What is a TRAVEL in the NBA?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is this a legal basketball move?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:08 pm

It's an obvious travel
77%
It's hard to say in real time
10%
The play is legal; now stop creating stupid threads in GB.
13%

Total votes: 52

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,986

Re: What is a TRAVEL in the NBA? 

Post#81 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:40 pm

RichieBuckets wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was watching this live and wondered why no one, commentators, players, refs!, made a big deal about it. Felt like I was taking crazy pills!

Same. I'm pretty much the last guy on earth to complain about travels not getting called in the NBA, but I did a spit take watching that. It's one thing to pick up on the gather so you get that semi-third step, but that was like a comedy skit. He picked up his dribble outside the 3-point line. :lol: :lol: :lol:
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,655

Post#82 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:08 pm

Read the rules on the gather step.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#83 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:11 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
RichieBuckets wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was watching this live and wondered why no one, commentators, players, refs!, made a big deal about it. Felt like I was taking crazy pills!

Same. I'm pretty much the last guy on earth to complain about travels not getting called in the NBA, but I did a spit take watching that. It's one thing to pick up on the gather so you get that semi-third step, but that was like a comedy skit. He picked up his dribble outside the 3-point line. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a gather step on the first. So he went gather one two. What the refs look for is when the ball is in two hands or cradled in the elbow and frozen. When it is just in one hand they don't count it as gathered because of the hesitation move.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,897

Post#84 » by theforumblue » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:17 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
RichieBuckets wrote: I was watching this live and wondered why no one, commentators, players, refs!, made a big deal about it. Felt like I was taking crazy pills!

That was a gather step on the first. So he went gather one two. What the refs look for is when the ball is in two hands or cradled in the elbow and frozen. When it is just in one hand they don't count it as gathered because of the hesitation move.

the hand being "under" the ball has gotten a extremely liberal interpretation which is contributing to the confusion.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#85 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:20 pm

a travel is getting from here to there unfairly within the context of the D being handcuffed and shackled
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#86 » by kodo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:30 pm

People get caught up in the steps, usually what is the most contentious is the gather. You could theoretically go from one basket to the other basket if you are "gathering" the entire time. There is no strict mechanical interpretation of the gather.

In that famous Corey Brewer clip, he bats the ball down and then palms it and then collects it. All those steps happened during the process of gathering. As long as officials are "whatever" on gathering, the # of total steps on a move is almost irrelevant.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:51 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:Read the rules on the gather step.

prophet_of_rage wrote:That was a gather step on the first.

So he went gather one two.

Am I the only one who counts four steps before the dunk?
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,073

Post#88 » by SerialChiller » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:10 pm

Unfortunately everything that helps the offense is what the NBA has become all about and defense is getting fazed out as its just not a fair playing feild. Its a real shame, Silver likes crazy high scores for casual ratings and the game is compromised and pretty much becoming a 3pt shootout.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,986

Post#89 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

You are not
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#90 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:06 pm

what makes the "gather" possible is the liberal interpretation of carrying

the carry gives the gather permission
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,034

Post#91 » by mediocrityrules » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:14 pm

Carrying these days i feel is more of an issue than traveling, and it's getting worse.
Circling calendars since 2021
aemannarwal
Junior
And1: 246

Post#92 » by aemannarwal » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 pm

Either it is a carry or a travel. If it is neither, then this is not basketball just NBA
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#93 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 pm

I haven't read this thread...

But I'm going to assume every1 has different answers...

And that's the problem...
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#94 » by perempe20 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am

Just saw this video.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,094

Post#95 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:00 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:The first step he uses to push off into his 1-2 step back is treated as a gather step, even though yes it technically was after the gather.
In the NBA you get a 3rd step called a gather step, where by rule they don't count the step that occurs with the gather. However, even that lax rule gets enforced laxly, like here, so you can gather and then take 3 steps so long as the first step occurs reasonably soon after the gather.
Bit convoluted and technical, but basically yeah the NBA isn't in the business of enforcing rules anymore, they're in the business of letting guys do whatever it takes to get more buckets so they can push the narrative that the skill level is eons ahead of what it was even 10 years ago.

The toe tap ensures that the foot work allows this. This has been the rule for decades, but the mba clarified it a few years ago. Players were just kneecapping themselves with lack of knowledge. Many of the moves of early lebron that people complained about were in fact legal moves. Like the infamous botched game winner against Washington like 6 years ago comes to mind right away
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#96 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:15 pm

theforumblue wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Same. I'm pretty much the last guy on earth to complain about travels not getting called in the NBA, but I did a spit take watching that. It's one thing to pick up on the gather so you get that semi-third step, but that was like a comedy skit. He picked up his dribble outside the 3-point line.

the hand being "under" the ball has gotten a extremely liberal interpretation which is contributing to the confusion.
The hand under the ball doesn't even matter any more in the gather. That's problematic, true, but it is what it is. So long as there is no dribble after the hand uis placed under the ball there will not be a gather counted.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#97 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
How many steps.do you count after he has the ball in two hands?

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#99 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm

I love the NBA but the NBA has a far more liberal definition of travel than any basketball league in the world. Players can make it from half court to the hoop on one bounce. Basically in the NBA a travel will only be called if the ball handler blatantly fumbles without any defender interference the handle.

All the other components of travelying: carrying, number of steps, gathering have been eliminated by the NBA.

And I don't say this with anger. American basketball fans have made very clear that when they watch a basketball game they want to see super athletic players face up and dunk the ball. that's what has brought fans into the sport. And the NBA's rule book is designed to give the fans what they want.

Take carrying as an example. If the NBA actually rigourously enforced the carry rules it would be way harder for a 7 fter to face up and play de facto point. You could just put a smaller player on them and force either travels or steals every time they dribbled. But with the NBA's legalization of carrying 7 fters being point guards is very viable.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#100 » by Karate Diop » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:30 pm

What makes it worse is that you've got InstaBros out there making videos about all these sweet moves they do that are clearly travels, but justifying them in some weird way that is confusing the masses...

Return to The General Board