How is Joel Embiid getting away with this? - **Spoiler** it's all legal and highly skilled

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,453

Re: How is Joel Embiid getting away with this? - **Spoiler** it's all legal and highly skilled 

Post#121 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:06 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:Please point out where I said getting to the line a lot means you’re a loser and a flopper.

Flopping as your number one offensive tool makes you a loser and a flopper. None of those guys you listed fall into that category.

Joel Embiid is:
- one of the best iso players in the NBA
- one of the best midrange shooters in the NBA
- one of the best post up players in the NBA
- one of the most physically dominant players in the NBA.

He gets less than a third of his offense at the line. Sure if flopping was all he did I'd agree with some of your points (and yes the man has to have a good playoff run at some point or he'll get clowned forever more), but I don't know anything about football and don't think your points are on point. I'm not an Embiid fan at all but you can't foul bait your way to 35ppg... you need a lot of game. Give him a poor free throw rate, and he'd still be averaging 29 or 30.

Joel Embiid is able to draw fouls mostly due to his ability to threaten the rim with his size and first step, and the need to over play his pull up. When you have the full bag like that at 7 feet tall, players are going to be at a disadvantage guarding you. When you put the defender at disadvantage, and they try to overcompensate, you can draw fouls. Embiid has it all in this regard.

30% of Embiid's points are free throws. I'd imagine that's more than anyone else in the NBA.

In comparison, Jokic, who takes more post shots, scores 18% of his points from free throws.

Sure. It's not the primary too of Embiid, but he plays for fouls far more than anyone else.
Easy points that he takes advantage of. You shoot them at a 90% clip you'd be stupid not. In these days of analytics this is what happens.

He is also more than capable to get those point by more conventional methods.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Re: How is Joel Embiid getting away with this? - **Spoiler** it's all legal and highly skilled 

Post#122 » by Rauxcee » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:08 am

Kudos to the players that find loopholes in the game and exploit them.

That being said, foul baiting is ugly basketball and I'll always respect the players that don't have to use that tactic more than the ones that do. Don't care how good you are, if that's your tactic, I'm not impressed.
Savage_Mode
Junior
And1: 288

Post#123 » by Savage_Mode » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:09 am

Embiid will be playing for Team USA this summer at the Parris Olympics. I can’t wait to see him destroy the European big men and lead USA to Gold!
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,753

Post#124 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:13 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:Please point out where I said getting to the line a lot means you’re a loser and a flopper.

Flopping as your number one offensive tool makes you a loser and a flopper. None of those guys you listed fall into that category.

Joel Embiid is:

He gets less than a third of his offense at the line. Sure if flopping was all he did I'd agree with some of your points (and yes the man has to have a good playoff run at some point or he'll get clowned forever more), but I don't know anything about football and don't think your points are on point. I'm not an Embiid fan at all but you can't foul bait your way to 35ppg... you need a lot of game. Give him a poor free throw rate, and he'd still be averaging 29 or 30.

Joel Embiid is able to draw fouls mostly due to his ability to threaten the rim with his size and first step, and the need to over play his pull up. When you have the full bag like that at 7 feet tall, players are going to be at a disadvantage guarding you. When you put the defender at disadvantage, and they try to overcompensate, you can draw fouls. Embiid has it all in this regard.

30% of Embiid's points are free throws. I'd imagine that's more than anyone else in the NBA.

In comparison, Jokic, who takes more post shots, scores 18% of his points from free throws.

Sure. It's not the primary too of Embiid, but he plays for fouls far more than anyone else.

Sure it's bad compared to Jokic but it's not so bad compared to prime Lebron and MJ.

As for his contemporaries, Giannis and Jimmy get a larger percentage of their point at the line. Trae, Jimmy, Shai, Luka are in the ball park.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,635

Post#125 » by Bergmaniac » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 am

LOL at calling coach Nick "one of the most respected basketball analysts".

And sure, most calls Embiid gets are legal by the book, but 99% of the players in the league, including literally all the other bigs, don't gets such calls in their favour anywhere near as often.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#126 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Joel Embiid is:

But that's because he is a great FT shooter, if Giannis had the same FT percentage, he would have more points % from FT, makes no sense to penalize Embiid for being that good as a FT shooter, he should be a worse FT shooter so he relies less on FT to get his points in terms of percentage!
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,874

Post#127 » by One Last Shot » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Joel Embiid is:

Last season, 31.2% of SGA's points come from free-throws made compared to 30.2% of Embiid.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#128 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 am

Bergmaniac wrote:LOL at calling coach Nick "one of the most respected basketball analysts".

