Wemby DPOY

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wemby DPOY his rookie season?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 240

moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,171

Re: Wemby DPOY 

Post#61 » by moderndarwin » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:17 pm

Yall are nuts lol. Hes easily the best defender in the league for the games. He controls whole sides of the floor and is as unattackable at the rim as they come. He has terrible team so of course the overall defensive ratings etc won’t be good. When u miss shots and have to play transition defense that’s not really any indication of defensive ability. Those counting stats numbers he is putting up are insane. And can’t discount it by saying other stuff. And the odds makers agree. He’s rapidly moving up the chart with Rudy holding a slight edge only now.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,333

Post#62 » by Bornstellar » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:36 pm

Let's be real. He won't win because of narrative but he is the best defensive player in the league already. No player forces the offense to adjust like Wemby does and he plays with basically nothing but terrible defensive players. The fact the Spurs have been middle of the pack since Collins got benched and Wemby has them as a top defense while he's on the court is nuts. If you watch the Spurs and see how terrible the team is as a whole on defense it's incredible how much he alone impacts their defense

Multiple DPOYs is a given at this point
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,363

Post#63 » by CIN-C-STAR » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:37 pm

I doubt he gets it just because, 1) team is terrible, 2) he's a rookie and there's this old-school dues-paying mentality still prevalent, and 3) he's also likely to get RoY and voters are typical remiss to vote for the same guy for two different awards, preferring to spread the wealth (not always, but typically).

But even more interesting to me, where would you guys put the over/under on career DPOY awards for him?
I said 4.5 earlier, which seemed insane, but now I think even that is too low.
5.5? His defensive potential is unreal.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,708

Post#64 » by shrink » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:02 pm

brutalitops wrote:
moderndarwin wrote:Okay guys come on - I called it. Hes a generationally good defender it’s absolutely insane. He is clearly the DPOY.

In his last 8 games he’s gotten:
10, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5, 6 (today)

This is seriously insane. This is as impressive as scoring 40 pts each game for 8 in a row if not much more impressive.

He’s making it look like childs play out there.

I think hes the 4th best defensive center, He's going to eclipse Rudy's record of DPOY trophies by the halfway point of his career potentially

but calling him DPOY for this year is insane and I insist you please watch basketball. Please just watch the sport. His block rate IS insane, but there are things he does which are more impressive then just numbers, but also things he really needs to work on to be as well rounded as guys like Allen, Davis, Bam and Gobert

I agree with the sentiment, but if Gobert wins it this year, it will be his fourth, tying Mutumbo and Ben Wallace.

Gobert is likely to get more votes this year. His team is near the top of the charts, and it’s there because of its defense. All defensive numbers are rising, but MIN’s gap over #2 is one of the largest in NBA history. Gobert’s 104 DRtg individually leads the league by a large gap (104.0 vs 106.7 for #2 Evan Mobley and 107.4 for Wemby). And on top of this, defense is a team goal, and Gobert is calling out the defensive moves for the whole team.

No doubt Wemby has been amazing, and I agree he has the chance to get more than four DPOY’s during his career. But this season Gobert has been resurgent, and that’s no slight on Wemby.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 902

Post#65 » by FreeBird23 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:04 pm

He is going to win some DPOY awards in his career.

But this season, Gobert is the one. What he is doing with Minny is insane
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#66 » by brutalitops » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:07 am

shrink wrote:
brutalitops wrote:
moderndarwin wrote:Okay guys come on - I called it. Hes a generationally good defender it’s absolutely insane. He is clearly the DPOY.

In his last 8 games he’s gotten:
10, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5, 6 (today)

This is seriously insane. This is as impressive as scoring 40 pts each game for 8 in a row if not much more impressive.

He’s making it look like childs play out there.

I think hes the 4th best defensive center, He's going to eclipse Rudy's record of DPOY trophies by the halfway point of his career potentially

but calling him DPOY for this year is insane and I insist you please watch basketball. Please just watch the sport. His block rate IS insane, but there are things he does which are more impressive then just numbers, but also things he really needs to work on to be as well rounded as guys like Allen, Davis, Bam and Gobert

I agree with the sentiment, but if Gobert wins it this year, it will be his fourth, tying Mutumbo and Ben Wallace.

But Gobert is likely to get the votes. His team is near the top of the charts, and it’s there because of its defense. All defensive numbers are rising, but MIN’s gap over #2 is one of the largest in NBA history. Gobert’s 104 DRtg individually leads the league by a large gap (104.0 vs 106.7 for #2 Evan Mobley and 107.4 for Wemby). And on top of this, defense is a team goal, and Gobert is calling out the defensive moves for the whole team.

No doubt Wemby has been amazing, and I agree he has the chance to break the DPOY record during his career. But this season Gobert has been resurgent, and that’s no slight on Wemby.

