Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,258

Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray? 

Post#1 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:00 pm

And what is their plan overall?
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

Re: Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray? 

Post#2 » by Gusto1903 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 pm

Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?
DLo + 2029 Pick swap for Dejounte Murray. Who says yes :D
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#3 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:02 pm

DJ has a pretty nice contract. That's his own fault for signing below market rate tbh.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,335

Post#4 » by Bornstellar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:04 pm

Good question. I get they want to improve their roster but the trade proposals I keep seeing stink and he is on a team-friendly deal and clearly not the issue in ATL. Trading him for mid/late 1sts seems kinda pointless when ATL doesn't own their draft for three seasons after this summer
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#5 » by BadWolf » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:07 pm

Lakers tax.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:20 pm

Why are they trying to move a 7th-year player (not counting his ACL year off) who is a notably inefficient volume scorer and only has a single season of meaningful offensive impact?
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Post#7 » by _jin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:20 pm

I dont think anybody knows what's the Hawks plan. I dont think the Hawks know. They got rid of Travis Schlenk because he didnt agree with that Murray trade that the owner's son wanted, gave away their future to the Spurs in the process, and less than 2 years later they are backpedaling and trying to offload him. They can't rebuild, and are stuck in the mediocre zone where they're a guaranteed playin team with no lottery and no playoffs in sight.
It reminds me of FC Nantes, the club I support in the french soccer league, which has been owned for 20 years by a rich guy who's trying to play GM with his son. Unsurprisingly, they've been constantly failing for 2 decades. I hope it wont last as long for Atlanta.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,962

Post#8 » by BigGargamel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?

Just the media trying to drive every single player in the NBA to the Lakers..for that same worthless package.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#9 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:31 pm

Atlanta is doing bad and Trae is more valuable.

Dejounte is their best trade asset.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:32 pm

tsherkin wrote:Why are they trying to move a 7th-year player (not counting his ACL year off) who is a notably inefficient volume scorer and only has a single season of meaningful offensive impact?

Huh? Murray is shooting 47/38/83 this season. His career high in scoring is 21, also this season. He's definitely not an inefficient volume scorer. Besides that, he's on the team to defend and help take some of the load off Trae. Not score/carry the offense.

The Hawks issues aren't offense, they score plenty. It's that they can't defend anything. If they should trade anyone, it's Trae. He's one of the worst defenders in the league, if not the worst. It's almost impossible to build around that type of player.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#11 » by shrink » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:37 pm

DeJounte has been great offensively, but any team with Trae Young needs the SG to be super on defense, and Murray hasn’t been as good as the Hawks hoped. Since the pairing is part of the reason they are 18-24, they probably need to trade one or the other.

Trae is better, but he needs the ball in his hands all the time and a great defense behind him. Most teams already either have their main ball handler (or have invested lottery equity in a young guy for that role), and even fewer have the defense Trae requires. DeJounte will have a lot more suitors.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#12 » by Edrees » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:40 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?

Just the media trying to drive every single player in the NBA to the Lakers..for that same worthless package.

That's not the media. That's players agents (for free agents) and front offices (for trades) trying to drive up the price on their player by rumoring Lakers. Maybe a team trying to trade for him will only give up a first for Murray, but if they think he'll end up on the Lakers they might add in a pick swap.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:47 pm

JDR720 wrote:Huh? Murray is shooting 47/38/83 this season. His career high in scoring is 21, also this season. He's definitely not an inefficient volume scorer.

He's a 56.5% TS guy. That's 97 TS+ and -1.6% rTS.

That's inefficient by any definition you care to conjure.

Besides that, he's on the team to defend and help take some of the load off Trae. Not score/carry the offense.

Yes, and he isn't doing a good job of it, which is part of why that offense is ranked 12th in the league right now.

The Hawks issues aren't offense, they score plenty. It's that they can't defend anything.

Yes, they are the 4th-worst defense in the league. And their O is slightly above average.

If they should trade anyone, it's Trae. He's one of the worst defenders in the league, if not the worst. It's almost impossible to build around that type of player.

Nope, that's definitely not the way. Their offense would tank immediately and their D wouldn't improve enough for it to matter. What they need is for Trae to emphasize playmaking and not have to shoot as much. Him acting as the primary volume scorer is a much larger issue than his D.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,930

Post#14 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:48 pm

Lakers say yes faster than the Hawks could think twice about it.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Post#15 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:49 pm

tsherkin wrote:Why are they trying to move a 7th-year player (not counting his ACL year off) who is a notably inefficient volume scorer and only has a single season of meaningful offensive impact?

I thought you made a mistake of calling him an inefficient scorer but my gosh, you are right. :( and the Lakers are rumored to have great interest in acquiring him.
56.5TS% is not that great, actually lower than D'Lo who currently has 59.4TS%.
And yes, I know he's a better defender but still....
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:

I thought you made a mistake of calling him an inefficient scorer but my gosh, you are right. :( and the Lakers are rumored to have great interest in acquiring him.
56.5TS% is not that great, actually lower than D'Lo who currently has 59.4TS%.
And yes, I know he's a better defender but still....

Murray has value as a player, but it sure isn't as a 20 ppg scorer, that's all. Not everyone can do everything, after all, and that's fine. Lots of times, players are positioned poorly and it affects them badly because they aren't generational offensive players. In Murray's last season with the Spurs, he looked very different than his does now, right? He was still an inefficient scorer (partly because he's horrible at drawing fouls and loves his short middies too much), but his playmaking impact was quite a bit larger, so he had a better overall season as an offensive player.

He's still technically a net-positive player on offense for the same reason, but he's not a guy you want to funnel so many shots to as a result of his inefficiency.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:57 pm

Hawks are striking early, credit to them. Similar to how the wizards got off Westbrook just in time.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#18 » by Zeno » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:57 pm

What is being rumoured is a horrific return for Murray. Wiz are asking for more for Kyle Kuzma.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#19 » by BlzMwt » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:59 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Good question. I get they want to improve their roster but the trade proposals I keep seeing stink and he is on a team-friendly deal and clearly not the issue in ATL. Trading him for mid/late 1sts seems kinda pointless when ATL doesn't own their draft for three seasons after this summer

The rumour is the Lakers 2029 first round pick... which I would assume could be quite valuable as after this season or next I don't see the team being very successful barring a major free agent signing. Even the swap could be valuable.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#20 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:59 pm

Is it fair to say the hawks should trade every1 besides young and jalen johnson and try to rebuild this team from the ground up? Trae is young enough they can take a few years to build a team around him...

Return to The General Board