And sure, most calls Embiid gets are legal by the book, but 99% of the players in the league, including literally all the other bigs, don't gets such calls in their favour anywhere near as often.

Because they're not good at it, and are not nearly the offensive threat to do so.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,131
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#129 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 am

robbie84 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Joel Embiid’s greatest skill is his uncanny ability to improve. Not all people train hard, but even the ones that do might not show improvement to the levels they’d like.

Joel got drafted as a raw athlete with almost as many fouls as FGs made, missed 2 whole seasons with injury and came back basically a complete offensive monster, 3 level scorer.

Some people just master skills at a much easier level.

People aren't arguing with you on those points though.
People are saying that instead of playing to score field goals, he's playing to score free throws- and the rules need to be changed because this isn't the way the game was intended to be played.
When he feels someone on his hip and then jumps off the wrong foot and throws his arms up- when he never had any intention of shooting- and gets free throws, it's bad for the game.
It's not just because he gets free throws, it's because it's physically impossible to guard someone in basketball if refs are going to reward that kind of foul seeking and the NBA shouldn't let anyone, let alone Embid get away with it. It would remove all physicality and good defense from the game.
His foul baiting takes away from the greatness that he could be remembered for, for all those things you mentioned.

Joel is just exploiting a flaw in the officiating. The NBA just needs to tell their officials that they can't reward these kinds of bait techniques, just like they did with Harden.

It’s true. I just think Joel will figure things out. Might not be tomorrow, but I think he’s going to find what needs to be done. Whether that aligns with having the team necessary, we’ll see.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,267

Post#130 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 am

Backcountry wrote:Still the best photo ever...

Only a matter of time before Embiid injures someone again with his falling down
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,533

Post#131 » by Cubbies2120 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:36 am

One Last Shot wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:
Are you seriously comparing the free-throw dropoff of healthy Embiid during the regular season to an injured Embiid trying to played hurt during the playoffs with all that computation and other stuff? Seriously? Tim Duncan torn his meniscus before 2000 Playoffs and he didn't play a single game and the Spurs got destroyed by the Suns in the 1st Round. Joel Embiid torn his meniscus during the 1st round of 2021 Playoffs and still decided to play through his injury no matter how it hurts and risk making it worse than it should if he continue playing rather than not play anymore to recover. In this 2 scenario, Duncan did the right thing not to play anymore games in the playoffs and no one criticize him for that while Embiid who decided to play through his injury got criticized, mocked and called a loser because of the dropoff in his performance trying to play hurt through his injury.

You know there are degrees of tears, right?

Small lateral tear (which is what Embiid had) had him listed as day to day.

Duncan required surgery.

A papercut and slicing your hand open with a knife are both "hand injuries", but one is clearly worse...

Also, LOL @ the logic of "Let's let Embiid sit out full seasons, lets let him take off as many games as needed to keep him healthy, but he's got a 'SEVERE INJURY' let's play him through it"...

"No matter how much it hurts" is Duncan playing through plantar fasciitis for years. Not a slight tear that had an extremely cautious franchise (Sixers) listing him as Day to Day.

Cmon now.

You know that Embiid sit his entire rookie season because of a stress fracture in his foot, right? Then have his second foot surgery in his supposed to be sophomore season that set him back to recovery for another year. That's just the start of Embiid's long injury history. After playing 31 games in his rookie season, Embiid missed the remainder of the season after undergoing another surgery to repair the meniscus in his left knee. From that long rehabbing process to winning MVP last season and b2b runner-up MVP for the last 3 years and leading the league in ppg this season for his 3rd scoring title and current MVP race, Embiid should be one of the most successful player in NBA history having to overcome all those career-threatening injuries he had in his early years to being the best player in the NBA right now yet here you are mocking and criticizing him because his "performance" and free-throw rate dropped from regular season to playoffs because he got injured again in the postseason. LOL @ people like you dude. Hate all you want dissect his stats from RS to playoffs and ignore the fact that he's trying to play hurt during the playoffs in the past half decade that mostly 99% of stars won't even try to play and will choose to rest and recover. Now let's see your computation, how much does his free-throw rate and his performance dropoff again from regular season to Playoffs after his knee injury in Game 3 against the Nets last playoffs?

