What is a TRAVEL in the NBA?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is this a legal basketball move?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:08 pm

It's an obvious travel
77%
It's hard to say in real time
10%
The play is legal; now stop creating stupid threads in GB.
13%

Total votes: 52

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,094

Re: What is a TRAVEL in the NBA? 

Post#121 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:28 pm

KMartsCrew wrote:So this s*** just randomly popped into my Instagram feed today...

Not only is this garbage allowed, but you got teams proudly posting it as if it were some sort of crazy move worthy of highlighting. This league has become an absolute joke.

I'm sure you'll get people in here defending how the language of the rule now somehow leaves room for this kind of garbage to be interpreted as a legal move-- I don't care. Whether the league, in their clownish quest for video game scores, made garbage like this "legal" or just flat out refuses to enforce fundamentally basic basketball rules, It's still not right, outrageously so.

You can call this whatever you want, but not basketball, this is not basketball in my book.

Go in the rule book and cite the offense. That’s a legal play.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,897

Post#122 » by theforumblue » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:19 am

KMartsCrew wrote:So this s*** just randomly popped into my Instagram feed today...

Not only is this garbage allowed, but you got teams proudly posting it as if it were some sort of crazy move worthy of highlighting. This league has become an absolute joke.

I'm sure you'll get people in here defending how the language of the rule now somehow leaves room for this kind of garbage to be interpreted as a legal move-- I don't care. Whether the league, in their clownish quest for video game scores, made garbage like this "legal" or just flat out refuses to enforce fundamentally basic basketball rules, It's still not right, outrageously so.

You can call this whatever you want, but not basketball, this is not basketball in my book.

This is pretty ridiculous. Two handed pass to himself. Wow.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#123 » by Lamak » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:42 am

Seems like 4 steps is a travel now, before it was anything more than 2 steps, but that was before the extra gather step turned it into 3.
Brooklyn Nets
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,391

Post#124 » by alebaba » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:56 am

travel, if Im allow to do this at my pick up, ill be unguardable, forreal. The game is more skill because the nba rules allow it to be, its not as limited as it was in the 80s and 90s, remember that.

SNPA wrote:Some of ya’ll need to accept that NBA players have evolved in the last twenty years and can now dribble one time between half court and the basket. This isn’t your great grandpas plumber anymore. Sure, it might look like five steps but that’s just the gather step, or two…or three. Modern players are so athletic they can take three steps while gathering.

Bruh, what are you even on? This type of step-back is honestly the easiest to do. It legit took me a day to get it down, while it honestly took me like freaking 2 months to figure out how to do the Paul Pierce/Jordan step-back, the legit one.

This step back is harder than any of those step back you see in todays game, took me months to get it down, while the new step back, literally took me a freaking day.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,253

Post#125 » by SNPA » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:16 am

alebaba wrote:travel, if Im allow to do this at my pick up, ill be unguardable, forreal. The game is more skill because the nba rules allow it to be, its not as limited as it was in the 80s and 90s, remember that.

SNPA wrote:Some of ya’ll need to accept that NBA players have evolved in the last twenty years and can now dribble one time between half court and the basket. This isn’t your great grandpas plumber anymore. Sure, it might look like five steps but that’s just the gather step, or two…or three. Modern players are so athletic they can take three steps while gathering.

Bruh, what are you even on? This type of step-back is honestly the easiest to do. It legit took me a day to get it down, while it honestly took me like freaking 2 months to figure out how to do the Paul Pierce/Jordan step-back, the legit one.

This step back is harder than any of those step back you see in todays game, took me months to get it down, while the new step back, literally took me a freaking day.

Yeah, accurate quoting and following the thread are learned skills.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#126 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:01 pm

Brutal

Read on Twitter
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,528

Post#127 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:32 pm

;pp=ygUeV2h5IHBlb3BsZSBoYXRlIHRoZSBuYmEgdHJhdmVs
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#128 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:36 pm

It’s really not the refs fault.

I mean it is, but they are just doing what they are told. This is a directive from the NBA and starts at the top.

They are butchering the sport. Wild to me Silver got an extension.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#129 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,381

Post#130 » by xBulletproof » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 pm

Travel is a sometimes issue. People not understanding the rules around traveling is a bigger issue. I still see people calling a step through and 3 steps between dribbles traveling. The step through is even more fun because they try to act like it's 'new rules' when I was taught it in the 90's by Detlef Schrempf. :lol: Let alone the more complicated issues.

The real problem in the NBA is carrying. Endless carrying.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,077

Post#132 » by ItsDanger » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm

People have lost sight of why traveling wasn't allowed in the first place. The "intent" of the rule. They slacked off on rule interpretations to jack up offense.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#133 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:22 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:It’s really not the refs fault.

I mean it is, but they are just doing what they are told. This is a directive from the NBA and starts at the top.

Yup, I'd go further and say it is the fans fault. As a collective fans have made clear they prefer super high scoring games featured around the face up game. And the ideal player for fan enagement is a slashing wing.

By contrast fans have made clear they aren't interested as much in lower scoring games or teams built around collective passing. So the NBA designed a rule book to ensure that the most efficient style of play is the one fans want.

The refs weren't wrong. This isn't a travel by the NBA standards but it would be with a proper rule book.

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#134 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

In 5 years that will be considered a legal move under the umbrella term "gathering."
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#135 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

It is brutal where the integrity of the game is at.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,094

Post#136 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:42 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:It’s really not the refs fault.

Yup, I'd go further and say it is the fans fault. As a collective fans have made clear they prefer super high scoring games featured around the face up game. And the ideal player for fan enagement is a slashing wing.

By contrast fans have made clear they aren't interested as much in lower scoring games or teams built around collective passing. So the NBA designed a rule book to ensure that the most efficient style of play is the one fans want.

The refs weren't wrong. This isn't a travel by the NBA standards but it would be with a proper rule book.

Wait, why are we complaining about this one? Like he took too many steps? That is a legal play even with high school rules
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#137 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:45 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#138 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 pm

I honestly can't tell anymore...I've been gaslit so much.

Travel or nah?

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,024

Post#139 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I honestly can't tell anymore...I've been gaslit so much.

Travel or nah?

Read on Twitter
It use to be a travel.
Bounce the ball once before you take steps.
any given moment is different and it depends on who the ballhandler is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#140 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 pm

HMFFL wrote:It use to be a travel.
Bounce the ball once before you take steps.

Playground and youth bball rules agree with you. The fact these travel issues have engulfed both he collegiate game and the wone's game is...discouraging. :nonono:

Return to The General Board