Wemby DPOY

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wemby DPOY his rookie season?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 240

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,682

Re: Wemby DPOY 

Post#121 » by Dez » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:10 pm

Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:
Maybe not the best defender in the league but certainly better than a 19-old rookie. I am not sure who holds the unlogical position here. If you said Wemby has the higher ceiling on defense I d be on board with you. But to say he is better right now than some of the best defenders in the league seems way to premature especially given the team's poor record and defense rating.

It's you, clearly you.

Why? I not the one holding the position that a 19 year old rookie on the third worst defensive team in the league is potentially DPOY. That’s an objectively ridiculous assertion.

You're also not grasping the impact he has on the Spurs defense when he's on and off the floor. Instead you're focusing on the team defense and ignoring the whole "Defensive PLAYER of the Year" thing.
Miami_Lux
Sixth Man
And1: 2,485

Post#122 » by Miami_Lux » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:30 pm

Dez wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:
It's you, clearly you.

Why? I not the one holding the position that a 19 year old rookie on the third worst defensive team in the league is potentially DPOY. That’s an objectively ridiculous assertion.

You're also not grasping the impact he has on the Spurs defense when he's on and off the floor. Instead you're focusing on the team defense and ignoring the whole "Defensive PLAYER of the Year" thing.

I think debating whether Wemby has a great impact on the Spurs defense is a separate discussion from whether he should be DPOY. I m not disagreeing with his impact on defense, I m simply contending the notion that you give DPOY to someone who plays almost 30MPG on a team with a 13-50 record. Call me crazy I know…
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,335

Post#123 » by Bornstellar » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:11 pm

Defensive PLAYER of the Year should be about a PLAYER's individual impact on defense without considering their TEAM record or TEAM defense. As other's have pointed, the Spurs are decent overall when he is on the court and plummet to all-time level bad when he is off the court. There is also the offensive side of the court which the Spurs aside Wemby are equally inept at. It's not hard to understand why they can't win games. Gobert is obviously an elite defensive player but he has elite offensive players around him along with elite defenders as well. Wemby has no such luxury, not even close. The fact that he can make one of the worst teams ever on defense respectable while he is out there is proof enough of his impact. It's not his fault no one else can guard a wet paper bag on one side of the court and can't hit the ocean from a boat on the other end
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#124 » by 165bows » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:17 pm

Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:

I think debating whether Wemby has a great impact on the Spurs defense is a separate discussion from whether he should be DPOY. I m not disagreeing with his impact on defense, I m simply contending the notion that you give DPOY to someone who plays almost 30MPG on a team with a 13-50 record. Call me crazy I know…

KG improved the Celtics defense by an 8 ppg margin. Spurs defense overall is nearly the same as last year. It’s just a silly over exaggeration that he’s at that level now.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,011

Post#125 » by Loneshot » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:41 pm

165bows wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:

KG improved the Celtics defense by an 8 ppg margin. Spurs defense overall is nearly the same as last year. It’s just a silly over exaggeration that he’s at that level now.

You can't expect him to guard all five opposing players at once. KG went to a Boston team that already had good defenders.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#126 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:06 pm

Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:

Right, but here, you're repeating your mistake again and again, right? Yes, it's a common media bias for such an award to go to a winning team, but that doesn't necessarily make sense. Frequently, the player is ON a winning team, but they need to have something to work with other than themselves. When they were as bad as the Spurs were last year and largely unchanged, even the best of players is only going to do so much for them. And that shouldn't actually preclude them from recognition.

So yeah, basically, that's crazy.
TimDunkin
Freshman
And1: 130

Post#127 » by TimDunkin » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:13 pm

Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:

That's the first time you made the minutes per game argument, which I think is a very defensible position to take. Relying solely on team record and team defensive stats is what I think led to most people arguing with your take.

For what it's worth, I don't think he should get DPOY this year. I do think he should be on one of the all-NBA defensive teams though.

Edit: For the minutes per game argument, Wemby averages roughly 29. Gobert averages roughly 34. Jarrett Allen roughly 31.5. Those are the top 3 odds for DPOY right now.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,292

Post#128 » by WestGOAT » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:12 am

TimDunkin wrote:
Miami_Lux wrote:
Dez wrote:

That's the first time you made the minutes per game argument, which I think is a very defensible position to take. Relying solely on team record and team defensive stats is what I think led to most people arguing with your take.

For what it's worth, I don't think he should get DPOY this year. I do think he should be on one of the all-NBA defensive teams though.

Edit: For the minutes per game argument, Wemby averages roughly 29. Gobert averages roughly 34. Jarrett Allen roughly 31.5. Those are the top 3 odds for DPOY right now.

Wemby arguably has the potential to show us what the max capacity a single player can have on defense, since probably.. Bill Russell. He's not there yet though, and I think it's fair to highlight his limited minutes compared to other defensive anchors, adjusted minutes per the total number of games played by their respective team:

25.6 mpg Vic
28.9 mpg Allen
29.1 mpg Bam
29.7 mpg Lopez
32.8 mpg Gobert

Its not a fair comparison to simply look at raw mpg, don't think Victor should get a pass for missing games.
spotted in Bologna
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 252

Post#129 » by Handlez » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am

Amazing what insane hype can do.

