Anthony Edwards ends John Collins with massive dunk.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Re: Anthony Edwards ends John Collins with massive dunk. 

Post#81 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 pm

Turned the magnet on full blast for that one.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#82 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 pm

thinktank wrote:LOL at the few freaks saying offensive foul.

I mean, it's an obvious offensive foul by the rules considering Edwards initiated contact with his stretched out arm to Collins' eye. There's not really a debate to be had here.

Still a ridiculous display of athleticism that is rightfully appreciated and shared everywhere, and will be on his career highlight reel. Both of those things can be true at the same time.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#83 » by Wingy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 pm

Upperclass wrote:Wasnt a dunk..

I’m gonna be “those guys” with you.

Amazing play. Collins got destroyed. However, still not even a dunk.

Just like Blake Griffin’s super hyped “dunk” I can’t even remember who it was over, but everyone knows the one.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,212

Post#84 » by Quentin » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 pm

Always amazes me how haters are just gonna hate no matter what. :lol:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,866

Post#85 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 pm

who cares if its an offensive foul or not -- go look up Richard Jefferson on MKG. He got called for an offensive foul but it doesn't matter, still one of the best posters of all time.

Collins got got. It happens. Ant is a bad bad man.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,294

Post#86 » by levon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 pm

For folks wondering, the term for this is "thrunk". This is thrunk of the decade. I too prefer the wrist to actually slam against the rim for it to be called a dunk, but to each their own. In real time you can't tell that it's an offensive foul or a thrunk and it still gets you juiced.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 pm

Anthony Edwards ruined both of their nights...
:nonono:

Read on Twitter

RealGM Wiretap wrote:
Anthony Edwards dislocated his finger on a dunk over John Collins, he said in a postgame interview with Bally Sports North.

The dunk occurred in the third quarter with the Timberwolves trailing by a point.
Edwards returned to the game to shoot free throws with his fingers taped up.
Collins suffered a head contusion on the play, according to league sources.
Collins did not have a concussion.
Via Jon Krawczynski, Shams Charania, Alex Andrejev/The Athletic
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,135

Post#88 » by NYPiston » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 pm

Holy Forking Shirt Balls. That's like Dunk of the Century worthy or, in other words, just another day at the office for Anthony Edwards.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 915

Post#89 » by firedavidkahn » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:There's an inherent power at the end of every real dunk.

That power is not just the force required to throw the ball through the hoop. That power at the culmination of every real dunk is grabbing the rim.

Without it, it's too soft. It lacks the required "ending force" to seal the deal. It's incomplete, like kissing your date on her lips with your mouth hermetically shut. Most would still call that a "kiss", but those who know know you didn't really kiss her. You were right there but didn't "stick the landing".

Comparing a basketball dunk to kissing a girl.

Seek help :lol:
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,408

Post#90 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 pm

It was an impressive dunk (or layup or hook shot or finger roll or whatever else you want to call it). Obviously. But it was the atmosphere and everything that was happening that made it even more remarkable.

Watching it live was almost surreal.

The noise. The crowd... in Utah!... changed immediately. There was a buzz in the air that lingered for quite some time. That is not normal. But it is natural. Not many players could sway a crowd like that. We just witnessed it. Again... if possible to pick up on that portion of the game, listen to the sound of the arena before and after the dunk.

The uncertainty. Was Collins ok? Was Edwards ok? Was the Wolves best season in decades over (with Reid, Towns and Gobert already out)? Was it cruel irony that Edwards would be injured on such an iconic play. How Timberwolvesian! All of that lingered for what seemed like a long time as everyone was trying to come to terms with what just happened.

The photos. Pick one. You have the three photos. Takeoff. The dunk. The aftermath with a legendary and understandable image of Kyle Anderson in awe.

Then, the guy goes out and scores 25 2nd-half points without a TO despite $100M worth of talented frontline players on the bench to lead the Wolves to an important win.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,739

Post#91 » by thinktank » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm

The-Power wrote:

I mean, it's an obvious offensive foul by the rules considering Edwards initiated contact with his stretched out arm to Collins' eye. There's not really a debate to be had here.

Still a ridiculous display of athleticism that is rightfully appreciated and shared everywhere, and will be on his career highlight reel. Both of those things can be true at the same time.

It’s not Edward’s fault that he’s miles above Collins and it had zero impact on the play.

That’s the definition of marginal contact.

Plus, Collins is IN THE CIRCLE. He literally has no right to be in that space.

I mean, I truly feel bad for Collins, but that’s not an offensive foul. It was just unfortunate.
"a poor addition to the board"
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,275

Post#92 » by Frank Dux » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Sheesh! Not just the dunk of the year, this will go down as one of the best ever.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#93 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 pm

thinktank wrote:
The-Power wrote:

It’s not Edward’s fault that he’s miles above Collins and it had zero impact on the play.

I mean, I truly feel bad for Collins, but that’s not an offensive foul. It was just unfortunate.

An outstretched arm making contact to the eye before any contact by the opponent occurs is a clear foul. It doesn't matter that Collins wouldn't have been able to stop the play anyway and it certainly doesn't matter he was in the circle as the point of contention is not about whether or not this was a charge.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,402

Post#94 » by Homerclease » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=2r3K1qCL2UmIu9zb8OVdDw
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#95 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:There's an inherent power at the end of every real dunk.

That power is not just the force required to throw the ball through the hoop. That power at the culmination of every real dunk is grabbing the rim.

Without it, it's too soft. It lacks the required "ending force" to seal the deal. It's incomplete, like kissing your date on her lips with your mouth hermetically shut. Most would still call that a "kiss", but those who know know you didn't really kiss her. You were right there but didn't "stick the landing".

Comparing a basketball dunk to kissing a girl.

Seek help :lol:

I'm an old, somewhat dignified, man, so the rhythm and tenor of the internet is a bit beyond me.

Analogies are teaching tools young man. When a person doesn't understand something, analogies are drawn to increase that understanding. Respectfully, any two things can be compared if the person making the comparison understands nuance.

Please xcuse my ignorance and old-school sensibilities. I come from a time before emojis, when we passed notes in class, car insurance was optional, and people actually communicated to be understood instead of trying to curry online attention, pseudo-likes, or even worse, pyrrhic victories.

Good day, sir. Carry on. You may have the last word, or emoji, whatever floats your boat.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,315

Post#96 » by r0drig0lac » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 pm

holy shiiiieee
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 915

Post#97 » by firedavidkahn » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Last one and I'm done. Perfect edit.

Read on Twitter
thinktank
Analyst

Post#98 » by thinktank » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 pm

The-Power wrote:
thinktank wrote:
The-Power wrote:I mean, it's an obvious offensive foul by the rules considering Edwards initiated contact with his stretched out arm to Collins' eye. There's not really a debate to be had here.

An outstretched arm making contact to the eye before any contact by the opponent occurs is a clear foul. It doesn't matter that Collins wouldn't have been able to stop the play anyway and it certainly doesn't matter he was in the circle as the point of contention is not about whether or not this was a charge.

It does matter. Collins is trying to draw body contact within the circle. Edwards is well into the air by the time contact is made. Hence, COLLINS is correctly called for the foul.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,024

Post#99 » by Dan33185 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:03 pm

thinktank
Analyst

Post#100 » by thinktank » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Something else I just saw. Edwards dunk follow through is what dislocated his finger on his left hand.

Return to The General Board