You don't see the flaw in simple logic here? I'm gonna ask you a couple simple questions, just to understand your stance, because you're all over the place. I don't blame you, I've been there, nobody's perfect, but we can use logic to come to logical conclusions, which don't care about your feelings (love/hate of a player)...I'm expecting you'll ignore the questions though, but at least others may find them useful...]

I'm going to start this off with one assumption, which I THINK most people would agree with: There is NO PERFECT PLAYER, ever, in NBA history. Everyone has at least one flaw, most multiple. That flaw can be BBIQ, physical limitations, shooting ability, dribbling ability, etc. If we can agree with that assumption, continue reading. If not, the rest is useless because we have a fundamental disagreement in thought.

1. Injury prone-ness is part of a player's physical limitations (similar to height, or being slow footed, or not being able to palm a ball due to hand size, etc.) - It is OUT OF A PLAYER'S CONTROL. Do you agree?

My opinion: Yes, because if it was in Embiid's control, he would not be getting injured year in and year out.
Your opinion?
2. If you agree with argument #1 (Embiid's injury prone-ness is not his fault), did the Sixers sit Embiid throughout his career to try to ensure the best possible outcome for his health? Allowing additional recovery time, surgery, etc.
My opinion: Yes, they rightfully didn't pressure him into playing through meniscus injury
Your opinion?
3. If #1 and #2 are true, then do you believe that both Embiid and the Sixers (who had until then done as much as they could to preserve his health) were negligent in attempting to play through a 'horrific injury' (the small tear), or did they recognize it was not a significant injury and decided they weren't going to throw away years and years of being cautious for a <1% chance to win it all?
My opinion: The Sixers and Embiid both knew the injury wasn't severe, they are not short sighted, so they allowed him to play through it
Your opinion?

Interested in your take on these 3 simple questions before we further continue the logical train here. Happy to debate all you want as well after these 3 questions.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#132 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:43 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
You know there are degrees of tears, right?

Small lateral tear (which is what Embiid had) had him listed as day to day.

Duncan required surgery.

A papercut and slicing your hand open with a knife are both "hand injuries", but one is clearly worse...

Also, LOL @ the logic of "Let's let Embiid sit out full seasons, lets let him take off as many games as needed to keep him healthy, but he's got a 'SEVERE INJURY' let's play him through it"...

"No matter how much it hurts" is Duncan playing through plantar fasciitis for years. Not a slight tear that had an extremely cautious franchise (Sixers) listing him as Day to Day.

Cmon now.

You know that Embiid sit his entire rookie season because of a stress fracture in his foot, right? Then have his second foot surgery in his supposed to be sophomore season that set him back to recovery for another year. That's just the start of Embiid's long injury history. After playing 31 games in his rookie season, Embiid missed the remainder of the season after undergoing another surgery to repair the meniscus in his left knee. From that long rehabbing process to winning MVP last season and b2b runner-up MVP for the last 3 years and leading the league in ppg this season for his 3rd scoring title and current MVP race, Embiid should be one of the most successful player in NBA history having to overcome all those career-threatening injuries he had in his early years to being the best player in the NBA right now yet here you are mocking and criticizing him because his "performance" and free-throw rate dropped from regular season to playoffs because he got injured again in the postseason. LOL @ people like you dude. Hate all you want dissect his stats from RS to playoffs and ignore the fact that he's trying to play hurt during the playoffs in the past half decade that mostly 99% of stars won't even try to play and will choose to rest and recover. Now let's see your computation, how much does his free-throw rate and his performance dropoff again from regular season to Playoffs after his knee injury in Game 3 against the Nets last playoffs?

You don't see the flaw in simple logic here? I'm gonna ask you a couple simple questions, just to understand your stance, because you're all over the place. I don't blame you, I've been there, nobody's perfect, but we can use logic to come to logical conclusions, which don't care about your feelings (love/hate of a player)...I'm expecting you'll ignore the questions though, but at least others may find them useful...]

I'm going to start this off with one assumption, which I THINK most people would agree with: There is NO PERFECT PLAYER, ever, in NBA history. Everyone has at least one flaw, most multiple. That flaw can be BBIQ, physical limitations, shooting ability, dribbling ability, etc. If we can agree with that assumption, continue reading. If not, the rest is useless because we have a fundamental disagreement in thought.