People trying to give a dpoy award to a dude on a 13-49 team.

This that tik tok snapchat youtube twitter Instagram Facebook LinkedIn new age hype haha.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,171

Post#130 » by moderndarwin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:29 pm

So it appears clear he’s DPOY. Lot of egg on peoples face these days doubting my early proclamation.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1771175907517960260%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#131 » by Rust_Cohle » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:40 pm

moderndarwin wrote:So it appears clear he’s DPOY. Lot of egg on peoples face these days doubting my early proclamation.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1771175907517960260%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

No player in the entire league has his team drop off more when he sits than Wemby. I am okay if Gobert gets DPOY, but Wemby absolutely has a case for it.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,429

Post#132 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:54 pm

moderndarwin wrote:So it appears clear he’s DPOY. Lot of egg on peoples face these days doubting my early proclamation.

Read on Twitter

I think Wemby is a great DPOY candidate. You can't watch him and not think he's amongst the biggest defensive forces in the league.

On the flip side, there's basically no precendent to a DPOY coming from a team that isn't a top 5 defense. Alvin Robertson (ironically also on the Spurs!) in 1986. Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning in the year they repeated as DPOY. Hasn't happened in 25 years, basically.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,369

Post#133 » by Ambrose » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:09 pm

I'd still give it to Gobert. Wemby is incredible but he wasn't this guy all season long, he's drastically improved throughout the season. I won't be upset if he wins it, he's that good, but I think Rudy has been the best overall defensive player this season.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,171

Post#134 » by moderndarwin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:55 pm

Hes got more blocks since the all star game than 8 teams! I think if a rookie were scoring 45 ppg he’d be in running for MVP. That’s how absolutely insane his blocks are in the modern nba. He’s doing it a level that is absolutely different than everyone else. We’re severely underplaying what he’s doing and frankly it’s not fair to him.

Usually first 2-3 season are some of the highest BPG because players eventually realize to simply not attack him because it’s embarrassing.

We’re also discounting steals per game. Hes at 3.5 bpg and 1.3 spg. No one is even remotely close to those numbers.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 354

Post#135 » by Bloodbather » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Gobert deserves it. Comparable impact and his team has been ranked #1 defensively pretty much the whole season. Though Wemby would definitely a have strong case if Gobert wasn't around, which is crazy considering how low his team ranks. The on-off is insane.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#136 » by fateis007 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:02 pm

Id give it to someone like Jalen Suggs, he has had the #1 defensive rating since all star break on a top 2 defensive team on a playoff team.

People are obsessed with blocks from bigs, but come on. You stand in the paint, and have alien like arms, you're athletic, and 7'5. Ofcourse you are going to get a bunch of blocks and steals.

But how about actually having to guards these insanely athletic guard all game long 1 on 1 from outside the paint?

Put Wemby on the 3 point line and have him guarding some of these explosive guards all game, he would be done for.

Not saying he's not an elite defender. He is, no doubt, but it seems like it's 10x easier for him then a guard to have a defensive impact.

I think guys like Marcus smart, Jalen suggs, that put their bodies on the line and play with exausting effort deserve more recognition.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,477

Post#137 » by PD28 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:13 pm

Has a player ever won DPOY with a below 20 win season record lol?
C0bR
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#138 » by C0bR » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:14 pm

I'd be impressed with the runaway block numbers if they translated to runaway rim protection numbers. But they don't, so there is definitely some block chasing going on.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-lt6
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#139 » by BDM22 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:32 pm

fateis007 wrote:Id give it to someone like Jalen Suggs, he has had the #1 defensive rating since all star break on a top 2 defensive team on a playoff team.

People are obsessed with blocks from bigs, but come on. You stand in the paint, and have alien like arms, you're athletic, and 7'5. Ofcourse you are going to get a bunch of blocks and steals.

But how about actually having to guards these insanely athletic guard all game long 1 on 1 from outside the paint?

Put Wemby on the 3 point line and have him guarding some of these explosive guards all game, he would be done for.

Not saying he's not an elite defender. He is, no doubt, but it seems like it's 10x easier for him then a guard to have a defensive impact.

I think guys like Marcus smart, Jalen suggs, that put their bodies on the line and play with exausting effort deserve more recognition.

It's about who has the biggest defensive impact, not who tries the hardest. There's a reason it's mostly big men that win the award. They are just in a position to make a larger impact on defense.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,988

Post#140 » by zimpy27 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm

Bloodbather wrote:Gobert deserves it. Comparable impact and his team has been ranked #1 defensively pretty much the whole season. Though Wemby would definitely a have strong case if Gobert wasn't around, which is crazy considering how low his team ranks. The on-off is insane.

Who is backing up Wemby when he sits?

Spurs just have no other bigs that are even average defenders. Spurs are a non-serious team and are poor defensively.

You can't win a DPOY without your team being a top 10 defensive team. You'd have to have unbelievable defensive numbers to even win it without your team being top 5.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board