How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Re: How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green 

Post#61 » by JonFromVA » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:30 pm

azcatz11 wrote:The G league coaches are not as good as the college coaches. The salary alone reflects that. G league is bottom of the barrel. Sure they have “nba resources” but those pale in comparison with the major programs.

NCAA owns G League and always will

I'm not sure what the G-League Excite or whatever they call the team for the Jalen Green's of the world have to offer, but I do believe the Cleveland Charge have access to the same facilities the Cavaliers use (and may even inherit the current training building all for themselves) all while being coached by a full staff led by Mike Gerrity who's on track to be an NBA head coach someday.

Meanwhile they are sharing systems between the Charge and the Cavs with the hope that players will be able to more seamlessly move from the G-League to the pros.

The more NBA teams have invested in the G-League, the better it's going to get and if the stigma ever goes away, maybe we'll see more first round picks playing in the g-league. Keep an eye on Emoni Bates, he'll be a great test of whether the G-League with the right structure can help a young/raw player develop the right habits.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,543

Post#62 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:35 pm

I thought this kid was the next JR Smith?
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,349

Post#63 » by d00lttle » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:He somehow managed to regress again this year it seems.

The FVV effect?
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,402

Post#64 » by zero rings » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:44 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
zero rings wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Patrick Williams is a SF, who the Bulls are inexplicably playing out of position, because they refuse to sign a power forward. And he should be coming off the bench. Jalen Green has avg. 17.3 and 22.1 before the age of 22. You guys talk about him like he's scrub. I'm not even a fan of him like that but the guy is clearly good enough to start and several teams would take someone this productive at his age. The title contender Bucks start Malik Beasley for chrissake.

He’s putting up those numbers on horrific efficiency, and his defense is even worse than his offense. The only teams that would start him are teams trying to lose.

McFly, the Rockets were tanking to keep their picks from conveying to the Thunder. Do you not know that?

What does that have to do with Green not being able to shoot, pass, or defend?

Trade him to a team that didn’t invest a #2 overall pick on him and he immediately goes to the bench. He stinks.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#65 » by Ayt » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:16 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Unless Udoka wants him gone, he isnt going anywhere at least for another year or 2. Rockets arent winning anytime soon anyway, so ultimately what are you even targeting in a Green deal? Might as well just wait and see if he matures over the next couple years and if Udoka can mold him into a star.

Such a shame, cause I really thought he was going to be a McGrady-esque player in Houston but I think those first few seasons ruined him.

How could a guy that small be like McGrady?
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#66 » by dc » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:32 pm

Ayt wrote:How could a guy that small be like McGrady?

Yeah McGrady was a 6'7"-6'8" long armed wing with a good handle and a high level defender when he tried.

Green is a bit smaller than I originally thought. He's closer to 6'4" than 6'6". He's got a good first step and a nice vert but, right now, that's all he has going for him.

Also, McGrady was the same age as Green is now when he went to Orlando and almost immediately became a dominant player.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,818

Post#67 » by junot111 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:05 pm

Godymas wrote:what happened to the 2021 draft class

it was supposed to be a generational draft with future face of the league superstars

the talk was Green was looking good enough to be taken ahead of Cade that year

only Mobley has truly "broken out" and by "breaking out" that means making All Defense

Cade was injured for a whole season, still has issues with consistency

Jalen Green might not have it

Scottie Barnes is actually a bit of a stable piece but he had a sophomore slump

Then there's Suggs who was supposed to actually be another generational guard in the draft and he's literally gone nowhere other than a rotation guy.

No one is looking like they are breaking out anytime soon EXCEPT maybe Cade if he gets consistent.

Giddey is very inconsistent offensively too, he's good at filling up the stats but he isn't actually a great defender nor is he good at finishing/shooting

idk this class is so underwhelming compared to what the talks were for the teams looking to be in the lottery that year.

Lol who said suggs would be generational? Besides him and Green the rest of those players are fine. How can you judge Cade's consistency if he's barely played
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#68 » by DCasey91 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:25 pm

6”4 is being generous as he doesn’t play big for his size at all (key now in the NBA). Completely wrong on him as I was encouraged by his finishing splits in the G league… but now I should rate the G league like 3rd level euro stuff if that and with a caveat. Thinking speedy Beal as a comp.

Domestically speaking it’s a piss poor pathway compared to other big 3 sports in the US. How in the world haven’t they rectified it yet? Money/business is not the issue it’s beyond a joke now.