1. Injury prone-ness is part of a player's physical limitations (similar to height, or being slow footed, or not being able to palm a ball due to hand size, etc.) - It is OUT OF A PLAYER'S CONTROL. Do you agree?

My opinion: Yes, because if it was in Embiid's control, he would not be getting injured year in and year out.
Your opinion?
2. If you agree with argument #1 (Embiid's injury prone-ness is not his fault), did the Sixers sit Embiid throughout his career to try to ensure the best possible outcome for his health? Allowing additional recovery time, surgery, etc.
My opinion: Yes, they rightfully didn't pressure him into playing through meniscus injury
Your opinion?
3. If #1 and #2 are true, then do you believe that both Embiid and the Sixers (who had until then done as much as they could to preserve his health) were negligent in attempting to play through a 'horrific injury' (the small tear), or did they recognize it was not a significant injury and decided they weren't going to throw away years and years of being cautious for a <1% chance to win it all?
My opinion: The Sixers and Embiid both knew the injury wasn't severe, they are not short sighted, so they allowed him to play through it
Your opinion?

Interested in your take on these 3 simple questions before we further continue the logical train here. Happy to debate all you want as well after these 3 questions.

Just because a tear isn't significant, doesn't mean it doesn't cause swelling, and require pain management. I love how you like to play doctor with this stuff. The proof is in the fact that when he was healthy during a playoff series he played fine (see Boston Bubble playoffs), and when he wasn't, he didn't.

You have driven this point over the last few years, and it's clear you just don't agree. Not sure why you keep trying to push it. The types of injures Embiid has are far worse than Jokic and Tatum's wrists lol. It's worse than a sprained ankle.

This devil's advocate bs that you love to do, is getting old.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,533

Post#133 » by Cubbies2120 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:55 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

Your opinion?
Your opinion?
Your opinion?

Just because a tear isn't significant, doesn't mean it doesn't cause swelling, and require pain management. I love how you like to play doctor with this stuff. The proof is in the fact that when he was healthy during a playoff series he played fine (see Boston Bubble playoffs), and when he wasn't, he didn't.

You have driven this point over the last few years, and it's clear you just don't agree. Not sure why you keep trying to push it. The types of injures Embiid has are far worse than Jokic and Tatum's wrists lol. It's worse than a sprained ankle.

So you're saying the Sixers and Embiid, who RIGHTFULLY rested him for YEARS, decided that they should play him through a SEVERE injury with a 1% chance to win a championship?

What made them decide that was the right course of action? Do you agree with that?
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#134 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:03 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

Your opinion?
Your opinion?
Your opinion?

So you're saying the Sixers and Embiid, who RIGHTFULLY rested him for YEARS, decided that they should play him through a SEVERE injury with a 1% chance to win a championship?

What made them decide that was the right course of action? Do you agree with that?
When did I say it was severe? They said it would not get worse and he can't do more damage to it. So they took a calculated risk. He played through it but was clearly hampered by it.

The Sixers medical staff is full of clowns. You should know this by now.

Fultz, Bynum, Zhaire Smith, Embiid regular season meniscus tear, let's him play through it then realizes it's a tear then he misses the rest of the year.

Also stop with these leading questions. You're not a lawyer. Or if you are this isn't a court.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,151

Post#135 » by AussieCeltic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:41 am

Thank god refs didn’t fall for this one. Just gross basketball.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,404

Post#136 » by og15 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:42 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
og15 wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:Anyone who says “there was contact” to justify a foul call is a low IQ individual who’s opinions can be immediately disregarded.

Illegal contact is what determines a foul, so I'm assuming when people say that they mean illegal contact, at least I would hope so.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:There are a few things at play here...

1) "Legal?" Fine. He's gaming a flawed system.
2) He has the clout, so he's able to get away with it where others would not.
3) Conversely, he gets away with a lot more defensively than others get vs. him. And yet, Embiid can still be seen complaining every time he doesn't get the call.
4) It's simply not entertaining to watch... and 76ers/Embiid fans who claim it's entertaining (or even fine) are simply being disingenuous or rubes.

