Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,191

Re: Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray? 

Post#81 » by dygaction » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:44 am

Fundamentals21 wrote:Murray is an ok kind of guy with tons of flaws, including inefficient scoring. He has a decent passing game and some defense as well, but overall he's def. the kind of guy you can replace in your lineup and come up with something good. I wasn't overly impressed with him in all his SA time.

Trae has some flaws on defense as well, but he's a much better player with high potency to play like a star PG. If I had a choice, Murray would be first to go.

You are comparing a $18M/yr player that can be the 6th highest paid player on Celtics with a $40M franchise player who earns more than anyone on Celtics payroll this year.

For the 30 teams, when you force them to commit one of their contracts, I think Murray would be picked up more. Spurs may pickup Trae to pair with Wemby for the skinny asymmetrical towers
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 347

Post#82 » by Bloodbather » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:51 am

The Dejounte move didn't work the way the Hawks thought it would. They brought him in to balance Trae's defensive woes and to be a secondary playmaker/scorer, but he appears to have left his defense in San Antonio. The offensive fit was iffy but it was an acceptable gamble for the promise of improvement on perimeter defense, but that improvement never happened.

The Hawks are much worse than they should be on paper and they aren't going anywhere with this roster. They should make everyone except Jalen Johnson available for trade.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#83 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:45 am

Bloodbather wrote:The Dejounte move didn't work the way the Hawks thought it would. They brought him in to balance Trae's defensive woes and to be a secondary playmaker/scorer, but he appears to have left his defense in San Antonio. The offensive fit was iffy but it was an acceptable gamble for the promise of improvement on perimeter defense, but that improvement never happened.

The Hawks are much worse than they should be on paper and they aren't going anywhere with this roster. They should make everyone except Jalen Johnson available for trade.
I feel exactly the same about the roster. The Hawks have no future with this current roster from what I can tell. I don't believe Trae Young will ever win a championship unless he has an elite 5 like Wemby or Jokic.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,254

Post#84 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:33 am

This team does have some tradeable assets. All rotation guys except bogdan are under 30. Hunter is averaging 61% TS and 40% 3pt shooting. Jalen johnson is having a breakout year. Both bogi and dejpunte are signed long term on excellent contracts.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:This team does have some tradeable assets. All rotation guys except bogdan are under 30. Hunter is averaging 61% TS and 40% 3pt shooting. Jalen johnson is having a breakout year. Both bogi and dejounte are signed long term on excellent contracts.

Hawks have made some mistakes over the years, but are still in decent shape asset wise.

(Though owing picks from 2025-2027 will really hurt.)

I have to think that DeJounte has greatly increased his trade value over the past 2 months.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

He's a lead PG, even if he should only be a 3rd option. Can help a ton of WC Teams in the playoffs next season.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

hmmmmmm

Read on Twitter
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#88 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Hawks are trying to hang on to Dejounte just long enough to make sure the pick they give the Spurs next year is extra juicy.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,737

Post#89 » by thelead » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

44 shots to score 44 points... but still, I'd easily take him on the magic. I think the Hawks will try to move Trae for a massive haul this summer unless the FO isn't fond of Dejounte's personality. I doubt it's truly an issue though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

Hell of a month to get hot...

Read on Twitter
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 608

Post#91 » by madskillz8 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

There are a few examples of he's being pr*ck on the court. Just speculating but maybe he's the same off the court, and his personality is rubbing his teammates and team personnel the wrong way?

You can say Spurs simply decided to tank and he was causing them to lose some lottery balls, but two times in a row (within 24 months) teams are trying to trade him away while he is performing very good on paper. At this point, I think GMs of other 28 teams wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole unless the there is big discount.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#92 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Hawks are 12-10 without Trae Young this season. Not that small a sample size. Trae is a great offensive player but they're not a great fit together. One would think they should make a decision on keeping either Trae or Dejounte although there may not be that much pressure until the 2025/26 season when Trae can threaten to not pick-up his player option the following season.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,016

Post#93 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Hawks have made some mistakes over the years, but are still in decent shape asset wise.

I have to think that DeJounte has greatly increased his trade value over the past 2 months.

I wonder whether a team will see him as a guy that's highly defensively capable, but not a game changer on his own. If used right as a cog in an overall system, he's a great defender. Wiggins for example has not looked nearly as good without Draymond to cover up any mistakes and help him/the whole defense be in the right spot. With Draymond he plays a crucial role and is the #2 defender for GSW.

I think if given the right circumstances DM can still be a useful defender, just not a guaranteed impact guy like say a Jrue type. I wanted the Warriors to consider making a move for him, as I think he's shown he is defensively capable in the right situation. And on offense the Warriors really could use a young, athletic ball handler.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#94 » by dygaction » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

Any Spurs fans want to have Dejounte Murray back, or Trae, to pair with Wemby? If so, what is the package you want to offer?
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,294

Post#95 » by Black Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I wonder whether a team will see him as a guy that's highly defensively capable, but not a game changer on his own. If used right as a cog in an overall system, he's a great defender. Wiggins for example has not looked nearly as good without Draymond to cover up any mistakes and help him/the whole defense be in the right spot. With Draymond he plays a crucial role and is the #2 defender for GSW.

I think if given the right circumstances DM can still be a useful defender, just not a guaranteed impact guy like say a Jrue type. I wanted the Warriors to consider making a move for him, as I think he's shown he is defensively capable in the right situation. And on offense the Warriors really could use a young, athletic ball handler.

What can the Warriors offer? The Hawks overpaid for Murray and want to get a big return.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,016

Post#96 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

Black Jack wrote:What can the Warriors offer? The Hawks overpaid for Murray and want to get a big return.

After the 2024 draft the only 1st round pick owed to another team is a top 20 protected pick to the Wizards in 2030. Lots of picks, and some young players on the Warriors.

Murray has depreciated since being traded, though I agree he's had a nice run lately he's still not the same value before he was traded. I think a young player, a future pick, and salary filler would be enough. Basically a 2 FRP value vs. the 3 he fetched in a trade.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#97 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

The issue has always been Trae. He's good enough to build around and become a competitive team that makes the playoffs but not good enough to actually contend due to his size and defense. They have to move Trae.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,795

Post#98 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

dygaction wrote:Any Spurs fans want to have Dejounte Murray back, or Trae, to pair with Wemby? If so, what is the package you want to offer?

Probably DJ. He's been with the Spurs before ( a long time) and is better on defense and bigger in size. Kind of a messy break up with him and Pop, but things can work out again ( have patched it up a bit recently).

Maybe trade for some draft picks?

But, I don't think that the Hawks want to move him.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#99 » by dygaction » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

jkvonny wrote:
dygaction wrote:Any Spurs fans want to have Dejounte Murray back, or Trae, to pair with Wemby? If so, what is the package you want to offer?

Probably DJ. He's been with the Spurs before ( a long time) and is better on defense and bigger in size. Kind of a messy break up with him and Pop, but things can work out again.

Fair, but Trae/Wemby p&r should be a natural mismatch and nightmare to defend. Players tend to see horizontally but they now have to split eyesight vertically to look at Trae's dribble and Wemby's lob the same time.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,795

Post#100 » by jkvonny » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

dygaction wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

Probably DJ. He's been with the Spurs before ( a long time) and is better on defense and bigger in size. Kind of a messy break up with him and Pop, but things can work out again.

Fair, but Trae/Wemby p&r should be a natural mismatch and nightmare to defend. Players tend to see horizontally but they now have to split eyesight vertically to look at Trae's dribble and Wemby's lob the same time.

True.

Return to The General Board