Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Re: Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray? 

Post#21 » by BigGargamel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:03 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:Is it fair to say the hawks should trade every1 besides young and jalen johnson and try to rebuild this team from the ground up? Trae is young enough they can take a few years to build a team around him...

Easier said than done, and virtually impossible when their picks are going to San Antonio.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#22 » by Zeno » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:04 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:Is it fair to say the hawks should trade every1 besides young and jalen johnson and try to rebuild this team from the ground up? Trae is young enough they can take a few years to build a team around him...

I don’t see the path forward with Young on a supermax if the owner is cheap. How do we not end up in the same place again eventually needing to dump salary because you don’t want to pay everyone?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#23 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:05 pm

BigGargamel wrote:

Easier said than done, and virtually impossible when their picks are going to San Antonio.

Well hopefully they would get some picks... And hopefully the trades they make get some useful players back... But I mean they need to do something right?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#24 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:09 pm

Zeno wrote:

I don’t see the path forward with Young on a supermax if the owner is cheap. How do we not end up in the same place again eventually needing to dump salary because you don’t want to pay everyone?

Murray isn't worth a significant contract, so he's a clear candidate, so it makes sense.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#25 » by magee » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:10 pm

Not sure if Miami wants to get into a high-end tax apron, but Lowry, Caleb Martin, Nikola Jovic and picks for Murray and Capela would add some extra depth to the Heat's guard rotation and give the them a big who can properly spell Bam off the bench for the playoffs.

Atlanta would get some money freed up and could push Martin in a separate trade to a contender for a pick.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#26 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:13 pm

Zeno wrote:What is being rumoured is a horrific return for Murray. Wiz are asking for more for Kyle Kuzma.

Kuzma has a reasonable 3yrs /65mil left, Murray has a significant 4yrs/$120 mil. That’s a big factor against Murray.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#27 » by EArl » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?
DLo + 2029 Pick swap for Dejounte Murray. Who says yes :D

I say yes 8-)
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#28 » by shrink » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:21 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?

Just the media trying to drive every single player in the NBA to the Lakers..for that same worthless package.

True. Shams and others are saying that if ATL even trades Murray to the Lakers, and Reeves isn’t in the deal, they’ll want the future Lakers 1st, a pick swap, and the Lakers need to find a third team to take on DLo. And that offer still might not win.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,393

Post#29 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:26 pm

If Dejounte has defensive value, it's at the point guard position where he has plus length. The hasn't been a good defender for the Hawks at all, and the whole idea of him was: adding a POA defender to make it easier to hide Trae. He hasn't done the job they need him to do. The defense has been better with Dejounte on the bench. The defense has been better with Trae on the floor than it has been with Dejounte (yikes).

He's shouldered some scoring load but doesn't boost the offense. Dejounte and Trae both do their best work when the other guy is on the bench. It just hasn't been a good fit.

I think Dejounte would do better as a point guard on a team where the primary scorer isnt another guard. Pelicans, Heat, Clippers are nice fits amongst contenders. I like the Spurs rumours too where he could run pick & roll with Wemby.

I get the Lakers rumors, but I don't love the Lakers once again downgrading their shooting (D'Lo to Dejounte). Sure he's shooting 38% from 3 (and is solid at pull up 3s) but his averages over the past 3 years on C&S and wide open looks are very poor.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#30 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I think Dejounte would do better as a point guard on a team where the primary scorer isnt another guard. Pelicans, Heat, Clippers are nice fits amongst contenders. I like the Spurs rumours too where he could run pick & roll with Wemby.

Pops does tend to structure his sets well to drag players up. And Murray's sole All-Star/quality impact season WAS with San Antonio (though he's getting more corner 3s since he's been in Atlanta).

I get the Lakers rumors, but I don't love the Lakers once again downgrading their shooting (D'Lo to Dejounte). Sure he's shooting 38% from 3 (and is solid at pull up 3s) but his averages over the past 3 years on C&S and wide open looks are very poor.

Russell is definitely a superior above-break 3pt shooter. He's also a bleh impact player on O, but the Lakers need all the spacing they can get. The question becomes "is Murray in the corner of comparable value to Russell's impact as an above-break guy unassisted," I guess.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Post#31 » by The Master » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:30 pm

Murray is overrated + terrible fit to the Hawks team, that's why. Perhaps they can find someone thinking of Dejounte highly, but it seems unlikely.