[Note: The rub is that these antics wouldn't work so well for guys like Embiid or Harden if they weren't uber-talented players to begin with. They both have it in them to be dominant players without the egregious foul baiting... ]
I haven't found it to be true that these antics don't work for lesser players. It's just that usually lesser players can't consistently create the angles and positions to draws these fouls, but when they do, they get them too.

If we look at lesser players / non-stars who are scorers though, we see that they can do similar things. Lou Williams was a master foul drawer with angles and little plays to just get the defender off balance, get a bump. Corey Maggette was an excellent foul drawer, he used the get a step, and then go up for a shot and he loved pump fakes. Kevin Martin was a master foul drawer until they took away his favorite play from being auto FT's.

Q-Rich said it like this about Maggette: "Corey took buckets and took fouls away from people. People tried to run away from them fouls, but he didn't let em" :lol:

It's ok to disagree. But I'd guess you're in the minority if you think star players in the NBA don't "usually" get a friendlier whistle... dating back 40 years or more. The NBA made a concerted effort to market star players over teams unlike other pro sports. And it's worked very well for them over the years.

As for Maggette and Williams. Both were solid to very good at drawing fouls. Lou WIlliams once got to #10 in FTAs. And Magette was #5 one season and #6 another season in attempts. The question is whether those types of guys were fairly common or the anomaly...

Embiid is very talented... very good at knowing the rules... very good at initiating contact... and very good at flopping to the ground or flailing his arms to get the foul call while being allowed to play more physically on the other end of the court than his counterparts who aren't flopping and flailing due to slight contact. It's all "legal" by the strict definition. And it's a tough watch worthy of eyerolls by most subjective measures.

All of these things can be true.

I have no debate against dislike for his playstyle, or really anything you said in your last paragraph.

I'm simply arguing against the idea that non stars couldn't do the same thing and get calls. I'm saying that stars simply have far more opportunity to do so and are usually better players (duh) and therefore more capable of making the plays.

Harden was a foul hunter since college (7.7 FTA/G to 12.9 FGA as a college sophomore). He was a foul drawer as soon as he got to the NBA and just kept maximizing his ability to draw fouls, but also getting more touches and scoring attempts to make those plays. We many times present it like these guys became stars, then the NBA started giving them more FTA, but these guys have been drawing FTA forever, it's just when they become stars there are more possessions used by them, so there are far more of the plays.

Possibly part of why we think of it this way is that we look at raw numbers and we see, "oh he only shot 3.2 FTA/G as a rookie", but that was in 22.9 mpg and he was just taking 7.6 FGA/G. His FTR though was 0.415 as a rookie and already 0.501 as a sophomore.

Embiid was drawing 7.9 FTA in 25 mpg his first season playing regular season NBA games (this is 11.2 FTA/36), there was no star clout yet, no reputation. Usually we talk about rookies/young guys not getting respect, well, except for the ones that know the tricks and get calls, so there's a big aspect of knowing tricks that factors in.

People might say, "oh Joel was a top 3 pick, they wanted to prop him up to be a star", but for some reason they didn't extend that to Ayton the #1 pick? Ayton has been terrible at foul pressure his whole career, he's even just at 1.4 FTA this season.

High Foul Drawers Are Anomalies In General
I'd assume that really high foul draw players are the anomaly in general right?

I wouldn't expect the non star versions to be common either.

Foul Draw Rate vs Raw FTA
That said, we would have to look at foul rate vs raw FTA/G, because a player playing fewer minutes and or having fewer scoring attempts is not going to have as many raw FTA as the stars who are getting tons of touches and taking 17, 18, 19, 20+ FTA/G.

If we simply say, "look the stars get more FTA than non-stars", yea, they should since they have the ball the most and take most of the scoring attempts. In a perfect world of reffing where there is zero star bias in calls, the stars would still get many more FTA just due to volume of scoring touches.

I used two older guys, let's look at recent players, Austin Reaves. People say things like, "Austin Reaves gets calls like a star", it's true, but Austin Reaves also creates the angles and makes the plays that star guys are able to make to get those calls, and he gets the whistle despite not being a star.

In college he drew 6.8 FTA his last season. Now his raw FTA in the NBA isn't high because he's not a high volume shot taker, but his FTR is up there. Last season he did 7.7 FGA and 4.1 FTA. Basically if he was capable of taking 18-20 FGA/G the same way, he would be a 9-10 FTA/G guy.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Post#137 » by RB34 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:19 am

og15 wrote:
RB34 wrote:Plays for minimal contact, exaggerates it, gets rewarded. I’m not sure you’re going to sway a website full of hardcore basketball fans with this one dude.

