit well next to Wemby. Trae could play side kick while Wemby makes up for his flaws.

And aren't Trae and Brunson in pretty similar situations? Brunson is just a better player at this point.

I think you could argue that Brunson is a better player, for sure, but the Knicks are a really well-built team. Julius is better than anyone Trae has ever played with. They just feel like a perfectly constructed roster for someone with Brunson's strengths. Good defense, good secondary ball handlers, great No. 2 option (for a playoff team, not a contender), Deuce McBride, etc.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#798 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 am

epfou1 wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:Trae Young is an all-star, probably fringe all-nba level guard. He's yet to play with a legitimate all-star teammate that fits with him.

A lot of that is on Trae, regarding fit. He refuses to play off the ball. That's why Trae-Dejounte pairing doesn't work.

Dejounte can play off the ball. For Trae, he would rather sit in a corner and not move, when Dejounte brings up the ball.

People saying Trae should play off ball are being silly. You don't ask one of the GOAT passing PGs to play off ball. You let them have the ball and CREATE
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#799 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:01 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
epfou1 wrote:

People saying Trae should play off ball are being silly. You don't ask one of the GOAT passing PGs to play off ball. You let them have the ball and CREATE

I mean, enjoy mediocrity. This is not a shot at Trae more than it is the reality of the NBA. One dimensional players don't lead you to titles.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,800

Post#800 » by hauntedcomputer » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:30 pm

My biggest nightmare is four years of wasted Wemby trying to cover for this dude chucking league-average threes and hogging the rock.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

Return to The General Board