How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

Re: How long before the Rockets move on from Jalen Green 

Post#121 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:56 pm

johanliebert wrote:Some of you are just miserable. Imagine honing in one one player and creating narratives

Wait a minute… what’s the “narrative” here?

He’s bad, he’s been bad, I’ve been saying this is what Jalen was since watching him in the g league so yea I’m gonna take my flowers on this one.

Green is the poster child for why you don’t just watch YouTube highlights
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,459

Post#122 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:17 pm

BDM22 wrote:
QingJames wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
You could argue that they should have taken Mobley or whatever, but outside of that you're talking pure 20/20 hindsight. Green was a consensus top-3 pick and looked at as EASILY the best scorer in the draft.

To add on to this - that doesn’t mean much to me. Front offices routinely prioritize flashy scoring combo guards with athleticism in the draft and this proves over and over again to be a mistake. The consensus was obviously wrong at the time and remains obviously wrong now. AT BEST Green becomes a Booker level player. A very good outcome for him would be to be a Beal or Lavine level player - guys who do not impact winning and will take you nowhere as the best guy on your team.

The fact that idiot draft analysts who can’t recognize that combo guards rarely lead to winning does not make the drafting of Green over Mobley and Barnes any less terrible. It was a bad pick in the moment and it remains a bad pick in hindsight.

It's the same skillset that Ant Edwards had on draft night and now he's the best player on a team with the best record in the west. Uber athletic but inefficient volume scorers.

Development trajectory is a whole other ball game that is quite difficult to project, but GM's will still take a chance on landing that next unstoppable guard/wing scorer.

It's a similar skillset to Antman, the big difference is the body frame those skills are in. Green is very slightly built, while Ant is a wrecking ball at 225lbs, I think Green still needs to gain another 20lbs, he's listed at 186lbs which is just too small for a 6'4" SG.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#123 » by BDM22 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
QingJames wrote:
To add on to this - that doesn’t mean much to me. Front offices routinely prioritize flashy scoring combo guards with athleticism in the draft and this proves over and over again to be a mistake. The consensus was obviously wrong at the time and remains obviously wrong now. AT BEST Green becomes a Booker level player. A very good outcome for him would be to be a Beal or Lavine level player - guys who do not impact winning and will take you nowhere as the best guy on your team.

The fact that idiot draft analysts who can’t recognize that combo guards rarely lead to winning does not make the drafting of Green over Mobley and Barnes any less terrible. It was a bad pick in the moment and it remains a bad pick in hindsight.

It's the same skillset that Ant Edwards had on draft night and now he's the best player on a team with the best record in the west. Uber athletic but inefficient volume scorers.

Development trajectory is a whole other ball game that is quite difficult to project, but GM's will still take a chance on landing that next unstoppable guard/wing scorer.

It's a similar skillset to Antman, the big difference is the body frame those skills are in. Green is very slightly built, while Ant is a wrecking ball at 225lbs, I think Green still needs to gain another 20lbs, he's listed at 186lbs which is just too small for a 6'4" SG.

For sure, but Green had a lot more fluidity and control to his athleticism coming into the draft, not to mention he had much better touch. Green had a 61% TS% with the Ignite compared to 52% for Ant in college. Both had pros and cons, but I would argue that Green was looked at more highly on their respective draft nights, and both clearly fall in the category of super-athletic/flashy volume scorers.

My point is only to refute the people saying Houston was stupid to draft him, which is total revisionist history or this idea that drafting "flashy scoring guards proves over and over again to be a mistake". Which I think is ridiculous, regardless of how Green turns out.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#124 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:49 pm

QingJames wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
You could argue that they should have taken Mobley or whatever, but outside of that you're talking pure 20/20 hindsight. Green was a consensus top-3 pick and looked at as EASILY the best scorer in the draft.

The problem with these guys isn't so much their skillset - it's that they get starter minutes based on them being able to score 20 a night while being a net negative, so they never bother to develop past iso scoring. Coaches refuse to bench them because they can't seem to comprehend that guys like this should be 10-15 mpg players unless and until they can actually contribute to winning basketball. You don't need high usage ISO scorers to generate offense anymore, every offensive system is essentially the triangle offense on steroids and you HAVE to be able to operate within that framework to be playable in the NBA.

Jordan Poole is the worst player in the NBA. He's averaging 21/4/3 per 36. Boomer coaches think that has to be worth *something* right? No, he's actually just ****, he shouldn't even be a starter in China, let alone the NBA, though I suspect we're playing him *because* we might have accidentally built a playin contender while intending tearing it down to the studs (our starting lineup without Poole has a -1 net rating) and he needs to play heavy minutes to keep us tanking. We'll worry about the impact on culture later I guess...

Guys like Green should come in at 10 MPG, then add more MPG based on their defense, then passing, etc. Pure iso scorers are not legitimate NBA rotation players in 2023.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#125 » by NatiboyB » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:50 pm

This is one of the times I have concede to the fanbase of the team the 10-15 times I’ve seen Green play he was productive or displayed tools. If he’s not a part of the future of the rockets I can envision him being a great piece to move in a package for an upgrade at I’m assuming the wing spots.

