Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Re: Why are the Hawks trying to move Dejounte Murray? 

Post#61 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:37 am

They have two ball dominant guards who don’t play defense as their focal point.

Yes, that’s correct, Murray is not the defender everyone thinks he is.

Hawks have a poorly constructed roster around Trae.
Go Raps!!
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,666

Post#62 » by ChuckChilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:40 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Bad fit with Trae, who they still see as a franchise player. LOL.

That’s the Hawks problem.

You have to understand the history of the Hawks. Our fanbase is inconsistent. We don't draw free agency superstars. And Trae is the closet thing we've had to one since Dominique Wilkins (who some argue wasn't really a superstar player). Plus the "Luka Trade" hanging over our heads, it makes it much harder for us to just ship him out for whatever we can get.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,070

Post#63 » by Lalouie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:46 am

because lebrob wants him and he's a klutch klient

yet another reason to disparage lebrob
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#64 » by tsherkin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Goes to show you how lethal NBA offenses have become that a guy with 47/38/83 shooting splits is less efficient than average. The guy just can't get to the line to save his life.

Yeah, I mean a decade ago, it would have been a different story, right? But he's behind the curve for modern NBA offenses. It's been a half decade or so of that efficiency being league average or worse, so it's not even new anymore. If he could get back to finishing competently in close, things might change a little, but he's been as dreadful as he was over his first few seasons, and that's a problem. And yeah, balls at drawing fouls as I and others have mentioned. Mostly because he pulls up far too regularly, much more so at this stage of his career.

cgf wrote:Who also hasn't been a defensive difference maker since his knee injury, while flat out struggling defensively at the 2 position because he's very weak.

Another important remark.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#65 » by Richard Miller » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:19 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:Is it fair to say the hawks should trade every1 besides young and jalen johnson and try to rebuild this team from the ground up? Trae is young enough they can take a few years to build a team around him...

If they are going to rebuild from the ground up, then they should see what they can get for Trae
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,092

Post#66 » by tcheco » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:29 pm

I don't really think they are trying to move more than willing to listen to offers?
This team is not well built, Hunter being a bust set them back, having 2 centers that can't shoot the 3 doesn't help much, Dejounte at the 2 next to a ball dominant player hasn't worked much. Bogdanovic is great but it feels like his qualities overlap too much with Young too.

Trading Murray makes sense if they can get a team to overpay for him, as they need assets. Ideally they get something for Capela and Bogs too, and start over next year
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#67 » by cgf » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:18 pm

FWIW I like JJ, OO, and Bogdanovic around Trae. I think Atlanta's main problem is that Trae just isn't the shooter that he has the reputation for being. If he was a lethal shooter then putting him off ball wouldn't be such a massive waste of what he's actually really good at...playmaking. But since Trae's not actually a great shooter, I think the Hawks have to just go with the heliocentric model and try to recreate what worked for them in 2021 and surround Trae with offball guys. They should be targeting the Mikal & Lauri's, not the Dejounte's of the NBA.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,813

Post#68 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:35 pm

Its time to cut bait and trade Trae Young
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,486

Post#69 » by DwayneSchintzus » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:37 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Also what kinda **** trade is that discussed lakers deal on the frontpage?
DLo + 2029 Pick swap for Dejounte Murray. Who says yes :D

as inept as i think the hawks front office is, there's no way they can give away Murray for that when they owe three 1sts and a swap for him, starting next year.

in less than 2 years you lit 2 FRPs on fire for absolutely nothing? i don't think they can do that with a straight face.
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#70 » by louc1970 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Slim Charlez wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:
The rumour is the Lakers 2029 first round pick... which I would assume could be quite valuable as after this season or next I don't see the team being very successful barring a major free agent signing. Even the swap could be valuable.

It is too far out to determine value. It’s the Lakers. Once they have left the LBJ era, and AD is gone, a new set of FAs will be the rage and they will have LA as their destination.

Besides Shaq 30 years ago what other top FA have the Lakers signed? I remember them striking out on B level guys like LMA and Melo every summer for the majority of the 2010's before Lebron decided he wanted to move to LA.

