Boston still has glaring late-game issues

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Re: Boston still has glaring late-game issues 

Post#61 » by Sign5 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:53 am

Paper tiger Celtics. Embarrassing loss.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 364

Post#62 » by Bloodbather » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 am

I think Jayson Tatum is fine in the clutch, it's Jaylen Brown that I find unreliable. Too many forced iso attempts, shaky left hand. They've got such a loaded lineup this season that they might not need Brown to deliver like they did previously, though.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#63 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:05 am

Anyone who thinks a game against the hawks, in atlanta, in the middle of a road trip, without 2 starters, without point guards, after locking up #1 seed meant anything to the celtics or can take anything away from that is delusional.

Complains about late game execution when we had no PGs that game. Lol
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,229

Post#64 » by lambchop » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 am

Larry_Russell wrote:Anyone who thinks a game against the hawks, in atlanta, in the middle of a road trip, without 2 starters, without point guards, after locking up #1 seed meant anything to the celtics or can take anything away from that is delusional.

Unless you have star PGs, the game will still mainly run through your star players. It's not like Jrue Holiday is known for on ball heroics or forcing the defense to collapse and therefore creating wide open looks down the stretch.

The video is obviously just an example, but that's pretty much how nba games look when the game gets close. There are exceptions, like the dynasty warriors or Spurs who had a ton of ball movement pretty much throughout the game, but even there with the dubs in the KD years it would just be KD running down the court and pulling up from deep, cause that's how nba basketball is played.

So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#65 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:49 am

lambchop wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Anyone who thinks a game against the hawks, in atlanta, in the middle of a road trip, without 2 starters, without point guards, after locking up #1 seed meant anything to the celtics or can take anything away from that is delusional.

Unless you have star PGs, the game will still mainly run through your star players. It's not like Jrue Holiday is known for on ball heroics or forcing the defense to collapse and therefore creating wide open looks down the stretch.

The video is obviously just an example, but that's pretty much how nba games look when the game gets close. There are exceptions, like the dynasty warriors or Spurs who had a ton of ball movement pretty much throughout the game, but even there with the dubs in the KD years it would just be KD running down the court and pulling up from deep, cause that's how nba basketball is played.

The point guard makes the difference in the 3rd quarter and earlier in the 4th when the celtics didnt really run any sort of play.
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,159

Post#66 » by dans1230 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:59 am

Considering theyve won 57 of the 72 games theyve played, im not too concerned with a couple games they lost the late game battle, there are far more games they won that battle. The reason these stick out is because when they lose its typically a close game where they had a chance to win. That should be to their credit.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#67 » by celtxman » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:27 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:Ahh yes, Steph Curry giving the Celtics the Night-Night, no greater joy.

(Sorry Bisme)

Curry will have plenty of time to sleep later, on his sofa while watching other teams compete in the playoffs.

At first I didn't realize this was the continuation of an older post from December. Hilariously accurate with Golden State - fighting for their lives.....for the PLAY IN!
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,335

Post#68 » by shi-woo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm

People love to take on fake narratives. A team is top of the conference year in and year out winning tons of games, and every time they lose a close one it's a bloodbath. No one was talking about how bad the Nuggets are at closing when they lost by 2 to the Mavs last week :lol:

The statistical data also doesn't back any of this up, and has been beaten to death aimlessly by every NBA podcaster that i'm not even going to look up the stats.

Celtics had no White or Jrue last night, they clinched the NBA best record already, nothing to write home about. They are clearly just using the remaining time to get their bench ready to perform and their main guys rest.

I remember when I was a kid and I told my friend that basketball is harder than baseball, and he said something that I had never thought about. He said baseball is the only sport where every play you have someone trying to prevent you from doing what you want to do. There are no left open shooters or WR in baseball. Just you and a guy who is throwing a ball so that you CANT hit it. So baseball is really just a sport between a pitcher and the batter.

Sometimes I think we forget this as basketball fans. The Celtics are also playing against NBA players that are trying to prevent them from doing what they want. They also have players that are really good at basketball, and they may even have players that are super clutch. It's why all of us watch the sport, and why we all love the playoffs.

We've seen this team pull off some remarkable wins in close games in the playoffs, and they do it every year. They just need to have the cards fall in their favor one year for all of you to forget all of that.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,962

Post#69 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 pm

shi-woo wrote:People love to take on fake narratives. A team is top of the conference year in and year out winning tons of games, and every time they lose a close one it's a bloodbath. No one was talking about how bad the Nuggets are at closing when they lost by 2 to the Mavs last week :lol:

The statistical data also doesn't back any of this up, and has been beaten to death aimlessly by every NBA podcaster that i'm not even going to look up the stats.

Celtics had no White or Jrue last night, they clinched the NBA best record already, nothing to write home about. They are clearly just using the remaining time to get their bench ready to perform and their main guys rest.

I remember when I was a kid and I told my friend that basketball is harder than baseball, and he said something that I had never thought about. He said baseball is the only sport where every play you have someone trying to prevent you from doing what you want to do. There are no left open shooters or WR in baseball. Just you and a guy who is throwing a ball so that you CANT hit it. So baseball is really just a sport between a pitcher and the batter.

