Bucks dropping to play-in territory?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,019

Re: Bucks dropping to play-in territory? 

Post#41 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:00 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:They are only 4 games ahead of the Heat and Magic. They have the second toughest remaining schedule.

For the bucks it never was or will be about the schedule it’s always about them and their Defense.
They have always been a top 10 D and rebounding team with Giannis and Lopez until Griffin took over best decision ever to fire him. Need Middleton back and if this team is healthy come playoffs they are a scary team and hard out for anyone.

The D part might have to do also with trading Holiday (good defensive player) for Lillard (bad defensive player).
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,336

Post#42 » by crkone » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:36 pm

nikster wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
nikster wrote:It was a genuine question and that's not really an answer. Apparently the coaching change didn't effect the D. It was a tough road trip but they had a rough first 10 games. They played Utah, Portland, Dallas without Irving, came home and had Charlotte, Miami without Jimmy, and back on the road lost to Memphis missing everyone

Bucks have been the 6th best defense since firing AG.

He also gave you 3 different answers, so yes, that could be considered an answer.

"New coach" is not really an answer. Of course he's a new coach, but what aspects of the game did it impact? It obviously didn't slow their defense, it improved quickly. Was it taking them time to adjust to the new offense? Was their issues with motivation as they adjusted etc...
The road trip doesn't explain the 2 losses to poor teams like Utah and Portland, nor does it explain the next 5 games that had losses to Heat without Butler, and a depleted Grizzlies. Middletons injury was actually an answer.

Either way, while it was fun to clown Doc, it was obvious the struggles wouldn't last that long
The opponents weren't that rough. It was probably the 4 back to backs in 15 days while having limited practice time.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,442

Post#43 » by Rendei » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:46 pm

The Bucks were in a massive funk before the all star break. I think they needed the break as badly as they needed a new coach.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,250

Post#44 » by Godymas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 pm

if Bucks don't go 3-0 in their next 3 then it's a concern
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,728

Post#45 » by holdenwait » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:03 pm

this is all part of the secret, in development future academy award winning Doc Rivers documentary..

chapter I. - "be careful who you hire as advisor"
chapter II. - "right before the road trip??"
chapter III. - " you want playoffs? you have to play IN first"
chapter IV - "does anyone have Bill Simmons' new #?"
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 896

Post#46 » by MiltownMadness » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:29 am

Bucks now a top 5 defense since Griffin was fired. The jump from AG to Doc has been unlike anything I've seen
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#47 » by Packbuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:07 am

Griffin the worst coach ever and there was people on here defending him lmfao
To all the doc haters he at least knows his personal and can coach to their strengths.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#48 » by jkvonny » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:19 am

Buck fans feellin themselves once again. lol
:lol:
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#49 » by disoblige » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:35 am

Even without a coach they are a good team.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 494

Post#50 » by DLoMor » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:39 am

Change bucks to 76ers
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,876

Post#51 » by Dick Tate » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:51 am

schnakenpopanz wrote:Last time I did a thread like this it was about the T-Wolves being bad at the start at the seaosn. Look where are they now?
Bucks fans should feel great

Can we refer to these as Poop Pants threads?
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#52 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:09 am

Packbuckman wrote:Griffin the worst coach ever and there was people on here defending him lmfao
To all the doc haters he at least knows his personal and can coach to their strengths.

Casual fans gonna casual
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#53 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:14 am

disoblige wrote:Even without a coach they are a good team.

Yes. Under Griffin they were winning despite him not because of him. Any fans who watched closely beyond the wins could tell that we were not playing championship caliber defense. At least Doc for all his faults, his teams always looked the part of organized, prepared contenders. His teams may have choked under some very unlucky circumstances but it's not like his teams never not belonged in the conversation. If he gets the Bucks a chip, that all goes away.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,276

Post#54 » by Ritzo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:02 am

It's not Doc's fault if CP3, PG, Embiid, Simmons and Harden were playoffs choke artists. I still don't like the Lillard trade tho.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,579

Post#55 » by KGtabake » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:10 am

Ritzo wrote:It's not Doc's fault if CP3, PG, Embiid, Simmons and Harden were playoffs choke artists. I still don't like the Lillard trade tho.

Some of it was his fault. You can't say he didn't have his share on the failures.
Especially the bubble loss was unreal the way it did happen.
But he's better than the coach they had before him for sure.
Their defense suddenly seems great again.

The Lillard trade is fine, everyone would have done the same. Even if he's cold, his impact is obvious. Teams cannot double Giannis now.
I said it again. The whole thing with Milwaukee is Middleton. If he's healthy, nobody is favourite against them.
A team with Giannis, Lillard, Lopez, Middleton.
With a 6th man in Portis. And the most efficient 3pt shooter this year in Beasley. That's not a play in team lol
This thread was very premature and i knew it from the beginning.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
otmshank1
Junior
And1: 416

Post#56 » by otmshank1 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Belt2a$$
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#57 » by LUKE23 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Bucks D rating under Grief: 21st
Bucks D rating since letting Grief go: T-2nd (I believe this is a 15-16 game span).
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#58 » by DutchManDanFan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:17 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Bucks D rating under Grief: 21st
Bucks D rating since letting Grief go: T-2nd (I believe this is a 15-16 game span).

"The Bucks have given up fewer than 100 points in four of their last seven contests after reaching that goal just once in their first 52 games of the season."
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,822

Post#59 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong.... did Doc just change their defense back to the exact same Bud style defense that gets them beat in the playoffs? Because that's what it looks like to me. They are just giving up the line again.

Wasn't the idea originally to get away from that for long term gain?
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#60 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong.... did Doc just change their defense back to the exact same Bud style defense that gets them beat in the playoffs? Because that's what it looks like to me. They are just giving up the line again.

Wasn't the idea originally to get away from that for long term gain?

It's more match-up specific than just a basic drop defense. They employed a drop against Minnesota but went to a switch-heavy look against Philly based on personnel and it's been plainly noticeable as far as improvement. Obviously, a basic drop defense against teams like Boston and Miami would be difficult because those teams have multiple guys who thrive off shooting off of high screens. Both Jason Timpf of Hoops Tonight and Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer have done pieces talking about their improvements.

The main playoff piece for them will be establishing a "Giannis @ C" lineup that will maintain solid defense without relying on the drop.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to The General Board