Yeah I have Gobert as well. He's been playing a lot more on the perimeter and with the wolves team having Jaden who's an all D candidate and another great defender in Edwards, plus Conley who's pretty clever and KAT who has been good he's been trusted more to switch, use his length to hide passing lanes and isn't having to purely protect the rim in a single scheme covering weak defenders like he did at the Jazz. Which means he's not challenging guys at the rim as much as he did at Utah because KAT has a wingspan of 7'3", McDaniels at 7 foot, then you have NAW/Edwards who are also long

Pop tried a similar thing with hoping Sochan at PG and Collins at C could let Wemby roam a little more, but they really sucked and had to revert back. Which I mean, they look a lot better so it had to happen. But Wemby doesn't have the cast like Gobert has to really showcase everything he can do. I think give him another 4 years and he'll be a multiple time winner of the DPOY
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,855

Post#67 » by Exp0sed » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:16 pm

I don't get what ur saying
does he have DPOY potential? lmfao, ofc he does. he might get there as soon as next season and almost def by his 3rd season imo

currently this season I think he's about 5th (and climbing) but hard to imagine he can make up ground in the last month

next season he'd be a front runner probably
the mere fact that he's in the conversation as a rookie on a team with 15 wins tells u all u need to know
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,800

Post#68 » by hauntedcomputer » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:43 pm

I remember the Gobert trade threads where people were saying Walker Kessler was the "same thing" as Gobert
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,801

Post#69 » by greg4012 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:43 pm

Exp0sed wrote:I don't get what ur saying
does he have DPOY potential? lmfao, ofc he does. he might get there as soon as next season and almost def by his 3rd season imo

currently this season I think he's about 5th (and climbing) but hard to imagine he can make up ground in the last month

next season he'd be a front runner probably
the mere fact that he's in the conversation as a rookie on a team with 15 wins tells u all u need to know

And what you need to know is the sad fact that narrative rules all for these awards
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,288

Post#70 » by WestGOAT » Wed Mar 6, 2024 8:07 am

Embiid 70+ points, Sengun 40+, hope ppl can calm down now with the DPOY talk and let Wemby develop without too much pressure.
spotted in Bologna
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 561

Post#71 » by MMyhre » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:47 am

Bornstellar wrote:Let's be real. He won't win because of narrative but he is the best defensive player in the league already. No player forces the offense to adjust like Wemby does and he plays with basically nothing but terrible defensive players. The fact the Spurs have been middle of the pack since Collins got benched and Wemby has them as a top defense while he's on the court is nuts. If you watch the Spurs and see how terrible the team is as a whole on defense it's incredible how much he alone impacts their defense

Multiple DPOYs is a given at this point

Where is your Cult of Wemby temple located? He is already the GOAT apparently. If he was the best defensive player in the league they would be winning a lot more games. He is not defensively polished enough to be the best defensive player in the league, despite his obvious natural gifts, like go watch how fast and intensively Gobert reads and moves on defense, and compare it to Wemby. It`s not close, despite Wemby reaching every fking ball he is in the vicinity of, but a lot of times he has mislapses where he for example allows Austin Reaves to just walk by him for a layup in slow motion vs the Lakers. And there was a lot of mislapses like that in just the 1q I watched of that game, but he still has a very good impact because he makes A Davis look like a toddler when he recovers for a block.

He is not the best in the league though. Probably will be.
MMyhre
Suspended

Post#72 » by MMyhre » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:50 am

WestGOAT wrote:Embiid 70+ points, Sengun 40+, hope ppl can calm down now with the DPOY talk and let Wemby develop without too much pressure.

The Wemby cultists are starting to make me a little bit biased against him. Alperen Sengun is the GOAT. Cook him in the post baby! Cult of Wemby in shambles today.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#73 » by GSP » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:29 am

Wemby is one of the best rookie defenders weve seen in a long time but no ......im as anti Rudy as anyone and he shouldnt have 3 Dpoys right now but there isnt a case to NOT give him this years
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#74 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:33 am

WestGOAT wrote:Embiid 70+ points, Sengun 40+, hope ppl can calm down now with the DPOY talk and let Wemby develop without too much pressure.

Tell me, who then do you believe deserves to be in DPOY consideration? I personally do not have Victor as the DPOY but it's not crazy to have him in the conversation and a couple individual games in which someone scores well does not change that at all. DPOY is about the broader picture, and everyone who points to individual match-ups likely does it to promote a biased view (on both sides).
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,248

Post#75 » by LAvision » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:50 am

Embarrassing that certain users stood quiet for a month and after one bad game, pounce to crush wemby. Sucks to be them.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#76 » by Frankie » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:07 am

LAvision wrote:Embarrassing that certain users stood quiet for a month and after one bad game, pounce to crush wemby. Sucks to be them.

