How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green 

Post#1 » by jasonxxx102 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:11 pm

He somehow managed to regress again this year it seems. He stands around on offense waiting for the ball and when he has the ball nobody else moves because they know a shot is going up no matter what. It's pretty clear he has no interest in playing defense and if he's just a low 40% shooter from the floor he's just not that valuable.

It's abundantly clear this guy is not a franchise player but he's gonna want that bag.

The Rockets are destined for their 4th top 5 pick in a row and they've seemingly gotten worse each season. It's gonna be time to figure out what you can get for Jalen
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,867

Re: How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green 

Post#2 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:18 pm

It's the first god damn week of the season.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#3 » by jasonxxx102 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:26 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:It's the first god damn week of the season.

and? This is legitimately all I've seen you post in GB threads.

If you don't want to have any discussion why even post?

He has 1 more year before they can QO him and he's going to want a huge deal. If you're the rockets do you give this guy a big extension?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#4 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:29 pm

I personally think Jalen Green is overrated compared to his class. But I also think having FVV in the backcourt with him isn't doing him any favours.
sanima233
Sophomore
And1: 159

Post#5 » by sanima233 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:40 pm

watching Green is painful. a clear example of empty calorie stat guy. Does nothing else but score at league average ( at best?) efficiency.
fanofthegreats
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,401

Post#6 » by fanofthegreats » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:42 pm

Laughably overrated player/prospect. I was always shaking my head when people compared his athleticism to Michael freaking Jordan’s.

Sig by Trixx
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#7 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Unless Udoka wants him gone, he isnt going anywhere at least for another year or 2. Rockets arent winning anytime soon anyway, so ultimately what are you even targeting in a Green deal? Might as well just wait and see if he matures over the next couple years and if Udoka can mold him into a star.

Such a shame, cause I really thought he was going to be a McGrady-esque player in Houston but I think those first few seasons ruined him.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#8 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:49 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:

He has 1 more year before they can QO him and he's going to want a huge deal. If you're the rockets do you give this guy a big extension?

And all I've seen you post are hot takes based on very, VERY small sample sizes. There's nothing to discuss here. You gotta give it time.

Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,340

Post#9 » by Bornstellar » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:00 pm

He is barely 21 years old. There are some legit concerns but I'm not ready to write off a 21 year old 4 games into the season
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#10 » by jasonxxx102 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:10 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

And all I've seen you post are hot takes based on very, VERY small sample sizes. There's nothing to discuss here. You gotta give it time.

146 games is a small sample?

Honest question, have you watched any rockets games in the last 2 seasons? If not just sit this one out bud
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#11 » by jasonxxx102 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:20 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Unless Udoka wants him gone, he isnt going anywhere at least for another year or 2. Rockets arent winning anytime soon anyway, so ultimately what are you even targeting in a Green deal? Might as well just wait and see if he matures over the next couple years and if Udoka can mold him into a star.

Such a shame, cause I really thought he was going to be a McGrady-esque player in Houston but I think those first few seasons ruined him.

based on what I've seen of him on podcasts, in the offseason, and his play/attitude on the court he overrates his own talent.

There's no desire from him to do the little things. He's clearly athletic enough to be a good defender but he just doesn't care. It's not like he's Trae Young size out there and just legitimately can't guard anyone.

He could play off ball but he refuses. He has 5 total assists on 121 passes and has only created 15 points.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#12 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:27 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Honest question, have you watched any rockets games in the last 2 seasons? If not just sit this one out bud

“It seems like he’s regressed even more this season”.

You are not basing that on 146 games from the past couple of seasons. And if you are, that’s not a constructive way of looking at it. This is a roster with different players and thus green needs time to adjust.

And actually yes, I did watch a good amount of rockets games last season. You see, Sengun was on my fantasy team last year, so I usually tried to watch the rockets, as well as other players I had on my team, whenever I could. All in all I would say I watched more than half of their games. And overall, Green is a one dimensional player with no redeeming qualities outside of his ability to put points on the board on poor efficiency.

