How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,944

Re: How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green 

Post#81 » by AussieCeltic » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:01 am

I’ve never liked Green from day 1 and have said countless times on this forum.

Selfish, low IQ, poor efficiency.

I understood why people saw some potential but I didn’t give him much hope of finding it. However, if anyone can get through to him, it’s a guy like Udoka. So I’ll give him until the end of the year before I really put the pen through him.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 801

Post#82 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Nov 1, 2023 9:50 am

Jalen Green is not the problem. The bench is terrible without Eason and having to play Bullock, Jeff Green and Boban heavy minutes. Landale has also been out.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=Czvoq_OfH0ZSMgHqWBWrFA
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

Post#83 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 11:33 am

Kiss of Death wrote:Jalen Green is not the problem. The bench is terrible without Eason and having to play Bullock, Jeff Green and Boban heavy minutes. Landale has also been out.

Read on Twitter

He's shooting 40/25/83 with a -6.7 net rating when he's on the court. If the Rockets are 93rd percentile with Jalen putting up a -6.7 that's pretty impressive.

Of course he's the problem, it turns out that a sweet looking layup package and aesthetically pleasing shot don't win games

edit: not even sure where that guy got that stat because it's not correct according to CtG. On top of that, only 13 lineups are even qualified with > 100 possessions.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#84 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 11:41 am

tsherkin wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:It's the first god damn week of the season.

and? This is legitimately all I've seen you post in GB threads.

If you don't want to have any discussion why even post?

He has 1 more year before they can QO him and he's going to want a huge deal. If you're the rockets do you give this guy a big extension?

I suspect his point is that you cant draw intelligent conclusions after leas than a handful of games, which is true. Wondering after when a team will move on from a player after 3 or 4 games is ridiculous and nonsensical.

It's all about how you position the conversation.

but it hasn't only been 3 games, this is year 3 now of the exact same attitude and exact same play. He's 1 year away from an extension, if now is not the time, when is the time?
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,574

Post#85 » by srhcan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:25 pm

3ddman23 wrote:Can someone tell me what the real difference between him and shaedon sharpe? Both inefficient shot first sg who don't play make very well and aren't known for their defense... but yet people seem to love sharpe and dont really like green??? Am i missing something?

Because Sharpe plays with Scoot who looks a lot worst than him. While Green plays with FVV, NBA champion.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#86 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:32 pm

kg01 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:Ive hardly seen him play. What's the best player comparison?

Jordan Poole?

:)

Poole with a first step is actually a decent comp. Athletic Jordan Poole seems decent/good player on paper, then you remember their IQ for terrible shots with poor timing.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,468

Post#87 » by mtcan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:42 pm

I haven't given up on Jalen Green.

The Rockets have done a piss poor job in giving him guys who could properly set him up and complement his abilities and deficiencies.

They gave him Kevin Porter Jr as a point guard and now Fred VanVleet...neither of which are good pass-first guards and they themselves take lots of bad shots.

And lets finally admit what it took 3 years and a really bad assault charge for the Rockets to see: Kevin Porter Jr. is not a nice guy and probably a bad locker room presence and a bad influence on young guys in general. The Rockets **** up giving that guy a starting spot and a horrible contract.

They also drafted Amen Thompson but he is coming off the bench and should be their starting point guard.

Trade VanVleet and start Amen. I think Green will play better next to Amen.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#88 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:49 pm

Decipher wrote:FVV is being paid $40 million per season for less scoring on worse efficiency than Green and is a poor fit next to him anyway

Don't get me started on FVV. I'm been screaming to Raptors fans that he's been ass cheeks for about 2-3 years now.
Kiss of Death
Senior

Post#89 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,046

Post#90 » by Drakeem » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:32 pm

mtcan wrote:I haven't given up on Jalen Green.

The Rockets have done a piss poor job in giving him guys who could properly set him up and complement his abilities and deficiencies.

They gave him Kevin Porter Jr as a point guard and now Fred VanVleet...neither of which are good pass-first guards and they themselves take lots of bad shots.

And lets finally admit what it took 3 years and a really bad assault charge for the Rockets to see: Kevin Porter Jr. is not a nice guy and probably a bad locker room presence and a bad influence on young guys in general. The Rockets **** up giving that guy a starting spot and a horrible contract.

They also drafted Amen Thompson but he is coming off the bench and should be their starting point guard.