The Wemby hype is bound to create a few haters along the way. It comes with the territory. Wemby is looking exactly like what we feared he would be. He got cooked last night by another good young player, that happens. He'll have his chance to revenge this game pretty soon as we see each other again in a few games.
MMyhre
Suspended

Post#77 » by MMyhre » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:14 am

Frankie wrote:
LAvision wrote:Embarrassing that certain users stood quiet for a month and after one bad game, pounce to crush wemby. Sucks to be them.

The Wemby hype is bound to create a few haters along the way. It comes with the territory. Wemby is looking exactly like what we feared he would be. He got cooked last night by another good young player, that happens. He'll have his chance to revenge this game pretty soon as we see each other again in a few games.

Lol. As if the Wemby hype isn`t creating hate and junk the other way (bashing Chet Holmgren with subjective narratives) and that`s causing hostility back. You dish it you better take it back, and its actually a bit pathetic how many kids stand with the "cool kid" in class in Wemby and bully, belittle and make fun of Chet Holmgren.

I try to detach Wemby from his fans, because he seems pretty clear headed from the little I have seen, but there is some schadenfreude when he fails, and thats not because of him. Lets hope he doesn`t get caught up in the hype and gets arrogant and as complacent as some of his fans, or we can hope so because he will become a worse player if he turns the Shaq route instead of the Kobe route you can say.. It seems like he knows though, he isnt happy with losing and he knows there is a long road ahead. That`s why I see his potential as very high, not because of what he is showing already.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,288

Post#78 » by WestGOAT » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:31 am

The-Power wrote:

Tell me, who then do you believe deserves to be in DPOY consideration? I personally do not have Victor as the DPOY but it's not crazy to have him in the conversation and a couple individual games in which someone scores well does not change that at all. DPOY is about the broader picture, and everyone who points to individual match-ups likely does it to promote a biased view (on both sides).

My point is people in this thread are getting carried away anointing Wemby DPOY already, Gobert should be hands down the favourite, and if you want place a lot of emphasis on defensive on/off, Brook Lopez has a better defensive on/off, while also playing more minutes. Wemby -9.70 and Lopez -11.41 in non-garbage minutes:
https://www.pbpstats.com/on-off/nba/stat?Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%2BSeason&TeamId=1610612759&Stat=PtsPer100PossOpponent&Leverage=Medium,High,VeryHigh
https://www.pbpstats.com/on-off/nba/stat?Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%2BSeason&TeamId=1610612749&Stat=PtsPer100PossOpponent&Leverage=Medium,High,VeryHigh

Wemby shouldn';t get a pass for not playing Center straight-away, actual sustained impact over potential should matter
spotted in Bologna
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,221

Post#79 » by lambchop » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:32 am

MMyhre wrote:
Frankie wrote:

Lol. As if the Wemby hype isn`t creating hate and junk the other way (bashing Chet Holmgren with subjective narratives) and that`s causing hostility back. You dish it you better take it back, and its actually a bit pathetic how many kids stand with the "cool kid" in class in Wemby and bully, belittle and make fun of Chet Holmgren.

I try to detach Wemby from his fans, because he seems pretty clear headed from the little I have seen, but there is some schadenfreude when he fails, and thats not because of him. Lets hope he doesn`t get caught up in the hype and gets arrogant and as complacent as some of his fans, or we can hope so because he will become a worse player if he turns the Shaq route instead of the Kobe route you can say.. It seems like he knows though, he isnt happy with losing and he knows there is a long road ahead. That`s why I see his potential as very high, not because of what he is showing already.

His fans and the premature labels are definitely going to generate hate. He's currently the best player on the worst team in his conference and top 3 worst in the league in a year where we have a historically bad team (pistons) and then the Wizards.

Wemby has insane DPOY potential. Like pretty much all modern Cs he still has some krytonite. With Rudy it's the small ball lineups and with Wemby it seems to be skilled bigs that are strong and patient. AD also had a good time against Wemby. All it really takes is one shot fake, a shoulder and then the ability to dunk off vert and then those guys can score on him. But most bigs can't to that, so it's a reason for concern imo.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#80 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:39 am

WestGOAT wrote:
The-Power wrote:

My point is people in this thread are getting carried away anointing Wemby DPOY already, Gobert should be hands down the favourite, and if you want place a lot of emphasis on defensive on/off, Brook Lopez has a better defensive on/off, while also playing more minutes. Wemby -9.70 and Lopez -11.41 in non-garbage minutes:

This does not really address, much less refute, my point that individual games and match-ups are ultimately irrelevant to anyone with an unbiased take on the award. We can talk about Victor's case based on his performances over the course of the season, as you have started doing now. Just leave the ‘player X scored Y points this one game, let's stop this debate’ out of it because it's not a valid point.

Return to The General Board