Still, the ideal scenario for Hawks is trading Murray for some starter-level player (as Dejounte on his own is starter-level player) and first round pick, then retool with addition of their 2024s draft pick, perhaps with a trade for 2nd-fiddle type of a player or more patient depth-building centred around young guys.

They're so Trae-dependant now, basically if he gets bored by playing for a mediocre team and requests a trade/ignites chaos, with no control over their picks until 2028, they're cooked. So they have to do something and it doesn't look like they have any flexibility, but that's the consequence of throwing three first round picks for a starting guard not complementing your franchise player in any way.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#32 » by Zeno » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:43 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Zeno wrote:What is being rumoured is a horrific return for Murray. Wiz are asking for more for Kyle Kuzma.

Kuzma has a reasonable 3yrs /65mil left, Murray has a significant 4yrs/$120 mil. That’s a big factor against Murray.

I don’t think Kuzma’s contract is reasonable at all. Also Murray’s extension was thought of as a deal just this summer when it was signed. They are foolish if they take these kind of garbage offers and not waiting for the market to change.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,666

Post#33 » by ChuckChilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:00 am

Now that Siakim is out of the picture, all the proposed trades for Murray have been terrible. I hope we wait until the off season to make moves because none of the proposed ones makes sense for us.

But the reason the Hawks are looking to move him is that he didn't provide the impact that we thought he would and we are losing a bunch of games we probably should be winning. So its hard to just stand pat when he it looks like what we have isn't working. I wish we could trade Hunter and one of our centers instead for another key player.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#34 » by louc1970 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 am

BlzMwt wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Good question. I get they want to improve their roster but the trade proposals I keep seeing stink and he is on a team-friendly deal and clearly not the issue in ATL. Trading him for mid/late 1sts seems kinda pointless when ATL doesn't own their draft for three seasons after this summer

The rumour is the Lakers 2029 first round pick... which I would assume could be quite valuable as after this season or next I don't see the team being very successful barring a major free agent signing. Even the swap could be valuable.

It is too far out to determine value. It’s the Lakers. Once they have left the LBJ era, and AD is gone, a new set of FAs will be the rage and they will have LA as their destination.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#35 » by bstein14 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 am

ChuckChilly wrote:Now that Siakim is out of the picture, all the proposed trades for Murray have been terrible. I hope we wait until the off season to make moves because none of the proposed ones makes sense for us.

But the reason the Hawks are looking to move him is that he didn't provide the impact that we thought he would and we are losing a bunch of games we probably should be winning. So its hard to just stand pat when he it looks like what we have isn't working. I wish we could trade Hunter and one of our centers instead for another key player.

I believe you also don't currently have the money to both resign Bey and add an MLE FA without hitting the luxury tax.... so the high value of some of the current contracts will start hampering improvement unless you offload some money (perhaps for guys on cheaper rookie deals or more value contracts).
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#36 » by Dr Aki » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:11 am

It's cos their salary cap is **** and he's their most movable asset

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/yearly/cap/
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#37 » by Slim Charlez » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:14 am

louc1970 wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Good question. I get they want to improve their roster but the trade proposals I keep seeing stink and he is on a team-friendly deal and clearly not the issue in ATL. Trading him for mid/late 1sts seems kinda pointless when ATL doesn't own their draft for three seasons after this summer

The rumour is the Lakers 2029 first round pick... which I would assume could be quite valuable as after this season or next I don't see the team being very successful barring a major free agent signing. Even the swap could be valuable.

It is too far out to determine value. It’s the Lakers. Once they have left the LBJ era, and AD is gone, a new set of FAs will be the rage and they will have LA as their destination.

Besides Shaq 30 years ago what other top FA have the Lakers signed? I remember them striking out on B level guys like LMA and Melo every summer for the majority of the 2010's before Lebron decided he wanted to move to LA.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,203

Post#38 » by djsunyc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:17 am

fields + korver didn't make the murray deal so they're not attached to him. they obviously value trae more, which is correct and the fit hasn't been great. so move him now and hope to re-balance the team.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#39 » by Chinook » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:21 am

I don't think it's hard to see why the Hawks might want to trade Murray. It's that they seem to desperate to do it during this season that surprises me. They should wait until the draft if they don't get a better deal than we're seeing rumored.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#40 » by Optms » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:29 am

BigGargamel wrote:

Just the media trying to drive every single player in the NBA to the Lakers..for that same worthless package.

The media doesn't make these trades. Teams do. If the Lakers get stars, blame your franchise. Not the media.

Return to The General Board