Would make a serious 6th man though.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,234

Post#69 » by Childs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:32 pm

fanofthegreats wrote:Laughably overrated player/prospect. I was always shaking my head when people compared his athleticism to Michael freaking Jordan’s.

There can only be one
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#70 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:54 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
zero rings wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Patrick Williams is a SF, who the Bulls are inexplicably playing out of position, because they refuse to sign a power forward. And he should be coming off the bench. Jalen Green has avg. 17.3 and 22.1 before the age of 22. You guys talk about him like he's scrub. I'm not even a fan of him like that but the guy is clearly good enough to start and several teams would take someone this productive at his age. The title contender Bucks start Malik Beasley for chrissake.

He’s putting up those numbers on horrific efficiency, and his defense is even worse than his offense. The only teams that would start him are teams trying to lose.

McFly, the Rockets were tanking to keep their picks from conveying to the Thunder. Do you not know that?

Doesn't that prove the counterpoint that just because he's starting, doesn't mean he deserves to be or is necessarily an NBA level starter?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#71 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:The G league coaches are not as good as the college coaches. The salary alone reflects that. G league is bottom of the barrel. Sure they have “nba resources” but those pale in comparison with the major programs.

NCAA owns G League and always will

I'm not sure what the G-League Excite or whatever they call the team for the Jalen Green's of the world have to offer, but I do believe the Cleveland Charge have access to the same facilities the Cavaliers use (and may even inherit the current training building all for themselves) all while being coached by a full staff led by Mike Gerrity who's on track to be an NBA head coach someday.

Meanwhile they are sharing systems between the Charge and the Cavs with the hope that players will be able to more seamlessly move from the G-League to the pros.

The more NBA teams have invested in the G-League, the better it's going to get and if the stigma ever goes away, maybe we'll see more first round picks playing in the g-league. Keep an eye on Emoni Bates, he'll be a great test of whether the G-League with the right structure can help a young/raw player develop the right habits.

NBA teams definitely have an incentive to work closely with their affiliated G-League teams and develop their players, but the Ignite is a different situation.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#72 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:58 pm

Childs wrote:
fanofthegreats wrote:Laughably overrated player/prospect. I was always shaking my head when people compared his athleticism to Michael freaking Jordan’s.

There can only be one

:lol: Never saw this one, would give 10 And-1's if I could...
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#73 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:10 pm

He is still on his rookie contract, with two more years left on the deal after this one. He is a young player and it is Udoka's job to bring him along and help him grow into his potential. Same with Jabari Smith and Amen Thompson. If Green is still a ballhog after his rookie deal is up then the Rockets should just cut their losses. But I wouldn't trade him till his last season of his current deal.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#74 » by Blazing_royale » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 pm

He's got tunnel vision and looks to play low IQ basketball.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#75 » by Decipher » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:35 pm

FVV is being paid $40 million per season for less scoring on worse efficiency than Green and is a poor fit next to him anyway
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#76 » by dc » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:00 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Childs wrote:

There can only be one

:lol: Never saw this one, would give 10 And-1's if I could...

That's been around forever. It was the site's most infamous "NBA Comparison".

Naturally, they had Larry Bird as Mike Dunleavy Jr.'s NBA comparison.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,213

Post#77 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:45 am

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:It's the first god damn week of the season.

and? This is legitimately all I've seen you post in GB threads.

If you don't want to have any discussion why even post?

He has 1 more year before they can QO him and he's going to want a huge deal. If you're the rockets do you give this guy a big extension?

I suspect his point is that you cant draw intelligent conclusions after leas than a handful of games, which is true. Wondering after when a team will move on from a player after 3 or 4 games is ridiculous and nonsensical.

It's all about how you position the conversation.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,749

Post#78 » by VanWest82 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:52 am

It's year three, we're approaching 5000 mins, and Jalen Green has come out of the gate looking like ass after two years of looking like ass.

It's unfortunate to say but the overwheming likelihood is that he's going to turn out to be a bust, and this is coming from someone who really liked him coming into the 21 draft.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,937

Post#79 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:53 am

I’m starting to see a trend on the GB with GLeague Ignite prospects.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#80 » by Han Solo » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:00 am

He’d fit with Cade. We have Ivey though.

I still have hope for Green. He can be electric. Maybe this new coach will get the best from him at some point.

Return to The General Board