Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread Part Two: Repurposed for your Wembanyama needs!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Jzh
Freshman
And1: 104

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread Part Two: Repurposed for your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#581 » by Jzh » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:53 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:Spurs with 22 wins last season without Wemby. Their winning percentage this year is much much worse. Not a game changer and Chet is a better player.

What an absolute clown take

30% win-loss record last year. Now at an amazing 22%. Yep, the other teams are shivering in their boots. Insult me as much as you like and it’s cute to wait till they win a game to reply, but Chet is getting his stats on a winning team and is much more efficient.

Problem with your argument is you switch both players, OKC is 99% having the same record if not a better one. Chet has more pressure to perform as Richard Jefferson said because his team is a contender so he cannot display the full extent of his abilities. That also helps him to be more efficient as he is not the focal point of OKC's offense. Wembanyama since moving a centre with the Sochan experiment done is having monster stats for a rookie and he's constantly targeted by the opposing team.

Chet is in a similar situation as Klay Thompson. He plays next to a (future) MVP but how would he perform being double team if he were playing for a bad team like the Spurs? I was still on board with the co-ROY recently but if Wemby continues to perform as he does without minutes restrictions, whatever the winning record is, by the end of the season there will be a fair margin between the two.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,335

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread Part Two: Repurposed for your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#582 » by Bornstellar » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:44 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:Spurs with 22 wins last season without Wemby. Their winning percentage this year is much much worse. Not a game changer and Chet is a better player.

30% win-loss record last year. Now at an amazing 22%. Yep, the other teams are shivering in their boots. Insult me as much as you like and it’s cute to wait till they win a game to reply, but Chet is getting his stats on a winning team and is much more efficient.

It is a clown take though. You're basically ignoring all context and going HURR DURR THEIR RECORD instead of attempting to make any nuanced argument. As if there aren't a number of factors outside of his control that are contributing to their record. Nevermind the fact that he's been playing like 24mpg for an entire month and our coach had him playing out of position with no PG for the first two months of the season

The Spurs started 5-30. They're 5-6 in their last 11. They are very clearly improving
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,462

Post#583 » by RRR3 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:52 pm

So can we get this stickied again mods? Wemby is playing at an all nba level since Tre Jones was moved to starter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,734

Post#584 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:54 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

For a fan of a team that went through the Hinkie 'process' you sure have little to say about context of losing having witnessed so much of it. And as you know, even with having a great player on the roster, building a winning team takes time, even with that great player looking great. The argument you're actually making isn't favouring Chet like you think it is but instead favours the team being that good buoying his numbers.

RRR3 wrote:So can we get this stickied again mods? Wemby is playing at an all nba level since Tre Jones was moved to starter

You already said earlier that Wemby's playing great here. Now it's because of Tre at point??! Perhaps we should start and sticky a Tre at point thread!

Wemby doesn't even see himself as the long term 5 even if he gets plenty of reps there. Guess he's playing out of position...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#585 » by peZt » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Since mid december He's averaging almost 34/12/5/5/1 at 62% TS per 36 minutes. I don't think people realize how absurd this is. He literally is having an All Time great performance over the last 15 games or so as a 19/20 year old rookie. With all nba level defense. As crazy as it sounds, he's actually underrated now. People and the media should be talking more about what kind of season he's having

And this is the worst version of Wemby till his retirement years. It's only gonna get better from hear and I dont even know how much better it can get from that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#586 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:16 pm

peZt wrote:Since mid december He's averaging almost 34/12/5/5/1 at 62% TS per 36 minutes. I don't think people realize how absurd this is. He literally is having an All Time great performance over the last 15 games or so as a 19/20 year old rookie. With all nba level defense. As crazy as it sounds, he's actually underrated now. People and the media should be talking more about what kind of season he's having

And this is the worst version of Wemby till his retirement years. It's only gonna get better from hear and I dont even know how much better it can get from that.

Yeah, his production has been ridiculous for over a month now.

Frankly, this is why there's no reason to waste much energy arguing about Wemby versus Chet for ROTY. The debate was legitimate through the end of December and even a little bit into January for those who haven't been paying much attention. But assuming Wemby continues to produce like this, his statistical case is going to be overwhelming by the end of the season. Basically, Chet had a small edge over the first 25 games, and Wemby will have a massive advantage over the final 55 games.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#587 » by Rust_Cohle » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:54 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

And yet Wemby is inarguably the better player than Chet. The Thunder would do that trade in a heartbeat. Would love for Wemby to have an MVP candidate teammate. Your take was moronic and you know it.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,607

Post#588 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Someone probably already posted this somewhere but Wemby is killing it.