You answered your own question -LBJ. Then the forced trade of AD.
As great as Kobe was, few players wanted to be on his team. Just like few want to play with LBJ.
Mist give a political answer, but few want to be second fiddle or take such a pay cut to play with him.
louc1970
Senior

Post#71 » by louc1970 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:Hawks don't own their picks. They need to send Trae to play with Wemby (absolutely perfect fit), that way the hawks get their picks back since they'd be in the lottery, especially after trading trae. And then build around DJM as the PG, the position he needs to be playing, and other young players and draft early next year and rebuild.

Itll never happen ofc. They'll keep trae. Send djm for a mediocre haul. They won't have their picks so they're gonna draft 15-30 range and just continue being a treadmill team.

I think so as well. The Hawks are lottery with Young or without. Play-in is their ceiling.
louc1970
Senior

Post#72 » by louc1970 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 pm

Knicks218 wrote:Knicks-Fournier, Grimes and two 1st round picks
for
Hawks-Murray, Bey and AJ Griffin

PG-Brunson/McBride/Flynn
SG-Murray/DiVincenzo/Ryan
SF-Anunoby/Bey/Griffin
PF-Randle/Hart/Gibson
C-Hartenstein/Achiuwa/Sims

Switch out Bey for Bufkin.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,168

Post#73 » by rand » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:39 pm

Check out the +/- when Trae and Murray are on the court together. They're -5.6 per 100 this season, the worst for Trae with any teammate in the rotation. They were -15.3 together in the Celtics series last season.
Deviljho
Ballboy
And1: 73

Post#74 » by Deviljho » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 pm

I love Trae and absolutely think he’s a superstar. But perhaps he’s a third option on a championship team sort of player. That’s no snuff to his skillset. But he’s had legitimate teams built around him since he entered the league. At this point, maybe you need to take the ball out of his hands and let several other players handle the scoring. He can still be a deadly 18/12 with decent shooting if you find wings or a big that compliment his playmaking.

And Murray, I think he’s at his best as a sixth man. Again, we’ve seen him in favourable positions throughout his career. We know what he looks like bouncing back from injury. As a lead/complimentary passer/scorer, it isn’t working out. I think the Warriors should try and make a move with Atlanta at the deadline. Murray would be a boost to that team in the Chris Paul role, and he can be lower on the pecking order for offence/defence.

Trae and the Hawks need a year to adjust to a new system, owed picks be damned. The team needs continuity with their coaching, and Trae needs to shift to a Steve Nash/late-Jason Kidd role, which would make him an all-star again.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#76 » by Fundamentals21 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:48 am

Murray is an ok kind of guy with tons of flaws, including inefficient scoring. He has a decent passing game and some defense as well, but overall he's def. the kind of guy you can replace in your lineup and come up with something good. I wasn't overly impressed with him in all his SA time.

Trae has some flaws on defense as well, but he's a much better player with high potency to play like a star PG. If I had a choice, Murray would be first to go.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#77 » by basketballRob » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:25 am

I think Trae is the player that will get traded this summer.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#78 » by GANGSTERDOG » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 pm

3 First Round Picks, Anthony Black or Jett Howard and filler.
For Murray.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,956

Post#79 » by Eagle4 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 pm

Great player, never made sense to me either.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,254

Post#80 » by ShootersShoot » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 pm

JDR720 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Why are they trying to move a 7th-year player (not counting his ACL year off) who is a notably inefficient volume scorer and only has a single season of meaningful offensive impact?

Huh? Murray is shooting 47/38/83 this season. His career high in scoring is 21, also this season. He's definitely not an inefficient volume scorer. Besides that, he's on the team to defend and help take some of the load off Trae. Not score/carry the offense.

The Hawks issues aren't offense, they score plenty. It's that they can't defend anything. If they should trade anyone, it's Trae. He's one of the worst defenders in the league, if not the worst. It's almost impossible to build around that type of player.

His career high TS% is 56% and his career average is 53% TS..He has other strengths of course but he is relatively inefficient as a scorer. He has averaged at least 20ppg the past three seasons, so that counts as volume scoring in my book.

Return to The General Board