Wemby DPOY

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wemby DPOY his rookie season?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 240

MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 561

Re: Wemby DPOY 

Post#81 » by MMyhre » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:41 am

lambchop wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
Frankie wrote:
The Wemby hype is bound to create a few haters along the way. It comes with the territory. Wemby is looking exactly like what we feared he would be. He got cooked last night by another good young player, that happens. He'll have his chance to revenge this game pretty soon as we see each other again in a few games.

Lol. As if the Wemby hype isn`t creating hate and junk the other way (bashing Chet Holmgren with subjective narratives) and that`s causing hostility back. You dish it you better take it back, and its actually a bit pathetic how many kids stand with the "cool kid" in class in Wemby and bully, belittle and make fun of Chet Holmgren.

I try to detach Wemby from his fans, because he seems pretty clear headed from the little I have seen, but there is some schadenfreude when he fails, and thats not because of him. Lets hope he doesn`t get caught up in the hype and gets arrogant and as complacent as some of his fans, or we can hope so because he will become a worse player if he turns the Shaq route instead of the Kobe route you can say.. It seems like he knows though, he isnt happy with losing and he knows there is a long road ahead. That`s why I see his potential as very high, not because of what he is showing already.

His fans and the premature labels are definitely going to generate hate. He's currently the best player on the worst team in his conference and top 3 worst in the league in a year where we have a historically bad team (pistons) and then the Wizards.

Wemby has insane DPOY potential. Like pretty much all modern Cs he still has some krytonite. With Rudy it's the small ball lineups and with Wemby it seems to be skilled bigs that are strong and patient. AD also had a good time against Wemby. All it really takes is one shot fake, a shoulder and then the ability to dunk off vert and then those guys can score on him. But most bigs can't to that, so it's a reason for concern imo.

Yeah. He should watch Gobert/KG/Russell and greats before him, how they read and move. It`s all about sharp, quick instincts and ability to read plays. He is still so raw, and he seems a bit awkward moving on the defensive end at times, he can be SO terrifying if he gets quicker at both moving and reading plays and fine tunes his defensive instincts. My god. I think he will be unparalleled... BUT he isn`t there yet. Things don`t always happen the way we think, but I like the growth mindset, that shows more than anything physical (Bol Bol and Shaq disagreeing with me right now).
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#82 » by jfs1000d » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:00 pm

No. he mat be worthy, but teams sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#83 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:09 pm

Here are the odds and Rudy is a large favorite right now.

Rudy Gobert -700 (FD), -800 (MGM)
Wemby +900 (FD), +650 (MGM)

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#84 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:18 pm

Neither he nor the team is ready for DPOY yet, but man he is averaging 4.2 blocks and 2 steals per game since Feb started. That's trending up too, and I honestly think 5bpg might be sustainable for a while.

Still gonna take him some time to figure out how to anchor the D and for the team to build that around him. His free agent roaming stuff is great but just doesn't make the same impact a scheme anchor does.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#85 » by tsherkin » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:05 pm

HotelVitale wrote:Neither he nor the team is ready for DPOY yet, but man he is averaging 4.2 blocks and 2 steals per game since Feb started. That's trending up too, and I honestly think 5bpg might be sustainable for a while.

Still gonna take him some time to figure out how to anchor the D and for the team to build that around him. His free agent roaming stuff is great but just doesn't make the same impact a scheme anchor does.

You have to play on a team of competent defenders in order for their to be a scheme which works. This team was the worst defense in the league last season, and he's basically the only meaningful change apart from Devonte Graham and Poeltl signing with Toronto.

They're 24th in the league on D and 2 points of DRTG better than last season. That's a pretty meaningful achievement. Perhaps not DPOY-worthy just yet, but San Antonio is -7.4 worse when he's sitting, defensively. He's definitely one to watch.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 568

Post#86 » by Gregoire » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:53 am

Potential - yes, of course.
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,956

Post#87 » by Eagle4 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:41 am

Next year.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,244

Post#88 » by SNPA » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:42 am

Eagle4 wrote:Next year.

And for many years to follow.
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 247

Post#89 » by Handlez » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:46 am

A DPOY would get his team wins.

This is crazy hype talk.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:33 pm

Handlez wrote:A DPOY would get his team wins.

This is crazy hype talk.

That's not how this works, though. What actually happens is that they typically select the DPOY from a winning team, but if your team can't manage offense and its starting point was "worst defense in the league," you could be the best defender in the league and lift them only so far.

