March Madness Discussion (Men's Nat'l Championship Game: Mon 4/8: Purdue vs UCONN)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

Re: March Madness Discussion and prospect watch 

Post#581 » by jkvonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:59 pm

Duke is too strong. JMU struggling, can't hit 3s and FTs (despite having a lot more FTs than Duke).
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,611

Post#582 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:04 pm

Jared McCain is on fire
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,355

Post#583 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:04 pm

McCain is going off.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#584 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:04 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:Duke's next. On the topic of big men, does Filipowski enter the draft this year? He considered and pulled out last year. IMO it won't hurt him to stay another year in college, get stronger, polish his game.

Has Ivicic declared?

Haven't heard any declarations. I think it'll happen after the tourney. What's your thought on him?

Like so many prospects in this draft, I'm both underinformed and somewhat underwhelmed-to-intrigued to look into more. I vaguely recall him from last season (unless I'm getting him mixed up). Anyway, there are enticements - great mobility, blocking, 3s, good passing vision, knows how to blend the big/forward features in a modern game.

But I don't know nearly enough about his mental makeup or defense - willingness, base potential, GAF compete level.

If the latter check out, hope we take a good look at him, provided he declares.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,804

Post#585 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:10 pm

God please let the next game be a good one. Big schools are killing lil ones as expected.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,669

Post#586 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 pm

Boy what an entertaining game!!!
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#587 » by jkvonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:23 pm

___Rand___ wrote:God please let the next game be a good one. Big schools are killing lil ones as expected.

Well, Gonzaga killed Kansas last night and Creighton killed Oregon in OT.

But, those small schools are powerhouses, tho. lol
They're the exception.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#588 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:51 pm

I'm not doing too bad in all of the people who filled out an ESPN bracket. I'm in the top 8.7 million.

UConn Huskies
bwgood77's Picks
RANK 8,649,989
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#589 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:57 pm

jkvonny wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:God please let the next game be a good one. Big schools are killing lil ones as expected.

They're the exception.

Zaga and Creighton aren't "small" basketball schools though.

Clemson Baylor is better. Bama Grand Canyon could be interesting because Bama is small and are poor in defense this year.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 994

Post#590 » by Dan33185 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 pm

That's not a flagrant...if anything that hit to the head is a flagrant on the offensive player (by the rules).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#591 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:08 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

They're the exception.

Clemson Baylor is better. Bama Grand Canyon could be interesting because Bama is small and are poor in defense this year.

Grand Canyon should have a chance given Bama lost by 22 to Kentucky and Kentucky lost to Oakland and they split with Auburn who lost to Yale. Even 2 seeded Tennessee who was supposed to be a top 5 team or close squeaked by Texas.

The SEC doesn't look so great.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#592 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

They're the exception.

Oregon also wouldn't be in the tourney if they didn't win their conference championship. NC State either, who I see you picked to win it all. What made you pick them?
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#593 » by jkvonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 pm

Grand Canyon Antelopes were a powerhouse back in the days. Won 3 National Championships in the NAIA during the '70s and '80s.

:hug:
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#594 » by jkvonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:24 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

They're the exception.

Oh, they are small lol. Compared to most Power Conference schools.

Def basketball schools tho. Been for years/decades.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#595 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:34 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Boy what an entertaining game!!!

Duke was my sleeper pick (if you want to call them that) for awhile. People slept on you guys for some reason. It's almost like people don't pay attention to the back half of the regular season and realize that Duke with McCain the way he's playing is a completely different team vs beginning of the season.

I'm going to take credit for the win
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#596 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:Well, Gonzaga killed Kansas last night and Creighton killed Oregon in OT.

They're the exception.

Oregon also wouldn't be in the tourney if they didn't win their conference championship. NC State either, who I see you picked to win it all. What made you pick them?

NC State has been playing really really well lately. Late season momentum is one factor (they beat Duke and UNC on their way to winning SEC tourney). They've also been play tough defense. They got a good front court with size and athleticism who can stand up to bigger teams. And they have been playing with poise and maturity that I like. The team LOOKS well-coached despite the record.

Now they will need some luck to beat UConn or AZ. And UConn and AZ are better bets to win it all. But picking NC State is more fun. I think they can make it to elite 8 in this bracket if they continue to play well.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#597 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:44 pm

jkvonny wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:Well, Gonzaga killed Kansas last night and Creighton killed Oregon in OT.

They're the exception.

Oh, they are small lol. Compared to most Power Conference schools.

Def basketball schools tho. Benn for years/decades.

I'm a fan of Nate Oats coaching. But this year he went to uber small backcourt with Sears and Estrada, and Griffin. Two of whom are barely 6'. Basically 3 guards and 2 PFs. He lost a few players unexpectedly to the draft (Bediako) and in the transfer portal due to pot possession so he's rolling with whatever he got. He's getting more size on the perimeter next year, but they're gonna be young.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#598 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:47 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

NC State has been playing really really well lately. Late season momentum is one factor (they beat Duke and UNC on their way to winning SEC tourney). They've also been play tough defense. They got a good front court with size and athleticism who can stand up to bigger teams. And they have been playing with poise and maturity that I like. The team LOOKS well-coached despite the record.

Now they will need some luck to beat UConn or AZ. And UConn and AZ are better bets to win it all. But picking NC State is more fun. I think they can make it to elite 8 in this bracket if they continue to play well.

Well it probably helped playing Oakland in the 2nd round. I would say Marquette would be really tough but they did struggle with Colorado, who's fairly tough, but not that great. Houston seems like a different beast though (of course they'd still have to win today and beat Duke).
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#599 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well it probably helped playing Oakland in the 2nd round. I would say Marquette would be really tough but they did struggle with Colorado, who's fairly tough, but not that great. Houston seems like a different beast though (of course they'd still have to win today and beat Duke).

We're going to have trouble if we play Clemson with their 2 bigs and the way they slow the game down.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#600 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 pm

Bama is COLD. STONE COLD. They seem real tight. So Grand Canyon got a chance here. Even though yeah Grand Canyon is also cold lol.

Return to The General Board