Could a package involving Green/oladipo/landale get you all anywhere?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#126 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:42 am

Yikes...

Read on Twitter
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,954

Post#127 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Yikes...

Read on Twitter

Bro.. Eric Gordon is sitting there. How old is that?
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,231

Post#128 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:02 am

AussieCeltic wrote:

Read on Twitter

Bro.. Eric Gordon is sitting there. How old is that?

Last season.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:33 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:Bro.. Eric Gordon is sitting there. How old is that?

Last season.

NBA Centel got me again...

:oops:
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,954

Post#130 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:41 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:Bro.. Eric Gordon is sitting there. How old is that?

Last season.

NBA Centel got me again...

:oops:

It’s happened to the best of us 8-)
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#131 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:46 am

Read on Twitter

What was crazy is that was only Jabari's fourth game of his career too.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#132 » by Vampirate » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 am

QingJames wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:Can we get a vibe check on Jalen?

He's having his worst season so far. Shooting a hilarious 40/33/81. Still one of the worst defensive players in the league, and a -14 on/off split.

Not only is he providing nothing to this Rockets team that's surprisingly average, he's making them worse

He’s truly terrible. I’m happy for Rockets fans that their team is out of the swamp and made some good offseason acquisitions, but with so many good players in the 2021 draft that Green pick is one of the worst busts of all time. I’m not sure he’s even serviceable in a Lou Williams microwave scorer role for a decent team.

Again, drafting a combo guard with terrible defense in the lottery is one of the worst blunders teams can make in the modern era. These guys just do not impact winning, even at their 99th percentile development outcomes.

Honestly, Jalen Green has such great athleticism and good ball handling so much so that he's been a giant disappointment so far.

His efficiency should be much better.

The Rockets have Sengun though so they made a big blunder (looks like) and got a steal in the same draft.

Perfectly balanced as all things should be.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#133 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:37 pm

I'm not sure he's top 7 in a redraft.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 690

Post#134 » by Special_Puppy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:47 pm

God Squad wrote:I'm not sure he's top 7 in a redraft.

Mobley+Barnes+Wagner+Sengun+Murphy+Grimes all comfortably go over him
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#135 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:35 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
God Squad wrote:I'm not sure he's top 7 in a redraft.

Mobley+Barnes+Wagner+Sengun+Murphy+Grimes all comfortably go over him

I’m obviously very low on Jalen Green as a player as a contributor to winning but Quentin Grimes is just not good lol.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,083

Post#136 » by ItsDanger » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:47 pm

Green is uber talented but plays out of control, undisciplined, inefficient on offense still.

It takes balls for a GM to trade that high a pick in 3rd year, but also on the other side to pay the price for a struggling young player. Its surprising how it doesn't occur often.

Regardless, in Green's 3rd year, the ceiling may have been lowered. Its possible to retrain him.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#137 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#138 » by jasonxxx102 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:07 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

These posts always make me chuckle.

Green has shot over 40% just twice in the last 10 games.

Like yea let’s ignore his entire season of being terrible, he played well for 5 games! lol
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,230

Post#139 » by QingJames » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:13 am

Looks like the Udoka and the Rockets FO have finally acknowledged what RealGMers who drool over athleticism can’t seem to: Green is really bad. Sending him to the bench is a tacit admission that they made a really bad pick, but it’s good that they’re doing what’s right for the team. I imagine they try to trick some dumb GM into giving up anything of value for him this summer before that draft equity sheen has dissipated from him completely. He is well on track to becoming Jordan Clarkson with hops, worse shot selection, and somehow worse defensive awareness and ability.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,656

Post#140 » by benhillboy » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:45 pm

Silvie Lysandra wrote:
QingJames wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

The problem with these guys isn't so much their skillset - it's that they get starter minutes based on them being able to score 20 a night while being a net negative, so they never bother to develop past iso scoring. Coaches refuse to bench them because they can't seem to comprehend that guys like this should be 10-15 mpg players unless and until they can actually contribute to winning basketball. You don't need high usage ISO scorers to generate offense anymore, every offensive system is essentially the triangle offense on steroids and you HAVE to be able to operate within that framework to be playable in the NBA.

Jordan Poole is the worst player in the NBA. He's averaging 21/4/3 per 36. Boomer coaches think that has to be worth *something* right? No, he's actually just ****, he shouldn't even be a starter in China, let alone the NBA, though I suspect we're playing him *because* we might have accidentally built a playin contender while intending tearing it down to the studs (our starting lineup without Poole has a -1 net rating) and he needs to play heavy minutes to keep us tanking. We'll worry about the impact on culture later I guess...

Guys like Green should come in at 10 MPG, then add more MPG based on their defense, then passing, etc. Pure iso scorers are not legitimate NBA rotation players in 2023.

Excellent post. Fact is many coaches and GMs are casuals.

Return to The General Board