Great win vs Wolves last night, Spurs fans, congrats!

Read on Twitter
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#589 » by Bornstellar » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:34 pm

bisme37 wrote:Someone probably already posted this somewhere but Wemby is killing it.

Read on Twitter

His assist numbers have been pretty impressive. In a few years when the Spurs have actual talent on the roster he's going to be dropping triple doubles left and right. He almost certainly will drop a quad double at some point in his career
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,988

Post#590 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:39 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Someone probably already posted this somewhere but Wemby is killing it.

Read on Twitter

His assist numbers have been pretty impressive. In a few years when the Spurs have actual talent on the roster he's going to be dropping triple doubles left and right. He almost certainly will drop a quad double at some point in his career

I think it's more likely that Wemby takes a USG% hit once actual talent arrives. Especially if they get decent playmaking, his passing is ok but if Wemby's getting 10 assists then you'd have to expect the team is awful.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,486

Post#591 » by DwayneSchintzus » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:35 pm

Its getting to the point where i judge people’s basketball understanding by what they say about Wemby.

This is unprecedented. I suspect next year the restrictions will be off and he will dominate the NBA.
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
picko
Starter
And1: 3,422

Post#592 » by picko » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All the pieces are coming together and certainly over the past 14 games he has been playing at an all-NBA level. Quite clearly, the hype surrounding him before the draft was warranted.

The raw statistics are obviously impressive but now there is an efficiency component to it. And he's doing it all with poor guard play. It's incredibly impressive, particularly at his age, and I feel sorry for those who aren't able to appreciate that.
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#593 » by Bornstellar » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:32 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think it's more likely that Wemby takes a USG% hit once actual talent arrives. Especially if they get decent playmaking, his passing is ok but if Wemby's getting 10 assists then you'd have to expect the team is awful.

Totally disagree. When he has guys to pass it to that don't brick wide open shots constantly his numbers should be better across the board. Wemby is a generational level talent. The entire team should run through him
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#594 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:16 am

Bornstellar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:His assist numbers have been pretty impressive. In a few years when the Spurs have actual talent on the roster he's going to be dropping triple doubles left and right. He almost certainly will drop a quad double at some point in his career

Totally disagree. When he has guys to pass it to that don't brick wide open shots constantly his numbers should be better across the board. Wemby is a generational level talent. The entire team should run through him

We shall see. He's not a passing savant like Jokic, I think he'll be used more like Embiid who has only had more than 10 assists twice in his whole career.

Players always brick wide open shots though,on every team, that's why everyone's assists aren't as high as they should be.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,569

Post#595 » by sikma42 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:24 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

We shall see. He's not a passing savant like Jokic, I think he'll be used more like Embiid who has only had more than 10 assists twice in his whole career.

Players always brick wide open shots though,on every team, that's why everyone's assists aren't as high as they should be.

He's making insanely advanced reads already at 19/20. He projects to be a top tier passing big. Better than AD, Embiid, Giannis, Hakeen, Duncan, KG etc. Embiid couldnt even get close to reading a double team early in his career.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#596 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:27 am

DwayneSchintzus wrote:Its getting to the point where i judge people’s basketball understanding by what they say about Wemby.

This is unprecedented. I suspect next year the restrictions will be off and he will dominate the NBA.

Agreed, it's only a matter of time. Best rookie I've ever seen from a potential standpoint, maybe by play too. Easy to see where he improves as well. Those criticizing him, he's going to win a ton of games as the best player in the league.
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#597 » by Bornstellar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Well, Victor is already halfway to matching Embiid's total 40 games into his career vs 8 years of Embiid's :wink:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#598 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:52 am

Bornstellar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:

Well, Victor is already halfway to matching Embiid's total 40 games into his career vs 8 years of Embiid's :wink:

Wemby is yet to have more than 10 assists in a game.

I just don't think it will be a good option to play Wemby like this, you want some talent coming in, they will take over scoring load and passing load that doesn't exist on the Spurs currently.
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#599 » by Bornstellar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:30 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Wemby is yet to have more than 10 assists in a game.

I just don't think it will be a good option to play Wemby like this, you want some talent coming in, they will take over scoring load and passing load that doesn't exist on the Spurs currently.

Ah, you said "more than" 10. my bad
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#600 » by sisibilio » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:19 pm

IDK. I don't want to sound hyperbolic... but his floor is like Bill Russell's defense with prime Pau offensive tools but improved some 35% at pretty much everything but maybe passing (and he's pretty darn good at that).
I'd be shocked if he's not a top 5 in the ATG list when it's all said and done. Not even with the likes of LeBron or Duncan you could have said that in his rookie season.
So, yeah.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates

Return to The General Board