Good job on Coach Nick brining on an ex ref though, next time he should get Tim Donaghy.

As fans we are terrible refs, this is proven over and over again, so who should he bring? His random pal who has an opinion but no experience? Go off just his own interpretation and understanding of rules, or someone who has actually done the job professionally?

Even Donaghy can interpret calls far better than fans, being corrupt doesn't mean one doesn't actually know their field. In fact knowing your field well allows you to be better at hiding your corruption.

I don’t doubt that coach Nick and the refs basketball knowledge is vastly greater than mine or everyone else’s for that matter. Just because you’re a professional doesn’t mean you’re going to be fair or just, especially when there is money involved. Like you said being a professional would make it easier to hide your corruption. Anecdotal, but it feels like there has been an uptick in shady calls since the explosion of sports betting in NA.

I’m not saying these are not fouls nor pure corruption but the threshold Embiid has to reach for a foul is far lower than everyone else. It’s the same as the Draymond situation, that guy is allowed to berate and abuse referees while also throwing himself around. Other players can bounce a ball and receive a tech.

In no way should there be such a stark contrast in a professional setting. It’s either good for all or it’s not.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,404

Post#138 » by og15 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:16 am

RB34 wrote:
og15 wrote:
RB34 wrote:Plays for minimal contact, exaggerates it, gets rewarded. I’m not sure you’re going to sway a website full of hardcore basketball fans with this one dude.

Good job on Coach Nick brining on an ex ref though, next time he should get Tim Donaghy.

As fans we are terrible refs, this is proven over and over again, so who should he bring? His random pal who has an opinion but no experience? Go off just his own interpretation and understanding of rules, or someone who has actually done the job professionally?

Even Donaghy can interpret calls far better than fans, being corrupt doesn't mean one doesn't actually know their field. In fact knowing your field well allows you to be better at hiding your corruption.

I don’t doubt that coach Nick and the refs basketball knowledge is vastly greater than mine or everyone else’s for that matter. Just because you’re a professional doesn’t mean you’re going to be fair or just, especially when there is money involved. Like you said being a professional would make it easier to hide your corruption. Anecdotal, but it feels like there has been an uptick in shady calls since the explosion of sports betting in NA.

I’m not saying these are not fouls nor pure corruption but the threshold Embiid has to reach for a foul is far lower than everyone else. It’s the same as the Draymond situation, that guy is allowed to berate and abuse referees while also throwing himself around. Other players can bounce a ball and receive a tech.

In no way should there be such a stark contrast in a professional setting. It’s either good for all or it’s not.

Embiid is attacking in a way to force fouls, there are a few other players who do the same thing and they also get the foul calls. Most players on the other hand are not looking to draw these fouls, or simply doesn't work for their game and haven't practiced it to make it ingrained into how they play, so of course they aren't going to get them as frequently.

If you saw my earlier quote about how Q-Rich described his former teammate Corey Maggette, he said, "Corey took buckets and took fouls away from people. People tried to run away from them fouls, but he didn't let em".

That's what these kinds of players are doing, so it doesn't make much sense to compare to someone who isn't playing to create contact and saying, "well the threshold for their fouls is so little compared to these other guys", those other guys aren't aiming to manipulate every angle and positioning to make a foul happen. If Embiid didn't look to do that, his "foul threshold" would be just like everyone else, though he would still draw a lot of FTA regardless since he's huge.

At this point, we have to realize that Embiid has drilled and trained attacking at certain angles and into defenders bodies and beating them to space and taking off in ways that throws defenders timing off that it's the natural thing for him to do. He would have to actively think about it to not do it.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,140

Post#139 » by AleksandarN » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:20 am

Savage_Mode wrote:Embiid will be playing for Team USA this summer at the Parris Olympics. I can’t wait to see him destroy the European big men and lead USA to Gold!

He will not be getting that whistle. Let’s see how he plays.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,088

Post#140 » by Wolfgang630 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:27 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Thank god refs didn’t fall for this one. Just gross basketball.

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Legit loser basketball. Garbage Harden did all the time. Amazing when the refs didn’t give it to him he had a mediocre first quarter.

Return to The General Board