Sometimes I think we forget this as basketball fans. The Celtics are also playing against NBA players that are trying to prevent them from doing what they want. They also have players that are really good at basketball, and they may even have players that are super clutch. It's why all of us watch the sport, and why we all love the playoffs.

We've seen this team pull off some remarkable wins in close games in the playoffs, and they do it every year. They just need to have the cards fall in their favor one year for all of you to forget all of that.

Give the GB a break. Celtics have won 20 of their last 23 games. Got to give the GB some red meat every once in a while.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Boston still has glaring late-game issues 

Post#70 » by jfs1000d » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:38 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:I know they’re pencilled in as championship favorites by everyone but they have yet to solve the late game calculus. No one can truly create an advantage off the dribble, they don’t have a truly great ball handler, and it just devolves into 3s and rushed shots. They were clearly terrified to drive and go inside tonight, especially Tatum and Brown. And it’s not just tonight, I watched the exact same issues show up in Charlotte of all places earlier this month.

What can they do to solve this?

They have lost 15 games this year, and according to people here, they should have won 13 of them.

I mean,did we expect them to go 79-3?

In the last 23 games they are 20-3. Yes, they should be 22-1 because they blew leads to the Cavs and Hawks…but at end of day they won ‘t lose games in the playoffs like that.

They aren’t even playing with a full team. Tatum can create whatever he wants. Issue is the coach doesn’t really help them.

It isn’t that he has bad plays or strategy, it is more like — Tatum, go make it up.

But, I think the have some of the best crunch time numbers in NBA, they just have unusually low hit rate on final shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jdm_dc_fan
Senior
And1: 388

Post#71 » by jdm_dc_fan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:51 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I know they’re pencilled in as championship favorites by everyone but they have yet to solve the late game calculus. No one can truly create an advantage off the dribble, they don’t have a truly great ball handler, and it just devolves into 3s and rushed shots. They were clearly terrified to drive and go inside tonight, especially Tatum and Brown. And it’s not just tonight, I watched the exact same issues show up in Charlotte of all places earlier this month.

What can they do to solve this?

They have lost 15 games this year, and according to people here, they should have won 13 of them.

I mean,did we expect them to go 79-3?

In the last 23 games they are 20-3. Yes, they should be 22-1 because they blew leads to the Cavs and Hawks…but at end of day they won ‘t lose games in the playoffs like that.

They aren’t even playing with a full team. Tatum can create whatever he wants. Issue is the coach doesn’t really help them.

It isn’t that he has bad plays or strategy, it is more like — Tatum, go make it up.

But, I think the have some of the best crunch time numbers in NBA, they just have unusually low hit rate on final shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The low rate of final shots I think is because they have historically top 3 net rating since the stat started getting tracked? I think these close games are good for them this time of year. They have been blowing teams out even with 2 sometimes 3 starters out of the line up. The bench guys look MILES more confident this season than last. Pritchard, Hauser and Kornet are playoff ready I feel. **** Pritchard can probably start on a couple teams. “Injuries” have been a blessing for Boston this season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

bisme37 wrote:I know you didn't just dig up this thread to bash our late game offensive issues in a game that our 2 point guards didn't play.

Read on Twitter

Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#73 » by Mamba81p » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

Another close game lost by celtics. If they don't win the championship is because of their coaching. That look Tatum had at the end of regulation was atrocious. Wtf was that?
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#74 » by dc » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

Mamba81p wrote:Another close game lost by celtics. If they don't win the championship is because of their coaching. That look Tatum had at the end of regulation was atrocious. Wtf was that?

I still think they're pretty easily the favorites in the east, at least. I mean sure, the best thing would've been for Udoka to not sleep with wives of Celts execs and still be the coach, but the biggest issue for them are likely the Nugz in the Finals.

If they somehow manage to lose to the Heat or Knicks, then yeah, that's pretty much a coaching thing.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,647

Post#75 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

It took y'all haters 3.5 months to bump this thread lol and now I'm supposed to be mad that my team exhibits "glaring late game issues" once every 3.5 months. Just start the playoffs already hahaha.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

Read on Twitter
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,943

Post#77 » by AussieCeltic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

bisme37 wrote:It took y'all haters 3.5 months to bump this thread lol and now I'm supposed to be mad that my team exhibits "glaring late game issues" once every 3.5 months. Just start the playoffs already hahaha.

16 losses and there is a thread after each loss.

It’s like people expect them to be 73-0. There’s no threads when they close out tight games like they did v the Wolves, Knicks, Heat etc.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,473

Post#78 » by AleksandarN » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

What about tonight?
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,473

Post#79 » by AleksandarN » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

dc wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:Another close game lost by celtics. If they don't win the championship is because of their coaching. That look Tatum had at the end of regulation was atrocious. Wtf was that?

I still think they're pretty easily the favorites in the east, at least. I mean sure, the best thing would've been for Udoka to not sleep with wives of Celts execs and still be the coach, but the biggest issue for them are likely the Nugz in the Finals.

If they somehow manage to lose to the Heat or Knicks, then yeah, that's pretty much a coaching thing.

How confident are you if they have to face Denver down the stretch in a close game?
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,883

Post#80 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

You're right.

Tuff loss tonite.

Return to The General Board