Bad logic.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 602

Post#91 » by Chokic » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:37 pm

Hes not going to but he's already by far the best defensive player in the league as a rookie.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,171

Post#92 » by moderndarwin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:27 pm

This is crazy hype talk.

Rudy Gobert on that team would absolutely not lead to more wins. Nor would any other candidate.

He’s being penalized severely for how absolutely trash his teammates are. It is what it is but defense relies on having good offense + having plus defenders at all positions.

It’s why Dubs went from awful at defense to so good lately. Their lineup now is Steph with 4 very good to great defenders usually. The modern nba requires a lot and Wemby is the closest i’ve seen in a long time to being a one man wrecking crew on defense.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:39 pm

moderndarwin wrote:

This is crazy hype talk.

Rudy Gobert on that team would absolutely not lead to more wins. Nor would any other candidate.

He’s being penalized severely for how absolutely trash his teammates are. It is what it is but defense relies on having good offense + having plus defenders at all positions.

It’s why Dubs went from awful at defense to so good lately. Their lineup now is Steph with 4 very good to great defenders usually. The modern nba requires a lot and Wemby is the closest i’ve seen in a long time to being a one man wrecking crew on defense.

It's a near-equivalent of bitching that Jordan only got his team to 38 wins as a rookie, a year after they won 27 games. Even though they were +6.3 on offense that season.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#94 » by D.Brasco » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:42 pm

This is crazy hype talk.

Exactly. There is more to being a defensive anchor than block and steal numbers. A true defensive force impacts the teams performance.

Wemby is amazing for a rookie but let's hold off on this DPOY talks.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:44 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

This is crazy hype talk.

Exactly. There is more to being a defensive anchor than block and steal numbers. A true defensive force impacts the teams performance.

This still isn't really an intelligent angle of debate, though. It's very much ignorant of context. The Spurs were the WORST defense in the league last year. Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson... any of those guys would be struggling to bootstrap this team's defense a great deal. And Wemby is clearly and specifically exerting a large defensive impact.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#96 » by sca » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:07 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

This is crazy hype talk.

I, too, thought that his defensive heroics were not translating to actual impact, until I saw the numbers. With Wemby on the floor, the Spurs are as good as the 13th-ranked defensive team in the league (115.0 DRTG).

With Wemby off the floor, the Spurs are by far the worst defensive team in the league (122.4 DRTG).
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,572

Post#97 » by SweaterBae » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:11 pm

Sixers in 4 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Sixers in 4 wrote:It's all about health as Embiid and Kawhi can tell you. With that frame he needs to bulk up.

My hope is he is able to add bulk before suffering a serious injury.

there's no need for him to bulk up, def not right away and certainly not in a major way. a bit of bulk, sure but it'll happen as he acclimates himself to the NBA lifestyle, he's just 19..

Age has nothing to do with it. Chet also looked dominant and then got injured. His listed weight is basically the same despite being taller.

He will be playing against guys 30-40 pounds heavier every night with a much lower center of gravity. That is going to take its toll. Golbert is what 260 at 7-1. That should be the minimum especially if he wants to be extremely active on the defensive end fighting for rebounds and operating as a rim defender. Last I heard his reported weight was 210.

Broad strokes like this are ridiculous. These guys should play at the weight that allows them to be the best player possible for the role they have on their team.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,333

Post#98 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:05 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:He won't reach the 65 game minimum to be eligible, at least not this season.

In the future as he bulks up, learns the game, and the Spurs let him loose a bit more he will likely win DPOY.

56 games played so far, with 19 remaining (out tonight with ankle sprain). Only needs to play in about half of the remaining games. Seems like he will hit 65 despite the coaching staff coddling him like a china doll all season :)
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#99 » by D.Brasco » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:17 pm

tsherkin wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:

This is crazy hype talk.

This still isn't really an intelligent angle of debate, though. It's very much ignorant of context. The Spurs were the WORST defense in the league last year. Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson... any of those guys would be struggling to bootstrap this team's defense a great deal. And Wemby is clearly and specifically exerting a large defensive impact.

I'm not saying he has no positive impact on the team defense but he is on a pretty bad team right now 13-49, I think that is a legitimate factor to consider for awards like the DPOY and MVP.

Do you think Wemby should be the DPOY at this stage?

I can see it his future but no, not this year.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:19 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Do you think Wemby should be the DPOY at this stage?

I do.

For clarity's sake, I am not arguing against the idea that he isn't the DPOY. There are other guys who are valid choices as well.

My contention is that looking at team record is stupid, even if that's what most awards end up doing anyway.

Return to The General Board