But again, we are one week into the season (technically we are just starting the second week), so you can’t say he’s regressed based on three games. If that’s enough for you though, then feel free to make a thread on Melo asking how long it will be before he gets traded from Charlotte because he is playing a LOT worse than Green is to start the season.

zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,402

Post#13 » by zero rings » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:33 pm

The people saying "but he is young" are coping. He is terrible.

If the Rockets are serious about making the play in and keeping their pick, they need to trade him now. Playing him 30+ minutes basically guarantees they will be a bottom 5 team.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,917

Post#14 » by chilluminati » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:40 pm

They won't move off of him yet. If they think he has potential, he'll help them tank while he gets better so they can continue to build. It's possible for a player to get a few contracts before they really figure it out. And yes they will have to continue to tank, I don't think anyone is fooled by signing Brooks and VanVleet, they aren't trying to win there is just a specific cap threshold on the lower end that teams must meet in each NBA season. The league’s minimum salary floor requires a club to spend at least 90% of the salary cap on player salaries. For instance, with the 2021/22 cap set at $112,414,000, the salary floor for this season is $101,173,000. The unspent money would be divided between the players on the roster (and any rich mogul would know that's bad business). Sengun is great, and Whitmore looks good, but its not enough yet. So they just spent the money where they could (which is obvious because who tf wants FVV for THAT much money lol).

If they are down on him the situation remains the same. You let him cook on a losing team, sign him to his rookie extension once he's eligible for a nice palatable amount, and then trade him away for a depth package to a contender that's transitioning to a rebuild, or for another young talent near Green's floor.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#15 » by 1993Playoffs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:47 pm

I’ve yet to watch a rockets game since harden left
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#16 » by timO » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:49 pm

at least they play him this year

hes not bad, but is very far from being a star
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#17 » by jasonxxx102 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:52 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

“It seems like he’s regressed even more this season”.

You are not basing that on 146 games from the past couple of seasons. And if you are, that’s not a constructive way of looking at it. This is a roster with different players and thus green needs time to adjust.

And actually yes, I did watch a good amount of rockets games last season. You see, Sengun was on my fantasy team last year, so I usually tried to watch the rockets, as well as other players I had on my team, whenever I could. All in all I would say I watched more than half of their games. And overall, Green is a one dimensional player with no redeeming qualities outside of his ability to put points on the board on poor efficiency.

But again, we are one week into the season (technically we are just starting the second week), so you can’t say he’s regressed based on three games. If that’s enough for you though, then feel free to make a thread on Melo asking how long it will be before he gets traded from Charlotte because he is playing a LOT worse than Green is to start the season.

If you think this is true, and he looks like the exact same player... why wouldn't you entertain a discussion on his future with the Rockets. He's gonna want big money like Poole got and it would be foolish for the Rockets to do that.

It's not like he's a rookie and this is 3 games into his career, this has been a pattern for the whole thing and there's never been any sign of growth.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,620

Post#18 » by 3ddman23 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:56 pm

Can someone tell me what the real difference between him and shaedon sharpe? Both inefficient shot first sg who don't play make very well and aren't known for their defense... but yet people seem to love sharpe and dont really like green??? Am i missing something?
GO MAGIC
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,782

Post#19 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:57 pm

Ive hardly seen him play. What's the best player comparison?
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#20 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:57 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:If you think this is true, and he looks like the exact same player... why wouldn't you entertain a discussion on his future with the Rockets. He's gonna want big money like Poole got and it would be foolish for the Rockets to do that.

It's not like he's a rookie and this is 3 games into his career, this has been a pattern for the whole thing and there's never been any sign of growth.

Because for starters, it's the first week of the season. I don't know how many times I have to state this. Green's future with the Rockets is not in jeopardy. He's GOING to get an extension.

With that said, players learn and grow the most over the course of a season. They realize what works and what doesn't work and do what they can to improve in the areas they need to. It's not like Green didn't go through that himself. He did in fact make improvements as last season went on... they just weren't in the areas that he needed to. That's why I keep saying... it is the FIRST WEEK OF THE SEASON. Even a month in is still pushing it a bit, but at least at that point you have a good enough sample size to see what players are doing consistently wrong and what they need to improve on.

Return to The General Board