Trade VanVleet and start Amen. I think Green will play better next to Amen.
Yeah, I think tanking and collecting picks is a fine strategy and all, but once you get some sort of young talent, you gotta surround them with the proper pieces. From a maturity standpoint, play style standpoint, etc, it all has to fit. Instead of picking their top talents and trying to accommodate them and train them to the best of their ability, Houston insists on surrounding their players with malcontents, chuckers, and people that aren't going to help the young guys succeed.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#91 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:41 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:
Read on Twitter

56 minute sample sizes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiss of Death
Senior

Post#92 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:46 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:
Read on Twitter

So, enough time for the RealGM geniuses to criticize Jalen Green, but apparently not enough time for the actual facts to prove them wrong.

Time to lock and delete the thread.
Apparently there isn’t a big enough sample size to support the posting of this thread.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#93 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:51 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:
Read on Twitter

So, enough time for the RealGM geniuses to criticize Jalen Green but apparently not enough time for the actual facts to prove them wrong.

Jalen has been bad this year. What facts do you want? He's 146 games into his career, he had 2 bad seasons and started another one terribly. Supposedly Ime was the guy to come in and help these guys develop good habits but after a whole offseason Jalen has made no improvements

He's shooting 40% from the floor and 25% from 3. The Rockets are -6.7 net rating with him on the court. 7.8% ast rate, career high TOV rate... but you're out here citing lineup net rating in a 56 minute sample? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What other facts would you like?
Kiss of Death
Senior

Post#94 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:57 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

So, enough time for the RealGM geniuses to criticize Jalen Green but apparently not enough time for the actual facts to prove them wrong.

Jalen has been bad this year. What facts do you want? He's 146 games into his career, he had 2 bad seasons and started another one terribly. Supposedly Ime was the guy to come in and help these guys develop good habits but after a whole offseason Jalen has made no improvements

He's shooting 40% from the floor and 25% from 3. The Rockets are -6.7 net rating with him on the court. 7.8% ast rate, career high TOV rate... but you're out here citing lineup net rating in a 56 minute sample? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just said that a 56 minute sample size was not enough time to form an opinion and then you formed an opinion on basically the same sample size.
Delete the thread.
3 games is not enough time to form an opinion according to Junior here.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#95 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:58 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:

You just said that a 56 minute sample size was not enough time to form an opinion and then you formed an opinion on basically the same sample size.
Delete the thread.

**asks for facts

**ignores facts that don't align with his narrative :lol:

If the starting lineup net rating is good, but Jalen is still negative, what do you think that says?
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,046

Post#96 » by Drakeem » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:22 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:

Delete the thread.
I mean, I think they used the sample size of the last two years as well.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 473

Post#97 » by DrModesty » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:28 pm

For better or worse the Rockets have drafted like your average RealGM poster would have. Jalen Green was majority choice #2 and they picked him. Sengun fell to #16 and they picked him. Jabari Smith Jr was the left over of a consensus top 3 and they picked him. Tari Eason was the last guy before a perceived drop in the tier of prospects at #17. Amen Thompson was the general consensus fourth best prospect and they picked him 4. Cam Whitmore fell dramatically to #20 and they picked him. Even TyTy was a guy that fell to them.

It almost looks like they made picks based on how the prospects were valued. The other teams that tanked the same time as the Rockets all seemed to have a specific plan for teambuilding.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,816

Post#98 » by JJ_PR » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:34 pm

I remember wanting him instead of Mobley. Thank God I'm not a GM. We dodged a bullet when the Rockets took him ahead of us tbh.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,468

Post#99 » by mtcan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:57 pm

DrModesty wrote:For better or worse the Rockets have drafted like your average RealGM poster would have. Jalen Green was majority choice #2 and they picked him. Sengun fell to #16 and they picked him. Jabari Smith Jr was the left over of a consensus top 3 and they picked him. Tari Eason was the last guy before a perceived drop in the tier of prospects at #17. Amen Thompson was the general consensus fourth best prospect and they picked him 4. Cam Whitmore fell dramatically to #20 and they picked him. Even TyTy was a guy that fell to them.

It almost looks like they made picks based on how the prospects were valued. The other teams that tanked the same time as the Rockets all seemed to have a specific plan for teambuilding.

Not to mention...they had all of those first round picks and took Usman Garuba, Josh Christopher, Tyty Washington and then cut them or traded them away for nothing.

Front office has no clue.
Kiss of Death
Senior

Post#100 » by Kiss of Death » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:26 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Delete the thread.

**asks for facts

**ignores facts that don't align with his narrative :lol:

If the starting lineup net rating is good, but Jalen is still negative, what do you think that says?

It tells me that Jalen Green plays a lot of minutes with a bench that is pretty terrible right now.
You should probably think before you post.
For a change.

Return to The General Board